The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Are you really comparing the music industry today vs 1960? Or the way things were marketed? We live in a whole different world now.

Guns N' Roses have failed for years to release material and seize the opportunities and that's on them, but now is NOT the time.

Edited by Manfisman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Out of all the excuses supplied ''world news'' has to be the most comical: if seismic political events prohibited new music, there would have literally been no music released during the entirety of the 1960s! 

There is literally no limit to what people are willing to go to, to ''explain away'' Guns N' Roses' failings in this area of (no) new material - none!

But as a band with a shit reputation already, it just wouldn't make sense to do it NOW considering how easy it is to get backlash and "cancelled". I bet One In A Million would immediatly become relevant again, and the cancel culture would set their eyes on Axl.

Release something in a month or two, six months, a year? Sure, maybe. But now isn't the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AslatIE said:

But as a band with a shit reputation already, it just wouldn't make sense to do it NOW considering how easy it is to get backlash and "cancelled". I bet One In A Million would immediatly become relevant again, and the cancel culture would set their eyes on Axl.

Release something in a month or two, six months, a year? Sure, maybe. But now isn't the time.

If you want an excuse to not release something, there will always be something if you desire to find it. There is always some bit of ''news'' floating around that Rose's defenders can use as an excuse. 

The great artists, Dylan, Neil Young, Curtis Mayfield, comment and reflect on their own particular Zeitgeist, not retreat from it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manfisman said:

Maybe if it was only COVID I could agree with you. But right now with everything that's happening in the USA AND the virus, it would be crazy. How much do you think that it would stay on the news?

It would be like this:

GUNS N ROSES RELEASES NEW SINGLE

15 minutes later - HUNDREDS ARRESTED ON PROTESTS

20 minutes later - THE MILITARY IS ON THE STREET

1 hour later - 400K DIED BECAUSE OF COVID 19.

Which headline would you click? That's just not smart business.

I didn't mean right now, I meant before, in the recent past during quarantine - you know, like the others. Look, I'm not one of the chronic complainers, but on the other hand, let's not be apologetic for the band - but mainly the pathetic management - where it's not due. 

Edit: This, and this only, suffices as the argument: others have handled it (be it new music or yt videos), so could / could have GNR. However...

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you want an excuse to not release something, there will always be something if you desire to find it. There is always some bit of ''news'' floating around that Rose's defenders can use as an excuse. 

The great artists, Dylan, Neil Young, Curtis Mayfield, comment and reflect on their own particular Zeitgeist, not retreat from it.

How do you imagine it would work? Any material slated for a single would most likely be written, recorded and produced a while before the protests and the current situation. GN'R promoting themselves and their music just wouldn't sit right considering everything. Maybe if they wrote a new Civil War, denouncing brutality, maybe then it would be more accepted.

The majority is holding off on releases and pretty much anything, and postponing events. I think the smartest thing to do is to wait. A GN'R single or album would be huge, something to cheer about and all that. Releasing something like that during a time when the public is in a mass protest against police brutality isn't ideal. I would obviously love something new from GN'R, but right now, at this time, I'd rather wait the extra weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

How do you imagine it would work? Any material slated for a single would most likely be written, recorded and produced a while before the protests and the current situation. GN'R promoting themselves and their music just wouldn't sit right considering everything. Maybe if they wrote a new Civil War, denouncing brutality, maybe then it would be more accepted.

The majority is holding off on releases and pretty much anything, and postponing events. I think the smartest thing to do is to wait. A GN'R single or album would be huge, something to cheer about and all that. Releasing something like that during a time when the public is in a mass protest against police brutality isn't ideal. I would obviously love something new from GN'R, but right now, at this time, I'd rather wait the extra weeks.

Wont happen.... Axls got his tits in a twist over "bad orange man" ... Too busy on twitter than giving the fans something to enjoy an cheer about.... #zodiacvocals #lessprezbashing...

• Haha 1

Bands who say they care should release something with proceeds going to BLM charities, activits organisations and bail funds instead of just posting a black square.

Not suggesting release or promote new material or songs, but if bands who are already rich enough to not need the money want to use their platforms to make a difference for things they care about they should put anything from their vaults out there with all proceeds going towards those causes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Axl S said:

Bands who say they care should release something with proceeds going to BLM charities, activits organisations and bail funds instead of just posting a black square.

Not suggesting release or promote new material or songs, but if bands who are already rich enough to not need the money want to use their platforms to make a difference for things they care about they should put anything from their vaults out there with all proceeds going towards those causes.

You mix up two things:

One is, speaking your mind, and stand against racism. (posting black squares)

The other thing is, to release something, for charity and donation. (which of course is to be appreciated)

But what you say is, that artists have to "pay" with their creative output, to speak their mind up against racism.

Edited by EricA

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The 1960s was a period of turbulence: cold war (Cuban Missile Crisis, Berlin Wall etc etc); transpired war (Vietnam); race conflict and civil rights, political assassination (Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X) and student-radical protest. Do you think people like Dylan and Lennon said to themselves, perhaps it ''just wouldn't sit right considering everything'' before stalling future releases?

No one is saying that Guns N' Roses can't release music in turbulent times :lol: What is being said is that if they have a record ready to go then it makes sense to wait until the dust settles from the ongoing tumults before releasing it. 

As for your point on artists commenting on current events and not retreating from them: Guns N' Roses has never been an overtly political band. Their music isn't really replies to ongoing events. It is more about more overarching themes and social situations. It doesn't make sense that they should be eager to release an album now as a commentary upon what is happening, unless, of course, Axl had decided to shift his lyrics more towards politics and social questions. Then he might just think that now is the perfect time to release that music. But hopefully Axl has reached enough self-awareness to know that trying to force an album release to coincide with contemporary events is a tall task.

Besides, the current "official" excuse for not releasing is that COVID-19 delayed it, and I can't see any of the things you mention being as crippling to touring an album as the ongoing pandemic. People could release and tour during every year from 1960 to 1980 without any problems. They simply didn't have months long lockdowns to contend with.

Of course I wish the band would just release now anyway, and tour whenever possible. But I learnt long ago that what I want from the band is often not what I will get.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No one is saying that Guns N' Roses can't release music in turbulent times :lol: What is being said is that if they have a record ready to go then it makes sense to wait until the dust settles from the ongoing tumults before releasing it. 

As for your point on artists commenting on current events and not retreating from them: Guns N' Roses has never been an overtly political band. Their music isn't really replies to ongoing events. It is more about more overarching themes and social situations. It doesn't make sense that they should be eager to release an album now as a commentary upon what is happening, unless, of course, Axl had decided to shift his lyrics more towards politics and social questions. Then he might just think that now is the perfect time to release that music. But hopefully Axl has reached enough self-awareness to know that trying to force an album release to coincide with contemporary events is a tall task.

I'm not sure about this. While they aren't an 'overtly political' band, I'd venture to say they have always had a political undertone, wether it was for or against them (hello, Chinese Democracy!). It's hard to describe what lyrics for a new GNR album would sound like given we haven't heard NEW lyrics from this band or even Axl in almost 12 years. A lot of things have changed since then. Many more things have changed since the band were all young guns in the late 80's and early 90's forming their own opinions on things they themselves may have never been educated on..

So while, yes, the band have mostly been on about social situations and how they went about dealing with them in the past, the Axl that went on his own and did his own album with his band tells a different story. The Axl that spends most of his social media time, the only time we the fans ever get to hear his unedited opinion straight from the horses mouth, to bash the current administration tells a different story. The Duff that seems to be more willing to bring people together than tear them apart and fight for social justice (a man who used to make out and touch random fans on stage) tells a different story. The Slash the reminds everyone about animal rights over and over and over again tells a different story.

I don't know how you guys think the album (if it exists) couldn't or won't contain at least one modicum of political dribble. We know Axls stance on the issue. He has made himself vocal everywhere except fresh lyrics on a new Guns N' Roses track. His name was in the headlines for the way he felt less than a month ago. In fact, I'd venture to say that Hard Schools lyrics could be edited to make it in some way about good ol' Donnie. And if the song truly isn't about Donald, even 20 something years after it was initially written: 

then its just another Guns N' Roses song about a social situation with a friend gone wrong. And if thats the case, I don't understand how they refuse to play or release it, and the blame should fall nowhere but the band themselves, who if I had to bet have nothing written. Thats why they had to dig up a 20 year old Axl ‘lost dog’ just to have something to work on in the first place.

Edited by KeyserSoze

Also, I dont think the narrative is “RELEASE THE ALBUM EVEN DURING THIS PANDEMIC/RIOT CROSSOVER BECAUSE IM BORED!” But more: can we get any sort of clear cut information out of this band and their management at all? Or are the memebers that are in it just here for the money and they would rather use their real creativity on other ventures (dizzys covers/hookers & blow, franks other bands, Melissas production and studio work, living the dream/live album, tenderness, and id even venture to say AXL/DC because that was out of Axl’s realm even 2 years before that and was something new for him)

again, I have explained this before. The band doesnt need to release a full album RIGHT NOW. There are many, many, MANY things that need to be in play for a record to be released. Promotion. Singles. HYPE. All of that is nowhere to be found with this band. And the management that backs it seems to be incapable of handling anything efficiently. So you could say, much like the current world we are living in, its a little hard to have faith when history paints a different picture.  

Edited by KeyserSoze

53 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I'm not sure about this. While they aren't an 'overtly political' band, I'd venture to say they have always had a political undertone, wether it was for or against them (hello, Chinese Democracy!). 

Yes, absolutely, that's what I meant with their lyrics being more about overarching political themes and rarely commentaries on current events. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I don't know how you guys think the album (if it exists) couldn't or won't contain at least one modicum of political dribble. We know Axls stance on the issue. He has made himself vocal everywhere except fresh lyrics on a new Guns N' Roses track. His name was in the headlines for the way he felt less than a month ago. In fact, I'd venture to say that Hard Schools lyrics could be edited to make it in some way about good ol' Donnie. And if the song truly isn't about Donald, even 20 something years after it was initially written: 

then its just another Guns N' Roses song about a social situation with a friend gone wrong. And if thats the case, I don't understand how they refuse to play or release it, and the blame should fall nowhere but the band themselves, who if I had to bet have nothing written. Thats why they had to dig up a 20 year old Axl ‘lost dog’ just to have something to work on in the first place.

I don't think Axl will turn GN'R into a much more political band. And I think he can separate his personal outspokenness on political issues with song lyrics. The fact that politics obviously is important o him doesn't mean that he will use his band as a platform to get those ideas across. It is also not entirely correct to paint Axl as someone who has just now found a political voice - he had political opinions before as well and refrained from filling his song lyrics with them, except for more social topics. Axl has always been interested in politics and has previously also given political statements on the private, when asked. He simply hasn't had twitter before which is a gamechanging platform for people to voice their opinion and he hasn't been confronted with the Trump administration before either, which creates the illusion that Axl someone just now woke from a slumber and got politically interested.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The 1960s was a period of turbulence: cold war (Cuban Missile Crisis, Berlin Wall etc etc); transpired war (Vietnam); race conflict and civil rights, political assassination (Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X) and student-radical protest. Do you think people like Dylan and Lennon said to themselves, perhaps it ''just wouldn't sit right considering everything'' before stalling future releases?

It's different times today. Due to social media, the threshold for backlash is extremely low. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather wait the extra weeks to release something. The scale of voices on the internet, and cancel culture is hard to measure, but perhaps easier to predict. 

It is a pointless discussion, though. GN'R isn't releasing anything anytime soon. We got word of the reunion months before it was official, we knew about Axl/DC before it was official. I'm willing to bet that when/if an album is approaching, we'll probably know weeks, or months in advance of its announcement.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No one is saying that Guns N' Roses can't release music in turbulent times

A better statement would be, Guns N' Roses can't release music full stop! And regarding Guns N' Roses not being ''an overtly political band'', it is a little difficult to say that with much confidence considering they never release music to remind us about what (lyrically) type of band they actually are! 

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

And regarding Guns N' Roses not being ''an overtly political band'', it is a little difficult to say that with much confidence considering they never release music to remind us about what (lyrically) type of band they actually are! 

but DO release shirts that say 'Covid 45' on them..

• Like 1

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

but DO release shirts that say 'Covid 45' on them..

Good point.

There is certainly enough political there, 'Civil War' and with the newgnr thing 'Chinese Democracy' and 'Riyadh'. And my point about the 1960s could be made just as easily if I was discussing Herman and the Hermit rather than Lennon and Dylan!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Good point.

There is certainly enough political there, 'Civil War' and with the newgnr thing 'Chinese Democracy' and 'Riyadh'. And my point about the 1960s could be made just as easily if I was discussing Herman and the Hermit rather than Lennon and Dylan!

Did Herman and the Hermits release music while there was an ongoing crippling pandemic? That's why they couldn't get any milk? 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Did Herman and the Hermits release music while there was an ongoing crippling pandemic? That's why they couldn't get any milk? 

During the small pox epidemic of the eighteen century, Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven were prolific. During the Spanish Flu of 1918 Irving Berlin and Al Jolson were active.