The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, EricA said:

I've always thought this is one here, damn, at the wrong place the whole time.

It's definitely therapy! Everyone slowly but steadily removing themselves from an addiction via being confronted by increasingly stark images of bad merchandise and identical setlists. 

40 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's definitely therapy! Everyone slowly but steadily removing themselves from an addiction via being confronted by increasingly stark images of bad merchandise and identical setlists. 

Don't know if to laugh or cry

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

To he fair with Josh drumming on that album there was more members of "Guns n Roses" on that album than there was in Guns n Roses by that point, as even MK2-3 Guns (Bucket lineup etc) had moved into MK4-5. 

Edit: Ain't Life Grand is a fantastic album, check that out.

Totally agree. Ain't Life Grand is easily the best album Slash has been a part of since use your illusion IMO. Huge improvement from the first snakepit album (maybe because the whole lineup, sans Slash, was exchanged) . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Naupis said:

GNR fans everywhere will forever owe a debt of gratitude to Myles Kennedy.

In a pre-reunion world where it looked like Axl/Slash would never share the stage again he was  responsible for Slash being able to revisit the GNR catalog again in ways he hadn't been able to in the 15+ year period after he left the band.

GNR is a notoriously hard band to cover without sounding like bad karaoke, so Slash was essentially limited over the years to the "easy" ones like Brownstone and It's so Easy that can be more easily handled. 

Myles range however let him thread that needle of having a guy who can credibly sing the songs without sounding like he's trying to be an Axl impersonator or  lead a cover band. People don't appreciate how hard that is to do, and the fact he is  the first guy Slash trusted in that way since leaving GNR  should tell you how much he respects his talent.

As someone who just missed the band's height before breaking up in 93 (I was born in 81) it was thrilling to finally get to hear Slash playing SCOM,Nightrain, Civil War, YCBM  and others on a nightly basis after fearing I might never get a chance to see him do it live.

I finally got to see GNR with the reunion, but will always be thankful Slash found Myles at a time when I was wondering if I would ever get to see Slash rip through the  GNR classics and  have them sound damn good in  the process.

Myles took an impossible assignment and more than credibly pulled it off without ever looking like DJ Ashba parody trying to be Slash when faced with a similar task. He was humble, sang the songs, and never tried to be something he's not and I think that is  why people respected Slash's band the way they did as it never came off as trying to be a GNR cover band even when they were playing the songs (musically they actually sound more like GNR did than GNR does these days).

I stand by that much of the supposed backlash on this board against Myles was because  deep down in places people don't want to admit they knew he was doing a good job and wished like hell Axl would be  a professional like that who took it as seriously, keeps himself in shape, looking good and sounding good despite growing older. Axl wouldn't have become the butt of jokes as he has if he took his job even half as seriously as Myles does. The constant attacks on the  guy in these parts actually struck me more as the school yard kid who goes up and harasses  the girl he really likes while telling anyone who will listen how much he hates her.

1000% agree, that was very well written. I was very excited to see videos of them playing Nightrain, PC, Civil War, etc on the first tour and them playing Beggars & Hangers On got me into the Snakepit material.

8 hours ago, Naupis said:

GNR fans everywhere will forever owe a debt of gratitude to Myles Kennedy.

In a pre-reunion world where it looked like Axl/Slash would never share the stage again he was  responsible for Slash being able to revisit the GNR catalog again in ways he hadn't been able to in the 15+ year period after he left the band.

GNR is a notoriously hard band to cover without sounding like bad karaoke, so Slash was essentially limited over the years to the "easy" ones like Brownstone and It's so Easy that can be more easily handled. 

Myles range however let him thread that needle of having a guy who can credibly sing the songs without sounding like he's trying to be an Axl impersonator or  lead a cover band. People don't appreciate how hard that is to do, and the fact he is  the first guy Slash trusted in that way since leaving GNR  should tell you how much he respects his talent.

As someone who just missed the band's height before breaking up in 93 (I was born in 81) it was thrilling to finally get to hear Slash playing SCOM,Nightrain, Civil War, YCBM  and others on a nightly basis after fearing I might never get a chance to see him do it live.

I finally got to see GNR with the reunion, but will always be thankful Slash found Myles at a time when I was wondering if I would ever get to see Slash rip through the  GNR classics and  have them sound damn good in  the process.

Myles took an impossible assignment and more than credibly pulled it off without ever looking like DJ Ashba parody trying to be Slash when faced with a similar task. He was humble, sang the songs, and never tried to be something he's not and I think that is  why people respected Slash's band the way they did as it never came off as trying to be a GNR cover band even when they were playing the songs (musically they actually sound more like GNR did than GNR does these days).

I stand by that much of the supposed backlash on this board against Myles was because  deep down in places people don't want to admit they knew he was doing a good job and wished like hell Axl would be  a professional like that who took it as seriously, keeps himself in shape, looking good and sounding good despite growing older. Axl wouldn't have become the butt of jokes as he has if he took his job even half as seriously as Myles does. The constant attacks on the  guy in these parts actually struck me more as the school yard kid who goes up and harasses  the girl he really likes while telling anyone who will listen how much he hates her.

Thank you for this post, man!

it is beautifully written and you said it all as it should be - Myles stepping in, Slash revitalizing GnR songs and Axl's unseriousnes!

48 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Totally agree. Ain't Life Grand is easily the best album Slash has been a part of since use your illusion IMO. Huge improvement from the first snakepit album (maybe because the whole lineup, sans Slash, was exchanged) . 

Ain't Life Grand rocks.

Why does it sound so different than everything else he's done?

I want to say it sounds "blacker" but I don't even know what that means. But doesn't it? And I don't just mean Rod Jackson... or maybe I do... does Slash really just adapt to his vocalist that strongly? I don't think so... he seems to come up with his ideas in isolation. 

But something like Shine... or Mean Bone, Just Like Anything...The Truth.... like, they just have this... not R&B, but... some kinda vibe... does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Somehow it musically seems to indulge Slash's cheeseball instincts the least -- even on a cheesy ass song like Speed Parade :D 

Edited by Ant

9 hours ago, Naupis said:

Beautifully said, your whole post! Regarding this specific point, I remember seeing Slash with Myles opening for Ozzy years back and this was pre-reunion and it meant so much to be to get to hear Slash play Nightrain, PC, SCOM, etc. with a band again and get to hear his guitar on the songs I grew up being inspired by

I remember that was shortly after seeing GNR and after the show I was mentally trying to imagine  Slash's performance I just witnessed with Axl's vocals I saw a few months back to imagine a reunion in my head lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ant said:

Ain't Life Grand rocks.

I want to say it sounds "blacker" but I don't even know what that means. But doesn't it? And I don't just mean Rod Jackson... or maybe I do... like does Slash really just adapt to his vocalist that strongly? I don't think so... he seems to come up with his ideas in isolation. 

But something like Shine... or Mean Bone, Just Like Anything... like, they just have this... not R&B, but... some kinda vibe... does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Somehow it musically seems to indulge Slash's cheeseball instincts the least -- even on a cheesy ass song like Speed Parade :D 

I hear you. Slash has (as we all know) always been a blues-influenced guitar player, but this is the most bluesy guitar playing I've heard from him. Maybe it was because he was out with Slash's Blues Ball just prior to the writing/recording of this album? It could also be an influence from the other musicians, specifically Rod Jackson, who is apparently also very blues (and soul)-influenced.

Edited by Homefuck

That would be the way to go for Slash, get together with a soul singer!

Or a rock singer with tons of soul going on.

Like the dude from Vintage Trouble. Oh man, I would LOVE to hear that! Slash with Lenny Kravitz was fantastic, Rod Jackson was great. There's really nothing left to do with Myles, it all sounds the same, in a bad way.

9 minutes ago, Dangelus said:

People hating on Myles, yet Classic Rock magazine just awarded Alter Bridge’s Blackbird the 3rd best song of the 21st Century. Axl can only dream of making that kind of impact today.

Ok and if you ask people randomly on the street if they heard of Alter Bridge they will say "Who?" 

But yet people still listen to GUns N Roses and know that Axl/DC was the most legendary event in the past 10 years for music.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, dragan1978 said:

Thank you for this post, man!

it is beautifully written and you said it all as it should be - Myles stepping in, Slash revitalizing GnR songs and Axl's unseriousnes!

Nobody actually thinks that. Its just because Axl is always the villian for everything. Axl Rose saving AC/DC  and shutting the haters up will always top anything Myles "Dying Cat" Kennedy will ever do

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Ain't Life Grand rocks.

I want to say it sounds "blacker" but I don't even know what that means. But doesn't it? And I don't just mean Rod Jackson... or maybe I do... does Slash really just adapt to his vocalist that strongly? I don't think so... he seems to come up with his ideas in isolation. 

But something like Shine... or Mean Bone, Just Like Anything...The Truth.... like, they just have this... not R&B, but... some kinda vibe... does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Sleazy rock and roll band, good drumming*, bluesy singer with attitude, and Jack Douglas (Aerosmith) producing.

What's not to like?!

Wish they had done more.

One of my favourite all time gigs (possibly my favourite) was Snakepit at Sheffield Corporation, UK in 2000. Tiny crowd. Sweaty venue. Pure rock n roll. Fan-fucking-tastic. I lost my t-shirt from that gig when I moved house one time only a few years back, keep thinking it "must be somewhere" but never found it. I'm pretty sure some of the t shirts for sale at that gig showed a lady doing "questionable" things with a snake, with the Snakepit logo over the top (I bought a different one - the album cover t shirt).

*On the drumming - I suspect it was played live and not to a click track, which also massively helps. One of my issues with "Slash 2010" is the drums - Josh is a quality drummer but it is clearly a "session" for him so sounds very robotic, not worked out in a band setting so no real feeling, and to a click. A real "band" drummer will play live a few gigs to learn what fills work, tweak a bit, play off the bassist, improve, adapt, rinse and repeat until they have the song nailed - then record it. Just Like Anything from Ain't Life Grand is a perfect example of that.

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

The merch website is really selling nothing of interest right now. Worst I've seen it in the four years since they started using the classic bullet logo again on most items.

4 hours ago, Dangelus said:

People hating on Myles, yet Classic Rock magazine just awarded Alter Bridge’s Blackbird the 3rd best song of the 21st Century. Axl can only dream of making that kind of impact today.

Who cares what Classic Rock Magazine has to say? :lol: Sure, their publications may result in some industry cred, but the impact of NITL to Axl's wallet and GNR's clout is much greater. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

One of my favourite all time gigs (possibly my favourite) was Snakepit at Sheffield Corporation, UK in 2000. Tiny crowd. Sweaty venue. Pure rock n roll. Fan-fucking-tastic.

That kind of anecdote is why I don't think Slash really cares about money past a certain point... I bet he was having a blast. It's why I don't think his tenure in GNR is guaranteed if nothing new happens. People always talk about that divorce... what does Slash spend money on?? Dinosaur toys and pinball machines? He lives out of a suitcase and gets everything for free. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Beautifully said, your whole post! Regarding this specific point, I remember seeing Slash with Myles opening for Ozzy years back and this was pre-reunion and it meant so much to be to get to hear Slash play Nightrain, PC, SCOM, etc. with a band again and get to hear his guitar on the songs I grew up being inspired by

I remember that was shortly after seeing GNR and after the show I was mentally trying to imagine  Slash's performance I just witnessed with Axl's vocals I saw a few months back to imagine a reunion in my head lol

Ain't Life Grand is damn good but doesn't come close to It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere IMO.

14 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Will do, thanks! I had no idea Josh Freese was the drummer on Slash. So awesome!

After they get CD2 (or whatever) out, hopefully they make some great new stuff together.

If you aren't familiar with Slash's Snakepit you have to give both albums a listen. They've got nothing to do with Slash's later output.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ant said:

That kind of anecdote is why I don't think Slash really cares about money past a certain point... I bet he was having a blast. It's why I don't think his tenure in GNR is guaranteed if nothing new happens. People always talk about that divorce... what does Slash spend money on?? Dinosaur toys and pinball machines? He lives out of a suitcase and gets everything for free. 

With being in guns for the last 4 years and with no new gnr music hes been playing to a standard setlist. For SMKC, he releases an album every 2 years, tours for 18 months changing setlists here and there,  rinse and repeat. I can bet hes feeling creativly unfulfilled in guns.