Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. And for the people saying that they don't like the SMKC songs because they're too generic or whatever, I guarantee that if it were Axl singing on some of those songs and they were released under the GnR name you all would be all over them.

But thats exactly due to the Axl effect...He makes everything he sings on better.

You just said it right there...if Myles sings it we overlook it, if Axls there, well, the song becomes better immediatly

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. And for the people saying that they don't like the SMKC songs because they're too generic or whatever, I guarantee that if it were Axl singing on some of those songs and they were released under the GnR name you all would be all over them.

It depends, would Axl be keeping the same vocal melodies as Myles had?  If so, I don't know if I would be impressed too much.  I am not a fan of Shotgun Blues for example, for that very reason - just a very paint by numbers GNR song that just is a bit forgettable in my opinion

But if Axl re-writes a melody that turns "Generic Slash riff song #1" into a more memorable tune overall I would say Axl-ifying it would make it all the more better.  Or if GNR takes Slash's initial idea and adds onto it like the band did back in the day

At least for myself, I don't consider me thinking that the songwriting in SMKC is lacking overall, to be a double standard in that sense.  My main gripe is the generic songwriting, not how Myles sings the songs tonally

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

But thats exactly due to the Axl effect...He makes everything he sings on better.

You just said it right there...if Myles sings it we overlook it, if Axls there, well, the song becomes better immediatly

Not when he's doing Mickey Mouse, then it's not better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Not when he's doing Mickey Mouse, then it's not better.

Of course it's not becoming better immediatly when Axl is singing something. So many CD songs already proofed that.

But I tend to believe that there is (or was) some kind of chemistry between Axl and Slash, that Axl is just the better fit for him. I said it earlier, I love many songs Slash has written and released over the last 3 decades, but I think Axl and Izzy could have improved all of them.

Axl's work ethic is another story...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

John Frusciante just confirmed that the Chili Peppers will be recording their new album starting next week and into next month.

Even a recluse like Frusciante is getting shit done with his band, while also working on two different solo albums and even a radio show now. Axl has no excuse!

Link? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 4:54 AM, Blackstar said:

I read that Myles is working on a new solo album currently - and, logically, he'll want to tour it when tours start again. So, I guess, there are no plans for SMKC in the near future (I won't pretend that I'm unhappy about this :D).

He confirmed it on Download TV. He said he has two albums basically written but hadn't decided which one he would be putting out. I for one quite enjoy SMKC but Myles solo show that I saw was frankly just a little bit better than that SMKC show I saw so I'm okay if it means another Myles solo tour. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 9:50 PM, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's like Groundhog Day in here.

Groundhog Day was adapted into a broadway musical, for which there is an official cast album recording. Basically what I'm saying is Groundhog Day resulted in new music faster than GN'R.

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dragan1978 said:

Myles is a fantastic guitar player and has absolutely great vocal, no question about it!!!

and I do understand if you do not like it, it is alright

just wanted to say anything positive about Myles as you all just bitch about him

 

Totally agree.

To preface, I am as hardcore a GN'R fan as anyone. IMO vintage AXL is the best rock & roll voice I've ever heard.

I had no clue who Myles Kennedy was until I went to one of SLASH's shows in 2010 at the Warfield Theater in SF for his solo album. At the show I then realized, "ok this is the guy that sings Starlight and Back to Cali". Which just happened to be among my favorite songs on that album.

After the show, I began investigating and listening to Alter Bridge, who I was only luke warm to for a while. But over time, I've grown to really love AB and, by proxy, Myles.

I've enjoyed each of the SMKC albums released to this point in time.

Myles isn't vintage AXL, of course. But I still really like his vocals on most songs. Like any vocalist, there are songs I'm not wild about. But on the whole he is very good IMO. When singing GN'R tunes, he offers a different (not equal, certainly not better) spin on the material. I'm very ok with it. I even like when Todd 'Dammit' Kerns sings WTTJ. It's different. And not terrible.

In reality, folks complaining about Myles singing GN'R material is no different than AC/DC fans complaining about AXL singing AC/DC's catalogue. While many were pleasantly surprised at the result, they still greatly prefer Brian Johnson. And rightfully so.

The other thing about Myles is that I greatly appreciate his guitar work. He's very underrated in that regard. His portion of the solo on Blackbird is phenomenal, as is Tremonti's. I really think he and SLASH work well together as guitarists and musicians. I greatly prefer AXl and SLASH, but in a world where we can have both, I'm quite alright with it.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thunderram said:

 

Totally agree.

To preface, I am as hardcore a GN'R fan as anyone. IMO vintage AXL is the best rock & roll voice I've ever heard.

I had no clue who Myles Kennedy was until I went to one of SLASH's shows in 2010 at the Warfield Theater in SF for his solo album. At the show I then realized, "ok this is the guy that sings Starlight and Back to Cali". Which just happened to be among my favorite songs on that album.

After the show, I began investigating and listening to Alter Bridge, who I was only luke warm to for a while. But over time, I've grown to really love AB and, by proxy, Myles.

I've enjoyed each of the SMKC albums released to this point in time.

Myles isn't vintage AXL, of course. But I still really like his vocals on most songs. Like any vocalist, there are songs I'm not wild about. But on the whole he is very good IMO. When singing GN'R tunes, he offers a different (not equal, certainly not better) spin on the material. I'm very ok with it. I even like when Todd 'Dammit' Kerns sings WTTJ. It's different. And not terrible.

In reality, folks complaining about Myles singing GN'R material is no different than AC/DC fans complaining about AXL singing AC/DC's catalogue. While many were pleasantly surprised at the result, they still greatly prefer Brian Johnson. And rightfully so.

The other thing about Myles is that I greatly appreciate his guitar work. He's very underrated in that regard. His portion of the solo on Blackbird is phenomenal, as is Tremonti's. I really think he and SLASH work well together as guitarists and musicians. I greatly prefer AXl and SLASH, but in a world where we can have both, I'm quite alright with it.

Totally support your post :)

also, when I found about Alter bridge, it was a slow grower too but now it is in my top 5 bands, they are amazing!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

John Frusciante just confirmed that the Chili Peppers will be recording their new album starting next week and into next month.

Even a recluse like Frusciante is getting shit done with his band, while also working on two different solo albums and even a radio show now. Axl has no excuse!

Fernandos response "we're not RHCP, there are different circumstances at play" he didn't actually say that, but it's his cut and paste BS response to anything related to actually getting new music out.

As for Axl, I don't count he works on material... but I'm starting to think it's just another Prince vault thing, where he records for his own pleasure without intent of releasing anything, or if he does release something it needs to be the exact right time and band surrounding him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Myles is also very prolific - since 2004 he's released 6 Alter Bridge albums, 4 live Alter Bridge albums, 3 SMKC albums, 3 live SMKC albums, a solo album, and regularly toured all the above.

I was about to say this too. Myles has released 10 studio albums compared to one GNR album in the same time period. At least he delivers for his fans, unlike a certain other singer who seems to enjoy trolling his. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Italian girl said:

thanks God :P

Ha! I 100% agree. Although, seeing RHCP in 2018 was was better than any sleeping pill... so they have their use!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Ha! I 100% agree. Although, seeing RHCP in 2018 was was better than any sleeping pill... so they have their use!

They’re more energetic when Frusciante is around though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

They’re more energetic when Frusciante is around though!

Sorry! Not trying to shit on them, but I've watched them with Frusciante and and it's hit and miss. Anthony looks like he'd like to be anywhere but on stage a lot of the time, reminds me of Axl dragging his feet at the 02 in Dublin 2010. When I saw them in 2018, Flea was doing his schtick, and the rest of the band just looked bored... and completely separate from each other... didn't seem like there was much love, and almost zero interaction with each other. I remember when they used to be fun and energetic. The music they play just doesn't work if they are up their gritting their teeth until the end.

I love some of their music, and some of their live stuff from the early 90s late 80s was great, but they are an energy void for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Sorry! Not trying to shit on them, but I've watched them with Frusciante and and it's hit and miss. Anthony looks like he'd like to be anywhere but on stage a lot of the time, reminds me of Axl dragging his feet at the 02 in Dublin 2010. When I saw them in 2018, Flea was doing his schtick, and the rest of the band just looked bored... and completely separate from each other... didn't seem like there was much love, and almost zero interaction with each other. I remember when they used to be fun and energetic. The music they play just doesn't work if they are up their gritting their teeth until the end.

I love some of their music, and some of their live stuff from the early 90s late 80s was great, but they are an energy void for me!

They were a more exciting live band in the late 80s and early 90s, I’ll give you that! I think a lot of it just has to do with age, tho. GnR look kinda bored these days too, to be fair.

Edited by rocknroll41
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

They were a more exciting live band in the late 80s and early 90s, I’ll give you that! I think a lot of it just has to do with age, tho. GnR look kinda bored these days too, to be fair.

Well at points every band is going to look a bit bored especially after 4 years of mostly the same songs. A gnr concert from 93 compared to now in terms of showmanship is relatively the same as a concert in 2020. As far as the actual musical bits go, that's another story. Kiedis is also flat as a pancake live, he makes JBJ look like an opera singer... but in his favour he still sounds like the records, which Axl is definitely struggling with.

Same goes for Pearl Jam! the music has all this energy and then you look on stage, there's zero in stage show, the band members look like they just finished their shift at the local college.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Myles is also very prolific - since 2004 he's released 6 Alter Bridge albums, 4 live Alter Bridge albums, 3 SMKC albums, 3 live SMKC albums, a solo album, and regularly toured all the above.

Not to mention wrote and recorded another solo album which he shelved and because he believes songs have a shelf life he won't release it. (Wrote 2 more during quarantine). In addition to 2 albums with The Mayfield Four in 1999 and 2002 which aren't half bad albums either!

 

He is quite the workhorse.

Edited by The Dissident
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 8:47 PM, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. And for the people saying that they don't like the SMKC songs because they're too generic or whatever, I guarantee that if it were Axl singing on some of those songs and they were released under the GnR name you all would be all over them.

Slash with Myles Kennedy reminds be of Black Sabbath with Tony Martin. Kennedy, like Martin, is technically a very good singer, but there are a lot of good singers out there. Both Martin and Kennedy are just really, really generic, there's nothing special about either one. I also think Kennedy is a much better fit in Alter Bridge. I'd take Axl in 2020 over Myles and it's not even close and I would never compare the two. 

If Axl sang on those SMKC albums it would be a huge improvement, but I think Axll and the rest of the band would work with the material and make it even better. 

 

 

 

Edited by RichardNixon
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

If Axl sang on those SMKC albums it would be a huge improvement, but I think Axll and the rest of the band would work with the material and make it even better. 

 

Slash's 2008 solo album is pretty much his only solo work (non GN'R or VR) I enjoy. Nothing against the talented vocalists on that album, but I always thought it would have been killer with Axl on most of those songs. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Slash's 2008 solo album is pretty much his only solo work (non GN'R or VR) I enjoy. Nothing against the talented vocalists on that album, but I always thought it would have been killer with Axl on most of those songs. 

To he fair with Josh drumming on that album there was more members of "Guns n Roses" on that album than there was in Guns n Roses by that point, as even MK2-3 Guns (Bucket lineup etc) had moved into MK4-5. 

Edit: Ain't Life Grand is a fantastic album, check that out.

Edited by ToonGuns
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...