The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Ain't Life Grand rocks.

Why does it sound so different than everything else he's done?

I want to say it sounds "blacker" but I don't even know what that means. But doesn't it? And I don't just mean Rod Jackson... or maybe I do... does Slash really just adapt to his vocalist that strongly? I don't think so... he seems to come up with his ideas in isolation. 

But something like Shine... or Mean Bone, Just Like Anything...The Truth.... like, they just have this... not R&B, but... some kinda vibe... does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Sleazy rock and roll band, good drumming*, bluesy singer with attitude, and Jack Douglas (Aerosmith) producing.

What's not to like?!

Wish they had done more.

One of my favourite all time gigs (possibly my favourite) was Snakepit at Sheffield Corporation, UK in 2000. Tiny crowd. Sweaty venue. Pure rock n roll. Fan-fucking-tastic. I lost my t-shirt from that gig when I moved house one time only a few years back, keep thinking it "must be somewhere" but never found it. I'm pretty sure some of the t shirts for sale at that gig showed a lady doing "questionable" things with a snake, with the Snakepit logo over the top (I bought a different one - the album cover t shirt).

*On the drumming - I suspect it was played live and not to a click track, which also massively helps. One of my issues with "Slash 2010" is the drums - Josh is a quality drummer but it is clearly a "session" for him so sounds very robotic, not worked out in a band setting so no real feeling, and to a click. A real "band" drummer will play live a few gigs to learn what fills work, tweak a bit, play off the bassist, improve, adapt, rinse and repeat until they have the song nailed - then record it. Just Like Anything from Ain't Life Grand is a perfect example of that.

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Might as well bust this out again:

Posted Images

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It's definitely therapy! Everyone slowly but steadily removing themselves from an addiction via being confronted by increasingly stark images of bad merchandise and identical setlists. 

The merch website is really selling nothing of interest right now. Worst I've seen it in the four years since they started using the classic bullet logo again on most items.

4 hours ago, Dangelus said:

People hating on Myles, yet Classic Rock magazine just awarded Alter Bridge’s Blackbird the 3rd best song of the 21st Century. Axl can only dream of making that kind of impact today.

Who cares what Classic Rock Magazine has to say? :lol: Sure, their publications may result in some industry cred, but the impact of NITL to Axl's wallet and GNR's clout is much greater. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

One of my favourite all time gigs (possibly my favourite) was Snakepit at Sheffield Corporation, UK in 2000. Tiny crowd. Sweaty venue. Pure rock n roll. Fan-fucking-tastic.

That kind of anecdote is why I don't think Slash really cares about money past a certain point... I bet he was having a blast. It's why I don't think his tenure in GNR is guaranteed if nothing new happens. People always talk about that divorce... what does Slash spend money on?? Dinosaur toys and pinball machines? He lives out of a suitcase and gets everything for free. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

Runnin' Down a Dream into aggressive beginner Guitar Center riff.

Prolly not the basis for a song. 

Edited by Ant
7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Beautifully said, your whole post! Regarding this specific point, I remember seeing Slash with Myles opening for Ozzy years back and this was pre-reunion and it meant so much to be to get to hear Slash play Nightrain, PC, SCOM, etc. with a band again and get to hear his guitar on the songs I grew up being inspired by

I remember that was shortly after seeing GNR and after the show I was mentally trying to imagine  Slash's performance I just witnessed with Axl's vocals I saw a few months back to imagine a reunion in my head lol

Ain't Life Grand is damn good but doesn't come close to It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere IMO.

14 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Will do, thanks! I had no idea Josh Freese was the drummer on Slash. So awesome!

After they get CD2 (or whatever) out, hopefully they make some great new stuff together.

If you aren't familiar with Slash's Snakepit you have to give both albums a listen. They've got nothing to do with Slash's later output.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ant said:

That kind of anecdote is why I don't think Slash really cares about money past a certain point... I bet he was having a blast. It's why I don't think his tenure in GNR is guaranteed if nothing new happens. People always talk about that divorce... what does Slash spend money on?? Dinosaur toys and pinball machines? He lives out of a suitcase and gets everything for free. 

With being in guns for the last 4 years and with no new gnr music hes been playing to a standard setlist. For SMKC, he releases an album every 2 years, tours for 18 months changing setlists here and there,  rinse and repeat. I can bet hes feeling creativly unfulfilled in guns.

7 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Nobody actually thinks that. Its just because Axl is always the villian for everything. Axl Rose saving AC/DC  and shutting the haters up will always top anything Myles "Dying Cat" Kennedy will ever do

Hey man, you missed the point!

no one is hater here!

Axl saved Ac/dc, improved his stage lateness, sings for more than 3hours which is unbelievable and we all love him here!

he is not serious about releasing albums

Myles is a ,,dying cat"? Common, man! You may not like him as a singer but to name him like that is childish! 

and do not talk in the name of everyone saying ,,nobody" - you can speak for yourself or at least majority but I highly doubt it. 

when you put all the differences aside, they are both great singers, that is the truth!

now do not get in war with me because that is not my goal here :)

11 hours ago, Dangelus said:

People hating on Myles, yet Classic Rock magazine just awarded Alter Bridge’s Blackbird the 3rd best song of the 21st Century. Axl can only dream of making that kind of impact today.

Say what? Axl just did one of the biggest tours of all time. If that's not having an impact I don't know what it is. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, History2010 said:

Why is it hard for some people to understand that some of us just don't like how Myles sounds? I've listened to all the albums, watched a large amount of live videos and then went and watched SMKC live in person and it just doesn't do anything for me. It has nothing to do with jealousy or whatever LMAO

I will always pick Mickey because at the end of the day that's still Axl Rose and there's no one like him while there's a whole lot of artists like Myles Kennedy.

Same for me, it isn’t anything to do with being upset because Axl can’t sing how he used to any more. SMKC bore me to death. I’ve bought their albums and been to see them live and it was all very meh. Myles’ voice makes GnR songs sound completely different imo so I can’t even enjoy when they play them either. 

I really really wish I could like them because they release albums and live shows - but I can’t :shrugs:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Sleazy rock and roll band, good drumming*, bluesy singer with attitude, and Jack Douglas (Aerosmith) producing.

What's not to like?!

Wish they had done more.

One of my favourite all time gigs (possibly my favourite) was Snakepit at Sheffield Corporation, UK in 2000. Tiny crowd. Sweaty venue. Pure rock n roll. Fan-fucking-tastic. I lost my t-shirt from that gig when I moved house one time only a few years back, keep thinking it "must be somewhere" but never found it. I'm pretty sure some of the t shirts for sale at that gig showed a lady doing "questionable" things with a snake, with the Snakepit logo over the top (I bought a different one - the album cover t shirt).

I went to that Snakepit show in Sheffield too and I would still rank it in my top 5 gigs of all time. Every band I saw after that seemed tame :lol:

3 hours ago, History2010 said:

Why is it hard for some people to understand that some of us just don't like how Myles sounds? I've listened to all the albums, watched a large amount of live videos and then went and watched SMKC live in person and it just doesn't do anything for me. It has nothing to do with jealousy or whatever LMAO

I will always pick Mickey because at the end of the day that's still Axl Rose and there's no one like him while there's a whole lot of artists like Myles Kennedy.

Exactly. I wish I could like SMKC, but I don't. 

And it's got nothing to do with being jealous that Axl can't sing anymore. I'm perfectly capable of disliking both Myles' singing AND Axl's current singing.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Ain't Life Grand is damn good but doesn't come close to It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere IMO.

ALG was good musically but Rod Jackson never did it for me on most of the songs.. He sounds good on some though.

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Same for me, it isn’t anything to do with being upset because Axl can’t sing how he used to any more. SMKC bore me to death. I’ve bought their albums and been to see them live and it was all very meh. Myles’ voice makes GnR songs sound completely different imo so I can’t even enjoy when they play them either. 

I really really wish I could like them because they release albums and live shows - but I can’t :shrugs:

7 hours ago, History2010 said:

Is there anybody who doesn't understand that? I think it's the opposite. Most people pretend that Myles sucks as a fact and not as opinion.

How could somebody argue about personal taste? I mean, occasionally Axl sounds like dog shit to my ears but I couldn't care less if you prefer him over Myles. 

I think technically Myles is really good and maybe some of the best singers out there but I don't really like his timbre. I accept him on most of the songs and there aren't many moments of greatness to my ears. I like his melodies but mostly love the songs because of Slash.

That being said, I would never act like it's a fact that he sucks or start to discredit people who prefers Axl nowadays. 

• Like 1
On 6/23/2020 at 2:23 AM, dragan1978 said:

Totally support your post :)

also, when I found about Alter bridge, it was a slow grower too but now it is in my top 5 bands, they are amazing!

Absolutely, they are. I actually somewhat liked Creed back in the day, but much prefer Myles Kennedy to Scott Stapp. And now AB to Creed.

I really dig Mark Tremonti's style and think he and Myles work really well together. That's another other thing I appreciate about Myles is how differently he compliments Tremonti and SLASH. Those two bands are so completely different. But I like them both.

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

ALG was good musically but Rod Jackson never did it for me on most of the songs.. He sounds good on some though.

I used to think he sounded cheesy... but now I don't.... at all, haha. Not sure what changed. All the songs have grown on me.

I'll take some overwrought soulful belting over middling sunset strip cliches, if we have to choose :D

If you wanna get Slash to stop noodling we need someone to turn to him and start belting it out into his face like Rod, haha. Then Slash will do the crouch and start foot stomping... you know what I'm talkin about!

Edited by Ant
19 hours ago, Ant said:

If you wanna get Slash to stop noodling we need someone to turn to him and start belting it out into his face like Rod, haha. Then Slash will do the crouch and start foot stomping... you know what I'm talkin about!

Not me, I will watch him "noodle" all day hahaha. Waiting for a good "Select" of his solo.. Hopefully not the Godfather.. They should have released a video of his solo into Sweet Child.. To me they go together.

On 25.6.2020 at 11:13 PM, Ant said:

I used to think he sounded cheesy... but now I don't.... at all, haha. Not sure what changed. All the songs have grown on me.

I'll take some overwrought soulful belting over middling sunset strip cliches, if we have to choose :D

Funny, I thought that too but I get used to over the years and the music is just fantastic. I still prefer Snakepit 1. But in fact, I had issues with every new singer Slash has worked with on a longer term after leaving Axl and Guns. They all had to grow on me for awhile. 

• Like 1