The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

The one thing that gives me hope for GNR being Slash’s focus is that Myles Kennedy’s next project is more solo material that he’ll want to tour. That as well as Alter Bridge’s tour being unfinished business doesn’t leave much room for SMKC and implies that Slash will be committed elsewhere for a long while.

52 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If GNR aren't actually making proper efforts to make a record, there's no way Slash is at home twiddling his thumbs. GNR either finish their record or he goes and starts sending ideas to Myles. Realistically SMKC won't be able to tour properly until 2022 though, so I can't see Slash being in a mad rush just to release something! great time for an EP though! 

Again, this all depends on if Slash thinks GNR are or are not close to completing or at least "very seriously looking at" the new record. While GNR continue to say absolutely nothing concrete about anything, it's hard to call... but Susan (as strange as it is to say) has been the bringer of good news before, so I'm inclined to believe they are working on music... like I've said a thousand times, the release is another question altogether!!

Slash did say he is focusing on Gn'R material right now. So he is mainly working on ideas that are meant to be used in Gn'R? I believe Susan and Slash so I think Slash jammed with Axl and also jammed with Duff cause they're trying to see what works. So maybe not close to completion, but finally at the stage of having the time and motivation to concentrate on composing and matching old and new ideas.

I think this is where it's taking shape. Axl does have a good instinct to kinda tell which ideas got great potential and which tunes can be key moments on an album, or a main part of his musical vision. (like how he recognized the potential of what became Fall To Pieces) and for Chinese they've worked with a quality list (aaa tunes, aa, a) so the approach could be the same this time as well.

as for releasing it, I agree that it's different but maybe if it ticks all the boxes musically, and lyrically, then he'll let go of it with the help of Slash and Duff and they would choose a way to release it. Still a long road ahead imo, but the inability to tour could lead to an even more prolific Slash and a greater chance of Axl liking at least some ideas enough to use.

Edited by Rovim

I remind you guys that Living The Dream was basically done in two weeks. Keep that in mind. Slash gathers different ideas for GNR and SMKC, working on one album doesn't rule out working on the other one ;) As far as I know the process started in 2019 and if I had to guess I'd say that songs are written from the bottom to the top, by each member of SMKC. 

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Slash did say he is focusing on Gn'R material right now. So he is mainly working on ideas that are meant to be used in Gn'R? I believe Susan and Slash so I think Slash jammed with Axl and also jammed with Duff cause they're trying to see what works. So maybe not close to completion, but finally at the stage of having the time and motivation to concentrate on composing and matching old and new ideas.

I think this is where it's taking shape. Axl does have a good instinct to kinda tell which ideas got great potential and which tunes can be key moments on an album, or a main part of his musical vision. (like how he recognized the potential of what became Fall To Pieces) and for Chinese they've worked with a quality list (aaa tunes, aa, a) so the approach could be the same this time as well.

as for releasing it, I agree that it's different but maybe if it ticks all the boxes musically, and lyrically, then he'll let go of it with the help of Slash and Duff and they would choose a way to release it. Still a long road ahead imo, but the inability to tour could lead to an even more prolific Slash and a greater chance of Axl liking at least some ideas enough to use.

I think he'll feel less pressure releasing this next record now that he has two other buddies with their heads on blocks beside him. I think he'll be just as collaborative as he was during the CD sessions.  

Let's remain cautiously optimistic for the end of the year or start of next, after that we can collectively give up😄

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I think he'll feel less pressure releasing this next record now that he has two other buddies with their heads on blocks beside him. I think he'll be just as collaborative as he was during the CD sessions.  

Let's remain cautiously optimistic for the end of the year or start of next, after that we can collectively give up😄

Its not gonna be released until they tour again..so you are looking at late next summer....and if the Americans continue to not treat Covid seriously... well ....we are going to be waiting longer than that

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

see... I don't think there's a deadline. We, as fans just project our own logical time frames on a Gn'R situation. With Axl as the leader of the band. It's likelier that it will happen if and when Axl feels the record is complete and there's a good enough of a release plan.

13 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

I remind you guys that Living The Dream was basically done in two weeks. Keep that in mind. Slash gathers different ideas for GNR and SMKC, working on one album doesn't rule out working on the other one ;) As far as I know the process started in 2019 and if I had to guess I'd say that songs are written from the bottom to the top, by each member of SMKC. 

They didn't record Living The Dream in 2 weeks, it was more like 4 or 5 months. Most of the songs were already written though. I think they've already got songs written for the next album too. Either way I hope they've been working on it so that it can come out sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

see... I don't think there's a deadline. We, as fans just project our own logical time frames on a Gn'R situation. With Axl as the leader of the band. It's likelier that it will happen if and when Axl feels the record is complete and there's a good enough of a release plan.

I agree with that... but there definitely is a deadline in when Axl can release a new record and still be able to perform the vocals he's recorded. We've watched him with the CD tracks This I love is gone, Better is up in a heap, TWAT is relegated to once in a blue moon... and this goes for half the record! longer he leaves it, the less likely he is to be able to sing these new songs... outside of him working his ass off to be match fit for the live stage.

10 hours ago, fowlerisgod said:

Its not gonna be released until they tour again..so you are looking at late next summer....and if the Americans continue to not treat Covid seriously... well ....we are going to be waiting longer than that

At some point if dates keep getting pushed, they might have to reevaluate their release plans... I mean, a month before covid they had no idea how they might release an album! I'm supposed to believe that they came up with a plan so good in that window of time that they can't take a detour? we all know this band, and know that just isn't true. BUT! I agree, it's likely they'll hold off until they have concerts ready... right or wrong. 

My personal opinion is, get the record out now, people are home and bored and would actually listen to the album. Waiting until normal happens - you are back at square one, trying to figure out how to get people to engage with your music rather than doing all the other million things they can do on any given day! They don't have to twist our arms, we will listen! but the average music fan just isn't aware of releases, even sometimes when records are everywhere! 

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree with that... but there definitely is a deadline in when Axl can release a new record and still be able to perform the vocals he's recorded. We've watched him with the CD tracks This I love is gone, Better is up in a heap, TWAT is relegated to once in a blue moon... and this goes for half the record! longer he leaves it, the less likely he is to be able to sing these new songs... outside of him working his ass off to be match fit for the live stage.

true, but maybe it's a question of priorities. So getting it "right" when it comes to a Gn'R record might be more important to Axl than to still being able to give the songs justice live. (not that I think he doesn't care about that) the cool thing about Chinese is that at least most of the tunes were performed well vocally live.

maybe that won't happen with a potential new release, and that would be a shame but I'm not worried cause I believe Axl has at least 5 more years as a singer when it comes to killer performances in Gn'R. (made up number)

also, I think the chances of Gn'R releasing a new album without the ability to tour it right away are slim. I don't believe they'll be able to complete it anytime soon anyway.

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

true, but maybe it's a question of priorities. So getting it "right" when it comes to a Gn'R record might be more important to Axl than to still being able to give the songs justice live. (not that I think he doesn't care about that) the cool thing about Chinese is that at least most of the tunes were performed well vocally live.

maybe that won't happen with a potential new release, and that would be a shame but I'm not worried cause I believe Axl has at least 5 more years as a singer when it comes to killer performances in Gn'R. (made up number)

also, I think the chances of Gn'R releasing a new album without the ability to tour it right away are slim. I don't believe they'll be able to complete it anytime soon anyway.

Judging be the last few years and his declining ability to hit the same notes he hit every night in previous years, I think 5 years is generous without him really changing his vocal prep.

But again, I agree! I think he'll record the album that sounds right in his head and then worry about if he can do it live! and also, wait for the "right time and plan" to release it. They could drop the album tomorrow and people would be just as much or more excited than a 3 month build up! Once the songs and artwork are there, there's a video or two and some good press stops to promote the record that is all any artist can do to promote these days! I guarantee they're looking into the model of Metallica, Bon Jovi where you buy a concert ticket and get the album free pumping up sales (Although I think Billboard don't count theses sales anymore, but I could be wrong?).

20 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Judging be the last few years and his declining ability to hit the same notes he hit every night in previous years, I think 5 years is generous without him really changing his vocal prep.

But again, I agree! I think he'll record the album that sounds right in his head and then worry about if he can do it live! and also, wait for the "right time and plan" to release it. They could drop the album tomorrow and people would be just as much or more excited than a 3 month build up! Once the songs and artwork are there, there's a video or two and some good press stops to promote the record that is all any artist can do to promote these days! I guarantee they're looking into the model of Metallica, Bon Jovi where you buy a concert ticket and get the album free pumping up sales (Although I think Billboard don't count theses sales anymore, but I could be wrong?).

Billboard still recognizes those sales but under new rules. (the record must be sold separately on the website on the same time, blah blah)

surely Axl must know that rock albums don't sell like they used to when UYI came out. Still, he seems to be old school about releases but I can't even begin to guess how they will approach it. I can only assume they'll want to tour it and have as many options as possible to promote it and make sure it will reach it's full potential commercially.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 9:44 PM, DTV88 said:

Say what now? Not saying I don't believe you, but is there any proof of this? I seem to recall the publishing deal but not that part of it.

He's making that part up. That was never mentioned in the deal.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:19 PM, SOH said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-catalog-to-generate-100-million-for-sanctuary/

This says "All future material" but I definitely remember something at the time from a news source that mentioned around 50 songs. 

"Axl Rose Signs To Sanctuary Publishing
26 January 2005

Sanctuary Music Group has signed Axl Rose to a publishing deal. Until recently, Warner Chappell published the Guns N' Roses frontman's works.

The deal covers both future material and catalogue. Rose's contribution to such hits as "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City" and "November Rain" are covered under the deal, as are dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music."

This was found on Jarmo's website, but I did not look on Sanctuary to see if they had archived copy. I remember this blurb at the time, but like everything else regarding the recordings, I assumed it was hyperbolic.

33 minutes ago, kever20 said:

"Axl Rose Signs To Sanctuary Publishing
26 January 2005

Sanctuary Music Group has signed Axl Rose to a publishing deal. Until recently, Warner Chappell published the Guns N' Roses frontman's works.

The deal covers both future material and catalogue. Rose's contribution to such hits as "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City" and "November Rain" are covered under the deal, as are dozens of new tracks Rose has recently recorded for Universal Music."

This was found on Jarmo's website, but I did not look on Sanctuary to see if they had archived copy. I remember this blurb at the time, but like everything else regarding the recordings, I assumed it was hyperbolic.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050405074622/http://www.sanctuarygroup.com/index.php?page=1&l1=1&l2=1&l3=0&getArticleId=894

https://www.billboard.com/articles//1419426/axl-rose-signs-to-sanctuary-publishing

The 2005 Sanctuary deal was discussed recently in another thread, and I posted some links to other articles there:

There isn't anything about "50 songs" in any of the articles.

Edited by Blackstar

When asked I think you said that something was ready to drop before COVID arrived - was this going to be a tour single/EP or something else?

The answer Fernando gave was......

"We have talked about doing a live album from NITL tours. As for the rest. We haven’t really talked about others".

Isn't that all we need to know? There have been no conversations about new material. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

When asked I think you said that something was ready to drop before COVID arrived - was this going to be a tour single/EP or something else?

"We have talked about doing a live album from NITL tours. As for the rest. We haven’t really talked about others".

Isn't that all we need to know? There have been no conversations about new material. 

Very true, I also picked up  

TBH I don't think Fernando is included in talks of 'new' material.Or anyone other than Axl. We know he has enough material to release a new album already.

Axl is the only blocker to new material.

One day he will deem a new record complete and at that point will other people know that GNR are about to release an album.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The answer wasn't to that question (he skipped that question, actually), it was to the next one. The poster asked four questions, Fernando skipped question 1 and answered questions 2, 3 and 4:

1. I think you said that something was ready to drop before COVID arrived - was this going to be a tour single/EP or something else?

2. Will there be standalone live releases in the future of gigs from throughout the bands career - Ritz 88, UYI gig, CD gig, NITL gig? I think it’s important to document how good the band is during these eras. If so, please make these available on many mediums (CD, Vinyl, Blu Ray).

3. If there is talk of a UYI boxset, will there also be a consideration of CD boxset (really hope so)?

4. Are there plans to reissue Spaghetti, Live Era and CD on vinyl?

Fernando's answer:

2. We have talked about doing a live album from NITL tours. As for the rest. We haven’t really talked about others. 3. There’s no talk on either, as of yet. 4. Possibly.

Question from another poster: Does band members have played together since their last show or talk about the futur of Gnr?

Fernando: Yep and yep.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, EricA said:

So, Susan, Slash and whoever mentioned they work on new music, was lying than, or what, c'mon forget that idiot and what he's spreading at useless platforms like discord and reddit.

I think it's probably the most honest assessment of new music, over vague 'we're working on things...next question please' comments from others. 

They may well be 'working on things' but here we have a manager who is usually first to be positive about things saying nothing has been discussed. I'd say it's pretty concrete that no new release is anywhere near imminent. 

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The answer wasn't to that question (he skipped that question, actually), it was to the next one. The poster asked four questions, Fernando skipped question 1 answered questions 2, 3 and 4:

1. I think you said that something was ready to drop before COVID arrived - was this going to be a tour single/EP or something else?

2. Will there be standalone live releases in the future of gigs from throughout the bands career - Ritz 88, UYI gig, CD gig, NITL gig? I think it’s important to document how good the band is during these eras. If so, please make these available on many mediums (CD, Vinyl, Blu Ray).

3. If there is talk of a UYI boxset, will there also be a consideration of CD boxset (really hope so)?

4. Are there plans to reissue Spaghetti, Live Era and CD on vinyl?

Fernando's answer:

2. We have talked about doing a live album from NITL tours. As for the rest. We haven’t really talked about others. 3. There’s no talk on either, as of yet. 4. Possibly.

That's really odd. On my screen he has numbered his answer  as to question 1. Just taken a screenshot but not sure how to upload....