Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I recognise it as a potentially bad sign! I would really like to believe that GNR have their album in the can, mixed and mastered! if GNR are not there with the record (I think it's extreme wishful thinking) and Slash is off doing a solo record instead you can kiss goodbye to any chance that GNR are releasing anything anytime soon... and if they do release something, it's not going to be the record Slash wants to put out explaining why he has the itch to create outside of GNR... during a time when they are focussing on making a new record. 

Of course there's a chance that this is just down time between sessions for the GNR record and Slash got bored (he did say in his book, he always gets into trouble when he's off the road, so this might be a 'keep me busy' thing) and wanted to play! but I just don't see know how to see this as a good sign for GNR... and if true and Slash / Duff are now being wasted like GNR 2011-2014, once again TB / Axl you're doing one hell of a job!!:facepalm: 

My guess is they probably got finished songs. They won't release a record and keep touring. They will get old touring and touring. While a few SMKC and Duff Mckagan solo records get out with small tours in between big GN'R tours. One of them will die and then and only then Axl will think it'll be a good idea to release a record if he doesn't go first. IF Axl goes first I think TB will work with Slash and Duff to release a posthumous record featuring Axl. 

That's the biggest possibility at this point. Hate to say it but they'll probably prove me right. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

It's clearly going to be announced in a few days (or just after the holidays), along with the first single.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

He can show up, when he has no other choice. ;) One would think that rehearsals for a tour is important. One would think that during that and soundchecks for a show, some jamming could be done.

Why would he need to rehearse songs he's been singing for 30 years? He knows how they go. Going to soundcheck isn't going to make his voice sound any better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cineater said:

Never spoke to him either.  I was just wondering if you thought the negative narrative that gets passed around is part of why they run radio silent?

I think there are a couple online GNR communities that are a lot more “cheerleading” oriented that they could easily engage in dialogue with, if they wanted. 

The information void sort of invites negative appraisals, given the history. 

Edited by Ant
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

My guess is they probably got finished songs. They won't release a record and keep touring. They will get old touring and touring. While a few SMKC and Duff Mckagan solo records get out with small tours in between big GN'R tours. One of them will die and then and only then Axl will think it'll be a good idea to release a record if he doesn't go first. IF Axl goes first I think TB will work with Slash and Duff to release a posthumous record featuring Axl. 

That's the biggest possibility at this point. Hate to say it but they'll probably prove me right. 

Problem with a posthumous record is how many Axl full vocal unreleased songs are there anyway.

For years and years the bands have always had shitloads of instrumentals they have recorded but Axl rarely recorded and put on any vocals for them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vloors said:

Problem with a posthumous record is how many Axl full vocal unreleased songs are there anyway.

For years and years the bands have always had shitloads of instrumentals they have recorded but Axl rarely recorded and put on any vocals for them.

 

Certainly there’s enough for at least an album’s worth, no?

What we know for sure has vocals: Hard School, Atlas, Perhaps, State of Grace, The General, Silkworms, Quick Song, Nothing, Going Down, Eye On You, and Heaven’s Door Acoustic.

What has been mentioned to also have vocals: Berlin, Soul Monster, Zodiac, and Tonto.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

He can show up, when he has no other choice. ;) One would think that rehearsals for a tour is important. One would think that during that and soundchecks for a show, some jamming could be done.

No, those songs have been played 1000 times. My point was, we know they've jammed together in Axl's studio - I called it jamming, which is not the point, we can call it getting to know each other creatively again, whatever. But what I meant was I don't believe Axl will want to make the whole thing over a cell phone, you know? I believe some joint studio work will also be done (maybe it has already). And the point was that time is relative, and we may be surprised unpleasantly that the album is not finished yet, because they could have been waiting it out. Would be great if that wasn't the case, but for all we know, it could be. I doubt they'd meet in a studio under these circumstances, even if for the mood if not for the "risk" itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No, those songs have been played 1000 times. My point was, we know they've jammed together in Axl's studio - I called it jamming, which is not the point, we can call it getting to know each other creatively again, whatever. But what I meant was I don't believe Axl will want to make the whole thing over a cell phone, you know? I believe some joint studio work will also be done (maybe it has already). And the point was that time is relative, and we may be surprised unpleasantly that the album is not finished yet, because they could have been waiting it out. Would be great if that wasn't the case, but for all we know, it could be. I doubt they'd meet in a studio under these circumstances, even if for the mood if not for the "risk" itself. 

Why do you doubt they’d meet in a studio when Slash very clearly was just photographed in a studio with Kerns? If Axl and Slash aren’t in studio together, it isn’t because of coronavirus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Why do you doubt they’d meet in a studio when Slash very clearly was just photographed in a studio with Kerns? If Axl and Slash aren’t in studio together, it isn’t because of coronavirus. 

Well, Slash is Slash, and Axl is Axl. I could leave it at that. Also, I meant including Duff. It's not impossible, but can you imagine Axl with a mask? And how would he sing? Etc. If it's just jamming and trying out new stuff without the recording booths, I just don't see it happening like this, that's all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Well, Slash is Slash, and Axl is Axl. I could leave it at that. Also, I meant including Duff. It's not impossible, but can you imagine Axl with a mask? And how would he sing? Etc. If it's just jamming and trying out new stuff without the recording booths, I just don't see it happening like this, that's all. 

Well, Metallica has been rehearsing...so, they could if they wanted to.

James wasnt using mask while singing, the others used one though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Well, Metallica has been rehearsing...so, they could if they wanted to.

James wasnt using mask while singing, the others used one though.

Yeah, no comparison to Metallica will ever work for GNR, will it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, vloors said:

Problem with a posthumous record is how many Axl full vocal unreleased songs are there anyway.

For years and years the bands have always had shitloads of instrumentals they have recorded but Axl rarely recorded and put on any vocals for them.

 

He probably has 4 albums worth of vocals. We all know how lazy he is, but I don't think he is that lazy to not ever record vocals to songs he wrote. Heck they could make a GN'R anthology if ever he passes. TB need to make money and I'm sure Slash and Duff would wanna join in chasing that pot of gold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Slash should drop Miles for this record and do another 2010 album with guest vocalists to freshen things up.. Would be a cool way to sneak Axl in on a song and there wouldn't be as much expectation on the track because it wouldnt be under the Guns name

Not going to happen. As long as Myles is still interested Slash will still make albums with him.

20 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That's odd because Myles is recording his 2nd solo album right now

He's got demos, it's not fully recorded yet. Also Myles is probably not in LA with them right now, it would be just Slash Todd Brent and Frank working on arrangements and stuff then Myles will bring his lyrics and lay those down.

9 hours ago, janrichmond said:

She's actually fan friendly, and has replied to many of us here, plus she live streams the shows, not fully of course. She is also a better photographer than Kat. 

I agree with all of these. I enjoy her behind the scenes of Slash, like when he's playing pinball at home.

I've suspected for a little while that they've been working on stuff quietly because Todd had mentioned on Instagram that he was in LA working on music. He did some Toque recording also but I'm not surprised that they've been working on SMKC stuff. And it doesn't take them long to get material together; they've already got some stuff that they wrote while touring so they just have to add to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Not going to happen. As long as Myles is still interested Slash will still make albums with him.

He's got demos, it's not fully recorded yet. Also Myles is probably not in LA with them right now, it would be just Slash Todd Brent and Frank working on arrangements and stuff then Myles will bring his lyrics and lay those down.

I agree with all of these. I enjoy her behind the scenes of Slash, like when he's playing pinball at home.

I've suspected for a little while that they've been working on stuff quietly because Todd had mentioned on Instagram that he was in LA working on music. He did some Toque recording also but I'm not surprised that they've been working on SMKC stuff. And it doesn't take them long to get material together; they've already got some stuff that they wrote while touring so they just have to add to that.

I must admit, I don’t get the clamour for SMKC. Clearly lots of folk do (I know you do particularly) but I find it really uninspired stuff. When he gets it right (like Anastasia) then it’s damned good but feel that for the most part it’s quite forgettable stuff.

Sometimes you hear a part of a song which sounds really cool but then it switches to something generic - it’s my hope and that Duff/Axl could identify those cool bits and work around them.

As I say - just my opinion and it floats the boat of loads of others so fair enough.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DonkeyNuts said:

Why would he need to rehearse songs he's been singing for 30 years? He knows how they go. Going to soundcheck isn't going to make his voice sound any better.

🤣 of course he needs to rehearse his own songs! Just because you write something it does not mean you can just perform it anytime, anywhere! Every singer / musician needs to rehearse! And the ones that don't were either sloppy to begin with but age was on their side or start to slowly lose their ability.

If he went to soundcheck and warned up his vocals of course he will sound better later on. The more he sings on the regular the better. I don't mean he should do a 3hr soundcheck... but 30/40mins of singing at soundcheck where he can warm up.and make sure his in ear mix is how he likes it... that's all good, and will help make the show sound and run better.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

🤣 of course he needs to rehearse his own songs! Just because you write something it does not mean you can just perform it anytime, anywhere! Every singer / musician needs to rehearse! And the ones that don't were either sloppy to begin with but age was on their side or start to slowly lose their ability.

If he went to soundcheck and warned up his vocals of course he will sound better later on. The more he sings on the regular the better. I don't mean he should do a 3hr soundcheck... but 30/40mins of singing at soundcheck where he can warm up.and make sure his in ear mix is how he likes it... that's all good, and will help make the show sound and run better.

 

This. And singing and playing is related to muscles. It's like saying you don't have to go to the gym anymore because you're strong enough now.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

I'd probably be stoke to hear a new SMKC record after I've got a new GN'R album in and out of my system. 

We all would! I loved WOF, kinda on the fence about the last album and Apocalyptic love... but the priority HAS to be getting a GNR record done! the idea that Slash would have released TWO studio albums before releasing music with GNR... I mean, If I was Axl and that was staring me in the face I'd bust my ass to get a record out because that's embarrassing! 

And you know that the only thing GNR would do while Slash was out touring that potential record is organise more GNR dates, 100% no studio time... THIS FUCKING BAND🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

We all would! I loved WOF, kinda on the fence about the last album and Apocalyptic love... but the priority HAS to be getting a GNR record done! the idea that Slash would have released TWO studio albums before releasing music with GNR... I mean, If I was Axl and that was staring me in the face I'd bust my ass to get a record out because that's embarrassing! 

And you know that the only thing GNR would do while Slash was out touring that potential record is organise more GNR dates, 100% no studio time... THIS FUCKING BAND🤣🤣🤣🤣

this next Conspirators album will be Slash's ninth album. Izzy released 11? I don't think 1 more album is going to make Axl go "woah, I need to get my shit together, must pick up the pace".

I believe it's likely that Axl often comes up with new ideas, that's what musicians do. DJ has mentioned how Axl played him what he considered to be great shit on the piano in hotel rooms and that at the time it was new stuff. Duff said Axl got a lot of tunes and we know there's a finished "cd 2". I think the rest of the band realized that they can't really rush Axl to release anything.

Not anymore, so they do their own thing while also coming up with material intended for Gn'R, and I'm guessing when he's in a suitable headspace he listens to their ideas and tries to work on some of it one on one like Slash said he did when he went to Axl's house with the Appetite Les Paul or in a different occasion jammed with him recently.

so nothing new here. Maybe Axl is not consistently working on the next Guns record, or maybe he is, but we really have no way of knowing. He could be working with Caram and sifting through old and new ideas or he could be eating fried chicken while getting a bj.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Axl cares about how many albums SMKC or any other band releases, unfortunately. 

The massive success of Guns in the 80s and 90s is really a curse for all involved. A band like, say, Motörhead simply HAD to release new music after a couple of years to keep rolling. Axl has to do fuck all, and that's what he does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

We all would! I loved WOF, kinda on the fence about the last album and Apocalyptic love... but the priority HAS to be getting a GNR record done! the idea that Slash would have released TWO studio albums before releasing music with GNR... I mean, If I was Axl and that was staring me in the face I'd bust my ass to get a record out because that's embarrassing! 

And you know that the only thing GNR would do while Slash was out touring that potential record is organise more GNR dates, 100% no studio time... THIS FUCKING BAND🤣🤣🤣🤣

A-fucking-men

Axl:... 

Duff:... 

Dizzy:... 

Richard:... 

Frank:... 

Melissa:... 

Absolutely nobody:... 

Slash: All things considered 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

this next Conspirators album will be Slash's ninth album. Izzy released 11? I don't think 1 more album is going to make Axl go "woah, I need to get my shit together, must pick up the pace".

I believe it's likely that Axl often comes up with new ideas, that's what musicians do. DJ has mentioned how Axl played him what he considered to be great shit on the piano in hotel rooms and that at the time it was new stuff. Duff said Axl got a lot of tunes and we know there's a finished "cd 2". I think the rest of the band realized that they can't really rush Axl to release anything.

Not anymore, so they do their own thing while also coming up with material intended for Gn'R, and I'm guessing when he's in a suitable headspace he listens to their ideas and tries to work on some of it one on one like Slash said he did when he went to Axl's house with the Appetite Les Paul or in a different occasion jammed with him recently.

so nothing new here. Maybe Axl is not consistently working on the next Guns record, or maybe he is, but we really have no way of knowing. He could be working with Caram and sifting through old and new ideas or he could be eating fried chicken while getting a bj.

He could be eating fried chicken, getting a bj resting the bucket on the lovely lasses head and working with Caram all at the same time. I mean the options are endless.

What I meant wasn't that Slash's discography is much bigger than Axls (I don't think Axl cares about this), I meant it solely as Slash has been back in the band and has released two studio albums outside of GNR while GNR have released absolutely nothing! That's something even Axl would be aware of... maybe it'll put him under a bit more pressure. Who knows!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 4:38 AM, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Slash should drop Miles for this record and do another 2010 album with guest vocalists to freshen things up.. Would be a cool way to sneak Axl in on a song and there wouldn't be as much expectation on the track because it wouldnt be under the Guns name

agreed. Or  at least try someone else.. Have followed Slash through every step of his career since 1987 but don't give a crap about another album with Myles.. LTD dream was so fucking blahhhhhhhh

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

He could be eating fried chicken, getting a bj resting the bucket on the lovely lasses head and working with Caram all at the same time. I mean the options are endless.

What I meant wasn't that Slash's discography is much bigger than Axls (I don't think Axl cares about this), I meant it solely as Slash has been back in the band and has released two studio albums outside of GNR while GNR have released absolutely nothing! That's something even Axl would be aware of... maybe it'll put him under a bit more pressure. Who knows!

in that case, I suppose I just think that even if these things bother Axl, it's nothing compared to fuckin' up the Gn'R catalog with a dud, so if that's true, the accomplishments of band members outside of Guns have little to no effect on his approach to making a record. What if there's no deadline so the only pressure is to deliver a great album?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rovim said:

in that case, I suppose I just think that even if these things bother Axl, it's nothing compared to fuckin' up the Gn'R catalog with a dud, so if that's true, the accomplishments of band members outside of Guns have little to no effect on his approach to making a record. What if there's no deadline so the only pressure is to deliver a great album?

What about the fried chicken?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...