The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know why they didnt put an extra 1 or 2 new songs on the greatest hits just to maintain a leve l of interest. The blue ray should have been done last year. To late with this band.

I'm not optimistic, but the label could move a lot more copies of the Greatest Hits on vinyl if there was a hidden new track on one of the sides.

Or they could tell people to play the records backwards, and every song will sound as if it was something new.

On 10.8.2020 at 8:33 AM, MaskingApathy said:

He's got demos, it's not fully recorded yet. Also Myles is probably not in LA with them right now, it would be just Slash Todd Brent and Frank working on arrangements and stuff then Myles will bring his lyrics and lay those down.

He just posted on IG that tracking starts tommorow for his solo album. Weird time that SMKC are recording simultaneously. Might just be some soundtrack stuff or whatever and not full record for SMKC, I mean there's also that Rocket Man Cover they did that never came out, so wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

yes I can imagine the utter frustration.  I wonder if it seems worse this time as they are getting older and as a consequence running out of time before they retire etc

There was an excitement about what was to come, when oh my god dropped on the end of days soundtrack in 1999 it felt like A new album was right around the corner. How wrong we were.  
Back then new gnr had a real mystique about the band. And then it took another 9 years for the album to drop, most members had been replaced and it didn’t live up to the hype. 
I still didn’t want to see Axl give up on it but as soon as he had b grade musicians joining and was playing a Vegas residency it felt like Axl had given up and a reunion was inevitable.  So those leaks recently are probably the closest we will ever get to Axls true vision of what should have come out in around 2000-02 ....sad really

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He just posted on IG that tracking starts tommorow for his solo album. Weird time that SMKC are recording simultaneously. Might just be some soundtrack stuff or whatever and not full record for SMKC, I mean there's also that Rocket Man Cover they did that never came out, so wouldn't be the first time.

As I said, Slash Todd Brent and Frank are probably working on ideas and arrangements right now then Myles will join in later. It's definitely full record, that's been the plan all along. I don't think they're laying down tracks for real yet, just doing pre-production.

2 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

There was an excitement about what was to come, when oh my god dropped on the end of days soundtrack in 1999 it felt like A new album was right around the corner. How wrong we were.  
Back then new gnr had a real mystique about the band. And then it took another 9 years for the album to drop, most members had been replaced and it didn’t live up to the hype. 
I still didn’t want to see Axl give up on it but as soon as he had b grade musicians joining and was playing a Vegas residency it felt like Axl had given up and a reunion was inevitable.  So those leaks recently are probably the closest we will ever get to Axls true vision of what should have come out in around 2000-02 ....sad really

To be fair, the only b-grade musician he had was Ashba, as Fortus and especially Ron are world class. But just the fact that they replaced Finck with someone as tacky and useless as DJ Ashba was, in hindsight, a sign that Axl no longer cared and was going through the motions.

41 minutes ago, Towelie said:

To be fair, the only b-grade musician he had was Ashba, as Fortus and especially Ron are world class. But just the fact that they replaced Finck with someone as tacky and useless as DJ Ashba was, in hindsight, a sign that Axl no longer cared and was going through the motions.

I get what you’re saying, it’s just my opinion. 

Tommy, robin and bucket were the only ones who had any credibility imo. 
Ron, frank or fortus  were all b grade prior to joining gnr, even now I’d still call them b grade session guys

Edited by megaguns1982

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I think people are a bit too harsh on DJ. Sure he's no virtuoso but his tone was arguably the most 'accurate' to the original stuff.

Also he's the only one,, aside from Axl, who had a stage presence. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

I think people are a bit too harsh on DJ. Sure he's no virtuoso but his tone was arguably the most 'accurate' to the original stuff.

That tone is replicated by basically every 15 year old on YouTube playing gnr on their les Paul.... and most of them play the gnr songs better than Ashba..

sorry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

His stage presence may have been the best thing about him; however, I could never get over the fact that while on the stage, he had a top hat, cigarette, and Les fucking Paul. I mean come on. 

Edited by jamillos

9 hours ago, Ant said:

let’s start working on a chorus

Mmmbop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du, yeah-e-yeah
Mmmbop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du, yeah-e-yeah

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

His stage presence may have been the best thing about him; however,

I could never get over the fact that while on the stage, he had a top hat, cigarette, and Les fucking Paul. I mean come on. 

2020-08-15-12-30-46-152.jpg.1419ac62122ce1f0fc1356f99a3a214f.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

the fact that while on the stage, he had a top hat, cigarette, and Les fucking Paul. I mean come on. 

I’m doin all the things!

*sigh*... listen, DJ, you’re a good kid....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

While standing next to a guy wearing tight biker shorts and a flannel shirt as a skirt :-)

I could go that look beforev the braids and over sized NFL shirt look of 99-00.

14 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I'm not optimistic, but the label could move a lot more copies of the Greatest Hits on vinyl if there was a hidden new track on one of the sides.

Or they could tell people to play the records backwards, and every song will sound as if it was something new.

Its always one thing with this band, they dont now how to maximise opportunities.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Towelie said:

At the time, I was excited about DJ joining. I'd seen him with Sixx AM in 2008 and he was good enough, and entertaining. He'd had a big hit on the rock charts the year before, and helped with Motley's relatively successful Saints Of LA album. He was different from Finck of course, but the 2009 lineup did have some great potential. I don't think Axl really started 'going through the motions' until 2011, at which point DJ also started getting a lot sloppier.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

At the time, I was excited about DJ joining. I'd seen him with Sixx AM in 2008 and he was good enough, and entertaining. He'd had a big hit on the rock charts the year before, and helped with Motley's relatively successful Saints Of LA album. He was different from Finck of course, but the 2009 lineup did have some great potential. I don't think Axl really started 'going through the motions' until 2011, at which point DJ also started getting a lot sloppier.

The first Beautiful Creatures album with DJ is fucking great...the dude can write hard rock riffs and songs... don't know why he was such a dud with GNR..the absolute butchering of the This I Love solo..Mother of God

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Towelie said:

Greetings from Pitman and Frank

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree. Great post. Saints of LA was pretty good. I guess history, or really Axl, has never given us the opportunity to truly gauge the songwriting or song-contributing skills of Ashba, Fortus, Thal et al...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Ashba wasn't really that bad was he?! 

I think him, and Bumblefoot, came across pretty well and both seemed to really want to push the band forwards in terms of both engagement and music. 

I think DJ was always... not a very good guitar player. meh tone, lack of imagination, weak technique that he hides with a couple of flashy looking tricks he knows how to execute well. He does have an ear for melody but there's no depth to his playing. As soon as the solo gets more detailed, he doesn't know what to do. (Patience solo, This I Love, the second half of the SCOM solo that Bumble had to play)

He does have an ability to construct a decent composition given enough time imo but nothing spectacular, he's not very good at improvising and Gn'R is the kind of band that always featured very talented lead players. There was always at least one attribute that made them cool when it came to Robin, Bucket, and Bumble.

Richard has the chops and does the material justice, covering a lot of ground, while Paul has a lot of writing credits and had a hand in writing some of the AAA tunes on Chinese.

DJ had "stage presence". Also found the 2 volume and 2 tone knobs on his Les Paul to be a difficult concept to grasp.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think DJ was always... not a very good guitar player. meh tone, lack of imagination, weak technique that he hides with a couple of flashy looking tricks he knows how to execute well. He does have an ear for melody but there's no depth to his playing. As soon as the solo gets more detailed, he doesn't know what to do. (Patience solo, This I Love, the second half of the SCOM solo that Bumble had to play)

He does have an ability to construct a decent composition given enough time imo but nothing spectacular, he's not very good at improvising and Gn'R is the kind of band that always featured very talented lead players. There was always at least one attribute that made them cool when it came to Robin, Bucket, and Bumble.

Richard has the chops and does the material justice, covering a lot of ground, while Paul has a lot of writing credits and had a hand in writing some of the AAA tunes on Chinese.

DJ had "stage presence". Also found the 2 volume and 2 tone knobs on his Les Paul to be a difficult concept to grasp.

Perhaps you're right on those points in certain songs and I'm remembering things too fondly.

I think he had his place though, and he absolutely wanted to bring new ideas in. Which is something I'll always give him massive credit for, given the total resistance to new things that has always gone on. 

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Perhaps you're right on those points in certain songs and I'm remembering things too fondly.

I think he had his place though, and he absolutely wanted to bring new ideas in. Which is something I'll always give him massive credit for, given the total resistance to new things that has always gone on. 

DJ wanted to move forward, he had the right attitude in that regard. Bumble wanted the same. But when you say "his place", what exactly do you mean by that? musically in the band? cause even if I'm glad and thankful DJ quit Gn'R, I believe a good Gn'R album featuring DJ, Bumble, and Richard could have been completed.

DJ said he doesn't really consider himself to be a guitar player. I think in a studio environment he is capable of coming up with some shit that could have worked well in the context of Gn'R.

DJ could have brought a very melodic and catchy side to the table while maybe Bumble could have handled the more wacky and technically complex shit. Fortus could have anchored it in a more classic hard rock place and I can see how it could have gelled together well.

but maybe Axl wasn't interested in using these players as composers cause CD ll was already completed with Robin and Bucket. Personally I believe any other option is better: with the current line up or the 2002 line up cause the players from those line ups had/have better chemistry with each other or their styles are more suited to Gn'R.