The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I would love it if Slash gave Axl an ultimatum, release a new album in next 12 months or I walk.

Would be a good attempt to force a new record, but I don't think Axl can be forced to do anything and Slash is in a position where he can choose what to do. If working with GNR is an option he makes it happen, otherwise he's busy with the Conspirators and the endless amount of other projects he's involved in.

1 hour ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Didn't Meegan also confirm a new SMKC album is coming?

Do you all think Axl will be slightly aggrieved if SMKC release a new album in the next 6 - 12 months. I find it a tad embarrassing that GnR have been talking about “ writing” or “recording“ and “ideas” for several years and can’t figure out how to actually put together a release and then Bam! , Slash punches out another album to the world with the greatest of ease. It’s sickeningly funny. But part of me would think Axl would be a bit annoyed about that.

3 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Do you all think Axl will be slightly aggrieved if SMKC release a new album in the next 6 - 12 months. I find it a tad embarrassing that GnR have been talking about “ writing” or “recording“ and “ideas” for several years and can’t figure out how to actually put together a release and then Bam! , Slash punches out another album to the world with the greatest of ease. It’s sickeningly funny. But part of me would think Axl would be a bit annoyed about that.

I doubt it. He didn't seem bothered by the last one, and Slash doing a world tour! 

11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh no! Now you've let yourself down here with The Darkness! 

I absolutely dread to think what The Darkness rejected for their albums given some of the stuff they seemed to think acceptable for singles! I'm still recovering from hearing their 'comedy' Christmas song! 

Definitely not my cup of tea! I've just got a passionate dislike of any of these 'ironic' and 'funny' metal bands that popped up- Steel Panther etc.

Each to their own though....and at least they all seem to release new music. So the joke is on clowns like me, still clinging onto the idea that someone might make a classic rock I like ever again! Ha! 

The Darkness definitely have a quirky sense of humour, but I absolutely would not put them in the Steel Panther mock band category. The Darkness are actually more sarcastic than funny or ironic (although there's clearly a bit of both, especially if you watch the videos). I don't know, I've just always loved them, probably a top 5 band that I've seen live too!

I proudly defend the Hawkins brothers!😄I think the funny videos helped them in the beginning to get noticed, but now 18yrs later people just remember them as a goof band even though they have made some great songs (well if you like his voice). Edit - Each time they release an album they ALWAYS release the worst song first, I don't know who decides, but they need to be taken out back and shot🤣

As for new classic rock🤔Besides bands that are 10-20yrs old like Rival sons, the only good thing I've heard is Dirty Honey, and they haven't released a LP yet, so the verdict is definitely not in on them, but I like what I've heard so far! Gretta van fleet doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

I would love it if Slash gave Axl an ultimatum, release a new album in next 12 months or I walk.

That would be amazing. To be honest I thought it would've happened already, but the longer this "reunion" goes on the more obvious it is becoming that this was never meant to be a creative regrouping, but more so 3 men looking for a little nest egg before retirement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

He is never walking - he has the best of both worlds. I think we will get material based on what has been said by Slash himself re GNR and the fact he will likely be working on both (when is another matter)....however in what way/format is anyone’s guess.

Is it possible they don’t think at this point the material is strong enough to put out? With song like Atlas/Perhaps/Hardschool in ‘the locker’ that’s clearly not the case IMO but maybe they think differently?

If the new stuff was an a par quality wise with VR/CD/some Snakepit I’d be pleased but if it was SMKC level (not heard Tenderness TBF) I’d be gutted. There are random songs on SMKC where Slash shines but mostly IMO it’s very generic stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

Is Slash that bothered?

No! 😁There's no way Slash would say that. Maybe Slash when he was in 20s or 30s... but Slash hitting 60 is happy with touring and earning a lot of money, it's the icing on the cake if he gets to release his own music through GNR these days... other wise he just does SMKC on the side and gets his kicks from that. 

We care a million times more than Slash. But, I will point to the GNR guys being upset when Kirk Hammett called them out for being a nostalgia act as a sign that they don't want to be perceived that way... obviously they are a nostalgia act and everything they do feeds that, but in their eyes they are forging forward I guess! So, maybe Slash is delusional about what this run with GNR will bring? but my guess is that he knows that touring might just be the most this band does and he's happy to row along with it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WhazUp said:

The only other one I can think of would be the B-side to Jungle on vinyl being Whole Lotta Rosie live which also ended up on the Live From The Jungle EP, and that is just a live cover of an AC/DC tune anyways

I am now imagining a world where GNR used the B-sides to their singles as a way to put out tunes like Just Another Sunday that wouldn't have necessarily fit the albums they came out with and man that is yet another hugely missed opportunity for the band over the years

Don't forget the alternate take of acoustic You're Crazy which was a b-side. It was recorded before the Lies version and I honestly prefer it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

No! 😁There's no way Slash would say that. Maybe Slash when he was in 20s or 30s... but Slash hitting 60 is happy with touring and earning a lot of money, it's the icing on the cake if he gets to release his own music through GNR these days... other wise he just does SMKC on the side and gets his kicks from that. 

We care a million times more than Slash. But, I will point to the GNR guys being upset when Kirk Hammett called them out for being a nostalgia act as a sign that they don't want to be perceived that way... obviously they are a nostalgia act and everything they do feeds that, but in their eyes they are forging forward I guess! So, maybe Slash is delusional about what this run with GNR will bring? but my guess is that he knows that touring might just be the most this band does and he's happy to row along with it.

Were they annoyed by that 'nostalgia' comment? What did they say? 

At the moment they are the epitome of a nostalgia act really. Even the merch is all based around AFD and the past. They'd be hard pushed to deny they weren't a nostalgia vehicle really, as things stand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

At the moment they are the epitome of a nostalgia act really. Even the merch is all based around AFD and the past. They'd be hard pushed to deny they weren't a nostalgia vehicle really, as things stand. 

And if that’s all they are/want to be then fine - I think we’d all be fine if they confirmed that’s what they want to do and it would cool down all the festering feelings on the forums re new material/lies etc. But whilst they maintain there is stuff happening it just keeps everyone on edge.....we need an update from Susan!!!!! 😂

I still think we will get something....I maybe delusional tho 😂. 

13 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

And if that’s all they are/want to be then fine - I think we’d all be fine if they confirmed that’s what they want to do and it would cool down all the festering feelings on the forums re new material/lies etc. But whilst they maintain there is stuff happening it just keeps everyone on edge.....we need an update from Susan!!!!! 😂

I still think we will get something....I maybe delusional tho 😂. 

Nostalgia is basically the easiest and most lazy thing any band, cultural entity or even person can do. Relying on having done something in the past requires zero engagement with the present. It's the bore in the pub telling you how great he was when he was younger while sitting on his arse all day. 

If they want to move beyond nostalgia that's going to take some focus and quite a bit of effort on their part. I'm not sure if either of those things are a GNR priority really anymore.  

Clarity would be great....but I think a lot of people like myself would just bring the shutters down then. I'm not interested in re-living the past, so if the band confirmed that nostalgia is all they're going to do, then that would be it for me. I wouldn't stop occasionly playing the albums of course (I only very occasionally play them now as there are so few) but I'd certainly stop paying attention to them as much as I do. It's the 'maybe there will be more' that keeps me interested. I think they know that there are a lot of people like me....so there will never be any admitting that there might never be any new music. 

• Like 2

On 17/08/2020 at 7:43 PM, El Guapo said:

Who would have thought in 2016 that everything would be SO bad in 2020. 

Can things get any worse at this point?

I really think people on here are overly cynical. 

In 2014 a Slash reunion would have been unthinkable. Since then we've had great shows, old classics dusted off and a remaster. 

Sure I'd like new music (love CD) and certainly like them to look at releasing old live footage but I'm happy where the band are now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

As for new classic rock🤔Besides bands that are 10-20yrs old like Rival sons, the only good thing I've heard is Dirty Honey, and they haven't released a LP yet, so the verdict is definitely not in on them, but I like what I've heard so far! Gretta van fleet doesn't do it for me.

Dirty Honey is working on a new LP right now. I agree, they're the best by far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Nostalgia is basically the easiest and most lazy thing any band, cultural entity or even person can do. Relying on having done something in the past requires zero engagement with the present. It's the bore in the pub telling you how great he was when he was younger while sitting on his arse all day. 

If they want to move beyond nostalgia that's going to take some focus and quite a bit of effort on their part. I'm not sure if either of those things are a GNR priority really anymore.  

Clarity would be great....but I think a lot of people like myself would just bring the shutters down then. I'm not interested in re-living the past, so if the band confirmed that nostalgia is all they're going to do, then that would be it for me. I wouldn't stop occasionly playing the albums of course (I only very occasionally play them now as there are so few) but I'd certainly stop paying attention to them as much as I do. It's the 'maybe there will be more' that keeps me interested. I think they know that there are a lot of people like me....so there will never be any admitting that there might never be any new music. 

It’s this bit - it’s a fine line.....keep stringing folk along whilst not having any real intention to release anything just means the crazies just cause more hassles (particularly on the forums) meaning TB get extra grief etc. If they publicly say there is no intention at this time then pressure is off and whatever happens ‘happens’.

Yeah some folk will drift off but there will be enough casuals to keep the ship sailing.

Anyway - I reckon we WILL get something and I’m sticking to it...😂.

This got me thinking about the Stone Roses....only 2 albums, tried to do a 3rd but canned it as they felt they couldn’t get the quality where it needed to be (albeit one of the two singles was actually pretty good).....they will be able to dine out on big paydays should they choose to for a long time yet on the live circuit in a discography FAR less than GNR (albeit the paydays would not on Be on a GNR level). Crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Dirty Honey is working on a new LP right now. I agree, they're the best by far.

59 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fire Away and their self-titled EP are really good. I'm looking forward to their full album, but some of the stuff they've played live hasn't been very interesting.

Hopefully, I'll be seeing them next year. Dirty Honey was supposed to open for the Godsmack/Halestorm concert in April at Prudential Center. That concert has been rescheduled for April 2021. I think they are a good, young band. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Kirk did another interview and mentioned that there was blowback from the gnr guys, basically saying they didn't want him to say stuff like that. He said he was happy they were back but hoped that it would also mean a new record in the bear future (2017 interview... sorry Kirk😄).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s this bit - it’s a fine line.....keep stringing folk along whilst not having any real intention to release anything just means the crazies just cause more hassles (particularly on the forums) meaning TB get extra grief etc. If they publicly say there is no intention at this time then pressure is off and whatever happens ‘happens’.

Yeah some folk will drift off but there will be enough casuals to keep the ship sailing.

Anyway - I reckon we WILL get something and I’m sticking to it...😂.

This got me thinking about the Stone Roses....only 2 albums, tried to do a 3rd but canned it as they felt they couldn’t get the quality where it needed to be (albeit one of the two singles was actually pretty good).....they will be able to dine out on big paydays should they choose to for a long time yet on the live circuit in a discography FAR less than GNR (albeit the paydays would not on Be on a GNR level). Crazy.

The Stone Roses are an interesting comparison to GNR.

Two bands with relatively small discographies but a huge following.

And I think the fact the Roses canned the 3rd album speaks to the pressure on Axl (at least to him). He'd rather release nothing than stuff he viewed as tarnishing their legacy. 

11 hours ago, Towelie said:

Fingers crossed. And Axl reunites with Bucket and Brain (via the Melissa link). Axl throws out some W.A.R. albums, Slash spits out loads of sleazy rnfnr.

Best of both worlds.