Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Who would have thought in 2016 that everything would be SO bad in 2020. 

Can things get any worse at this point?

Yup, Scraped gets announced as the signature tune for the 2021 tour 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Might as well bust this out again:

Posted Images

On 17/08/2020 at 7:43 PM, El Guapo said:

Who would have thought in 2016 that everything would be SO bad in 2020. 

Can things get any worse at this point?

It's not all their fault that 2020 is a bit shit, but their flat refusal to do anything remotely entertaining for us is a bummer. Thank the lord and da devil for Metallica! Always have new things to keep fans engaged, and somehow you don't get tired of it... but the brains of the operation isn't interested in what a band like Metallica do, he has better ideas! 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ant said:

If Axl sounded like Rock the Rock it’d be worth doing.

End the fucking tour. Find the fire 🔥 

get some weed and cold brew, do a GNR COVID bubble in a kick ass little studio, stop tweeting at Steve Mnuchin and write some fucking melodies. Let’s goooo!

Love the energy! 

Write a song about Tim Mnuchin! And his bitchy little ass!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2020 at 9:32 PM, AxlSlashthebest said:

who think one day Slash and Axl will play together ? NITLT !!!

2016 called😉

I get what you mean! And in 2000-2014 I would have laughed at the idea! Because they were constantly attacking each other with subtle ir not so subtle digs. First sign of thawing in my mind was Axl telling that story about Slash pissing his pants. Nothing quite like a prissy pants story to want you to teach out to an old friend!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a twelve year gap between Axl's fax to MTV regarding Slash's departure from the band to the release of Chinese Democracy.

It's almost been a twelve year gap between the release of Chinese Democracy and today.

'96 to '08 felt like an eternity.  '08 feels not too long ago.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

2016 called😉

I get what you mean! And in 2000-2014 I would have laughed at the idea! Because they were constantly attacking each other with subtle ir not so subtle digs. First sign of thawing in my mind was Axl telling that story about Slash pissing his pants. Nothing quite like a prissy pants story to want you to teach out to an old friend!

😂 what story was that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

😂 what story was that?

An old video from 2012? Axl talking to fans in a hotel bar holding a bottle of jack. Slash was with a girl, but he got too drunk, pissed his pants and Axl was there to "console" the girl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downzy said:

It was a twelve year gap between Axl's fax to MTV regarding Slash's departure from the band to the release of Chinese Democracy.

It's almost been a twelve year gap between the release of Chinese Democracy and today.

'96 to '08 felt like an eternity.  '08 feels not too long ago.  

08 plus allow for a medium 2yr tour cycle, and maybe a year off. Worst case scenario should have been album in 2015.

But yes, the time is almost the same! I guess he likes taking 12+ years to mull over material.

Problem is, unless he's writing in a vacuum where no other music is influencing him, whatever he writes and then releases 10+ years later is going to sound incredibly dated, like that god awful macdaddy, or even the slightly better but equally confused Hardschool! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

 

 

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH he just peed in my bed!!" :rofl-lol:

That’s quality. He seems so chilled and cool telling that story and hanging out. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Within in the four years of 1987 to 1991 we got AFD, Lies, UYI I & II and B-Sides.

Within the four years of 2016 to 2020 we got a polished track originally released as a B-Side in 1991 but being presented as a „brand new single“ to us in 2018. 

This whole „reunion“ has become such an unbelievable joke. Honestly, I wish they had not reunited. Yes, I had some fun at the two NITL shows I joined. But this fun of around six hours in no way does outweight all the frustration and bullshit of the remaining four years.

After four years of the reunion I can clearly state that my 30 years lasting love for this band has heavily faded. NITL I would have thought this could happen one day. Well, GNR (or what is left) proved me wrong. Congratulations!

 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Within in the four years of 1987 to 1991 we got AFD, Lies, UYI I & II and B-Sides.

Within the four years of 2016 to 2020 we got a polished track originally released as a B-Side in 1991 but being presented as a „brand new single“ to us in 2018. 

 

B-sides. Plural?

SOYL fair enough. But what else? A few live cuts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, indeed the live cuts.

You are right,GNR has never been a typical B-Side band but back then there have been a few tracks released out of the full length album circle, eg Brownstone alt. mix, Don’t Cry demo, KHOD (Soundtrack version) or Civil War on a charity compilation one year prior to its album release. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Yes, indeed the live cuts.

You are right,GNR has never been a typical B-Side band but back then there have been a few tracks released out of the full length album circle, eg Brownstone alt. mix, Don’t Cry demo, KHOD (Soundtrack version) or Civil War on a charity compilation one year prior to its album release. 

I just wish they were more like Oasis in the early years. Used to love their CD singles- 4 tracks, album quality. It meant for a typical album you would get 20-25 songs (13 track album + 12 b sides). Mansun was another band with great b sides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I just wish they were more like Oasis in the early years. Used to love their CD singles- 4 tracks, album quality. It meant for a typical album you would get 20-25 songs (13 track album + 12 b sides). Mansun was another band with great b sides.

Dude, besides GNR Oasis is my fav band of all time 😄

They were the kings of b-sides, especially in the 90ies. But to be fair, I don’t expect any band to be that extreme in terms of b/sides like Oasis. But at least every band should offer a little bit as long as they release physical singles. 

Interesting side fact regarding Oasis: I read somewhere that they had to cut down the amount of b-sides from 3 to 2 during the times of the Standing LP because of a change of the single chart regulations in the UK. In specific, allegedly 4 track releases did no longer count as singles but as EPs. Hence, if they wanted to chart with a single the physical release was not allowed to have more than 3 tracks in total. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Dude, besides GNR Oasis is my fav band of all time 😄

They were the kings of b-sides, especially in the 90ies. But to be fair, I don’t expect any band to be that extreme in terms of b/sides like Oasis. But at least every band should offer a little bit as long as they release physical singles. 

Interesting side fact regarding Oasis: I read somewhere that they had to cut down the amount of b-sides from 3 to 2 during the times of the Standing LP because of a change of the single chart regulations in the UK. In specific, allegedly 4 track releases did no longer count as singles but as EPs. Hence, if they wanted to chart with a single the physical release was not allowed to have more than 3 tracks in total. 

I don't agree, I actually prefer bands to just release their main LP and a minimum amount of b-sides.. I think Oasis's quality standards are questionable, not to shit on your favourite band, that's just my opinion on their music... obviously lots of people love them though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't agree, I actually prefer bands to just release their main LP and a minimum amount of b-sides.. I think Oasis's quality standards are questionable, not to shit on your favourite band, that's just my opinion on their music... obviously lots of people love them though.

Yeah, everyone talks about the quality of their bsides, but almost all of their albums bar one are wildly inconsistent and full of filler. Bands/artists should only release bsides if they have enough quality material for their main albums imo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Dude, besides GNR Oasis is my fav band of all time 😄

They were the kings of b-sides, especially in the 90ies. But to be fair, I don’t expect any band to be that extreme in terms of b/sides like Oasis. But at least every band should offer a little bit as long as they release physical singles. 

Interesting side fact regarding Oasis: I read somewhere that they had to cut down the amount of b-sides from 3 to 2 during the times of the Standing LP because of a change of the single chart regulations in the UK. In specific, allegedly 4 track releases did no longer count as singles but as EPs. Hence, if they wanted to chart with a single the physical release was not allowed to have more than 3 tracks in total. 

I'm with you! 

That's true about the change from 4 to 3 tracks. I think there was a drop off in b-side quality around the Standing time anyway though. They weren't bad songs....just clearly b-sides, whereas up to that point their b-sides were the rival, or better, of any a-side or album track. 

GNR have always been a remarkably bad b-sides band! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm with you! 

That's true about the change from 4 to 3 tracks. I think there was a drop off in b-side quality around the Standing time anyway though. They weren't bad songs....just clearly b-sides, whereas up to that point their b-sides were the rival, or better, of any a-side or album track. 

GNR have always been a remarkably bad b-sides band! 

There are arguably no true GNR b-sides because the SOYL was the only one that was and now it’s been released as a single.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

There are arguably no true GNR b-sides because the SOYL was the only one that was and now it’s been released as a single.

Good point. I wonder if that situation exists with any other band? I'd be surprised if there was. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member




×
×
  • Create New...