The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Don't forget the alternate take of acoustic You're Crazy which was a b-side. It was recorded before the Lies version and I honestly prefer it

Is that only available as a B-side or is it also on the AFD deluxe boxset?

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

The Stone Roses are an interesting comparison to GNR.

Two bands with relatively small discographies but a huge following.

And I think the fact the Roses canned the 3rd album speaks to the pressure on Axl (at least to him). He'd rather release nothing than stuff he viewed as tarnishing their legacy. 

Pretty sure I remember reading a Slash interview when he said he nearly joined the Stone Roses. Must have been around 96 when Guns was falling apart and John Squire quit the Stone Roses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ToonGuns said:

Pretty sure I remember reading a Slash interview when he said he nearly joined the Stone Roses. Must have been around 96 when Guns was falling apart and John Squire quit the Stone Roses.

This information came from Stone Roses members. Slash has never confirmed it, as far as I know.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-stone-roses-2-1197357

https://www.hotpress.com/music/slash-was-up-for-the-stone-roses-confirms-mani-2865707

It probably had to do with Doug Goldstein, who was going to manage the Stone Roses at the time (but he didn't, eventually). Interestingly enough, around the same time Zakk Wylde, who was managed by Goldstein, rehearsed with GnR.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This information came from Stone Roses members. Slash has never confirmed it, as far as I know.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-stone-roses-2-1197357

https://www.hotpress.com/music/slash-was-up-for-the-stone-roses-confirms-mani-2865707

It probably had to do with Doug Goldstein, who was going to manage the Stone Roses at the time (but he didn't, eventually). Interestingly enough, around the same time Zakk Wylde, who was managed by Goldstein, rehearsed with GnR.

Cheers. That's not quite how I remember it but I might be misremembering. The version I remember reading was from Slash's side, not the Stone Rose's side. I remember Slash saying something like "I was so fucked up at that point in my life I nearly joined the Stone Roses". Whatever the truth, it's a funny story and would never have worked out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Cheers. That's not quite how I remember it but I might be misremembering. The version I remember reading was from Slash's side, not the Stone Rose's side. I remember Slash saying something like "I was so fucked up at that point in my life I nearly joined the Stone Roses". Whatever the truth, it's a funny story and would never have worked out. 

I'd like to find that Slash interview. Any idea when it was from?

• Like 1

It's doing my nut now trying to remember where I read it.

What makes me think I am remembering correctly (other than my brain telling me I am!), is that this tweet from Slash is from 2013:

https://mobile.twitter.com/slash/status/323846788677242882

Yet all the news articles including that NME link / Hot Press link are from 2016 when the Stone Roses guitarist was interviewed.

It was already a thing prior to that 2016 interview. I just can't remember where I read it - maybe a Classic Rock Guns edition (which was pretty much every other edition) or a fan pack digi pack album edition? I'll keep trawling my brain.

1 minute ago, ToonGuns said:

It's doing my nut now trying to remember where I read it.

What makes me think I am remembering correctly (other than my brain telling me I am!), is that this tweet from Slash is from 2013:

https://mobile.twitter.com/slash/status/323846788677242882

Yet all the news articles including that NME link / Hot Press link are from 2016 when the Stone Roses guitarist was interviewed.

It was already a thing prior to that 2016 interview. I just can't remember where I read it - maybe a Classic Rock Guns edition (which was pretty much every other edition) or a fan pack digi pack album edition? I'll keep trawling my brain.

Yeah, I've seen that Slash tweet. The second link I posted (Hot Press Mani interview) was from 2006 and in the NME 2016 article there is a link to a Slash interview from 2010 where he said he didn't know where the rumour came from and he'd never met the Stone Roses. So the rumour had been around since at least 2006. The information that Doug Goldstein was going to manage the Stone Roses was in the press in early 1995, but there was nothing about Slash in those articles.

Just now, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I've seen that Slash tweet. The second link I posted (Hot Press Mani interview) was from 2006 and in the NME 2016 article there is a link to a Slash interview from 2010 where he said he didn't know where the rumour came from and he'd never met the Stone Roses. So the rumour had been around since at least 2006. The information that Doug Goldstein was going to manage the Stone Roses was in the press in early 1995, but there was nothing about Slash in those articles.

can't find any Slash interview where he mentioned he almost joined the Stone Roses and it seems like the band never seriously considered it. Pretty sure Slash didn't say that, but I guess it's possible.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Having thought about it more, what I remember (vaguely) is an interview with Slash where he basically said had he stayed in Guns he would have died etc etc, and he was that bored and messed up and that desperate at one point he nearly joined the Stone Roses, but was glad he didn't. I knew the "leather pants" story as well. It's late here now but will check some of my print interviews tomorrow. I could be wrong, but my brain is telling me otherwise!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

can't find any Slash interview where he mentioned he almost joined the Stone Roses and it seems like the band never seriously considered it. Pretty sure Slash didn't say that, but I guess it's possible.

Maybe it was something Doug Goldstein was working on unbeknownst to Slash (or partly unbeknownst). In early 1995, when the rumour about Goldstein and the Stone Roses circulated, the press speculated that Goldstein might not manage GnR anymore and also that Zakk Wylde had been tried out as Slash's replacement - neither of that was true, of course, as Goldstein never intended to quit managing GnR (regardless of whether he would also manage the Stone Roses) and everyone (Axl, Slash, Zakk etc.) clearly stated that Zakk had been brought in to play along Slash.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Having thought about it more, what I remember (vaguely) is an interview with Slash where he basically said had he stayed in Guns he would have died etc etc, and he was that bored and messed up and that desperate at one point he nearly joined the Stone Roses, but was glad he didn't. I knew the "leather pants" story as well. It's late here now but will check some of my print interviews tomorrow. I could be wrong, but my brain is telling me otherwise!

Sounds familiar to me too. But i can't remember where i read it...🤷‍♂️

Edited by ZODIAC

8 hours ago, Draguns said:

Hopefully, I'll be seeing them next year. Dirty Honey was supposed to open for the Godsmack/Halestorm concert in April at Prudential Center. That concert has been rescheduled for April 2021. I think they are a good, young band. 

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fire Away and their self-titled EP are really good. I'm looking forward to their full album, but some of the stuff they've played live hasn't been very interesting.

They did a livestream concert a few weeks ago that you can watch. It's on the Veeps website.

26 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Oh my God, I had a dream last night. I was in a room and Fernando communicated with me over some speakers. Each time I asked him if there will be a new album, he told me to move on, so I did. I moved on into the next room each time he said it. But here it is, guys: the last room didn't have any doors. Obviously that's a sign and I'm incredibly excited to announce this here.

If the last room right have any doors then how did you get in?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nesret said:

Oh my God, I had a dream last night. I was in a room and Fernando communicated with me over some speakers. Each time I asked him if there will be a new album, he told me to move on, so I did. I moved on into the next room each time he said it. But here it is, guys: the last room didn't have any doors. Obviously that's a sign and I'm incredibly excited to announce this here.

Sounds like a Saw trap for GNR fans 🤣

10 hours ago, Nesret said:

It didn't have any Doors but did it have any Zeppelin? :P

• Haha 1

This is an interesting interview with the Spotify CEO. (https://www.nme.com/news/music/spotify-ceo-says-its-not-enough-for-artists-to-release-albums-every-3-4-years-2719272)

"“You can’t record music once every three to four years and think that’s going to be enough. The artists today that are making it realise that it’s about creating a continuous engagement with their fans. It is about putting the work in, about the storytelling around the album, and about keeping a continuous dialogue with your fans.”

Or a lost less frequently if you're Guns N' Roses.  As much as I can understand and appreciate the time and effort that bands like Tool and Guns N' Roses take to make albums - in an era of everyday streaming and "special edition CD" purchases for the die hards, I can see how that mindset might need to change.  The quote (and larger article) seems more and more accurate.  Or not, it's rock n' roll.

Hopefully it's not just a new album, but "continuous engagement."  Might as well retool the tracks available, add some new ones, drag it out with archive video/audio releases (see Rolling Stones or Metallica) - rinse and repeat for as long as they want to be considered an "active" band.  

For my money, the release of Taylor Swift's "folklore" is as successful launch and marketing as can be done in the modern era.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BigVanVader said:

This is an interesting interview with the Spotify CEO. (https://www.nme.com/news/music/spotify-ceo-says-its-not-enough-for-artists-to-release-albums-every-3-4-years-2719272)

"“You can’t record music once every three to four years and think that’s going to be enough. The artists today that are making it realise that it’s about creating a continuous engagement with their fans. It is about putting the work in, about the storytelling around the album, and about keeping a continuous dialogue with your fans.”

Or a lost less frequently if you're Guns N' Roses.  As much as I can understand and appreciate the time and effort that bands like Tool and Guns N' Roses take to make albums - in an era of everyday streaming and "special edition CD" purchases for the die hards, I can see how that mindset might need to change.  The quote (and larger article) seems more and more accurate.  Or not, it's rock n' roll.

Hopefully it's not just a new album, but "continuous engagement."  Might as well retool the tracks available, add some new ones, drag it out with archive video/audio releases (see Rolling Stones or Metallica) - rinse and repeat for as long as they want to be considered an "active" band.  

For my money, the release of Taylor Swift's "folklore" is as successful launch and marketing as can be done in the modern era.

He's a total prick. I agree with every musician here: https://www.nme.com/news/music/musicians-criticise-spotify-ceo-album-release-comments-2719827

"Work harder to make me more money". Spotify fuck over artists, so fuck them. I wish artists would boycott them....but with no viable alternative they're stuck. All I can do as a fan is never use it. 

But, yeah, absolutely Taylor Swift is the benchmark for how to release a new album..... especially in the pandemic. It sold great even though she couldn't tour to promote to it. And 'shock, horror' shitloads of people bought physical copies! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 4

People write music in ways that they know/hope will appeal to the spotify playlist generation algorithms. So the CEO and the algorithms essentially pressure songwriters into selecting types of rhythms to get on like a 'chill out' playlist. And they are pressured to sing about BBQing to get on 'pool party' playlists. Producers observe what synths are favoured by the algorithms and put it on everything. Its not good.

Similar thing happening on Tic Tok too. Artists are able to observe and anticipate what rhythms and themes will go viral. So theres artists who dont follow their muse, they follow Tic Toks muse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soon said:

People write music in ways that they know/hope will appeal to the spotify playlist generation algorithms. So the CEO and the algorithms essentially pressure songwriters into selecting types of rhythms to get on like a 'chill out' playlist. And they are pressured to sing about BBQing to get on 'pool party' playlists. Producers observe what synths are favoured by the algorithms and put it on everything. Its not good.

Similar thing happening on Tic Tok too. Artists are able to observe and anticipate what rhythms and themes will go viral. So theres artists who dont follow their muse, they follow Tic Toks muse.

That's perverted. And every "artist" who plays along with that can fuck off as well.

• Like 3