Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

There are arguably no true GNR b-sides because the SOYL was the only one that was and now it’s been released as a single.

The only other one I can think of would be the B-side to Jungle on vinyl being Whole Lotta Rosie live which also ended up on the Live From The Jungle EP, and that is just a live cover of an AC/DC tune anyways

I am now imagining a world where GNR used the B-sides to their singles as a way to put out tunes like Just Another Sunday that wouldn't have necessarily fit the albums they came out with and man that is yet another hugely missed opportunity for the band over the years

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Might as well bust this out again:

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, everyone talks about the quality of their bsides, but almost all of their albums bar one are wildly inconsistent and full of filler. Bands/artists should only release bsides if they have enough quality material for their main albums imo.

Yeah I agree! B-sides are great for deluxe editions. Like I love some of the deluxe edition b-sides on The Darkness albums, some of which I would have said were even better than some of the album songs!. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, everyone talks about the quality of their bsides, but almost all of their albums bar one are wildly inconsistent and full of filler. Bands/artists should only release bsides if they have enough quality material for their main albums imo.

That's a bit harsh...Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are all killer no filler....I fucking love the obnoxious cocaine fueled Be Here Now...My Big Mouth is incredible, Dont Believe The Truth was great as well..

Edited by fowlerisgod
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Oasis’ first two albums (Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory) and the b-side album The Masterplan (shame that “Round Are Way” isn’t on it, tho). The rest of the albums only have a few good songs here and there, imo.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah I agree! B-sides are great for deluxe editions. Like I love some of the deluxe edition b-sides on The Darkness albums, some of which I would have said were even better than some of the album songs!. 

Oh no! Now you've let yourself down here with The Darkness! 

I absolutely dread to think what The Darkness rejected for their albums given some of the stuff they seemed to think acceptable for singles! I'm still recovering from hearing their 'comedy' Christmas song! 

Definitely not my cup of tea! I've just got a passionate dislike of any of these 'ironic' and 'funny' metal bands that popped up- Steel Panther etc.

Each to their own though....and at least they all seem to release new music. So the joke is on clowns like me, still clinging onto the idea that someone might make a classic rock I like ever again! Ha! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

The only other one I can think of would be the B-side to Jungle on vinyl being Whole Lotta Rosie live which also ended up on the Live From The Jungle EP, and that is just a live cover of an AC/DC tune anyways

I am now imagining a world where GNR used the B-sides to their singles as a way to put out tunes like Just Another Sunday that wouldn't have necessarily fit the albums they came out with and man that is yet another hugely missed opportunity for the band over the years

I forgot about Rosie cuz I listen to the NITL version so much lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, zigzagbigbag said:

This whole „reunion“ has become such an unbelievable joke. Honestly, I wish they had not reunited. Yes, I had some fun at the two NITL shows I joined. But this fun of around six hours in no way does outweight all the frustration and bullshit of the remaining four years.

After four years of the reunion I can clearly state that my 30 years lasting love for this band has heavily faded. NITL I would have thought this could happen one day. Well, GNR (or what is left) proved me wrong. Congratulations!

I'm still glad they reunited but I wish they had ended the tour after 2017. Maybe made an effort to get Izzy and Steven for the AFD 30th anniversary, then moved on to something new. 

I agree with the last paragraph, I feel the same way.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh no! Now you've let yourself down here with The Darkness! 

I absolutely dread to think what The Darkness rejected for their albums given some of the stuff they seemed to think acceptable for singles! I'm still recovering from hearing their 'comedy' Christmas song! 

Definitely not my cup of tea! I've just got a passionate dislike of any of these 'ironic' and 'funny' metal bands that popped up- Steel Panther etc.

Each to their own though....and at least they all seem to release new music. So the joke is on clowns like me, still clinging onto the idea that someone might make a classic rock I like ever again! Ha! 

I love Steel Panther but I don't like the Darkness, partially because of the guy's voice but also because I think their songs are just straight up stupid. Steel Panther is 100x better imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I would love it if Slash gave Axl an ultimatum, release a new album in next 12 months or I walk.

Would be a good attempt to force a new record, but I don't think Axl can be forced to do anything and Slash is in a position where he can choose what to do. If working with GNR is an option he makes it happen, otherwise he's busy with the Conspirators and the endless amount of other projects he's involved in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Didn't Meegan also confirm a new SMKC album is coming?

Do you all think Axl will be slightly aggrieved if SMKC release a new album in the next 6 - 12 months. I find it a tad embarrassing that GnR have been talking about “ writing” or “recording“ and “ideas” for several years and can’t figure out how to actually put together a release and then Bam! , Slash punches out another album to the world with the greatest of ease. It’s sickeningly funny. But part of me would think Axl would be a bit annoyed about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Do you all think Axl will be slightly aggrieved if SMKC release a new album in the next 6 - 12 months. I find it a tad embarrassing that GnR have been talking about “ writing” or “recording“ and “ideas” for several years and can’t figure out how to actually put together a release and then Bam! , Slash punches out another album to the world with the greatest of ease. It’s sickeningly funny. But part of me would think Axl would be a bit annoyed about that.

I doubt it. He didn't seem bothered by the last one, and Slash doing a world tour! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck Axl, if he can't get his shit together. What is Slash supposed to do, waste another 10 years? 

I wish they never did this "reunion". They (Axl, Slash, Duff) really killed Guns N' Roses. It's all over.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh no! Now you've let yourself down here with The Darkness! 

I absolutely dread to think what The Darkness rejected for their albums given some of the stuff they seemed to think acceptable for singles! I'm still recovering from hearing their 'comedy' Christmas song! 

Definitely not my cup of tea! I've just got a passionate dislike of any of these 'ironic' and 'funny' metal bands that popped up- Steel Panther etc.

Each to their own though....and at least they all seem to release new music. So the joke is on clowns like me, still clinging onto the idea that someone might make a classic rock I like ever again! Ha! 

The Darkness definitely have a quirky sense of humour, but I absolutely would not put them in the Steel Panther mock band category. The Darkness are actually more sarcastic than funny or ironic (although there's clearly a bit of both, especially if you watch the videos). I don't know, I've just always loved them, probably a top 5 band that I've seen live too!

I proudly defend the Hawkins brothers!😄I think the funny videos helped them in the beginning to get noticed, but now 18yrs later people just remember them as a goof band even though they have made some great songs (well if you like his voice). Edit - Each time they release an album they ALWAYS release the worst song first, I don't know who decides, but they need to be taken out back and shot🤣

As for new classic rock🤔Besides bands that are 10-20yrs old like Rival sons, the only good thing I've heard is Dirty Honey, and they haven't released a LP yet, so the verdict is definitely not in on them, but I like what I've heard so far! Gretta van fleet doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Towelie said:

I would love it if Slash gave Axl an ultimatum, release a new album in next 12 months or I walk.

That would be amazing. To be honest I thought it would've happened already, but the longer this "reunion" goes on the more obvious it is becoming that this was never meant to be a creative regrouping, but more so 3 men looking for a little nest egg before retirement. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Towelie said:

I would love it if Slash gave Axl an ultimatum, release a new album in next 12 months or I walk.

He is never walking - he has the best of both worlds. I think we will get material based on what has been said by Slash himself re GNR and the fact he will likely be working on both (when is another matter)....however in what way/format is anyone’s guess.

Is it possible they don’t think at this point the material is strong enough to put out? With song like Atlas/Perhaps/Hardschool in ‘the locker’ that’s clearly not the case IMO but maybe they think differently?

If the new stuff was an a par quality wise with VR/CD/some Snakepit I’d be pleased but if it was SMKC level (not heard Tenderness TBF) I’d be gutted. There are random songs on SMKC where Slash shines but mostly IMO it’s very generic stuff.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DurhamGirl said:

Is Slash that bothered?

No! 😁There's no way Slash would say that. Maybe Slash when he was in 20s or 30s... but Slash hitting 60 is happy with touring and earning a lot of money, it's the icing on the cake if he gets to release his own music through GNR these days... other wise he just does SMKC on the side and gets his kicks from that. 

We care a million times more than Slash. But, I will point to the GNR guys being upset when Kirk Hammett called them out for being a nostalgia act as a sign that they don't want to be perceived that way... obviously they are a nostalgia act and everything they do feeds that, but in their eyes they are forging forward I guess! So, maybe Slash is delusional about what this run with GNR will bring? but my guess is that he knows that touring might just be the most this band does and he's happy to row along with it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WhazUp said:

The only other one I can think of would be the B-side to Jungle on vinyl being Whole Lotta Rosie live which also ended up on the Live From The Jungle EP, and that is just a live cover of an AC/DC tune anyways

I am now imagining a world where GNR used the B-sides to their singles as a way to put out tunes like Just Another Sunday that wouldn't have necessarily fit the albums they came out with and man that is yet another hugely missed opportunity for the band over the years

Don't forget the alternate take of acoustic You're Crazy which was a b-side. It was recorded before the Lies version and I honestly prefer it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

No! 😁There's no way Slash would say that. Maybe Slash when he was in 20s or 30s... but Slash hitting 60 is happy with touring and earning a lot of money, it's the icing on the cake if he gets to release his own music through GNR these days... other wise he just does SMKC on the side and gets his kicks from that. 

We care a million times more than Slash. But, I will point to the GNR guys being upset when Kirk Hammett called them out for being a nostalgia act as a sign that they don't want to be perceived that way... obviously they are a nostalgia act and everything they do feeds that, but in their eyes they are forging forward I guess! So, maybe Slash is delusional about what this run with GNR will bring? but my guess is that he knows that touring might just be the most this band does and he's happy to row along with it.

Were they annoyed by that 'nostalgia' comment? What did they say? 

At the moment they are the epitome of a nostalgia act really. Even the merch is all based around AFD and the past. They'd be hard pushed to deny they weren't a nostalgia vehicle really, as things stand. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Were they annoyed by that 'nostalgia' comment? What did they say? 

At the moment they are the epitome of a nostalgia act really. Even the merch is all based around AFD and the past. They'd be hard pushed to deny they weren't a nostalgia vehicle really, as things stand. 

And if that’s all they are/want to be then fine - I think we’d all be fine if they confirmed that’s what they want to do and it would cool down all the festering feelings on the forums re new material/lies etc. But whilst they maintain there is stuff happening it just keeps everyone on edge.....we need an update from Susan!!!!! 😂

I still think we will get something....I maybe delusional tho 😂. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...