The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

That's perverted. And every "artist" who plays along with that can fuck off as well.

I certainly agree with this sentiment.

Id add that fans who play along with Spotifys model can fuck off as well. By that I mean if people never go off-app to support artists they like on Spotify by buying their work at Band Camp or whatever. If fans dont support artists, especially new ones, the artists only chance for revenue is by writing for the algorithms. In theory the artists only need to do that sometimes if they have any success for the algorithms to then start also presenting their wider catalogue more frequently. But it quickly becomes the main grind for some artists. Soon it will be AI wiring for AI if fans dont step up! 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, soon said:

I certainly agree with this sentiment.

Id add that fans who play along with Spotifys model can fuck off as well. By that I mean if people never go off-app to support artists they like on Spotify by buying their work at Band Camp or whatever. If fans dont support artists, especially new ones, the artists only chance for revenue is by writing for the algorithms. In theory the artists only need to do that sometimes if they have any success for the algorithms to then start also presenting their wider catalogue more frequently. But it quickly becomes the main grind for some artists. Soon it will be AI wiring for AI if fans dont step up! 

If you can't put your hand in your pocket and spend a few pounds/dollars on something an artist has spent a lot of time and money on to support them to do the same in the future then it's a sorry state of affairs. 

Some people seem happy to spend more on a damn coffee than music. 

• Like 3

It’s totally a generational thing - people of a certain age know the value of music whereas I’d argue the majority of the younger population don’t (not all - there is always an exception to the ’rule‘).

I always make a point of buying stuff I like by my favourite artists - lots of us do but not everyone. I just wish there was more stuff of one of my favourite bands to buy...... 

• Like 2

On 27/08/2020 at 9:26 AM, allwaystired said:

He's a total prick. I agree with every musician here: https://www.nme.com/news/music/musicians-criticise-spotify-ceo-album-release-comments-2719827

"Work harder to make me more money". Spotify fuck over artists, so fuck them. I wish artists would boycott them....but with no viable alternative they're stuck. All I can do as a fan is never use it. 

But, yeah, absolutely Taylor Swift is the benchmark for how to release a new album..... especially in the pandemic. It sold great even though she couldn't tour to promote to it. And 'shock, horror' shitloads of people bought physical copies! 

Is the point of Guns N' Roses not meant to be that they're as unconventional as they come? Sure, it'd be fun if they'd released a new album every 4 years for the last 30 years but there's something to be said for maintaining quality over quantity. If they don't have genuinely great music to release I'd probably rather they didn't. Part of the fun of this band is the mythology associated with the "what if" element of the band.

Since 2016 I've managed to see them 4 times in various places around the US. I'm grateful for that and if that's all I ever get again then, to me, they'll live and die as the best rock band ever.

I'm so comfortable with them not releasing a "has been" album these days.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, allwaystired said:

I doubt it. He didn't seem bothered by the last one, and Slash doing a world tour! 

But was that in the middle of Guns N' Roses supposedly working on a new album? I can't remember?

The dissapointing years all just get mixed up together for me these days, my timeline of being a GnR fan is just one very long winding road of saddness and dissapointment!

:P

On 8/30/2020 at 10:43 PM, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Man, even if they did an AFD5 reunion next week, Izzy would be gone again by Christmas. I don't care if the new album sounds like a Mariah Carey Easter LP, I just want them to work on something. 

they could sing happy birthday 12 different ways, and I would take it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

Just think how time flies. Soon we can celebrate one year anniversary of Fernando saying: "Within six months"

I want a new GNR record more than anything else but this statement by Fernando never got me excited. Even without Covid there wouldn't be a new album out by now.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I want a new GNR record more than anything else but this statement by Fernando never got me excited. Even without Covid there wouldn't be a new album out by now.

I'm 100% of the view that Covid has nothing to do with the lack of new material in any way, shape or form.

It will be interesting to see what people say though when/if touring starts again and there is no new material........

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

I'm asking because my Mercedes only has a cassette tape player. :)

After the album drops in 2030, it would be nice to have it in my Benz. :D

Haha! 

I do actually wish we were at the stage of discussing what formats this (at present fictional) album will be released on seriously! Sadly we're still at the stage of debating whether the album is even being made! 

• Like 1

COVID was a convenient excuse for this bands ineptitude in being able to re-release anything other than a shitty record that the daft shits tried to block in the first place.

Tell you what, I’m seeing the negativity grow across all the forums and even on the FB posts by GNR. One upon a time the latter contained nothing but posts by nut swingers. 

• Like 1