The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

There will be no single released because there is no album. No band is more top secret than Van Halen and even they couldn't stop reports leaking onto the forums throughout 2010 when it came to ADKOT. If GNR were recording an album and it was set to be released soon there would be a million leaks from people around the band, people in the industry, ect.

To be fair, Van Halen are not in the same league as GNR. They're not a stadium act, raking in a fuckload of cash. A better comparison would be to someone like Beyonce or Eminem - both artists who've surprise-released albums in recent years.

I don't think they're actually getting ready to release an album, but they could keep it pretty secretive if they really wanted to. 

1 hour ago, Wabby said:

Well it isn’t really a secret that they’ve been working on it. Last year Eminem released a suprise album without anything leaking out that it was coming so its not impossible, unlikely but not impossible 

Slash and Duff giving the same answers Fortus has been giving for over a decade does not mean they've been working on it.

• Like 1

Heres what I think if GNR can deliver us a album, of course we'll be happy, but what us fans deserve for sticking to them for so long is another double album, we've put up with all the bullshit the break up in '95, a decade wait for Chinese and no new album after that when we all know they had enough material for another or a few more, the bullshit merch, over priced tickets, and the only change to a 3 year tour was pretty much a few covers. GNR should do what they did for the Illusions, one album of old material which would be unreleased CD material, the other being brand new written material, and hell if they like covering songs so damn much then record another cover album or EP to go with that, after touring a double album put out Live Era II with live songs from a new tour and the NITL tour. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Slash and Duff giving the same answers Fortus has been giving for over a decade does not mean they've been working on it.

Slash said verbatim that he's been recording on and off for GNR, and that after the fall '19 festivals finishing it would be their focus.  I'm not saying that means an album will drop tomorrow, but he can't unsay that stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Again....nah.... I went back two pages and couldn't find anyone saying GNR wouldn't survive without forum members buying tickets. Not sure what you mean by it being mentioned "everywhere" either. 

I guess I could see you're post being taken in that way, but again, you weren't saying anything along the lines of "GNR won't survive without forum members buying tickets".

Now stop. There are plenty of people who state they won't go to a show until new material is released, and think the band will notice. Just saying the lack of new material won't break the band

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LoadedNightraiN said:

Now stop. There are plenty of people who state they won't go to a show until new material is released, and think the band will notice. Just saying the lack of new material won't break the band

You...you do realize you're in the "new album" thread, right?

14 minutes ago, Caedo said:

I get that making sense isn't always the way with Gnr, but what would make perfect sense in terms of the reason for actually having this random gig would be to play the gig, play some or at least one new song and release a single on the same day, then the next day announce the US stadium tour with a release date for a new album. And put an ad during the Super Bowl for the album/tour. 

So much stuff that's known to be happening doesn't make any sense without new music, a random one off gig they won't profit from, talk of a "new show" and "new era" and a stadium tour when they've been playing progressively smaller arenas for the past 3 years. 

Yeah, the stadium tour thing really is an odd one if true. Going from Arenas, none of which sold out, back to stadiums? Odd. But then I found it very odd that they were doing stadiums again in Europe. 

4 minutes ago, LoadedNightraiN said:

No- they just don't really want to spend their money on it and are hence voting with their feet and making their point.  

21 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Slash said verbatim that he's been recording on and off for GNR, and that after the fall '19 festivals finishing it would be their focus.  I'm not saying that means an album will drop tomorrow, but he can't unsay that stuff.

And in 2014 Axl said he had CD II completed and after the tour he'd start looking very seriously into what he was going to do in that regard. Means nothing.

I'm honestly not interested in arguing this with any of you anymore. I'm convinced you're all masochists.

6 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

And in 2014 Axl said he had CD II completed and after the tour he'd start looking very seriously into what he was going to do in that regard. Means nothing.

I'm honestly not interested in arguing this with any of you anymore. I'm convinced you're all masochists.

Hey man believe whatever you want, you maybe 100% right that will never see anything as far as new material, but saying it is impossible for them to work on anything without the world knowing about through these so called “leaks” thats just not true

7 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

What Axl wanted and what happened were two different things. The record company appeared to frustrate a lot of things back in the day. With every manager, there was the ultimate goal to reunite some form of old GN'R.

Anything historical can be disregarded now, money things can also be disregarded now. What is happening now can be taken on more literal terms.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LoadedNightraiN said:

Literally no one has said that they think the band will notice if forum members don't go to shows. 

1 hour ago, Caedo said:

I get that making sense isn't always the way with Gnr, but what would make perfect sense in terms of the reason for actually having this random gig would be to play the gig, play some or at least one new song and release a single on the same day, then the next day announce the US stadium tour with a release date for a new album. And put an ad during the Super Bowl for the album/tour. 

So much stuff that's known to be happening doesn't make any sense without new music, a random one off gig they won't profit from, talk of a "new show" and "new era" and a stadium tour when they've been playing progressively smaller arenas for the past 3 years. 

A SB ad is north of 5 million dollars. They aren’t spending that by themselves. They’re would be a brand tie in or where they are in someone else’s commercial. 

Then you get into the question of what is GNR’s worth to a brand in 2020? Or at least what’s a new song/album/tour worth? I’m sure they’d love to use Jungle or something people know. I just don’t see the allure to hitch your biggest ad on 50+ yr old rock stars new material. 

That being said, they could very well surprise release something between now and then. This show just screams a bigger than normal payday and ultimately a warmup before heading across the pond 

I think it’s important to remember that late last year, Slash said that they honestly hadn’t really properly started work on an album. He then said that there would be some dates in SA in 2020 and that was it for touring. 

He implied that this year they’d be working on an album. I can’t possibly imagine how they could have finished it by now.

Obviously, they then announced a Euro tour and Susan leaked a US tour later in the year. 

That leaves 2 possible outcomes.

1) Slash is full of shit and deliberately throwing us off the scent. 
2) Slash was telling the truth and the new album is getting kicked back again. 

I have to go with option 2. If there was an album, Susan would have leaked it by now.

9 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I think it’s important to remember that late last year, Slash said that they honestly hadn’t really properly started work on an album. He then said that there would be some dates in SA in 2020 and that was it for touring. 

He implied that this year they’d be working on an album. I can’t possibly imagine how they could have finished it by now.

Obviously, they then announced a Euro tour and Susan leaked a US tour later in the year. 

That leaves 2 possible outcomes.

1) Slash is full of shit and deliberately throwing us off the scent. 
2) Slash was telling the truth and the new album is getting kicked back again. 

I have to go with option 2. If there was an album, Susan would have leaked it by now.

Option 3: Slash was telling the truth, but in GNR land things change. Maybe there’s an album and a tour. I think that’s one of the reasons everyone is always vague

Maybe it’s just a tour. Maybe they have an album to go along with it. Maybe the album has been scrapped. Maybe the album has been pushed back. 

Welcome to GNR land. The same it’s always been. Nobody knows anything, because it all changes tomorrow  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

4 hours ago, Mysteron said:

Anything historical can be disregarded now, money things can also be disregarded now. What is happening now can be taken on more literal terms.

yes, common sense can also be disregarded now that the band has reunited but it will only lead to disappointment. It's naive to think the situation with how Axl operates is completely different. It is different, yes: the band probably will have way more support from the record company and Axl could be more confident and open to new musical ideas thanks to the history he shares with Slash and Duff and the success they have known together.

but nothing we know has indicated Axl changed the way he creates music. he is still a tinkerer/perfectionist call it what you like. His instinct is to try everything under the sun in the studio, piecing it together. His process is painfully long and the name Guns N' Roses on an album seem to have a very deep meaning to him like it's gotta be "right". The reasons for why he has released 1 album in almost 30 years consist of more than just money or lack of support. Those are factors, but he obviously takes this shit very seriously to the point where if it's not exactly what he wants it doesn't gets released.

He has admitted that he changed his mind about which tunes got to be a part of Chinese until the very last moment. That's the sign of an artist who always questions himself, his work. It's a problem that no one can really solve and it means until the album is handed over, the process can still be prolonged.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

yes, common sense can also be disregarded now that the band has reunited but it will only lead to disappointment. It's naive to think the situation with how Axl operates is completely different. It is different, yes: the band probably will have way more support from the record company and Axl could be more confident and open to new musical ideas thanks to the history he shares with Slash and Duff and the success they have known together.

but nothing we know has indicated Axl changed the way he creates music. he is still a tinkerer/perfectionist call it what you like. His instinct is to try everything under the sun in the studio, piecing it together. His process is painfully long and the name Guns N' Roses on an album seem to have a very deep meaning to him like it's gotta be "right". The reasons for why he has released 1 album in almost 30 years consist of more than just money or lack of support. Those are factors, but he obviously takes this shit very seriously to the point where if it's not exactly what he wants it doesn't gets released.

He has admitted that he changed his mind about which tunes got to be a part of Chinese until the very last moment. That's the sign of an artist who always questions himself, his work. It's a problem that no one can really solve and it means until the album is handed over, the process can still be prolonged.

He laid down most of the vocals for ChinDem within a week, and the album was more or less ready in 2000, let us not forget about that. The perfectionism only came later, when the money pricks started to meddle. My personal guess is Axl waged a war with them even on this front. 

Edited by jamillos
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Well of course we are! I mean, the last time these 3 guys have put something original together was 29 years ago, and yet we still stick with them. If that doesn’t make one a lunatic, I don’t know what does. :lol:

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

He laid down most of the vocals for ChinDem within a week, and the album was more or less ready in 2000, let us not forget about that. The perfectionism only came later, when the money pricks started to meddle. My personal guess is Axl waged a war with them even on this front. 

I don't think the perfectionism came later. It was an issue back when the band was working on UYI. Axl wanted to delay the release and the band put pressure on him to release it. As for Chinese, you are talking about the vocals, but what about the rest of the album? it's true Axl completed a version of Chinese as early as 1999. It took him 2 years to do so but what matters is what gets released not how many albums you've got in your vault.

It's not all on the record company as they gave zutaut a 1 million$ bonus in the condition he'll get Axl to release it and they stopped funding it in 2004. It might have been true at some earlier point in time but Axl had to have something to do with it imo.

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't think the perfectionism came later. It was an issue back when the band was working on UYI. Axl wanted to delay the release and the band put pressure on him to release it. As for Chinese, you are talking about the vocals, but what about the rest of the album? it's true Axl completed a version of Chinese as early as 1999. It took him 2 years to do so but what matters is what gets released not how many albums you've got in your vault.

It's not all on the record company as they gave zutaut a 1 million$ bonus in the condition he'll get Axl to release it and they stopped funding it in 2004. It might have been true at some earlier point in time but Axl had to have something to do with it imo.

Ok, but we can say he always was under some kind of pressure in the past – during UYI (they had a lot to prove, made tricky contracts, didn’t know much about legalese) and during CD (the "nightmare", as Axl said). Now he’s not, but then there are guys who are keen on making and releasing new music. So even if he fiddles around with demos, it can’t take very long, because of Slash (and Duff). They’ll be announcing a finished new album by the end of this year at the latest, mark my words. 

On a side note, what they could do in the meantime before March is release a DVD. I mean, when could be a better time than now. That is – if NITL is really over as they’ve been hinting. If so, there is no need to fear that people would just watch the video instead of attending the shows. That should not be a problem provided there is to be a brand-new show in 2020, right? Right?? 

Edited by jamillos