The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

There's more chance of Michael Jackson, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain and Elvis Presley forming a super group than GNR releasing a new album in 2020.

In 2021 I'd say 2 of those 4 aforementioned musicians making new music together is more likely than a new GNR record.

#HardSchool2022

Edited by jackparker123

It is not just hope. You are all very pessimistic.  There are thousands of evidences that have been leading this to happen: interviews with 4tus, slash, susan, duff, fernando. Knowing that they have already started some work on the new album means that they will probably release something in a maximum of 3-4 years.  A bad experience, like that of Chinese Democracy does not dictate the rule of events, mainly because the return of the old members creates a certain pressure under the band and the expectation that they know has existed since they returned. But, in fact, the question of whether they can tour is an important factor, which does not prevent them from recording.:heart:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jpgulde said:

Do you guys think that they will release the new album this year or in the next? And if they´re recording and developing new and old songs at home (because of the quarentine), is it gonna be a good album? I mean, i don´t trust very much in slash and duff composition

There’s optimism is that post. Hold on to it whatever you do as once it starts to leave it’s hard to get it back. Also, I don’t know how many Tuesdays are left in 2020.

Great to get a new thread on this. I think we should have a few more. More the merrier. 

2 hours ago, jpgulde said:

It is not just hope. You are all very pessimistic.  There are thousands of evidences that have been leading this to happen: interviews with 4tus, slash, susan, duff, fernando. Knowing that they have already started some work on the new album means that they will probably release something in a maximum of 3-4 years.  A bad experience, like that of Chinese Democracy does not dictate the rule of events, mainly because the return of the old members creates a certain pressure under the band and the expectation that they know has existed since they returned. But, in fact, the question of whether they can tour is an important factor, which does not prevent them from recording.:heart:

It really, really, REALLY is just hope I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:52 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Honestly, I just don't see them doing an album. Axl clearly doesn't have much of an interest in putting out new music and now that they have 3/5ths of the originals back together, they know they can keep on touring big venues a-la the Stones and Aerosmith until they have to pack it up. Crowds won't diminish at this point because of a lack of music. That is just the truth, the crowds show up to drink and hear SCOM.

A new record would be fantastic for us, but it would be the same as any other legacy rock act record nowadays. One or two "hits" that get a lot of radio play on your local rock station and maybe a commercial (and then after a year tops you won't hear it again unless you play it) and then a tour to match. Are you going to hear "Chinese Democracy", "The Day That Never Comes", "Hardwired", "The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)", "Tattoo", "Rock or Bust", "Rock N Roll Train", "God is Dead?", "Legendary Child", "Louder Than Words", etc, or even a newer song like Ozzy's "Under the Graveyard" on any radio station now? No way. Most people aren't going to go "I like that new GNR song, I'll go see them!" Sure, a few might, but not thousands per show that would make up a big part of the venue. The most significant traction I saw with a legacy band's "new" song was hearing "Doom and Gloom" in Avengers Endgame, but even that is more of a nod than anything. It pains me to say but if Zeppelin even got back together and did an album (lol), the same thing would happen to the record itself. The hypothetical, non existent, multi bazillion dollar reunion tour's purpose, regardless of how good the new material was, would be so people can say they saw Led Zeppelin. These bands' primes and ability to put a stamp on pop culture are long gone.

It's been 12 years since Axl put out an album, let alone one song. Before that, it was like 16 years before albums with original material with one song in between. He has had ample time to release something, and there have always been excuses why the time wasnt right and how it'll be different later-  "they have to properly promote Chinese", "they have to finish THIS tour leg first!", or to the current day's "they just got back together, then they will do new music!"

We are going on almost half a decade (God damn, wtf) since they got back together. If Axl wanted to put something out, it would have happened by now. The reunion isn't new anymore, it's lasted around the time it took from AfD- UYI and more than some bands have even lasted. 

I got a good fix out of them, I can say I saw them a few times and had a lot of fun in 2016. If Axl sucks now and if they don't put out new music, too bad, but it's whatever at this point. If Axl is going to do the nostalgia thing at least he got a semi authentic band to do it with. Of course I want an album, and think it's a waste Axl won't do it, but he probably just doesn't care without the incentive.

You're absolutely right about the current situation regarding classic rock. World's changed and people aren't interested in those nostalgia acts as they once were.

But thats only an excuse for somebody who doesn't want to release anything and for somebody who is searching for excuses. For a band like GNR.

Nobody would release rock music anymore if they all had the same idea. 

Music is still art and an artist's first priority should be to express his art to his fans. Not only if there is a certain amount of fans interested, you know? Do it for your self and do it for the kids out there who are still interested. You won't get the success you once had but there are still kids out there who would love your shit.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

with every day-month-year losing faith an album will happen. 

the guys don't even seem to be hanging out much with one another

like most of us -> they've apparently moved on  (family, projects, relaxing)

still was a wild ride back 1988-1994 with couple moments since

hopefully it happens and we get something/anything soon :headbang:

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Most bands, especially at that level, do not hang out all that often. Look at Angus, he's had no contact at all with Slade since the tour rapped up in 2016 and apparently that's normal procedure.

What we do know is that Axl and Slash have been in the same room (Axl's home studio) and recorded. There are positive signs out there, let's hope we're in for an unexpected load of great new music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I remember seeing meeghans twitter where her and slash went and spent xmas eve st axls. Meeghan thanked beta for the evening. Cant remember if that was 2016 or 17.

They arnt living in each others hip pockets as if its 86, but we know slash has been at axls recording. That at least gives me hope. Plus meeghan not filming with audio certain GNR sounchecks as well.

I just hope the old power plays between axl and slash circa 91 with band and music direction doesnt happen anymore. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

54 minutes ago, Dean said:

Most bands, especially at that level, do not hang out all that often. Look at Angus, he's had no contact at all with Slade since the tour rapped up in 2016 and apparently that's normal procedure.

What we do know is that Axl and Slash have been in the same room (Axl's home studio) and recorded. There are positive signs out there, let's hope we're in for an unexpected load of great new music. 

I wonder if its because slade is on a contract and not really a band member if that makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I remember seeing meeghans twitter where her and slash went and spent xmas eve st axls. Meeghan thanked beta for the evening. Cant remember if that was 2016 or 17.

They arnt living in each others hip pockets as if its 86, but we know slash has been at axls recording. That at least gives me hope. Plus meeghan not filming with audio certain GNR sounchecks as well.

I just hope the old power plays between axl and slash circa 91 with band and music direction doesnt happen anymore. 

The lack of information at the moment feels like 1990. There were rumours the band were working on the followup to AFD but nothing official from the band. At least thats how it was with magazines here in oz. Then in early 91 there was further info the band were working on a followup with no confirmed release date. As a 16 year old where GNR were my band, it was fucking torture.. So i feel something is happening.

Edited by Sydney Fan