The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think had they sent a few songs to radio like Chinese with a radio edit cutting the intro... then they could have hung in there for another week in the top ten... they didn't and the album died a death! It was a game of chicken and nobody was really winning from the stalemate! Axl lost most because he spent 10yrs making a record that a lot of people didn't even hear.

Good point, a few years leading up to CD, after hearing the leaks I really thought it would be the talk of the town. Poor, poor promotion. The album deserved a much better release. One inherent issue was it was released years too late, but there wasn't anything they could have done then to address that of course. I'm suprised the album did as well as it did considering.

I believe it would have done significantly better with more promo, all artwork covers, a tour to go with it (which eventually happened, for years lol) music videos, etc.  All were planned of course, including a follow-up album a few years after CD. The remix album was a weird idea, but I'd take it.

Missed opportunities, GN'R is a band of missed opportunities. 

Also, why they didn't choose Better as the main single blows my mind. Hardschool would have also worked, I'm fairly certain that song was "finished" by 2008. Perhaps would have worked too.

A good friend of mine said when they released CD as a single, he knew something was wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It wasn't crazy in Ireland either, I think it had it's own display in HMV but I could be wrong it's been a long time since GNR released that (an) album😄

I think had they sent a few songs to radio like Chinese with a radio edit cutting the intro... then they could have hung in there for another week in the top ten... they didn't and the album died a death! It was a game of chicken and nobody was really winning from the stalemate! Axl lost most because he spent 10yrs making a record that a lot of people didn't even hear.

There was also the issue that credibility wise they were pretty toxic. Not one 'tastemaker', anywhere, would champion them and they were regarded as something not worth bothering with (pretty sure that's still the same way....) so you almost had the perfect storm. No 'classic rock' stations/media were interested as they're so based in the past, formulaic and people that are into that sort of thing would run in horror from CD, and no more 'current' media was interested because it was GNR.

It was probably doomed anyway, so it's possible there was a calculated decision made on the promo side- why throw money at something that some people will buy anyway, and others wouldn't touch no matter what you do. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah there seemed to be nothing in the UK. I can't remember seeing anything at all. It got to number 2 in the album charts in it's first week then quickly plummeted. 

I remember seeing an advert on TV which had the beginning vocal of Scraped at the start of it and a shadow figure snake dancing and some voiceover crap about the wait being over blah blah - only saw it once. Was horrified they picked that vocal part :lol:

I heard Chinese Democracy played on Radio One a couple of times and that’s it.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

There was also the issue that credibility wise they were pretty toxic. Not one 'tastemaker', anywhere, would champion them and they were regarded as something not worth bothering with (pretty sure that's still the same way....) so you almost had the perfect storm. No 'classic rock' stations/media were interested as they're so based in the past, formulaic and people that are into that sort of thing would run in horror from CD, and no more 'current' media was interested because it was GNR.

It was probably doomed anyway, so it's possible there was a calculated decision made on the promo side- why throw money at something that some people will buy anyway, and others wouldn't touch no matter what you do. 

That last part probably sums it up closest. 

I can't believe they were considered toxic in 2009 after a well received 2006/07 tour, with marginal casualties. It's a damn shame, but it is what is! and to be honest Axl hasn't learnt a thing from the experience because he's delayed the follow up in equal (and more) amounts assuming your clock starts from 1997 onwards in the wait for Democracy. The fans have also not learnt a thing too though😄

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Regardless of what form it takes, it definitely will be a number 1....how long it’s there is another matter I guess. If 13 did well then GNR will blow it out the water.

A smart advertising campaign will help....If the record company is behind it then it will be massive. They weren’t behind CD but AFD LNL they were and the marketing behind that was good.

I agree. The LnL promotion got the whole forum excited so imagine what would happen with a new album.

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That last part probably sums it up closest. 

I can't believe they were considered toxic in 2009 after a well received 2006/07 tour, with marginal casualties. It's a damn shame, but it is what is! and to be honest Axl hasn't learnt a thing from the experience because he's delayed the follow up in equal (and more) amounts assuming your clock starts from 1997 onwards in the wait for Democracy. The fans have also not learnt a thing too though😄

I'm not sure 2006 was recieved as well as we'd like to think. It was great, but I don't think anyone was converted to them by it really- they were still regarded poorly I reckon in general. It's probably better remembered here as we differentiate but in the mind of most there's no distinction really- it was all just the same Nu-GNR. 

It's incredible though, as you say, that the same thing seems to be happening again. I suppose the only difference (for me) is that I knew CD was at least being worked on and recorded throughout all that time, whereas now I'm less than convinced that any serious attempt at an album is occuring. 

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. The LnL promotion got the whole forum excited so imagine what would happen with a new album.

Yeah, the AFD reissue got a big push and campaign, and was done pretty well I thought. That 'radio GNR' thing was a bit bizaare, but there was a lot of attention drawn to it. 

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I remember seeing an advert on TV which had the beginning vocal of Scraped at the start of it and a shadow figure snake dancing and some voiceover crap about the wait being over blah blah - only saw it once. Was horrified they picked that vocal part :lol:

Crikey - I’ve never heard/seen that advert?! Why oh why choose THAT vocal part...😖

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not sure 2006 was recieved as well as we'd like to think. It was great, but I don't think anyone was converted to them by it really- they were still regarded poorly I reckon in general. It's probably better remembered here as we differentiate but in the mind of most there's no distinction really- it was all just the same Nu-GNR. 

It's incredible though, as you say, that the same thing seems to be happening again. I suppose the only difference (for me) is that I knew CD was at least being worked on and recorded throughout all that time, whereas now I'm less than convinced that any serious attempt at an album is occuring. 

Oh I know there's the rose tinted glasses idea of 2006 looking back because the band and Axl sounded great! but what I mean is that they were going around playing big shows and and for the most part people were leaving satisfied. I know I left that show in 2006 and thought, god damn when are they releasing their new album so I can see this again!! I was about 15 or 16 at the time! 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, the AFD reissue got a big push and campaign, and was done pretty well I thought. That 'radio GNR' thing was a bit bizaare, but there was a lot of attention drawn to it. 

Out of likes but yes, they got everyone's attention. It was pretty exciting for a little while.

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Crikey - I’ve never heard/seen that advert?! Why oh why choose THAT vocal part...😖

Thankfully I only saw that one once, there was another ad with like a travel through time theme, kinda poking fun at how long it took to make but I’m sure that had CD playing in it not Scraped 😄

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Haha I had the video files of all those TV spots, probably still have them somewhere. They had one or two from a handful of songs. Overall production quality was low to moderate. 

When AFD was relaunched a few years back someone texted me saying a new GN'R album was announced. Imagine my disappointment when I found out they mistakenly thought the AFD deluxe release was a new album...

It's sort of like people saying OMG OMG GN'R has a new song! (And it's Shadow of Your Love they are referring to)

Edited by Sweersa

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Oh I know there's the rose tinted glasses idea of 2006 looking back because the band and Axl sounded great! but what I mean is that they were going around playing big shows and and for the most part people were leaving satisfied. I know I left that show in 2006 and thought, god damn when are they releasing their new album so I can see this again!! I was about 15 or 16 at the time! 

I had missed the  opportunity to see Axl at MSG in 2002. When he came  to NYC, we had a massive snowstorm. My friend and I couldn't make it as a result even though we had tickets for the show. Since I missed the show in 2002, I went to the 2006 show  at Hammerstein just to see Axl. I wasn't sure if Axl would come back to the area.  I didn't like that Slash  and Duff were  no longer in the band.  I also didn't really care much for the other members. With that being said, at least the band looked a lot better than the freak show of 2002. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

People realize we're heading into the end of the year without one single word or hint regarding music? And since there won't be a tour in 2021 we can all guess what next year will look like.

2021 will already be set aside for UYI so I can't see any concrete announcement of new music until 2022. And even then Axl will probably still find a way to push it into 2023 for the actual release date.

Nothing is happening soon.

15 years after TSI we got Chinese in 2008.

15 years after Chinese will we get the follow up in 2023??

12 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

Page 256. 

Ozzy Osbourne has hit the studio with Andrew again. Will Duff be there too?

I mean Axl, come on! 

It seems Duff won't be here this time, if you look at the video Watt posted on IG, it's Rob Trujillo on bass (that would be his first time on Ozzy record since '01).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Ozzy's dying & still managing to release & create new music ... This is beyond sad 

I said it before... either you are a thoroughbred musican, than you release music, no matter what, or you are not.

The bad thing with this reunion is it slows down Slash's musical output.

3 hours ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

I like popping in every 10 pages or so to see how much nothing has been released :lol: Why did I choose this band

They were the best, once. ;)

• Like 2