The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

7 minutes ago, Dean said:

I had the album pre-ordered for years from about 4 different sites. HMV, Virgin etc but due to the length of time, I had forgotten about them and ordered another copy. I got a copy delivered about 5 days before the release date, then 3 all came in the one go. Nice to know that I can now say it was HMV that gave me the 7" single :lol:

😂 - that’s hilarious...4 copies!! I recall heading to HMV to collect it....12 years ago....😖

• Sad 1
  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Might as well bust this out again:

Posted Images

Anybody see the Steel panther thing where they'll record a personalised song for you for $7500?

My idea is to float this idea to Fernando, piece by piece send him the 2020 leaks and get the new album ... it's going to be expensive, but as far as I can see, it's the only way we can get them to release something! I dibs the rant at the fans song where Axl calls me a cunt😄 that's easily worth $7500. "Who's coming with me!?"

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I was astonished how many 'fans' of the band seemed to know so little that I encountered on the NITL tour. They'd be there, decked out head to toe in GNR merchandise claiming to be 'obsessed with the band' then not even know really obvious things. It was almost like NITL flushed out all these weird people that needed something to latch on to. 

The weirdest I found was someone who thought that Slash had been in the band throughout! I never know what to say to these people, as I don't want to be the smart-arse prick, but find it difficult not to say something! 

I learnt my lesson in 2012 when I went to see them and in a bar near the venue there was a girl in a GNR shirt so I asked her if she was looking forward to the gig.....she had no idea that GNR were even still a band let alone playing a gig in the venue down the street. "Didn't they have that song in the 80s?" Following NITL she probably now lists herself as a "hardcore fan" in this world of self-imposed hyperbole we live in! 

4 hours ago, Dean said:

That is amazing haha. On the same trip, I went out to some cafe with my friend and his entourage and we were just chilling while I flicked through social media. Turned out that Frank was giving away drum skins or something about 5 minutes from where we were, we were in no rush but checked it out afterwards. He was away by the time we got there, but we bumped into this woman with her fella and she was acting like she'd just met Paul McCartney. Hyperventilating, struggling to contain her emotions etc and proceeded to tell us we'd just missed him. I told that story about my mate thinking he'd seen Stradlin but she didn't give a fuck and was still ecstatic at meeting Thunderchucker. Definitely a WTF moment!!!

I met a guy 2 years ago who claimed to be a huge Slash fan but was completely unaware that there was a new SMKC album coming out and that they were playing here in a month. Some fan...

Then I've mentioned my friend before who joined Nightrain to get tickets for the first London show. I told her there's no rush, they're going to announce a 2nd date (which they did the next day) and there's no advantage to joining Nightrain anyway as far as tickets go but she did it anyway. However for the SMKC London show she didn't rush like she should've and it ended up selling out. So stupid...

Edited by MaskingApathy
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Thanks for posting!  Man I really wish they gave the green light on the three different album covers that red hand cover looks great

Me too, I would have bought multiple of each like I did even with the boring bike cover. I think it would have sold better with the alt covers, they look sick. Imagine large advertising displays with the red hand and grenade. Killer artwork. 

11 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Thanks for posting!  Man I really wish they gave the green light on the three different album covers that red hand cover looks great

Me too, I would have bought multiple of each like I did even with the boring bike cover. I think it would have sold better with the alt covers, they look sick. Imagine large advertising displays with the red hand and grenade. Killer artwork. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Then I've mentioned my friend before who joined Nightrain to get tickets for the first London show. I told her there's no rush, they're going to announce a 2nd date (which they did the next day) and there's no advantage to joining Nightrain anyway as far as tickets go but she did it anyway. However for the SMKC London show she didn't rush like she should've and it ended up selling out. So stupid...

Hope your friend doesn’t read this forum, poor girl, who needs enemies eh :lol:

• Haha 2

They should take advantage of the fact that there won't be any touring in the foreseeable future and release a proper fucking Use Your Illusion III. Axl would nail it in the studio, and no one would be comparing it with live renditions at those 3-hour gigs, as there wouldn't be any. Throw in some good videos, promotion etc., and here we go!

20 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There was a 7" vinyl of Cd/Shackler's Revenge available in the UK too, if you pre-ordered from HMV. 

Looking back, it really is mad that it was never supported with a 'proper' single that received a big push. I can't see the logic in that one at all. 

Rock Band 2 gave the album some pretty big exposure; rhythm guitar gaming was huge at the time, and Harmonix (the developers) made sure to give Shackler's Revenge some special attention as being the long-awaited official debut of a song from Chinese Democracy.  

The band will always have a hard time pushing something new on the radio because they already have a massive backlog of hits that your typical rock station would rather put on rotation than something new and possibly polarizing.  I think I've only heard my local radio play SOYL once when the band was pushing it hard as a single, and this is a station that plays GNR like 15-20 times a day.

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

They should take advantage of the fact that there won't be any touring in the foreseeable future and release a proper fucking Use Your Illusion III. Axl would nail it in the studio, and no one would be comparing it with live renditions at those 3-hour gigs, as there wouldn't be any. Throw in some good videos, promotion etc., and here we go!

I agree. This is the perfect time to do it. But with Axl and Fernandon't in charge you know what will happen...

• GNFNR 1
4 hours ago, Gackt said:

Rock Band 2 gave the album some pretty big exposure; rhythm guitar gaming was huge at the time, and Harmonix (the developers) made sure to give Shackler's Revenge some special attention as being the long-awaited official debut of a song from Chinese Democracy.  

The band will always have a hard time pushing something new on the radio because they already have a massive backlog of hits that your typical rock station would rather put on rotation than something new and possibly polarizing.  I think I've only heard my local radio play SOYL once when the band was pushing it hard as a single, and this is a station that plays GNR like 15-20 times a day.

I think there is a demand. It's not huge but people will be interested in a similar way to 13 by black sabbath. Almost definitely a no 1 release on day 1, for up to 1-3 weeks... that's if they don't shit the bed.

Outside of oldies segments shows or classic rock specific radio shows, you never really hear gnr on the radio anymore (ireland). Then a few months after the afd boxster, I'm setting up for a gig and SOYL love is being played in the bar... it's a top 40 bar, definitely not a rock bar so I was very surprised!

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think there is a demand. It's not huge but people will be interested in a similar way to 13 by black sabbath. Almost definitely a no 1 release on day 1, for up to 1-3 weeks... that's if they don't shit the bed.

Outside of oldies segments shows or classic rock specific radio shows, you never really hear gnr on the radio anymore (ireland). Then a few months after the afd boxster, I'm setting up for a gig and SOYL love is being played in the bar... it's a top 40 bar, definitely not a rock bar so I was very surprised!

Regardless of what form it takes, it definitely will be a number 1....how long it’s there is another matter I guess. If 13 did well then GNR will blow it out the water.

A smart advertising campaign will help....If the record company is behind it then it will be massive. They weren’t behind CD but AFD LNL they were and the marketing behind that was good.

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Regardless of what form it takes, it definitely will be a number 1....how long it’s there is another matter I guess. If 13 did well then GNR will blow it out the water.

A smart advertising campaign will help....If the record company is behind it then it will be massive. They weren’t behind CD but AFD LNL they were and the marketing behind that was good.

How behind something can you be if the artist won't do interviews, release videos or go on tour? There's only so much they could do, and to be fair up to the release there was plenty of promotion for the record. It died off about a week after it came out, but I put most of that on the zero videos, interviews or shows.

That album should have been promoted with a storytellers mtv live or something. I would love to have heard the entire album played and talked through by Axl, that would have created some buzz and slowly eased people into the new sound.

Great album, but before it was released Axl should have been out there saying "this is a very different record to AFD and UYI" obviously they released Shacklers which was clearly a big left turn, and for anyone who was interested they had heard the few songs from the live shows between 99-06. One of the big head scratchers with the release was how they released the entire album on Myspace... why would they do that and still expect people to go out and buy it first week? 6 months after the release, fire it on Myspace, why not! but releasing in the same week the physical release was coming out? just crazy! 

Also... there's no guarantee GNRs management can pull off a release even half as well as Sharon Osbourne and Sabbaths label, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out and it's mishandled. The only hope for the record is if GNRs label take control alongside whoever manages Slash.

Edited by Tom2112
14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

How behind something can you be if the artist won't do interviews, release videos or go on tour? There's only so much they could do, and to be fair up to the release there was plenty of promotion for the record. It died off about a week after it came out, but I put most of that on the zero videos, interviews or shows.

That album should have been promoted with a storytellers mtv live or something. I would love to have heard the entire album played and talked through by Axl, that would have created some buzz and slowly eased people into the new sound.

Great album, but before it was released Axl should have been out there saying "this is a very different record to AFD and UYI" obviously they released Shacklers which was clearly a big left turn, and for anyone who was interested they had heard the few songs from the live shows between 99-06. One of the big head scratchers with the release was how they released the entire album on Myspace... why would they do that and still expect people to go out and buy it first week? 6 months after the release, fire it on Myspace, why not! but releasing in the same week the physical release was coming out? just crazy! 

Also... there's no guarantee GNRs management can pull off a release even half as well as Sharon Osbourne and Sabbaths label, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out and it's mishandled. The only hope for the record is if GNRs label take control alongside whoever manages Slash.

From memory (others may shoot me down) the promotion here in the UK was almost non existent!

Clearly the fallout between Axl and the label prior to the release meant he wouldn’t play ball after which is bad as ultimately he suffers too. The MySpace thing was just plain weird!

With the other two in tow the label will back it....to be honest the GNR name/brand alone means it will be a success. Not the financial success it could have been if this had all happened about 10 years earlier but still a decent one.

Edited by DTJ80
6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

From memory (others may shoot me down) the promotion here in the UK was almost non existent!

Clearly the fallout between Axl and the label prior to the release meant he wouldn’t play ball after which is bad as ultimately he suffers too. The MySpace thing was just plain weird!

With the other two in tow the label will back it....to be honest the GNR name/brand alone means it will be a success. Not the financial success it could have been if this had all happened about 10 years earlier but still a decent one.

Yeah there seemed to be nothing in the UK. I can't remember seeing anything at all. It got to number 2 in the album charts in it's first week then quickly plummeted. 

28 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It wasn't crazy in Ireland either, I think it had it's own display in HMV but I could be wrong it's been a long time since GNR released that (an) album😄

22 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah there seemed to be nothing in the UK. I can't remember seeing anything at all. It got to number 2 in the album charts in it's first week then quickly plummeted. 

I think had they sent a few songs to radio like Chinese with a radio edit cutting the intro... then they could have hung in there for another week in the top ten... they didn't and the album died a death! It was a game of chicken and nobody was really winning from the stalemate! Axl lost most because he spent 10yrs making a record that a lot of people didn't even hear.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think had they sent a few songs to radio like Chinese with a radio edit cutting the intro... then they could have hung in there for another week in the top ten... they didn't and the album died a death! It was a game of chicken and nobody was really winning from the stalemate! Axl lost most because he spent 10yrs making a record that a lot of people didn't even hear.

Good point, a few years leading up to CD, after hearing the leaks I really thought it would be the talk of the town. Poor, poor promotion. The album deserved a much better release. One inherent issue was it was released years too late, but there wasn't anything they could have done then to address that of course. I'm suprised the album did as well as it did considering.

I believe it would have done significantly better with more promo, all artwork covers, a tour to go with it (which eventually happened, for years lol) music videos, etc.  All were planned of course, including a follow-up album a few years after CD. The remix album was a weird idea, but I'd take it.

Missed opportunities, GN'R is a band of missed opportunities. 

Also, why they didn't choose Better as the main single blows my mind. Hardschool would have also worked, I'm fairly certain that song was "finished" by 2008. Perhaps would have worked too.

A good friend of mine said when they released CD as a single, he knew something was wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It wasn't crazy in Ireland either, I think it had it's own display in HMV but I could be wrong it's been a long time since GNR released that (an) album😄

There was also the issue that credibility wise they were pretty toxic. Not one 'tastemaker', anywhere, would champion them and they were regarded as something not worth bothering with (pretty sure that's still the same way....) so you almost had the perfect storm. No 'classic rock' stations/media were interested as they're so based in the past, formulaic and people that are into that sort of thing would run in horror from CD, and no more 'current' media was interested because it was GNR.

It was probably doomed anyway, so it's possible there was a calculated decision made on the promo side- why throw money at something that some people will buy anyway, and others wouldn't touch no matter what you do. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I remember seeing an advert on TV which had the beginning vocal of Scraped at the start of it and a shadow figure snake dancing and some voiceover crap about the wait being over blah blah - only saw it once. Was horrified they picked that vocal part :lol:

I heard Chinese Democracy played on Radio One a couple of times and that’s it.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

There was also the issue that credibility wise they were pretty toxic. Not one 'tastemaker', anywhere, would champion them and they were regarded as something not worth bothering with (pretty sure that's still the same way....) so you almost had the perfect storm. No 'classic rock' stations/media were interested as they're so based in the past, formulaic and people that are into that sort of thing would run in horror from CD, and no more 'current' media was interested because it was GNR.

It was probably doomed anyway, so it's possible there was a calculated decision made on the promo side- why throw money at something that some people will buy anyway, and others wouldn't touch no matter what you do. 

That last part probably sums it up closest. 

I can't believe they were considered toxic in 2009 after a well received 2006/07 tour, with marginal casualties. It's a damn shame, but it is what is! and to be honest Axl hasn't learnt a thing from the experience because he's delayed the follow up in equal (and more) amounts assuming your clock starts from 1997 onwards in the wait for Democracy. The fans have also not learnt a thing too though😄

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I agree. The LnL promotion got the whole forum excited so imagine what would happen with a new album.

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

That last part probably sums it up closest. 

I can't believe they were considered toxic in 2009 after a well received 2006/07 tour, with marginal casualties. It's a damn shame, but it is what is! and to be honest Axl hasn't learnt a thing from the experience because he's delayed the follow up in equal (and more) amounts assuming your clock starts from 1997 onwards in the wait for Democracy. The fans have also not learnt a thing too though😄

I'm not sure 2006 was recieved as well as we'd like to think. It was great, but I don't think anyone was converted to them by it really- they were still regarded poorly I reckon in general. It's probably better remembered here as we differentiate but in the mind of most there's no distinction really- it was all just the same Nu-GNR. 

It's incredible though, as you say, that the same thing seems to be happening again. I suppose the only difference (for me) is that I knew CD was at least being worked on and recorded throughout all that time, whereas now I'm less than convinced that any serious attempt at an album is occuring. 

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. The LnL promotion got the whole forum excited so imagine what would happen with a new album.

Yeah, the AFD reissue got a big push and campaign, and was done pretty well I thought. That 'radio GNR' thing was a bit bizaare, but there was a lot of attention drawn to it. 

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I remember seeing an advert on TV which had the beginning vocal of Scraped at the start of it and a shadow figure snake dancing and some voiceover crap about the wait being over blah blah - only saw it once. Was horrified they picked that vocal part :lol:

I heard Chinese Democracy played on Radio One a couple of times and that’s it.

Crikey - I’ve never heard/seen that advert?! Why oh why choose THAT vocal part...😖

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not sure 2006 was recieved as well as we'd like to think. It was great, but I don't think anyone was converted to them by it really- they were still regarded poorly I reckon in general. It's probably better remembered here as we differentiate but in the mind of most there's no distinction really- it was all just the same Nu-GNR. 

It's incredible though, as you say, that the same thing seems to be happening again. I suppose the only difference (for me) is that I knew CD was at least being worked on and recorded throughout all that time, whereas now I'm less than convinced that any serious attempt at an album is occuring. 

Oh I know there's the rose tinted glasses idea of 2006 looking back because the band and Axl sounded great! but what I mean is that they were going around playing big shows and and for the most part people were leaving satisfied. I know I left that show in 2006 and thought, god damn when are they releasing their new album so I can see this again!! I was about 15 or 16 at the time! 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, the AFD reissue got a big push and campaign, and was done pretty well I thought. That 'radio GNR' thing was a bit bizaare, but there was a lot of attention drawn to it. 

Out of likes but yes, they got everyone's attention. It was pretty exciting for a little while.