The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, allwaystired said:

I'd say they are already Arena level really (taking aside the really strange choice to move back to stadiums after several Arena runs in the US of course). I can certainly see them doing Theatres.....but with incredibly high prices to soften the blow! 

Agree. But then with the majority of the world economy tryjng to get back to normal the high price for theatre tickets could very much backfire with lack of attendance. I think people will see what the setlist is after the first or second show, and make up there minds very quickly!.

• Like 1

Just now, allwaystired said:

Yeah - I don't think their fanbase really want anything different from them really! They'd probably hate it if they tried anything different! 

Black In Black 

ACDC Live 

They're basically the two albums you need in my view! I have Rock Or Bust too, because it was in the bargain bin, the CD cover was cool, and I was going to the tour. 

Incredibly they've never released a Greatest Hits! 

Id add HTH as well, at least for the Bon background. I dont know if the band ever would release a greatest hits, im surprised they havnt or gone on the record that its not a product they are interested in. In terms of a play list for a greatest hits it would be extremely difficult.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Id add HTH as well, at least for the Bon background. I dont know if the band ever would release a greatest hits, im surprised they havnt or gone on the record that its not a product they are interested in. In terms of a play list for a greatest hits it would be extremely difficult.

Yeah, HTH or For Those About To Rock are both pretty good. I'm being a bit cynical really saying you only need one studio and one live album! 

At a bored moment once I did count up how many of their song titles had featured the words "ball/s" or "rock". I can't remember now exactly what it was, but it was very high! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah - I don't think their fanbase really want anything different from them really! They'd probably hate it if they tried anything different! 

Black In Black 

ACDC Live 

They're basically the two albums you need in my view! I have Rock Or Bust too, because it was in the bargain bin, the CD cover was cool, and I was going to the tour. 

Incredibly they've never released a Greatest Hits! 

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Funnily enough - I have an Iron Man 2 / AC/DC hardback book which has a CD of AC/DC songs. Not a Greatest Hits but a compilation of sorts. Which is still pretty rare for them to do.

Did you think?! I thought it sounded identical to everything they've ever done but a little slower! 

I suppose that's what AC/DC have always done really though. You buy one album and you've got the general idea! 

I never understand this argument?  It sounds like AC/DC music, so it sounds awesome to me.  No one wants/expects these HUGE bands to do something different.  Compared to new GNR music, which has no sound.  Fans want music that sounds like their favorite band.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I am so bored of this band now.

Me too

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think ACDC are really going to be promoting this majorly. They will be everywhere with this new release. Good on them. GNR could have released at least one single or a mini EP until we get an album. But nooooooooo..

This may end up being their last album ever. I agree though that GnR has really dropped the ball here though. Even just one song with a release date for more would've been a big deal.

3 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

who doesnt care whats going on in the world?  I must have missed those post

It was Fernados retarded explanation  for why an album or, even more lamely, a YouTube upload couldn’t possibly come out.

• Like 2

Donald Trump? 

I think he means Bon Jovi.

More on topic: at this point the band should just pull a Billy Joel and publicly admit that they’re just a nostalgia act now and that new music is never coming.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

I never understand this argument?  It sounds like AC/DC music, so it sounds awesome to me.  No one wants/expects these HUGE bands to do something different.  Compared to new GNR music, which has no sound.  Fans want music that sounds like their favorite band.  

Well, personally I prefer my bands/musicians to develop their sound somewhat over the years, otherwise I feel like I'm stuck in groundhog day..... but each to their own.  I think a lot of people feel like me. 

A lot of people aren't keen on change though. Hence nostalgia being so popular. 

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Funnily enough - I have an Iron Man 2 / AC/DC hardback book which has a CD of AC/DC songs. Not a Greatest Hits but a compilation of sorts. Which is still pretty rare for them to do.

The inclusion of ACDC on the Iron Man 2 soundtrack was a genius marketing move. Managed to get their music into a totally new generation of fans. Obviously they didn't know how big Marvel films would get but even so, smart licensing of their catalogue is something GNR need to learn.

GNR really need to either get their songs attached to a successful film/Netflix series or they need to produce a 'The Dirt' style biopic. 

Neither of which they will do.

2 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

Agreed. ACDC's charm is their simplicity.

Band's should take what their fans want to hear into account, at least somewhat. Anyone can make music no one wants to hear. 

50 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Well, personally I prefer my bands/musicians to develop their sound somewhat over the years, otherwise I feel like I'm stuck in groundhog day..... but each to their own.  I think a lot of people feel like me. 

A lot of people aren't keen on change though. Hence nostalgia being so popular. 

Depends on the band. There's a couple of bands for which it just works to always sound the same. Motörhead, Ramones, AC/DC for example. GnR was never one of those bands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think he means Bon Jovi.

More on topic: at this point the band should just pull a Billy Joel and publicly admit that they’re just a nostalgia act now and that new music is never coming.

I mentioned this on another thread. I’d accept It if that’s what they wanted to do - at least a lot of the bad feeling which just grows and grows due to the implication they are working on stuff would go away.

FWIW - they would be utterly wrong if they think for whatever reason their new stuff isn’t worth releasing. Just the Village Leaks alone proves the quality is there - and that’s not even factoring in stuff that was worked on before the reunion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Depends on the band. There's a couple of bands for which it just works to always sound the same. Motörhead, Ramones, AC/DC for example. GnR was never one of those bands. 

Yeah, that's one of the reasons GNR stand head and shoulders above those other bands for me. Their development. Which is one of the reasons I find it so utterly fucking frustrating that they won't continue that and continually sell themselves short. They were built on progression and development, yet seem to have totally hit the skids with it. I'd love them to release an album that totally alienated all the bores that want a repeat of the 1980s or AFD. That to me would be fucking brilliant. I've always admired artists who have done that in their careers. 

I like all those bands listed.....but I'm happy with one or two of their albums (or a Greatest Hits) because their style is so limited. So yeah, I guess it does depend on the band, but it also depends on the listener. I'm really not going to bother buying all the albums from a band whose sound never changes or grows. 

You know, good luck to AC/DC, but a new album which sounds indistinguishable to albums they made 20 or so years ago really isn't going to do it for me! I like a bit of change and progress to my art in general otherwise I just find it boring. 

10 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I mentioned this on another thread. I’d accept It if that’s what they wanted to do - at least a lot of the bad feeling which just grows and grows due to the implication they are working on stuff would go away.

FWIW - they would be utterly wrong if they think for whatever reason their new stuff isn’t worth releasing. Just the Village Leaks alone proves the quality is there - and that’s not even factoring in stuff that was worked on before the reunion.

Absolutely agree. I'd even advocate for a release of Eye On You, just to really shut people up. Something totally out there and unacceptable to many people......which is EXACTLY what they always were. 

36 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

But Guns never really took the challenge in the first place when you think about it. How many albums have Motörhead or ACDC or Springsteen released? Of course you get more same sounding stuff the more you put out. 

Well......yeah, that's a good point! Can't really argue with that one. If they'd released more, then perhaps I wouldn't regard them so well? Who knows. 

It's a bit like the Cobain/Lennon/Hendrix thing - easy to think of them as unassailable musical icons,.....but if they'd got older and gone on to make shitty or dull music that repeated their past, people would probably have viewed them totally differently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

If you have a huge catalogue nostalgia is ok.....not the case with GNR

also, why believe they worked on stuff before the reunion? I’m not buying it

Quantity has nothing to do with it imo.

Despite having only a handful of albums, there was enough hits and fan favorites there full up a full set and keep the casuals happy up until this past year.

Its only now that we are starting to see the casuals getting fed up with the same old shit. Hopefully that means the band will finally listen (doubt it, though).

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Me too

This may end up being their last album ever. I agree though that GnR has really dropped the ball here though. Even just one song with a release date for more would've been a big deal.

100% agree - with almost minimum effort they could have really caused a big wave of publicity......total waste of an opportunity that COVID presented itself with. 🙄

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Subsequent releases don't take away from past ones. Nobody is going to question "Exile on Main St." because of "Dirty Work"

I agree. It's like when people say remakes or sequels of films ruin the originals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I agree. It's like when people say remakes or sequels of films ruin the originals.

Exactly. Axl needs to get out of his own head and just release some fucking music. 

• Like 1