The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

24 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think you're probably right.....although sales were poor don't forget, especially for the American shows, possibly for Europe too. I can't really see why the Europe leg was cut down so massively if it wasn't for sales. 

It could go either way really. When prices are as high as they are, people tend to prioritise what they can and can't afford. 

That's true, and we are at the early stage of a recession so who knows what things will look like in 2021 and 2022. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Might as well bust this out again:

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

And post-COVID it will be even worse as people will be looking after every penny and many will also unfortunately be unemployed. Going to see GNR (and a potentially generic GNR show if similar to NITL) will not be an attractive situation. Case in point - my mate wasn’t willing to pay big money see GNR in Glasgow because he saw them at Donington in 2018 and it’s ‘effectively the same setlist’ and he is a big GNR fan.

A tour supporting a new release/UYI-centric setlist would go a long way to enticing folk to buy a ticket and even then that’s only if they can afford it.

Even during the recession of 2007 to... well present day, people were still buying tickets to gigs, if anything concert tickets and sales went up during that time. 

There are definitely a lot of people like your friend, but there are still loads more who don't pay that kind of attention to set-lists / don't care - they just want to hear the hit songs and have a good time. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Even during the recession of 2007 to... well present day, people were still buying tickets to gigs, if anything concert tickets and sales went up during that time. 

There are definitely a lot of people like your friend, but there are still loads more who don't pay that kind of attention to set-lists / don't care - they just want to hear the hit songs and have a good time. 

True enough. I think there will still be a big demand (average age of fan base being that bit older and potentially having more disposable income) but there will be a hit for sure. Some people will need a bit of extra enticing to brave going into a concert situation with COVID about. If there are new songs then that would tip the balance of those ‘on the fence’. Folk who can’t miss out on hearing those new songs....

Some new material would REALLY help them (and us)! 😂

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

True enough. I think there will still be a big demand (average age of fan base being that bit older and potentially having more disposable income) but there will be a hit for sure. Some people will need a bit of extra enticing to brave going into a concert situation with COVID about. If there are new songs then that would tip the balance of those ‘on the fence’. Folk who can’t miss out on hearing those new songs....

Some new material would REALLY help them (and us)! 😂

Yeah, there will be a bit of a drop off for sure, at least in the beginning. For me and how I feel about GNR, I'd need to be enticed to go back... outside of there not being any shows for the next 2-3yrs, I can't see myself being desperate enough for a gig that I'd go to another NITL show. New music and I'm there. 

14 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I am so bored of this band now.

Me too. Thank fuck we still have bands that are actually making new music right now (ACDC, RHCP, etc.).

Edited by rocknroll41

All this waiting with no concrete evidence (a snippet or something) is becoming tedious - and I have been one of the most positive folk on here. I still think we will get something but the wait is bloody excruciating.

Made 100x worse by the fact that AC/DC are clearly in promo mode and that 30-sec snippet just released has sent the fans into meltdown (sounds really good TBF).

😤 FUCKING HELL!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

All this waiting with no concrete evidence (a snippet or something) is becoming tedious - and I have been one of the most positive folk on here. I still think we will get something but the wait is bloody excruciating.

Made 100x worse by the fact that AC/DC are clearly in promo mode and that 30-sec snippet just released has sent the fans into meltdown (sounds really good TBF).

😤 FUCKING HELL!!!!

Did you think?! I thought it sounded identical to everything they've ever done but a little slower! 

I suppose that's what AC/DC have always done really though. You buy one album and you've got the general idea! 

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Did you think?! I thought it sounded identical to everything they've ever done but a little slower! 

I suppose that's what AC/DC have always done really though. You buy one album and you've got the general idea! 

Based on the small snippet it sounded good. I’m not a big AC/DC fan and prefer the stuff up to around ‘For Those....’ but it SOUNDS like AC/DC which is what you expect. And there is something reassuring about that these days. Again - based on 30 seconds of a YouTube video - production sounded a bit better than Rock Or Bust....

😭 GNR......get a grip and give us something FFS!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

The 'inflatable guitar and novelty bandana' casuals can say what they like though really. The only thing that will bring change is if the band stop making money. 

That could of course happen. 

Or the band go from stadiums to arenas to theatres extremely quickly!.

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Based on the small snippet it sounded good. I’m not a big AC/DC fan and prefer the stuff up to around ‘For Those....’ but it SOUNDS like AC/DC which is what you expect. And there is something reassuring about that these days. Again - based on 30 seconds of a YouTube video - production sounded a bit better than Rock Or Bust....

I was reading GNR facebook around the bands greatest hits and those that responded wernt very kind. Basically new music and rightfully so. Even the casuals have had enough.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Or the band go from stadiums to arenas to theatres extremely quickly!.

I'd say they are already Arena level really (taking aside the really strange choice to move back to stadiums after several Arena runs in the US of course). I can certainly see them doing Theatres.....but with incredibly high prices to soften the blow! 

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

😤 FUCKING HELL!!!!

I think ACDC are really going to be promoting this majorly. They will be everywhere with this new release. Good on them. GNR could have released at least one single or a mini EP until we get an album. But nooooooooo..

12 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I don't think their fanbase really want anything different from them really! They'd probably hate it if they tried anything different! 

Black In Black 

ACDC Live 

They're basically the two albums you need in my view! I have Rock Or Bust too, because it was in the bargain bin, the CD cover was cool, and I was going to the tour. 

Incredibly they've never released a Greatest Hits! 

Just now, allwaystired said:

I'd say they are already Arena level really (taking aside the really strange choice to move back to stadiums after several Arena runs in the US of course). I can certainly see them doing Theatres.....but with incredibly high prices to soften the blow! 

Agree. But then with the majority of the world economy tryjng to get back to normal the high price for theatre tickets could very much backfire with lack of attendance. I think people will see what the setlist is after the first or second show, and make up there minds very quickly!.

• Like 1
Just now, allwaystired said:

Yeah - I don't think their fanbase really want anything different from them really! They'd probably hate it if they tried anything different! 

Black In Black 

ACDC Live 

They're basically the two albums you need in my view! I have Rock Or Bust too, because it was in the bargain bin, the CD cover was cool, and I was going to the tour. 

Id add HTH as well, at least for the Bon background. I dont know if the band ever would release a greatest hits, im surprised they havnt or gone on the record that its not a product they are interested in. In terms of a play list for a greatest hits it would be extremely difficult.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Id add HTH as well, at least for the Bon background. I dont know if the band ever would release a greatest hits, im surprised they havnt or gone on the record that its not a product they are interested in. In terms of a play list for a greatest hits it would be extremely difficult.

Yeah, HTH or For Those About To Rock are both pretty good. I'm being a bit cynical really saying you only need one studio and one live album! 

At a bored moment once I did count up how many of their song titles had featured the words "ball/s" or "rock". I can't remember now exactly what it was, but it was very high! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Black In Black 

ACDC Live 

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Funnily enough - I have an Iron Man 2 / AC/DC hardback book which has a CD of AC/DC songs. Not a Greatest Hits but a compilation of sorts. Which is still pretty rare for them to do.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I never understand this argument?  It sounds like AC/DC music, so it sounds awesome to me.  No one wants/expects these HUGE bands to do something different.  Compared to new GNR music, which has no sound.  Fans want music that sounds like their favorite band.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I am so bored of this band now.

Me too

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think ACDC are really going to be promoting this majorly. They will be everywhere with this new release. Good on them. GNR could have released at least one single or a mini EP until we get an album. But nooooooooo..

This may end up being their last album ever. I agree though that GnR has really dropped the ball here though. Even just one song with a release date for more would've been a big deal.

Slash and Duff will end up using their material for their own projects again, but this time Axl won't care. 

They'll fit in Yesterdays or Perfect Crime when they resume touring next year. 

No new album. 

• Like 1