The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

5 hours ago, JimiRose said:

It's embarrassing that Slash is going to release his second solo album, duff has a solo album, dizzy has a solo album, even ferrer has a fucking album ALL since this version of GnR reunited. And still there is no new album, no sniff of an update about where it's at and no release date. Creatively GnR are a spent force. It's a shame, coz I was listening to state of grace today and thinking, wow a slash solo between the final verse and the screamed outro would be incredible. Instead we're going to get generic cock rock from smkc and radio silence from GnR. 

It's at the point now, where even if GnR did release an album, we'd get no music video. No axl interview. No special events to attend for the release day and bare minimum radio play. It's just a nothing band now. 

I could get behind that statement if we actually had something to compare against. If they released a single that was plain shite then yeah - you’d worry that as a creative unit they are finished.....but we can’t make that call until we hear something. I really wish we had something to bloody listen to. 😖

10 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I could get behind that statement if we actually had something to compare against. If they released a single that was plain shite then yeah - you’d worry that as a creative unit they are finished.....but we can’t make that call until we hear something. I really wish we had something to bloody listen to. 😖

Sadly it's purely in relation to the fact there is nothing released. I'd rather have a bad album and be able to say, at least we heard it, it wasn't up to scratch, let's move on and celebrate what we had before. But having heard hardschool, atlas, state of grace, the general, perhaps etc we know there is some at least semi decent stuff just sitting there gathering dust. That's almost worse. They might not release a song as good as jungle or NR, but who cares. Songs half as good as those would still be great songs!

15 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Sadly it's purely in relation to the fact there is nothing released. I'd rather have a bad album and be able to say, at least we heard it, it wasn't up to scratch, let's move on and celebrate what we had before. But having heard hardschool, atlas, state of grace, the general, perhaps etc we know there is some at least semi decent stuff just sitting there gathering dust. That's almost worse. They might not release a song as good as jungle or NR, but who cares. Songs half as good as those would still be great songs!

Yup - the fact we know there is material in the bank (and there is some good stuff there) it’s all the more irritating we are still bloody waiting.

17 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

If the existing band released a re-worked Silkworms as the first single, we would know they are truly fucked.

Sadly, I'd still welcome the above over Shadow Of Your Love. lol

You don’t like SOYL?

I'm really really intrigued to see what people say when/if they resume touring and no new material gets released.

The lack of touring seems to be the only reason anyone gives for there being nothing new now.

At this point even the most wildly optimistic are going to be super pissed off if they tour again and there isn't anything.

Edited by allwaystired

you know what's sad?  I've been a GNR fan since 93 and have had exactly ONE album of new music by "GNR" in the last 27 years.  I dont demand a new album because I honestly dont expect one.  I think my head would explode if Axl and Slash ever put out a new album.  lol

in all honestly I'd rather have a tour of the AFD5 over a new album.  but I guess the chances of that are even less than a new album so I wont get my hopes up over that one either

would be nice if  they could just release something for the fans who "stuck with them through all the fucking shit" .  But I dont have my hopes up and am past the point where it makes a difference in my life one way or the other

Maybe the line was supposed to be " to the fans who keep buying our fucking shit"?

On 10/18/2020 at 2:29 AM, Ralphelmo said:

"Back in LA working on early days of Conspirators IV. C4? CIV? SMKCIV? SMKC4? Skeleton crew in the magic factory. I'm as stoked as you are." - Todd Kerns

Can feel yet more delay on new GNR album :p 

Looking forward to it!

On 10/18/2020 at 5:38 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

How ridiculous if Slash manages to release TWO studio albums after the GNR reunion. It just really shows how either nothing is happening, or Axl is really insecure about his music

Can't really get excited for new SMKC at this point. As much as I like SMKC, we all know what their new album will sound like, like all before them, and I think LTD was downhill from AL and WOF, so who knows if it would even measure up. I think it really is Slashs "side" thing now since the reunion where he doesn't put in his best ideas, just something that will be like "fuck it this'll do", just to tour. GNR album is way more interesting in what it would be and where Slash puts in the work, and then it will just never come out due to Axl taking ages chasing some "masterpiece" album he will never achieve or be happy with.

No Slash definitely cares about what he records for SMKC; it's not throwaway material. I would take it a step further and say that SMKC is his main creative outlet and he views GnR as his day gig (remember what Matt said in his book?) where he plays the same hits every night. Of course now he's worked on some material for GnR too but I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, they're just different.

21 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

I just wanna say fuck todd kerns. Don't know why but it feels right saying it. Also fuck axl. 

It's not Todd's fault that there's no new GnR album, he just comes over when Slash calls him. If anything Todd is a great example of how to stay busy and productive during this time.

As far as Todd's post goes, that release date isn't set in stone until Slash makes an official statement announcing the new album. So far it's just been Slash and Todd going over ideas. My guess is that they might do a similar schedule as 2018 where they started working on everything with the other guys in January, with the release in the fall. As far as GnR goes, it seems like they don't plan to do anything until touring resumes (even though they could've released something this summer).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Looking forward to it!

No Slash definitely cares about what he records for SMKC; it's not throwaway material. I would take it a step further and say that SMKC is his main creative outlet and he views GnR as his day gig (remember what Matt said in his book?) where he plays the same hits every night. Of course now he's worked on some material for GnR too but I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, they're just different.

I don't get why you're bringing live gigs into this. I'm talking about what he records for GNR vs what he uses for SMKC. You can't tell me Slash will be using his best ideas for SMKC and not GNR. Especially since he said several times studio albums are just an excuse to tour for him. Way different for Axl and GNR, obviously.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't get why you're bringing live gigs into this. I'm talking about what he records for GNR vs what he uses for SMKC. You can't tell me Slash will be using his best ideas for SMKC and not GNR. Especially since he said several times studio albums are just an excuse to tour for him. Way different for Axl and GNR, obviously.

But his ideas for SMKC will definitely get released. If they say an album is coming in 2021, it WILL be released in 2021. 

I'm not sure I'd put my best work into something I thought had little chance of seeing the light of day. I mean, he might well be, but we'll likely never get the chance to find out. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I disagree. Why would he waste his best riffs on Axl's band? The dude has released 1 album of original material since the Illusions in 1991.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I disagree. Why would he waste his best riffs on Axl's band? The dude has released 1 album of original material since the Illusions in 1991.

It's just as much his band as Axls. Maybe not contractually, but in the eyes of history and fans. Who cares what Slash shits out with SMKC, GNRs legacy is way bigger and he doesn't want to tarnish it either I bet.

He doesn't "waste" his riffs, if Axl doesn't release it for some reason and Slash sees that it will never come out, he can always take it back just like with the first Snakepit album. But I don't see that happening.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's just as much his band as Axls. Maybe not contractually, but in the eyes of history and fans. Who cares what Slash shits out with SMKC, GNRs legacy is way bigger and he doesn't want to tarnish it either I bet.

He doesn't "waste" his riffs, if Axl doesn't release it for some reason and Slash sees that it will never come out, he can always take it back just like with the first Snakepit album. But I don't see that happening.

It's pretty clear though that Slash has very little say in what goes on. If he did, there's no way GNR would be operating as they do, as one look at his solo career suggests.

SMKC isn't to your liking, which is totally fair enough, but to say 'who cares' is way off the mark. The albums always sell well.

Why would he put his name to stuff he 'shits out' as you say and leave better stuff in the dustbin of history that is any and every idea anyone has come up with for GNR in the past decade or so? 

• Like 2

Tibetan monks often create Mandalas only to immediately erase them after completely the arduous process of piping on each piece of coloured sand. I wonder if we can understand Axls creative process in comparision to the Tibetan Mandalas?

Its not that the meaning of the mandala and the process of making arent important - they are deeply important to the monks - but its not intended for posterity. Perhaps Axl enjoys the process of making a big, fuck-off, Guns album. But thats all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just like Axl didn’t waste Buckethead riffs? 

14 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I brought up touring because Fernando said they wouldn't release anything until they could tour behind it, and it seems like that's still the plan since they haven't done anything this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mattromero said:

maybe we should start spaming every gnr social media account with the smae message until they hear us and give us a official update at least!

Listen to Slash's Eddie Trunk September 2019 interview, or Fernando's Discord chat, they sound like literal hostages when asked for specifics on new music. We will get nothing more than these empty statements from Slash/ Fortus on "throwing ideas around" and "jamming".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I brought up touring because Fernando said they wouldn't release anything until they could tour behind it, and it seems like that's still the plan since they haven't done anything this year.

fernando and axl are incredible strategists :P

perfect timing to decide to put out a new album and plan a new tour.

why dind't they move their asses  in 2017/2018?

the train passed and now it's late.

and I'm delighted.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

fernando and axl are incredible strategists :P

perfect timing to decide to put out a new album and plan a new tour.

why dind't they move their asses  in 2017/2018?

the train passed and now it's late.

and I'm delighted.

They really should have got an album together before going on the NITL tour, or at the latest in 2017/2018 to maintain momentum. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

They really should have got an album together before going on the NITL tour, or at the latest in 2017/2018 to maintain momentum. 

It’s not like they don’t have plenty of material between Axl’s unreleased NuGnR and Slash and Duff who are machines when it comes to producing new music. 

As always with this band, the questions of what if...