The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

On 10/27/2020 at 5:27 AM, DTJ80 said:

Interesting article on BBC today which says Taylor Swift is the first artist to sell over a million copies of an album in 2020 in the US. And was the only artist in 2019......I knew physical sales had crumbled but not to that extent?!?! And these have been given a boost already with loads of signed copies being made available.

Maybe a slightly different demographic I guess (Swift fans probably consume music via streaming I’d guess) and a properly promoted new GNR album would shift some units (us old folk ‘like to have the music in our hands and read the linear notes’...😂) but the numbers would still be lower than I would have originally thought.

Iirc Swifts recent, folklore, was the first time that she had streaming (along with deluxe cd and vinyl packages) available on its own first. The standard CD was only released a few weeks later.

She does really well with physical copies and has traditionally really leaned into that. One can speculate that her success in cds is in part due to her origins in country music, whose fans buy the most CDs. But also the diary style lyrics.

Folklore was a surprise release when it hit streaming. Likely many Swifties opted to buy the entire digital album the day of the surprise drop, with many also later buying the physical album.

but the initial few weeks of streaming (combined with lock downs and general caution) likely cut into her cd sales.

I think Guns could at least match  it, they’d just need way more of a roll out.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Iirc Swifts recent, folklore, was the first time that she had streaming (along with deluxe cd and vinyl packages) available on its own first. The standard CD was only released a few weeks later.

She does really well with physical copies and has traditionally really leaned into that. One can speculate that her success in cds is in part due to her origins in country music, whose fans buy the most CDs. But also the diary style lyrics.

Folklore was a surprise release when it hit streaming. Likely many Swifties opted to buy the entire digital album the day of the surprise drop, with many also later buying the physical album.

but the initial few weeks of streaming (combined with lock downs and general caution) likely cut into her cd sales.

Yeah - GNR could (and will.....I’m still sure of it...😂) deffo shift some numbers. It just boggles my mind that only Swift can break that million barrier....changed days indeed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tony adler said:

Gnr official Instagram says “ stay ready”, probably nothing but one could hope 💽

2020 would be a killer release year for an album. It just has a good ring to it, everything else being equal. (Obviously it was a bad year for other reasons)

Wonder how GNAIR is doing? 

That truly was one of the strangest moments of recent years- pilot badges and shirts for a fake airline! Imagine trying to explain that to someone who asked why you were wearing a big pair of aviators with 'GNAIR' on the side!

Bonkers. Merchandises based around a pinball game is sane in comparison to that. 

• Haha 3

On 10/27/2020 at 2:27 AM, DTJ80 said:

Interesting article on BBC today which says Taylor Swift is the first artist to sell over a million copies of an album in 2020 in the US. And was the only artist in 2019......I knew physical sales had crumbled but not to that extent?!?! And these have been given a boost already with loads of signed copies being made available.

Maybe a slightly different demographic I guess (Swift fans probably consume music via streaming I’d guess) and a properly promoted new GNR album would shift some units (us old folk ‘like to have the music in our hands and read the linear notes’...😂) but the numbers would still be lower than I would have originally thought.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:16 PM, soon said:

There were also some bonus tracks on that album that were only available on the physical release, so that increased sales also.

47 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

There's something very sad about a fully grown man printing this off after typing it on ms word and taking a photo of it. I can understand maybe a teen doing it fir a younger band but this was probably done by someone in his 50s. Cringey.

It's absolutely pathetic. 

And people must have been born yesterday if they think it's genuine. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

OMG2 being on the next album is not out of the question. 

I mean - I know it was rumoured for CD2  and hope it IS on there but I’d be expecting to see Slash/McKagan on the credits too as I’d expect there would be some input into its final form particularly given that it was apparently soundchecked so probably had bits reworked there?

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I mean - I know it was rumoured for CD2  and hope it IS on there but I’d be expecting to see Slash/McKagan on the credits too as I’d expect there would be some input into its final form particularly given that it was apparently soundchecked so probably had bits reworked there?

Maybe, it's possible (if anything) they would only play on the song and have no other input to justify a writing credit.