The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

11 minutes ago, soon said:

Around 9min, Duff says "If youve got a shitty drummer, youve got a shitty band."

Yep :lol:

I must admit I did laugh at that - purely because of his rep on here. I must admit I don’t think he is as bad as what people say.....although curiously I think he was better pre-reunion?!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I must admit I did laugh at that - purely because of his rep on here. I must admit I don’t think he is as bad as what people say.....although curiously I think he was better pre-reunion?!

Interesting you say this, I'm not a fan of him at all during the reunion but the other day I was listening to 2010-2012 GNR concerts and was shocked about how well he fit on those songs. I'm not sure if its because slash and duff weren't there and their tones are more GNR and original (obviously) and this makes his stick out like a sore thumb now, or if he's doing something different with his drum tunings, mic set ups, or drum sizes/wood construction. There's just something about his drums that were better sounding then than now. 

UPDATE: he use to use pork pie drums and Zildjian cymbals. He now uses DW Drums and Sabian cymbals. So this could be part of it. not sure if the sizes and or the wood construction changed but the brands certainly did and that contributes to the sound

Edited by Gunsdrummer63
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Interesting you say this, I'm not a fan of him at all during the reunion but the other day I was listening to 2010-2012 GNR concerts and was shocked about how well he fit on those songs. I'm not sure if its because slash and duff weren't there and their tones are more GNR and original (obviously) and this makes his stick out like a sore thumb now, or if he's doing something different with his drum tunings, mic set ups, or drum sizes/wood construction. There's just something about his drums that were better sounding then than now. 

UPDATE: he use to use pork pie drums and Zildjian cymbals. He now uses DW Drums and Sabian cymbals. So this could be part of it. not sure if the sizes and or the wood construction changed but the brands certainly did and that contributes to the sound

That’s interesting. I dunno - like you I was listening to stuff pre-reunion 09-12 and he sounded bang on the money. Not just tonally but also ‘locked in’ better?

57 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I agree he sounded tighter pre-reunion. Also, I think he was playing a bit better in 2019 too. Sucks for him that many of us - myself included - had stopped watching every single show by then. But Ive heard him not fuck up Estrangeds snare part and keep tempo for the outro of Witchita. So kudos to him.

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

LA is in a new lockdown. 

How this will make the album more difficult?

Perhaps all the execs will enjoy staying home and not working much. And then they will develop a greater appreciation for Axls approach to life. lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Just listened. Fuck, what an annoying interview. He asks Duff stuff, but then cuts him off before he answers. He asks him about GN’R at the end, but then cuts Duff off from actually answering, because he’s scared of being allowed to ask him about that... So fucken dumb :facepalm:

11 hours ago, Dean said:

I think he cuts him off because he knows he's entered no go territory. Duff seemed a bit awkward too when he asked. Duff always seems incredibly happy at being back with these guys, which makes me appreciate the whole ordeal from their perspective - it must be a trip considering all of the bullshit of the last two decades but they got through it all and toured the world multiple times. Time to get a record out though and hopefully once it does get out, the floodgates will open.

Remember also that this isn't meant to be a formal interview, it's just 2 buddies talking together. It's not structured like a question answer interview.

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

That’s interesting. I dunno - like you I was listening to stuff pre-reunion 09-12 and he sounded bang on the money. Not just tonally but also ‘locked in’ better?

Ill give him the kudos for not fucking up locomotive. But in terms of skill him and sorum seem miles apart. I just wonder if he feels more pressure on himself because of duff and slash. The previous members of nuguns didnt have the same status in the music community as slash. In nuguns the only person frank had to please was axl, but now there are extra bosses to please , duff and slash.So maybe frank just feels more internal  pressure.

My issues though is that he would do things on the kit that wernt needed or required.  An extra cymbal hit that just isnt required. Just stick to how it sounds on the record. 

12 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Ill give him the kudos for not fucking up locomotive. But in terms of skill him and sorum seem miles apart. I just wonder if he feels more pressure on himself because of duff and slash. The previous members of nuguns didnt have the same status in the music community as slash. In nuguns the only person frank had to please was axl, but now there are extra bosses to please , duff and slash.So maybe frank just feels more internal  pressure.

My issues though is that he would do things on the kit that wernt needed or required.  An extra cymbal hit that just isnt required. Just stick to how it sounds on the record. 

I must admit that I can’t think of too many changes that I’ve noticed - he does do something odd at the start of Paradise City which sounds weird - misses a snare hit or something.

Im all for Iconic songs being faithful to the source material....although I do get why some folk would want to change it from time to time too - ‘just to freshen it up’.

Re Sorum - I think a lot of people forget how good a drummer he is because of all the attention his ‘ego’ gets.

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

A lot of those songs aren't even that hard to play, but the feel is important and not everyone can nail that (Steven's swing etc). 

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Re Sorum - I think a lot of people forget how good a drummer he is because of all the attention his ‘ego’ gets.

I agree. Very solid and tasteful.

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Remember also that this isn't meant to be a formal interview, it's just 2 buddies talking together. It's not structured like a question answer interview.

Fair enough, but you’d think when you ask someone something, you wouldn’t talk over them when they’re trying to answer you....?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kever20 said:

Dunsford says, "more to come" with regards to leaks... And that this is a studio pic from 2019... https://ibb.co/cy0KPnX

You never know, but in the world of GNR, the reasonable stuff rarely happens, and the absolute batshit stuff, like locker leaks, does...

He better watch out, now that he's on TB's radar.

7 hours ago, kever20 said:

Dunsford says, "more to come" with regards to leaks... And that this is a studio pic from 2019... https://ibb.co/cy0KPnX

You never know, but in the world of GNR, the reasonable stuff rarely happens, and the absolute batshit stuff, like locker leaks, does...

That picture is most likely a rehearsal room picture - we know they do that before your legs, but without Axl. 

Here's hoping we get some sort of leak then! Would be a good end to the worst year I've lived through! 

33 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I don't care what Dunsford has to say anymore. He's annoying, and he has already had his 15 minutes of fame. It's better if he just goes away quietly, to be honest.

No doubt he wants another 15 minutes. I feel bad for whomever he screws over next. TB went easy on him. He will get what he has coming, then again maybe he won’t. It looks bad when simpletons are ravaged by the legal system as a result of their shortsightedness or misfortunes.

• Like 1