The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

On 12/9/2020 at 10:26 PM, metallex78 said:

It’s from 1996 or 97, Matt Sorum released an instructional drumming home video, and this was his example of how bands work on songs together.

Ah cheers! At first I thought VR but Matt's hair is so mid to late 90s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

21F311A3-C772-41AC-861E-0461CDCDEE61.jpeg.2e05e3eff250e224e57b2bd1f1053e7c.jpeg

Artists nowadays and from centuries ago - absolutely no respect for this global pandemic.

Yes, same Chris Cornell, now he release his cover album( Patience cover too). I never imagined as disrepectful would be Chris Cornell.....:D

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, agustingloger said:

I just Heard the leaks for the very first time and i loved Hardschool Big time . I really don't know why Axl didn't include it on Chinese. Is way better than most of the songs of it. I Guess it's an obvious choice if sometime they release a new one

Yeah, they sound-tested "Hard School" prior to their very last shows this year in Mexico (Axl too). Someone leaked a snippet of it. It actually seems like they were thinking about eventually, maybe, potentially, including it in the actual live set.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2020 at 5:07 PM, agustingloger said:

I just Heard the leaks for the very first time and i loved Hardschool Big time . I really don't know why Axl didn't include it on Chinese. Is way better than most of the songs of it. I Guess it's an obvious choice if sometime they release a new one

My own theory is that Hard School came from the 94-96 session. The song structure is classic GNR. I don't think Nu-GNR worked on it. Also Hard School was once known as Jackie Chan. In a 1997 interview, Duff alluded to the Jackie Chan song when he was still in GNR at the time. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Draguns said:

My own theory is that Hard School came from the 94-96 session. The song structure is classic GNR. I don't think Nu-GNR worked on it. Also Hard School was once known as Jackie Chan. In a 1997 interview, Duff alluded to the Jackie Chan song when he was still in GNR at the time. 

I tried to figure out what Jackie Chan movie was it for. Seems to be Mr. Nice Guy, the one where he fights one of my favorite Martial Artists- Richard Norton :) Anyway, I do agree that Duff was talking about Hard School (in a Howard Stern interview) , it only makes sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Draguns said:

Makes sense. Totally rocks

I finally gave in and just listened to Hard School.. Sounds just as bad or mediocre as all the other Chinese Democracy songs.. Starting with Axl's voice... The rest of it doesn't sound anything like classic Guns N' Roses.. People are reaching...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I finally gave in and just listened to Hard School.. Sounds just as bad or mediocre as all the other Chinese Democracy songs.. Starting with Axl's voice... The rest of it doesn't sound anything like classic Guns N' Roses.. People are reaching...

Not reaching at all. Listen to the tempo and how the song is structured. It's similar to You Could Be Mine and Don't Damn Me.  I seriously doubt it came from the Nu-GNR. Again, Duff did mention this song. It's probably one of the songs they were working on in 94-96.  For me, I really like this song! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The intro is a bit too long (common CD-era problem) and the song gets kinda lost in the middle, but the bulk of the song isn't too far from the classic GNR style. It's not AFD, but it's not a drastic departure from UYI either. If they'd cut it down to a 2,5-3 min rocker, it would've suited the UYI lineup. The only others that really seem like they could've worked with that lineup are The Blues and Perhaps, IMO. (Did you listen to the other leaks or just Hardschool?)

I said it another thread but I'll say it again here... I think no matter when a UYI follow-up was released, Axl would've adopted the clean voice. Dead Flowers on Gilby's album and Anxious Disease in '96 already had that cleaner vocal style.

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I feel pretty much this way too. It’s mediocre. Nothing classic GN’R about it at all. A weak CD era sounding rocker.

That said, what Slash and Duff added to it in the soundcheck clip, certainly made it sound closer to classic GN’R. I really wish we had the whole song from soundcheck from hearing that tease. 

Edited by metallex78
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I feel pretty much this way too. It’s mediocre. Nothing classic GN’R about it at all. A weak CD era sounding rocker.

That said, what Slash and Duff added to it in the soundcheck clip, certainly made it sound closer to classic GN’R. I really wish we had the whole song from soundcheck from hearing that tease. 

Hopefully it gets played as part of their 2021 tour, and as part of their Oz shows.

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The intro is a bit too long (common CD-era problem) and the song gets kinda lost in the middle, but the bulk of the song isn't too far from the classic GNR style. It's not AFD, but it's not a drastic departure from UYI either. If they'd cut it down to a 2,5-3 min rocker, it would've suited the UYI lineup. The only others that really seem like they could've worked with that lineup are The Blues and Perhaps, IMO. (Did you listen to the other leaks or just Hardschool?)

I said it another thread but I'll say it again here... I think no matter when a UYI follow-up was released, Axl would've adopted the clean voice. Dead Flowers on Gilby's album and Anxious Disease in '96 already had that cleaner vocal style.

I still hear the illusions lineup when i hear TWAT , SOD, and catcher that were leaked.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I entirely disagree with this. Listened to it for the first time in a while the other day and it genuinely got me excited again.

I think it would make a great calling card for the band's return. Has balls and energy and actually feels like it has a bit of Guns 'n' Roses lineage, unlike a lot of the Chinese era.

It also offers a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to everything thats about right now.

Edited by SilverMachine

I think it's a good song, UYI level to me. The leaked version is definately not ready to go though, sounds like a demo to me. Haven't heard the soundcheck bits.

I hope they rearrange it a bit and Axl's doing new vocals. The verses sound a bit weak and whiny, if they use that for the official release it would be very disappointing, imo.

15 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

No way you can say Chinese Democracy, Better and many others aren't more solid songs than Hardschool from 1999. That's just bullshit. There's I don't like the style yada, yada and then there's I'm just not listening. The majority of CD's songs had far more structure than Hardschool, it just jumps all over the place, and there's barely a decent riff within it. If that was on CD it would be in the top 3 worst songs on the album beside Rhiad and Scraped.

The leak of Hardschool is not a "traditionally" good song though, we can agree on that. Not a huge fan of Axls vocals on it either, I like Axl on the Chorus though! Solo is dog shit, breakdown section is completely unnecessary, and the vocal melody during the verse is very bland. 3/10 being generous, and that's all for the chorus

• Like 1

I actually think the Hardschool we got with the Village leaks with a proper mix and mastering would be perfect on the album. Same with Perhaps ,and Atlas from RM1.

After hearing the 2008 CD again recently, I really do feel the album would have been much better in it's 1999-2001 form, properly mixed and mastered of course.

Then have a follow-up in 2003-2004 with the sweet Buckethead stuff, then in 2006-2010 get the third album with Bumblefoot and DJ.

I'm dreaming now. 

• Like 1

Hardschool just screams 'unfinished' to me. The way it repeats in sections feels like it was meant to have a lot more to do it. It's like a minute, then repeated, which doesn't really fit in with other GNR songs. 

I really think there was a lot more work to be done on it. Should it ever actually be officially released, I would expect other 'parts' to it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Hardschool just screams 'unfinished' to me. The way it repeats in sections feels like it was meant to have a lot more to do it. It's like a minute, then repeated, which doesn't really fit in with other GNR songs. 

I really think there was a lot more work to be done on it. Should it ever actually be officially released, I would expect other 'parts' to it. 

I enjoyed the long intro and solo, I can't imagine adding anything to it, except for maybe rearranging or replacing some of the lyrics, but small changes like we got in Better, The Blues, etc.

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but the "repeats" is on par for a chorus of any song, no? Though the partial chorus at the very end may be a tad out of place. I like that bit actually, as it establishes a false end prior to it.

I always thought If The World ended prematurely, with the awesome heavy riff towards the end, I expected it to morph into something else. 

24 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoyed the long intro and solo, I can't imagine adding anything to it, except for maybe rearranging or replacing some of the lyrics, but small changes like we got in Better, The Blues, etc.

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but the "repeats" is on par for a chorus of any song, no? Though the partial chorus at the very end may be a tad out of place. I like that bit actually, as it establishes a false end prior to it.

I always thought If The World ended prematurely, with the awesome heavy riff towards the end, I expected it to morph into something else. 

I know what you mean.....it just feels a bit 'looped' to me rather than 'chorus being repeated'. Tough to explain, but I've just always felt it wasn't finished; like there was something extra it didn't have. 

Having said that, I do really like it of course- I liked all the leaks massively. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Anything they added to it there was negated by Axl's voice lol

My guess is for an eventual studio release of that track, Axl's vocals will be the same or very close to what we hear on the village version from 2000.

As for the live rehearsal, yeah, that was rough. It would have been nice to hear the full song rehearsed. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, El Guapo said:

I think it's a good song, UYI level to me. The leaked version is definately not ready to go though, sounds like a demo to me. Haven't heard the soundcheck bits.

I hope they rearrange it a bit and Axl's doing new vocals. The verses sound a bit weak and whiny, if they use that for the official release it would be very disappointing, imo.

If you search it you can find it, is different than the leak, I love the leak intro, but the soundcheck intro is better, and the way Axl sings the song is great.