The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

You’re making an album with Myles (Kennedy) and the Conspirators, right?

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

When do you think we’ll hear some of this music?

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/12/slashs-new-pinball-game-brings-concert-experience-to-guns-n-roses-fans-in-a-new-format.html

Would be awesome if they turned those 20 songs into 2 SMKC albums, kind of how Mark Tremonti split up the songs for his second and third albums. Very encouraging to hear that they have that much material ready to go.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Would be awesome if they turned those 20 songs into 2 SMKC albums, kind of how Mark Tremonti split up the songs for his second and third albums. Very encouraging to hear that they have that much material ready to go.

Especially with Myles being picky about song shelf lives this would be super awesome!

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/12/slashs-new-pinball-game-brings-concert-experience-to-guns-n-roses-fans-in-a-new-format.html

I think it's encouraging that Slash mentions GNR work without being asked, but that may just be a way of pre-empting the (inevitable) question. I wonder if his work on the record is finished, because it seems we have a few different theories saying different things (i've seen some say that GNR was in pre-production six months ago, and i've seen others say the album is already done). If i had to guess, i would say the production is (mostly) done but post-production is ongoing without a definite time for release yet.

I wonder what his ancillary recordings and jams are. Probably his recent side gigs, right?

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Excellent stuff - keeps my optimism levels going a bit further. A bit odd he called out the jamming with Duff and working on GNR separately though...?

And note he says ’worked on the Guns record’ like he isn’t currently.....🤔

I really want to believe that Slash’s “I guess” after his answer is because they still aren’t sure that they can tour next year, if that’s the case then that adds some weight to the theory that they want to release the album just before hitting the road again.

I want to believe!

Where did the "Slash and Duff will just re-record some stuff from old CD leftovers"-talk come from? Just fans going down a spiral turning it into some accepted reality -- or has any band member said that they will go back using Axls old stuff?

I would think the odds are greater that Slash, Duff and Axl starts from zero or go back to the Illusions or Appetite sessions to find something, and not that Axl comes dragging in 20 year old songs from the other band asking Slash to replace a solo but keeping the vocals etc.

Hard School being soundchecked, might be an argument against that ofc. If that was not some cheeky idea after it got leaked and talked about online.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

4 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Where did the "Slash and Duff will just re-record some stuff from old CD leftovers"-talk come from? Just fans going down a spiral turning it into some accepted reality -- or has any band member said that they will go back using Axls old stuff?

I would think the odds are greater that Slash, Duff and Axl starts from zero, and not that Axl comes dragging in 20 year old songs asking Slash to replace a solo but keeping the vocals etc.

Hard School being soundchecked, might be an argument against that ofc. If that was not some cheeky idea after it got leaked and talked about online.

I’m sure both have referenced the amount of material Axl has (in regards to the new album). And someone like Alan Niven made a comment that Axl was hunkered down going through that material for use on the new album.

2 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

I would think the odds are greater that Slash, Duff and Axl starts from zero or go back to the Illusions or Appetite sessions to find something, and not that Axl comes dragging in 20 year old songs from the other band asking Slash to replace a solo but keeping the vocals etc.

In the Chinese Exchange interview, Axl said he played Slash and Duff songs he already had and he said they liked them. And Richard said that at least one song he had been working on was from the old band. A lot of folks think that's Hard School. Other than that, I don't think there's been anything other than speculation.

3 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Both Slash and Duff referenced the ideas Axl already has recorded in multiple 2018/2019 interviews. Slash said Axl had produced the songs himself and Duff called them magnificent. There has been not one indication they are writing any new songs from scratch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Both Slash and Duff referenced the ideas Axl already has recorded in multiple 2018/2019 interviews. Slash said Axl had produced the songs himself and Duff called them magnificent. There has been not one indication they are writing any new songs from scratch.

Slash did say a month or so ago that he was recording 'original GNR music' or something like that though.

The last thing I'd want from this whole project would be just Axl's CDII drawer stuff with Slash's solos. That wouldn't be a proper record. They'll undoubtedly use some of the older demos, but the album needs to contain new music as well, to represent the current band...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Axl said at the china exchange he would be using the existing material for the new album, plus in 2015 the rumour was cd2 was mixed and good to go, gnr even hinted at it on their SM. Plus, as you say, the only new song they've soundchecked since the reunion, was a rehashed CD era song. So it's safe to assume most if not all the new material will be reworked from those songs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Axl said at the china exchange he would be using the existing material for the new album, plus in 2015 the rumour was cd2 was mixed and good to go, gnr even hinted at it on their SM. Plus, as you say, the only new song they've soundchecked since the reunion, was a rehashed CD era song. So it's safe to assume most if not all the new material will be reworked from those songs. 

Yay. Talking about a relevant, creative unity. Yay.

I'm all for them pulling from the vault, but I also hope it isn't a cut and paste job like much of CD was. Take the songs and record them fresh with the current line-up so it at least sounds like a cohesive band. Pick the best of the CD leftovers, write a couple brand new tunes, let Duff sing one, and there you go.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 6:47 AM, DTJ80 said:

And note he says ’worked on the Guns record’ like he isn’t currently.....🤔

If this was a normal band, I would take the "worked on record" statement to mean it's in the can or in post-production. But since this is GNR, it's probably a bunch of guitar riffs and melodies that Slash and Duff worked on that don't have any vocals and there is no record.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1