The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, axljungle said:

I like State of Grace and Eye On You too, but I think that both songs are unfinished songs.

The versions we have heard are possibly VERY early versions so they may have changed a lot since then.

Silkworms for example has changed into almost a whole new song over they years.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 6:31 AM, allwaystired said:

That's the view I hold now I think. That or, very sadly, the death of Axl, which may see things released. 

At this point I don’t even think Axls death would see any music released, assuming that all of Axls rights to the brand go to TB in the event of him passing. The brand alone would generate plenty of money to keep the maid and her kids rolling in the dough for many years to come without any actual music

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Thank you I do remember hearing that now .... I still like the old leak intro better .... And man Axl just sounds awful ... I can't imagine what the band thinks every time they hear him

I just took it that they were guide vocals for the soundcheck TBH. I think Think About You was soundchecked also and sounded really good.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:35 AM, SilverMachine said:

I entirely disagree with this. Listened to it for the first time in a while the other day and it genuinely got me excited again.

I think it would make a great calling card for the band's return. Has balls and energy and actually feels like it has a bit of Guns 'n' Roses lineage, unlike a lot of the Chinese era.

It also offers a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to everything thats about right now.

I think it could make a cool opener for them. Just launch right in. Of course this will literally never happen.

4 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

At this point I don’t even think Axls death would see any music released, assuming that all of Axls rights to the brand go to TB in the event of him passing. The brand alone would generate plenty of money to keep the maid and her kids rolling in the dough for many years to come without any actual music

I feel awful posting this but I personally think TB would release anything and everything they had access to (post axl).

The reason for no new music being released is purely Axl. Every other member (past and present) of gnr have shown they can release a ton of material on their own or with other bands.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

You’re making an album with Myles (Kennedy) and the Conspirators, right?

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the leftovers from Axl’s two decades old recordings, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

When do you think we’ll hear some of this music?

Slash: I would like to make myself and others believe that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess not. It’s very difficult to say because Axl has no interest or motivation in releasing new music, but I would like to hope to think we’ll have stuff out next year, however it likely will not come in the form you are hoping for, and from the band you are hoping for, yeah.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/12/slashs-new-pinball-game-brings-concert-experience-to-guns-n-roses-fans-in-a-new-format.html

Edited by smokingarthur
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/12/slashs-new-pinball-game-brings-concert-experience-to-guns-n-roses-fans-in-a-new-format.html

Would be awesome if they turned those 20 songs into 2 SMKC albums, kind of how Mark Tremonti split up the songs for his second and third albums. Very encouraging to hear that they have that much material ready to go.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Would be awesome if they turned those 20 songs into 2 SMKC albums, kind of how Mark Tremonti split up the songs for his second and third albums. Very encouraging to hear that they have that much material ready to go.

Especially with Myles being picky about song shelf lives this would be super awesome!

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

I think it's encouraging that Slash mentions GNR work without being asked, but that may just be a way of pre-empting the (inevitable) question. I wonder if his work on the record is finished, because it seems we have a few different theories saying different things (i've seen some say that GNR was in pre-production six months ago, and i've seen others say the album is already done). If i had to guess, i would say the production is (mostly) done but post-production is ongoing without a definite time for release yet.

I wonder what his ancillary recordings and jams are. Probably his recent side gigs, right?

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Excellent stuff - keeps my optimism levels going a bit further. A bit odd he called out the jamming with Duff and working on GNR separately though...?

And note he says ’worked on the Guns record’ like he isn’t currently.....🤔

Where did the "Slash and Duff will just re-record some stuff from old CD leftovers"-talk come from? Just fans going down a spiral turning it into some accepted reality -- or has any band member said that they will go back using Axls old stuff?

I would think the odds are greater that Slash, Duff and Axl starts from zero or go back to the Illusions or Appetite sessions to find something, and not that Axl comes dragging in 20 year old songs from the other band asking Slash to replace a solo but keeping the vocals etc.

Hard School being soundchecked, might be an argument against that ofc. If that was not some cheeky idea after it got leaked and talked about online.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos