Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, vloors said:

Hmm chatter of a new gnr album....

https://www.sctimes.com/story/life/2021/01/16/local-cd-pick-upcoming-releases-2021/6648177002/

 

Local CD pick: Upcoming releases of 2021

Tim Ryan
Special to the Times
 

While 2020 left us all with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, overall it was a decent year for music. As hopes turn to 2021, we're already seeing the possibilities of the new year.

We now have official release dates from artists who have dropped singles well in advance of their new albums, including Foo Fighters, The Pretty Reckless, Chevelle and Greta Van Fleet. Wolfgang Van Halen is also expected to drop his debut full-length album.

Expectations include new releases from Ghost, Pop Evil, Godsmack and Red Hot Chili Peppers. For those into something a bit heavier, look towards Slipknot, Megadeth, Mastodon, Veil Of Maya, Jinjer and Gojira. There’s also chatter of a new Guns N’ Roses album, but that’s anyone’s guess.  

This year looks to bring plenty of solid albums to satisfy just about everyone. Here's to a new year.

— Tim, Rockin’ 101, 101.7 FM. On air midnight-4 a.m. weeknights, midnight-5 a.m. weekends, 3-9 p.m. Saturday.

You're right in the middle of the 'chatter about a new Guns N Roses album' now! This is it! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is gonna sound shitty of me to say, but not only do I no longer care if a new album ever comes out or not, but I almost don’t even want it to, because I’ve gotten so used to the idea of viewing AFD/UYI/CD as a “trilogy” now (the band taking so long forced me to see things this way), that I’d almost rather just keep that idea in my head intact, instead of having something new come along to disrupt it. (Shrugs)

Edited by rocknroll41
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno where these come from every year but while driving to work today, GNR was playing in one of the biggest finnish radio station. When the song ended, DJ said "New GNR music coming 2021. And I am really looking forward to it!" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

Dunno where these come from every year but while driving to work today, GNR was playing in one of the biggest finnish radio station. When the song ended, DJ said "New GNR music coming 2021. And I am really looking forward to it!" 

Yeah, it makes buzz. Clicking, internet traffic, sharing on social media. I.e. advertisement through excitement. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, it makes buzz. Clicking, internet traffic, sharing on social media. I.e. advertisement through excitement. 

That's about it. And clueless DJs just saying whatever as they don't really give too much of a damn and just say whatever! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

As much as I hate to say this, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the only reason Hardschool was soundchecked is because it leaked, and nothing more.

Of course - Better, IRS, & TWAT only got played in '06 after the leaks. Without that we probably wouldn't have even heard it soundchecked.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

As much as I hate to say this, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the only reason Hardschool was soundchecked is because it leaked, and nothing more.

I wonder what Axl's reaction was after hearing news about all of the leaks.

It would be cool if another big one happened for 2001-2007 material. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BangoSkank said:

Of course - Better, IRS, & TWAT only got played in '06 after the leaks. Without that we probably wouldn't have even heard it soundchecked.

Exactly! I also wonder if the Skrewl leak in 2008 had something to do with the album finally coming out (along with Dr. Pepper, Best Buy, and Azoff, of course).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Exactly! I also wonder if the Skrewl leak in 2008 had something to do with the album finally coming out (along with Dr. Pepper, Best Buy, and Azoff, of course).

I'm sure it helped.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Exactly! I also wonder if the Skrewl leak in 2008 had something to do with the album finally coming out (along with Dr. Pepper, Best Buy, and Azoff, of course).

For sure, considering the hands off approach Axl took with promoting CD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

For sure, considering the hands off approach Axl took with promoting CD. 

You’d think the massive 2019 leak would’ve lead to a new album too then, tho I suppose they figured the Hardschool soundcheck was enough “proof” to court that a new album was coming. Idk, just theorizing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

You’d think the massive 2019 leak would’ve lead to a new album too then, tho I suppose they figured the Hardschool soundcheck was enough “proof” to court that a new album was coming. Idk, just theorizing.

one of the possible differences between before Chinese was released and 2019 is that Chinese was ready for release and Axl  already wanted to release it in 2006 but they first need to complete an album with Slash and Duff to release it and I'm guessing they're not there yet. Even if Axl got a shitload of material he cannot release it without fully incorporating Slash and Duff.

also my guess is Axl will not just let Slash rerecord Chinese era tunes so if he's going to use new Slash compositions that means more time will be required to finish the record.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

one of the possible differences between before Chinese was released and 2019 is that Chinese was ready for release and Axl  already wanted to release it in 2006 but they first need to complete an album with Slash and Duff to release it and I'm guessing they're not there yet. Even if Axl got a shitload of material he cannot release it without fully incorporating Slash and Duff.

also my guess is Axl will not just let Slash rerecord Chinese era tunes so if he's going to use new Slash compositions that means more time will be required to finish the record.

 

They are not going to shit-can some of the "big guns" from CD2 so I fully expect at the very least half of that album being used on the next one, if not all or most of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping that whatever songs they pick, new or old, all I know is the last thing I would want is Slash re-recording in 2021 a Bumble part from 2007 that was recorded alongside Axl vocals from 1999 and with Josh Freese drums that Brain recorded over only to be replaced by Frank lol

So I hope that there is just a bit more of an actual band recording setting to capture the energy of the band in a way that IMO Chinese didn't (hell even Frank can sound great recorded judging by the couple random singles from bands he recorded with these past few years)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They are not going to shit-can some of the "big guns" from CD2 so I fully expect at the very least half of that album being used on the next one, if not all or most of it. 

who knows right? I agree that some CD era material could fit and could also be too good to not use but maybe it all depends on what kind of album they want to release. maybe it's not just about having a great song to release but if it works in the context of the album and reflects Gn'R musically and lyrically now?

I mean for all we know Axl could be planning a double album and that will make more room for what Slash and Duff can bring to it now but even if it's just 1 album, I think what would benefit the music the most is if Slash and Duff get to really contribute to it new ideas and also the rest of the lineup including Axl which is something he kinda touched on in the China Exchange interview with the whole writing lyrics first comment.

It indicates he could be interested in creating new material for the album so why not give the rest of the band a chance to do it too? even Pitman got to write a song for Chinese. Axl's approach to it seems to be to try everything and to give everyone in the band a chance to contribute which I think, if true, is the best course of action cause we know he's not one of those artists that can do it on their own.

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

who knows right? I agree that some CD era material could fit and could also be too good to not use but maybe it all depends on what kind of album they want to release. maybe it's not just about having a great song to release but if it works in the context of the album and reflects Gn'R musically and lyrically now?

I mean for all we know Axl could be planning a double album and that will make more room for what Slash and Duff can bring to it now but even if it's just 1 album, I think what would benefit the music the most is if Slash and Duff get to really contribute to it new ideas and also the rest of the lineup including Axl which is something he kinda touched on in the China Exchange interview with the whole writing lyrics first comment.

It indicates he could be interested in creating new material for the album so why not give the rest of the band a chance to do it too? even Pitman got to write a song for Chinese. Axl's approach to it seems to be to try everything and to give everyone in the band a chance to contribute which I think, if true, is the best course of action cause we know he's not one of those artists that can do it on their own.

I'd very much like for it to be a double. We know in 2006 Axl said they have 2.5 albums worth of material. 1 was released in 2008, that leaves 1.5 albums worth of material, and I believe new songs have occurred since then so a double album is certainly possible by 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'd very much like for it to be a double. We know in 2006 Axl said they have 2.5 albums worth of material. 1 was released in 2008, that leaves 1.5 albums worth of material, and I believe new songs have occurred since then so a double album is certainly possible by 2021.

I'm thinking zero chance for even 1 album in 2021. and I think Axl does, in fact, has a ton of material from the Chinese era. I remember DJ saying how Axl played him new shit he came up with that DJ thought was great in hotel rooms during the tours for example. It only make sense that Axl has accumulated a lot of great tunes over the years. A lot of great musicians/composers worked for him as well but again... this is a version of Gn'R with Slash in it.

why would you not inject as much Gn'R identity to it when you're trying to make a Gn'R album? Slash is inherently more Gn'R compared to any other player that replaced him. Slash's absence from the band forced Axl to make a different kind of record, not just his own musical ambitions imo.

now he can potentially realize his musical vision in a more complete way by combining his best unreleased musical achievements from the Chinese era with more "Gn'R dna" that only Slash and Duff can bring to the table. Maybe for the first time in some ways and now they're on the same page, willing to make it a reality together, hopefully. The goal here is not just a great record imo. It's to make a great Gn'R record and I highly doubt they'll get there this year.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...