Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'd very much like for it to be a double. We know in 2006 Axl said they have 2.5 albums worth of material. 1 was released in 2008, that leaves 1.5 albums worth of material, and I believe new songs have occurred since then so a double album is certainly possible by 2021.

2.5 albums of material, doesn't mean 2.5 albums of releasable music. Regardless, I don't think we'll ever hear what Axl initially intended, but maybe Slash and Duff can improve some of the songs, make them a little more stripped back or add a new riff that gives it a more traditional GNR sound. 

After 12 years since CD, a double album would be nice! But my preference is 8-10 quality songs, anything less than amazing that they really want to release can be bonus editions or B-sides. A new album by GNR should be quality over quantity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PaoloLA said:

Just out of curiosity. What’s ur fav new song that hasn’t been released.
mine is Atlas and Going Down (hopefully redone) with Duff on vocals with Ax

Atlas, Oklahoma, Zodiac, Curly Shuffle and Perhaps

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rovim said:

one of the possible differences between before Chinese was released and 2019 is that Chinese was ready for release and Axl  already wanted to release it in 2006 but they first need to complete an album with Slash and Duff to release it and I'm guessing they're not there yet. Even if Axl got a shitload of material he cannot release it without fully incorporating Slash and Duff.

also my guess is Axl will not just let Slash rerecord Chinese era tunes so if he's going to use new Slash compositions that means more time will be required to finish the record.

 

You might be right: this would of course take more time. But they already had FIVE fucking years to get shit done! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

You might be right: this would of course take more time. But they already had FIVE fucking years to get shit done! 😂

yeah but they've spent most of that time touring and just meeting the high demand of the reunion. I hope the forced down time will be used for working on the album.

Link to post
Share on other sites

just out of curiosity, how many versions of Atlas have been leaked?  only version I heard sounded like Axl pulled the instrumental part off an old Nintendo game.  I didn't think it was good at all.  maybe I didnt hear the right version?  Vocals were decent on the version I heard, but that's it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

just out of curiosity, how many versions of Atlas have been leaked?  only version I heard sounded like Axl pulled the instrumental part off an old Nintendo game.  I didn't think it was good at all.  maybe I didnt hear the right version?  Vocals were decent on the version I heard, but that's it.

All are pretty much the same, like same effects and all that, the only difference in arrangements from my memory is Josh versus Brain playing the drum track, or additional guitar overdubs on the Rough Mixes #1 disk

I forgot how many actual different literal mixes there are because I deleted all but the best sounding Josh version and best sounding Brain version lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point I have a very hard time believing that a new album will be any good, regardless if the songs are new or old. I just can't imagine these guys creating real music with heart and soul anymore, sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

2.5 albums of material, doesn't mean 2.5 albums of releasable music.

In 2014 he said there was a CD remix and a follow-up to CD already done. So it's probable 2-2.5 albums were ready in 2006.

We already know one album more or less was ready by the end of 2000, with many more songs just needing vocals.

"Releasable music" is subjective though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, El Guapo said:

At this point I have a very hard time believing that a new album will be any good, regardless if the songs are new or old. I just can't imagine these guys creating real music with heart and soul anymore, sadly.

I don't think that was ever a problem for Gn'R. Axl got material from when he was much younger as well probably. At the very least they can release something like Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth ie using rerecorded and updated old material (not that I think Axl will actually do the same thing to that extent) but anything is better than nothing at all cause Axl doesn't release subpar records.

I believe Slash is not stupid so he knows what's the quality standard in Gn'R and I don't think he ever lost his ability to create brilliant compositions. It just wasn't his goal to dig that deep for his own stuff in most cases plus the 3 of them together are much stronger musically compared to on their own imo.

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

The Hard School soundcheck was just the carrot on the stick to keep us interested in a band that's totally running out of steam for anything other than touring

Pretty rotten carrot if you ask me...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

just out of curiosity, how many versions of Atlas have been leaked?  only version I heard sounded like Axl pulled the instrumental part off an old Nintendo game.  I didn't think it was good at all.  maybe I didnt hear the right version?  Vocals were decent on the version I heard, but that's it.

 

At least 4, maybe 5? Can't remember if the 'regular drums' and RM1 versions are the same, I think they are though? The 2001 mix has some extra guitars and sounds a little more polished (it's easily the best one, IMO).

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

At least 4, maybe 5? Can't remember if the 'regular drums' and RM1 versions are the same, I think they are though? The 2001 mix has some extra guitars and sounds a little more polished (it's easily the best one, IMO).

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

I have every version except the 2001 mix :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

At least 4, maybe 5? Can't remember if the 'regular drums' and RM1 versions are the same, I think they are though? The 2001 mix has some extra guitars and sounds a little more polished (it's easily the best one, IMO).

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

Did the 2001 mix leak togheter with the village studio leak? Which songs was (re)mixed in 2001? I remember having 2001 versions of madagascar and the blues, but those leaked before the village studio.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

At least 4, maybe 5? Can't remember if the 'regular drums' and RM1 versions are the same, I think they are though? The 2001 mix has some extra guitars and sounds a little more polished (it's easily the best one, IMO).

- Rough Mixes 1

- Drums at regular level
Drums up 1.5db
Drums down 1.5db

- 2001 mix

Rough Mixes 1 is the oldest, and has extra guitar. This is probably my favorite mix.

The three Brain db level mixes have spectacular sounding drums, but the vocals seem a bit lower in the mix. 

2001 mix has different drums than all of the others, from what I can hear. This one seems to be mixed well, but they dropped a guitar out of it that was noticeably present in the RM1 version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to pick the personal best versions of the 14 Chinese Democracy songs, just for fun:

  • Chinese Democracy (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Shackler's Revenge (album version)
  • Better (Harley Davidson 2007 version)
  • Street of Dreams (album version)
  • If The World (Rough Mix #2 version)
  • There Was a Time (album version)
  • Catcher in the Rye (Rough Mix #1 version)
  • Scraped (album version)
  • Riad N' The Bedouins (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Sorry (Rough Mix #2 version with vocals)
  • I.R.S. (album version)
  • Madagascar (album version)
  • This I Love (album version)
  • Prostitute (Brain demo from 2001)

As for Atlas, the 2001 mix is my go-to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jettesnel said:

Did the 2001 mix leak togheter with the village studio leak? Which songs was (re)mixed in 2001? I remember having 2001 versions of madagascar and the blues, but those leaked before the village studio.

 

Yea The Blues and Madagascar leaked probably 6-12 months before the Village stuff? There was one disc of mixes from summer 2001 in the Village leaks though, I'll send it to you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

^ That was a cool interview, some interesting guitar talk such as the string gauges and whatnot that Slash doesn't usually talk about much, or is asked about much in interviews

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gackt said:

If I had to pick the personal best versions of the 14 Chinese Democracy songs, just for fun:

  • Chinese Democracy (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Shackler's Revenge (album version)
  • Better (Harley Davidson 2007 version)
  • Street of Dreams (album version)
  • If The World (Rough Mix #2 version)
  • There Was a Time (album version)
  • Catcher in the Rye (Rough Mix #1 version)
  • Scraped (album version)
  • Riad N' The Bedouins (Brain demo from 2001)
  • Sorry (Rough Mix #2 version with vocals)
  • I.R.S. (album version)
  • Madagascar (album version)
  • This I Love (album version)
  • Prostitute (Brain demo from 2001)

As for Atlas, the 2001 mix is my go-to.

Nice! I actually prefer the album versions of everything except Street Of Dreams (MSL Leak), If The World (Rough Mixes 2), There Was A Time (Antiquiet Leak), and Riad (Rough Mixes 1). But it’s cool to see other opinions on this!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...