The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Old Man Slash seems cool! Way more talkative and “animated” these days lol.

heh yeah very chill and was cracking jokes. Sobriety seems to agree with him. I like that he sometimes holds his guitar vertically while sitting down at home too when going for the high notes.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Just started listening. Already disappointed (expectedly) at how most of what he's doing or at least talking about is with Myles and Conspirators. I enjoy that band a lot, but I'm hungry for GNR news. Looks like, as usual, there is none.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Just started listening. Already disappointed (expectedly) at how most of what he's doing or at least talking about is with Myles and Conspirators. I enjoy that band a lot, but I'm hungry for GNR news. Looks like, as usual, there is none.

He did say he was jamming with/ writing for both smkc AND gnr, to be fair, but he did say GnR second and it did sound a little passive, yeah.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

Axl already has the drum/rhythm/synth tracks to weave Slash (and Duff) into, it's not like he really needs to jam or write that much for GNR. So of course he's gonna talk about the band that he has more creative control over and can actually release music with.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl already has the drum/rhythm/synth tracks to weave Slash (and Duff) into, it's not like he really needs to jam or write that much for GNR. So of course he's gonna talk about the band that he has more creative control over and can actually release music with.

does that mean you think every song on a potential album will be from the CD era? maybe there could be a scenario where Slash comes up with a completely new instrumental with more than just a riff that Axl will want to use or even a bunch of them.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

does that mean you think every song on a potential album will be from the CD era? maybe there could be a scenario where Slash comes up with a completely new instrumental with more than just a riff that Axl will want to use or even a bunch of them.

Yea it's totally possible they throw some newly written stuff in there, but I'd guess most songs would be reworked CD2 songs.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea it's totally possible they throw some newly written stuff in there, but I'd guess most songs would be reworked CD2 songs.

I would say most, if not all will be CD era.

32 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I would say most, if not all will be CD era.

I guess it's possible that Axl already kinda figured out what he wants the next album to be. Maybe the themes and even some specific tunes are already decided on or even most of it and he mainly wants to add Slash leads and rhythm guitars plus Duff on top of the foundation that was created by the Slashless lineups. I really don't know.

on one hand, the fact Axl mentioned Slash and Duff liking the unreleased CD era material supports this. On the other, why would he mention he wants to start from lyrics? maybe since he completed CD ll there are more themes he wants to incorporate, to write about?

it would definitely save time if Axl only needs Slash and Duff to mostly enhance and add to a pretty much completed puzzle.

it's all specualtion, but I'm not sure how I feel about Slash just reworking Chinese tunes for the most part. This way, at least on paper, you don't get Robin's and Bucket's actual performances and you also don't get a lot of Slash compositions so it really is just a diluted Chinese part 2 kinda thing only instead of Bucket, Robin, and Bumble you get Slash so it actually sounds like Gn'R. I can see Axl doing this.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Based on the Village sessions alone then we know there is quality material there to be built upon so I’d be more than happy if that was the basis of the majority of the new album. Slash and Duff adding/changing Village stuff is fine by me.

FWIW I think it will be a 50/50 effort between Village stuff and new compositions.

Im not fussy how any new album is made up TBH....😂.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I guess it's possible that Axl already kinda figured out what he wants the next album to be. Maybe the themes and even some specific tunes are already decided on or even most of it and he mainly wants to add Slash leads and rhythm guitars plus Duff on top of the foundation that was created by the Slashless lineups. I really don't know.

on one hand, the fact Axl mentioned Slash and Duff liking the unreleased CD era material supports this. On the other, why would he mention he wants to start from lyrics? maybe since he completed CD ll there are more themes he wants to incorporate, to write about?

it would definitely save time if Axl only needs Slash and Duff to mostly enhance and add to a pretty much completed puzzle.

it's all specualtion, but I'm not sure how I feel about Slash just reworking Chinese tunes for the most part. This way, at least on paper, you don't get Robin's and Bucket's actual performances and you also don't get a lot of Slash compositions so it really is just a diluted Chinese part 2 kinda thing only instead of Bucket, Robin, and Bumble you get Slash so it actually sounds like Gn'R. I can see Axl doing this.

CD2 has been finished for probably a decade, so he's got songs for Slash and Duff to work with. But then the issue becomes, assuming he already knows how the next album is 'supposed to' sound, which songs would maintain their integrity? Slash and Duff seem to have changed Hardschool for the better, and they'd probably sound good on stuff like Perhaps, Oklahoma, The Rebel, etc. but can you imagine Slash improvings songs like State of Grace, The General or Zodiac?

A 'diluted CD2' certainly wouldn't be ideal but it seems the most likely.

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Based on the Village sessions alone then we know there is quality material there to be built upon so I’d be more than happy if that was the basis of the majority of the new album. Slash and Duff adding/changing Village stuff is fine by me.

FWIW I think it will be a 50/50 effort between Village stuff and new compositions.

Im not fussy how any new album is made up TBH....😂.

If NITL has taught us anything, it's that we should expect an excessive amount of covers. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

CD2 has been finished for probably a decade, so he's got songs for Slash and Duff to work with. But then the issue becomes, assuming he already knows how the next album is 'supposed to' sound, which songs would maintain their integrity? Slash and Duff seem to have changed Hardschool for the better, and they'd probably sound good on stuff like Perhaps, Oklahoma, The Rebel, etc. but can you imagine Slash improvings songs like State of Grace, The General or Zodiac?

If NITL has taught us anything, it's that we should expect an excessive amount of covers. :lol:

I’ll be honest - I’d be completely fine with a studio version of Wichita Lineman....I think I’m one of the very few folk on here who actually likes it! Prefer it to be a b-side as to not waste a space right enough! 🤣

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’ll be honest - I’d be completely fine with a studio version of Wichita Lineman....I think I’m one of the very few folk on here who actually likes it! Prefer it to be a b-side as to not waste a space right enough! 🤣

Honestly it was another missed opportunity not releasing an EP or something around 2018, they should've thrown The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Hardschool and one other track out there to keep people interested.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly it was another missed opportunity not releasing an EP or something around 2018, they should've thrown The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Hardschool and one other track out there to keep people interested.

Totally agree - a tour EP was the easiest thing in the world to do and would have likely gave extra impetus to the latter stages of NITL......and yet nothing. 🙄

• Like 1

Working on existing material or writing new music together... whatever they chose to do, I think Slash's already done with what he's responsible for. That's the impression I got of the interviews he gave. He was more focused on Guns and now he seems to be concentrating on SMKC.

So either he has done what he had to do for Guns and is now waiting for Axl, or they scrapped the whole idea of new GNR record but he won't tell for not causing any damage.

Edited by Free Bird
1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Working on existing material or writing new music together... whatever they chose to do, I think Slash's already done with what he's responsible for. That's the impression I got of the interviews he gave. He was more focused on Guns and now he seems to be concentrating on SMKC.

So either he has done what he had to do for Guns and is now waiting for Axl, or they scrapped the whole idea of new GNR record but he won't tell for not causing any damage.

The record isn't scrapped, we know nothing, but we know that much. There's no way it's scrapped and Slash is out doing interviews stating that he's "hoping it's released in 2021". By saying that he hopes it gets released in 2021, as flimsy as that is! it puts a delivery time on the record, when 2021 is over with and the record isn't here, more damage has been done than the alternative of just saying "We tried to get a few songs together but it just wasn't happening".

One thing I hope is that Slash and Duff have contributed on more than just a recoding musician level. I would have been over the moon to have heard CD II in all its glory in 2014, but now with Slash and Duff in the band I want to hear what Slash, Duff, Axl and co can write, right now. Obviously there's no point throwing out great songs, so if there's great CD II songs then they should be included, but Slash and Duffs songwriting should 100% be present too!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

One thing I hope is that Slash and Duff have contributed on more than just a recoding musician level. I would have been over the moon to have heard CD II in all its glory in 2014, but now with Slash and Duff in the band I want to hear what Slash, Duff, Axl and co can write, right now. Obviously there's no point throwing out great songs, so if there's great CD II songs then they should be included, but Slash and Duffs songwriting should 100% be present too!

I totally agree with that man, I personally have zero interest anymore in really much of any of the tracks that were tracked in the Chinese era.  That era creatively is a decade or more past, and I don't want Slash and Duff merely overdubbing parts on 10-20 year old drum/vocal/additional guitar tracks.  I am down for a few fresh re-recordings of CD era song with the current lineup with additions and revisions from Slash and Duff though

I would love to hear some freshly written songs coming from Slash, Duff, and Axl

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Dean said:

Scrapping 20 year old vocal recordings of Axl Rose in his pomp should be a massive no go. 

I get it for sure, just to me it would be like Playboy releasing photos of Pam Anderdon from 20 years ago going "here is the brand new Pam Anderson photoshoot" lol.

I would rather he just release the CD era tracks as-is in a "1996-2008 Chinese Era" boxset related to that era and hang it up if he can't bring new vocals to a new GNR album, although judging by Rock the Rock I still think he can rock it in the studio

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

you're probably right. It's how Axl operates, he just adds current players to existing work/replaces those who left with whoever joins the band.

Axl insinuated that CD ll is similar to Chinese. Slash played 8 Chinese tunes live and the HS souncheck was cool so maybe the material that doesn't fit his style of playing would be replaced with other songs from the CD era or new stuff that Axl came up with since CD ll was completed. (plus Down By The Ocean)

I guess I believed that because it's Slash, Axl will give him a chance to contribute as much as he did for Appetite and UYI but maybe that was wishful thinking.

if they manage to release a Guns album and it's mostly CD era material with Slash on top, then that means Axl got what he wanted in a way: he didn't want to go in Slash's musical direction or Gilby's and Izzy left so Paul, Robin, and Bucket, players that Axl wanted in the band laid the foundation for 2 albums. (Chinese and the next one)

I'm more and more convinced that they're just waiting for Axl, indeed. Plus they probably only want to release stuff when they can tour it. Obviously, that doesn't "logically excuse" their not releasing singles/EPs/videos etc., but... I guess this is the way it is. 

I for one hope that all the Chinese-stuff remains as untouched as possible, if it's ever being used at all. I actively dislike the Better-Intro as well as the overrated-as-fuck HS-soundcheck, not to mention all the fucked up solos and what not. They shit all over these songs, so I hope they stay away from that era and at least make something on their own. All I personally want are the Village-demos with vocals.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
34 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I get it for sure, just to me it would be like Playboy releasing photos of Pam Anderdon from 20 years ago going "here is the brand new Pam Anderson photoshoot" lol.

I would rather he just release the CD era tracks as-is in a "1996-2008 Chinese Era" boxset related to that era and hang it up if he can't bring new vocals to a new GNR album, although judging by Rock the Rock I still think he can rock it in the studio

It’s all going to be new to us, and Chinese to begin with had vocals that were 9-10 years old by that point, so no need to deprive us of vocals that carry such swagger in my opinion. Just out of curiosity I had a look at what Pamela is looking like nowadays and she is still 🔥 

Don’t get me wrong, I do not doubt Axl’s vocal chops nowadays, in a studio, he’d still be able to produce the goods, but I want to hear more from that period vocally speaking - the casual listener would be none the wiser.

I played Hardschool back in 2019 for my friend and the first thing he said after hearing it was that he couldn’t believe how young Axl sounded.

2 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I for one hope that all the Chinese-stuff remains as untouched as possible, if it's ever being used at all. I actively dislike the Better-Intro as well as the overrated-as-fuck HS-soundcheck, not to mention all the fucked up solos and what not. They shit all over these songs, so I hope they stay away from that era and at least make something on their own. All I personally want are the Village-demos with vocals.

This gentleman speaks truth.

• Thanks 1