Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Dean said:

It’s all going to be new to us, and Chinese to begin with had vocals that were 9-10 years old by that point, so no need to deprive us of vocals that carry such swagger in my opinion. Just out of curiosity I had a look at what Pamela is looking like nowadays and she is still 🔥 

Don’t get me wrong, I do not doubt Axl’s vocal chops nowadays, in a studio, he’d still be able to produce the goods, but I want to hear more from that period vocally speaking - the casual listener would be none the wiser.

I played Hardschool back in 2019 for my friend and the first thing he said after hearing it was that he couldn’t believe how young Axl sounded.

This gentleman speaks truth.

I want to hear vocals that he can reproduce on a live stage. What's the point in hearing these crazy vocals from 20yrs ago if when it comes to playing any one of the songs live he's struggling? IF he could sing the way he does on those old recordings then keeping makes sense, beyond that I don't get it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The record isn't scrapped, we know nothing, but we know that much. There's no way it's scrapped and Slash is out doing interviews stating that he's "hoping it's released in 2021". By saying that he hopes it gets released in 2021, as flimsy as that is! it puts a delivery time on the record, when 2021 is over with and the record isn't here, more damage has been done than the alternative of just saying "We tried to get a few songs together but it just wasn't happening".

One thing I hope is that Slash and Duff have contributed on more than just a recoding musician level. I would have been over the moon to have heard CD II in all its glory in 2014, but now with Slash and Duff in the band I want to hear what Slash, Duff, Axl and co can write, right now. Obviously there's no point throwing out great songs, so if there's great CD II songs then they should be included, but Slash and Duffs songwriting should 100% be present too!

He doesn't put a delivery time when he says he's hoping. Everybody knows, even when they have the whole record written and recorded, it's still Axl who has to be ready. And it's not only his vocals. It's all his farts and layers that he's adding to the music... by saying he's hoping, he basically says, that he has done all he could but know it isn't up to him anymore.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

He doesn't put a delivery time when he says he's hoping. Everybody knows, even when they have the whole record written and recorded, it's still Axl who has to be ready. And it's not only his vocals. It's all his farts and layers that he's adding to the music... by saying he's hoping, he basically says, that he has done all he could but know it isn't up to him anymore.

 

I don't think the average reader of nme, blabbermouth, RS know that when Slash says something about releases he isn't in charge of the timeline. Most people would assume if Slash says something that there's pretty firm plans in place that Axl is on board with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't think the average reader of nme, blabbermouth, RS know that when Slash says something about releases he isn't in charge of the timeline. Most people would assume if Slash says something that there's pretty firm plans in place that Axl is on board with.

Probably... but you and me know better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I want to hear vocals that he can reproduce on a live stage. What's the point in hearing these crazy vocals from 20yrs ago if when it comes to playing any one of the songs live he's struggling? IF he could sing the way he does on those old recordings then keeping makes sense, beyond that I don't get it. 

His vocal approach and technique for live shows has gotten him thus far, I don't think that will change any time soon, so regardless of how stellar he is currently in a studio setting, it will no doubt sound vastly different in a live setting, though will still hit the notes he has to - which he has done for the most part these last 10 years - just in a different 'clean' style that gets him through a 3 hour show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dean said:

His vocal approach and technique for live shows has gotten him thus far, I don't think that will change any time soon, so regardless of how stellar he is currently in a studio setting, it will no doubt sound vastly different in a live setting, though will still hit the notes he has to - which he has done for the most part these last 10 years - just in a different 'clean' style that gets him through a 3 hour show. 

That's all true😄

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dean said:

His vocal approach and technique for live shows has gotten him thus far, I don't think that will change any time soon, so regardless of how stellar he is currently in a studio setting, it will no doubt sound vastly different in a live setting, though will still hit the notes he has to - which he has done for the most part these last 10 years - just in a different 'clean' style that gets him through a 3 hour show. 

I don't care about him hitting 'the notes' if he still sounds like a grandma getting strangled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, how he delivers something live is way less important to me that what he can do in a studio. 

I'd sacrifice never seeing them live again in a heartbeat for new material. If they wanted to release a new album, then tour and play nothing from it, and do all the old songs really really badly, I'd be fine with that. I just wouldn't go. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really think Axl has much of a plan. I mean what exactly was his plan for Chinese Democracy? After so many years I really thought there would be something epic, but the CD cover didn't even look very professional. There were some good songs on there but nothing really so different or interesting. They definitely have enough stuff knocking around to make a really solid album, but I don't think Axl really cares. Even Angus Young said that Axl was involved with a lot of stuff 'but I dont know if you can say it was music.' That to me means that Axl is perhaps more focused on the tours or merchandise rather than getting back in the studio.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I get it for sure, just to me it would be like Playboy releasing photos of Pam Anderdon from 20 years ago going "here is the brand new Pam Anderson photoshoot" lol.

I would rather he just release the CD era tracks as-is in a "1996-2008 Chinese Era" boxset related to that era and hang it up if he can't bring new vocals to a new GNR album, although judging by Rock the Rock I still think he can rock it in the studio

I certainly wouldn’t want any brand-new shots of Pam. I’ll take the 20+ year old ones for sure.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I don't care about him hitting 'the notes' if he still sounds like a grandma getting strangled.

It is what it is at this point - you can guarantee he will sound ferocious on a new record though, and hopefully, he'll be back singing with swagger like he did in 2016. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nesret said:

I for one hope that all the Chinese-stuff remains as untouched as possible, if it's ever being used at all. I actively dislike the Better-Intro as well as the overrated-as-fuck HS-soundcheck, not to mention all the fucked up solos and what not. They shit all over these songs, so I hope they stay away from that era and at least make something on their own. All I personally want are the Village-demos with vocals.

I couldn't agree more.

I would just LOVE for the next release to be a double album, the first being CD2 as it was in 2014 (or whatever) and the next album being re-worked remaining CD era songs or additional completed CD era songs AND completely new songs by the current lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if they could do the above in the form of 3 albums.

Emphasis on "could" because it's GN'R and we will be lucky to get another album or even an EP in the next 12-24 months.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

He sounds great on Rock the Rock. Do we know when that was recorded 

I think this is a bit of a myth. He doesn't sound bad. but there's no power at all, its whiny, and he sounds like he's straining on the verses. compare that to his voice on There was a time. The power there is unreal. Rock the Rock sounds like modern Axl does live, when he's having a better night. Otherwise it's weak. But coz we've not heard a studio vocal in about 13 years people have creamed all over it. I get that. If you haven't eaten in 3 weeks, a lettuce leaf taste like a waygu steak.

There's no doubt that any vocal axl recorded between 2000-2006 will sound 1 million times better than anything he can produce now. And who cares when a song was recorded or written if it's never been heard before? In 50 years when people look at GnRs legacy who will say a song released in 2022 isn't valid because it was written in 2001? Who outside of this forum will even know that or give a fuck :lol:

Edited by JimiRose
typo
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me that was my biggest issue with Chinese.  Not that the vocals sound bad, but when you mix and match vocal tracks from 1999 with guitar tracks from 2007, an early 2000's re-recording of another drummers drum tracks from 1998, etc. you lose sonic cohesiveness

That is one of the reasons why Cather In The Rye off the actual album sounds like a mushy sonic jumbled mess compared to the more streamlined early Brian May demo.

That is why I appreciated what Van Halen did on their last album.  They went into the treasure trove of older songs they had in the archives but new, fresh recordings of the band which paid off well when it comes to organic cohesive sonic energy which to me all great rock records need

All just my opinion ofc!  Not to discount anyone that may disagree with that, this is just my own personal wish for a potential next GNR album, if one ever comes to light to begin with lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think this is a bit of a myth. He doesn't sound bad. but there's no power at all, its whiny, and he sounds like he's straining on the verses. compare that to his voice on There was a time. The power there is unreal. Rock the Rock sounds like modern Axl does live, when he's having a better night. Otherwise it's weak. But coz we've not heard a studio vocal in about 13 years people have creamed all over it. I get that. If you haven't eaten in 3 weeks, a lettuce leaf taste like a waygu steak.

There's no doubt that any vocal axl recorded between 2000-2006 will sound 1 million times better than anything he can produce now. And who cares when a song was recorded or written if it's never been heard before? In 50 years when people look at GnRs legacy who will say a song released in 2022 isn't valid because it was written in 2001? Who outside of this forum will even know that or give a fuck :lol:

 

Yea, I really don't get the praise for the vocals on Rock The Rock. He doesn't sound awful, but he sure doesn't sound great either... the different vocal layers kinda give the illusion of a more powerful voice. If all the vocals on new material sounded like that, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

Yea, I really don't get the praise for the vocals on Rock The Rock. He doesn't sound awful, but he sure doesn't sound great either... the different vocal layers kinda give the illusion of a more powerful voice. If all the vocals on new material sounded like that, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

Granted he sounds a little bit older and maybe there's not that same power as of years back but it's still unmistakably Axl. Just a shame that he's unable/unwilling to do that for most live performances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

Granted he sounds a little bit older and maybe there's not that same power as of years back but it's still unmistakably Axl. Just a shame that he's unable/unwilling to do that for most live performances. 

 

The vocal layers result in a weird 'texture' IMO. It might've sounded better if he'd just belted it out SOYL style but to be fair it was mixed to be in a kids tv show lol, and it's still unmistakably Axl. I don't think his GNR vocals would sound like that but still, it doesn't sound great...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, DTJ80 said:

I’ll be honest - I’d be completely fine with a studio version of Wichita Lineman....I think I’m one of the very few folk on here who actually likes it! Prefer it to be a b-side as to not waste a space right enough! 🤣

 

On 1/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

 

Honestly it was another missed opportunity not releasing an EP or something around 2018, they should've thrown The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, Hardschool and one other track out there to keep people interested.

 

On 1/22/2021 at 4:57 PM, DTJ80 said:

Totally agree - a tour EP was the easiest thing in the world to do and would have likely gave extra impetus to the latter stages of NITL......and yet nothing. 🙄

Yeah I would've been interested in a studio version of the Seeker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

Granted he sounds a little bit older and maybe there's not that same power as of years back but it's still unmistakably Axl. Just a shame that he's unable/unwilling to do that for most live performances. 

Yeah I actually quite like the vocals he laid out on Rock the Rock, some of the notes he lingers on are not too unlike some of his vocal delivery on TSI? - albeit older sounding lol.  Paying attention to the main vocal track mostly and ignoring the lower octave overdubs that obscure and add to the vocals, I quite dig it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I'm genuinely more interested in hearing cd2 in its different guises than new stuff by Slash and Duff. I just keep imagining some bland radio friendly stuff or VR style stuff. 

Considering how much Shadow Of Your Love was played and promoted as a "new GN'R song" a few years back, absolutely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...