The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Posted Images

Rock the Rock is pretty straight edge in that it's not demanding of Axl. Nor should it be as a kids show. For what it is, i think Axl gives enough power (particularly on the main vocal placement at the end of particular verses - like 'telling no lies'). It might be suggestive of what Axl could sound like if recording over the past five years, but i do expect GN'R songs to be more complicated (as they usually are) than Rock the Rock. The same goes for vocals too.

Never brought it up much but "Stuck inside" with bach had some of the most ruthless Axl scream. Gets my gut tense everytime Im listening to it... so fkn powerful!

Hope a new album would have that aggression or attitude. Too his voice at the last we have heard cant even compete with Mickey Mouse or the strangled grandma  anymore lolol

🐭 👵 😭😭

Edited by NTONIUS
Horrible grammar lol had to fix.
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, NTONIUS said:

Never brought it up much but "Stuck inside" with bach had some of the most ruthless Axl scream. Gets my gut tense everytime Im listening to it... so fkn powerful!

Hope a new album would have that aggression or attitude. Too his voice at the last we have heard cant even compete with Mickey Mouse or the strangled grandma  anymore lolol

🐭 👵 😭😭

Love that song and it's so cool right before Axl comes in there's an awesome guitar lick almost like an introduction then Ax comes in with a menacing rasp and his scream he holds for nearly a minute and it's all around so epic crazy to think he was singing like that as late as '07/'08 ...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I really don't get the praise for the vocals on Rock The Rock. He doesn't sound awful, but he sure doesn't sound great either... the different vocal layers kinda give the illusion of a more powerful voice. If all the vocals on new material sounded like that, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

Yeah me either ... When it first came out I remember people on this forum were hailing it as this amazing vocal performance ... I only listened to it twice and I'll probably never listen again given it's a freaking Looney Tunes song for godsake ....

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, I really don't get the praise for the vocals on Rock The Rock. He doesn't sound awful, but he sure doesn't sound great either... the different vocal layers kinda give the illusion of a more powerful voice. If all the vocals on new material sounded like that, I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly.

This... Those have always been exactly my thoughts.. And if it can't be re-produced live, don't record it..

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

This... Those have always been exactly my thoughts.. And if it can't be re-produced live, don't record it..

Respectfully disagree.

Would love a killer studio album.  

His live vocals are what they are now.......

• Like 2

not sure Axl's vocals on Rock The Rock reflect everything he can do in the studio. It's just one short little project he was involved in. Even if his voice is weaker compared to Rock The Rock, I'd still want another album from Gn'R.

Axl being able to do justice live to his studio work would be great, but it's not a deal breaker for me if it doesn't live up to the quality of his studio performances.

49 minutes ago, Pele said:

Respectfully disagree.

Would love a killer studio album.  

His live vocals are what they are now.......

I'm with you on this too. If he can't sing live, then knock out an album and let the fans enjoy it. But albums don't make money, and if GNR ended up back in the studio to write an album from scratch, I'm pretty sure 'creative differences' would blow it apart.

The best we can hope for is Slash & Duff reworking existing songs/vocal tracks from Chinese era with two or three 'new' songs. 

I always liked the idea of a double album, the first side being Chinese II and the other being songs that they’ve come up with since 2016.

I am curious as to what happens behind the scenes within the camp. Granted, the first year was all about feeling out being back together and seeing how the shows turn out, but other than 2019, it looked like there was no intention of mixing it up with new songs or letting the fans know that something was coming. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Dean said:

I always liked the idea of a double album, the first side being Chinese II and the other being songs that they’ve come up with since 2016.

I am curious as to what happens behind the scenes within the camp. Granted, the first year was all about feeling out being back together and seeing how the shows turn out, but other than 2019, it looked like there was no intention of mixing it up with new songs or letting the fans know that something was coming. 

I still think a double album is the way to go, even if all or most of it is just updated Chinese era material.

Both Slash and Duff said Axl got a lot of unreleased tunes and for a hard rock band like Gn'R with demanding vocals, time is running out faster compared to bands like The Stones for example and it could be the last chance they have to release an album with the ability to properly support it live.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I still think a double album is the way to go, even if all or most of it is just updated Chinese era material.

Both Slash and Duff said Axl got a lot of unreleased tunes and for a hard rock band like Gn'R with demanding vocals, time is running out faster compared to bands like The Stones for example and it could be the last chance they have to release an album with the ability to properly support it live.

100%. The catalogue is in dire need of getting beefed up and they're still of age to put on a helluva show and do justice to any new material when firing on all cylinders, so it makes perfect sense. 

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I still want to hear the rest of the stuff he recorded between 1999-2010, even though he wouldn't be able to reproduce those vocals live. The songs on Angel Down and the remix of This I Love are some of the best vocals he's ever recorded IMO, I'd love to hear more stuff like that.

But as far as new stuff, I hope he stays away from the layered Rock The Rock approach. He still sounds like himself on The Seeker, Wichita Lineman, the verses on Slither, etc so hopefully any new stuff would utilize those more natural vocals.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

when we are taking about rock the rock in this treat....make me s sad !!!!

It’s even more sad, that RTR was one of the most exciting things to happen on this forum (and with this band) in the last 3 years

The only more exciting thing I can think about are the leaks 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think they've already proven that they can make a double record, now I think it's the time for them to put out a single record that says "It's not AFD, but god damn that was great from top to bottom" Quality not quantity. This is not the time for grand ideas, especially on a "comeback" album, they have everything to prove on this album, and everything to lose! 

Obviously it would be Birthday and Christmas together if Axl decided to release a triple album with all his best CD material but I can't see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think they've already proven that they can make a double record, now I think it's the time for them to put out a single record that says "It's not AFD, but god damn that was great from top to bottom" Quality not quantity. This is not the time for grand ideas, especially on a "comeback" album, they have everything to prove on this album, and everything to lose! 

Obviously it would be Birthday and Christmas together if Axl decided to release a triple album with all his best CD material but I can't see it.

I just assume that because Axl has only released 15 songs in 30 years and multiple sources in the band have said that there is a lot of unreleased material, that it should be relatively easy for Gn'R to release more than just 14 great tunes. (give or take)

a lot of fans around here seem to think Axl got something like 2.5 albums. They can't release a double album with 30 tracks after all these years? even if some tunes are great and some are just very good, I'd rather hear all the worthy shit as soon as possible cause my guess is there is enough material that I'd like for a double release.

• GNFNR 1
4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I just assume that because Axl has only released 15 songs in 30 years and multiple sources in the band have said that there is a lot of unreleased material, that it should be relatively easy for Gn'R to release more than just 14 great tunes. (give or take)

a lot of fans around here seem to think Axl got something like 2.5 albums. They can't release a double album with 30 tracks after all these years? even if some tunes are great and some are just very good, I'd rather hear all the worthy shit as soon as possible cause my guess is there is enough material that I'd like for a double release.

He had material for 2.5 albums in 2008 and he wasn't able to release 14 great tunes.

Honestly, GNR struggle to release one god damn song these days and people are dreaming about a double album. :lol:

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

He had material for 2.5 albums in 2008 and he wasn't able to release 14 great tunes.

Honestly, GNR struggle to release one god damn song these days and people are dreaming about a double album. :lol:

"great" is subjective. I like Chinese so I'd be content with another album from Gn'R on that caliber.

my guess is Axl is not interested in just releasing a single tune or an ep. I think he wants to release at least a full album.

The intention to release new music is supported by what Slash has said recently as well and I don't think Axl, Slash, and Duff are lying about having a lot of unreleased material so a double album is not that far fetched imo. (according to Tommy Axl wanted Chinese to be more than 1 cd)

I understand your skepticism though. I just don't think Axl would let Gn'R end without at least attempting to expand the catalog.

Edited by Rovim

What I strongly dislike is this "strictly keep it secret" bullshit. Before Illusions, the guys were talking about the songs. They played them in advance as well. You can actually do an interview without giving too much away, as well as without giving any specific release dates. You determine how far the questions can go. But not saying a single word about anything is just lame, especially in a situation where you don't release anything on any other front (dvds etc.). And I'm convinced Slash has already finished his work on the record. 

• Like 3

Maybe they are silent because there is not anything too talk about?  I wonder why Duff's wife said she was listening to new music when it was apparently not the case?  All very confusing but Slash never sounds very confiident when asked about new music, I will be very surprised if there is any, maybe all this 'hinting' is just a ploy to keep folk on board.  Who knows.

• Like 3