The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

They sould out, in the worst possible way. It is what it is now. It's tragic.

I wholeheartedly believe that they made valiant attempts to engage Axl on these matters only to be met with the type of pushback that can be soul crushing.

I can only imagine “that look” Axl gave them when they were most vocal about recording, laying down tracks or what have you. Coming to the realization that Axl is willing to throw everything away again if things don’t go the way he is intending them to. On his own terms. GNR is undoubtably ruled as a dictatorship. 

• Like 2

A likely scenario: Slash layed down guitar tracks for whatever material they have.

Axl couldn't get out of his way, told Slash to do this and rerecord that again and again.

At one point Slash put his foot down and said "Nope, that's it, that's my contribution. Do whatever with it, I'm gonna do SMKC now. See ya."

Axl sits in his home studio and can't/ won't make a move with what he's got.

Nothing happens.

• Like 2

Has the moment passed for GNR now? The expectation level would be huge and it possibly isn't worth it? It is almost 30 years since the Illusions came out and in that time, Axl has managed to release 1 full album of original material... which was not particularly well received and, in my opinion of course, only has a few good songs on it. He's getting on now, his singing style is pretty demanding at best, his performances have diminished considerably, and he's minted... why bother? Personally, I don't see GNR releasing an album again and think this is just a nostalgia act now. There's little evidence to the contrary really. It's not like the band is on fire... the NITL videos really hit home just what it has become.

Hopefully there will be an anniversary release for the Illusions this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Has the moment passed for GNR now? The expectation level would be huge and it possibly isn't worth it? It is almost 30 years since the Illusions came out and in that time, Axl has managed to release 1 full album of original material... which was not particularly well received and, in my opinion of course, only has a few good songs on it. He's getting on now, his singing style is pretty demanding at best, his performances have diminished considerably, and he's minted... why bother? Personally, I don't see GNR releasing an album again and think this is just a nostalgia act now. There's little evidence to the contrary really. It's not like the band is on fire... the NITL videos really hit home just what it has become.

Yeah, I don't see it happening ever to be honest. I've made peace with it. Will always love the catalogue they have, but won't bother going to see them live anymore, as they sound dreadful and uninspired. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I think they could absolutely still turn things around, but it would be mad to claim they hadn't pissed so much up the wall in the last few years. 

We're at the stage now where massive, long-term fans aren't even bothering to buy tickets for the band when they come to their own city. It's utterly tragic, when you consider how people felt 4/5 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think they could absolutely still turn things around, but it would be mad to claim they hadn't pissed so much up the wall in the last few years. 

We're at the stage now where massive, long-term fans aren't even bothering to buy tickets for the band when they come to their own city. It's utterly tragic, when you consider how people felt 4/5 years ago. 

This. If they came to my town next year without at least playing new music from a forthcoming album and in this form, I wouldn't go for free.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Really? I mean back in 2006, when Axl was really regarded as a joke in the music press, he at least sounded very good live and looked physically fit. These days you can't say that. At all. I have friends who are casual GNR fans at best, and when they have seen pics of Axl or even in concert, they all make the same comment about how much he has changed physically. And not necessarily for the better!

44 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Really? I mean back in 2006, when Axl was really regarded as a joke in the music press, he at least sounded very good live and looked physically fit. These days you can't say that. At all. I have friends who are casual GNR fans at best, and when they have seen pics of Axl or even in concert, they all make the same comment about how much he has changed physically. And not necessarily for the better!

Yeah, I honestly think they could still turn it round. I don't consider them a 'lost cause', because if I did, I probably wouldn't be here. 

I'm not saying that things aren't dissapointing now though of course, just that with new material, some regaining of drive, emotion and motivation, and a bit of passion, they can still be something. 

I've not lost all hope! 

49 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

UYI re-releases in the fall along with new album titled UYI III. I can't think of a better hype strategy.

Dunno how come you haven't noticed it, but Slash is working with SMKC on a new album and it will definitely be released this fall.

152800878_10157741308781921_105764513543

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Dunno how come you haven't noticed it, but Slash is working with SMKC on a new album and it will definitely be released this fall.

152800878_10157741308781921_105764513543

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It used to piss me off a little that Slash wasn't/ isn't fully committed to Guns since his return, but not anymore. What is he supposed to do? I believe he tried. It's Axl. It is what it is and maybe it's too late now.

Slash and Duff are more about money than integrity these days and Axl is Axl. Then, on top of that, you got Fernandon't and all the other people who shouldn't be around.

Oh well.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I honestly think they could still turn it round. I don't consider them a 'lost cause', because if I did, I probably wouldn't be here. 

I'm not saying that things aren't dissapointing now though of course, just that with new material, some regaining of drive, emotion and motivation, and a bit of passion, they can still be something. 

I've not lost all hope! 

You're just setting yourself up for more disappointment at this stage...

The band as a creative entity have been dead in the water for 13 years and counting and there is zero indication that they are even on life support right now. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

The band as a creative entity have been dead in the water for 13 years and counting and there is zero indication that they are even on life support right now. 

I agree with you. I don't expect the band to release new music at all, honestly, but I'd love if they did, someday, maybe 8 years from now. We need to let go...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Oh I get that totally, and I get why people feel that way. I wouldn't say I'm setting myself up for dissapointment, just that I think they COULD still turn it round at this stage. 

I'm not going to defend the way things are at the moment though- the live shows show a very bored and uninterested band, there seems to be no forward motion, etc. I think all these things. I just feel that should the band want to turn it around ( and it really is up to them) they could do so. Whereas others think they couldn't now- that it's too late. 

Just to be clear though- I'm expecting nothing in the way if imminent new music, a new setlist, or new energy as it stands. The signs aren't good at the moment. 

Until they officially call it a day though, who knows? In my view they are all still highly capable and talented people. 

9 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

At this stage, it's still possible,  yes. But highly improbable. That's the reality.

Probably the best way of looking at it. 

I think the only way you're really setting yourself up for dissapointment is if you believe, for example, a new album will appear when touring starts again,or that it's just finished and sitting on a shelf waiting for release. The dissapointment is sort of on you at this stage, if that's the case, as it flies in the face of every learned experience of this band. 

• Like 1