The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But they do. Just because you can't be positive about anything, doesn't mean others can't be. 

Care to list off all the things GN'R fans have to be positive about?  Here's the same reply I gave you yesterday: 

What is it exactly that GN'R fans have to discuss? Is is the tiny amount of original studio material that GN'R released ages ago? Is is the lead singer who sounds terrible in concert with his own band, but fantastic with other bands? Perhaps it's the exact same setlists we should be positive about? Or maybe it's the over priced, terrible quality merch?

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Or because the record company rejected the Chinese stuff and he's very insecure. Axl is not a perfectionist at all.

perfectionism and insecurity go hand in hand imo. The record company thought Chinese could have been better... in 1999.  Maybe they released GH in 2004 cause Axl didn't release Chinese, and they offered Zutaut a bonus if he got the record released in 2002 so they wanted it out, as is I think in that point in time.

Just now, RussTCB said:

Care to list off all the things GN'R fans have to be positive about?  Here's the same reply I gave you yesterday: 

What is it exactly that GN'R fans have to discuss? Is is the tiny amount of original studio material that GN'R released ages ago? Is is the lead singer who sounds terrible in concert with his own band, but fantastic with other bands? Perhaps it's the exact same setlists we should be positive about? Or maybe it's the over priced, terrible quality merch?

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Like what exactly!?

Agree fully on the other points you made by the way.

NITL shows. I have a friend who has been to 5 shows in two years. I have only been to one myself and that's enough, unless they put a new record out and start touring that one. But he still loves them and can't get enough. Good for him. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are still enjoying them. Merchandise. A lot of people like that crap. I personally don't care for it, but each to their own. Official YouTube live videos. For all the criticism it gets on here, there are people who are actually excited about those videos and enjoy them. I can go on, but someone like Russ is just going to laugh about it anyway and dismiss it. I guess the fact that this is positive for some people doesn't mean much to him, because he doesn't care about any of it.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

NITL shows. I have a friend who has been to 5 shows in two years. I have only been to one myself and that's enough, unless they put a new record out and start touring that one. But he still loves them and can't get enough. Good for him. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are still enjoying them. Merchandise. A lot of people like that crap. I personally don't care for it, but each to their own. Official YouTube live videos. For all the criticism it gets on here, there are people who are actually excited about those videos and enjoy them. I can go on, but someone like Russ is just going to laugh about it anyway and dismiss it. I guess the fact that this is positive for some people doesn't mean much to him, because he doesn't care about any of it.

I myself went to 3 NITL shows and was very positive about all 3 of them. It's funny to me that you label me as dismissive when you yourself dismiss my almost 20 year run of defending GN'R at nearly every move, up to and including the NITL tour itself when it started. 

So besides the NITL tour, which started 5 years ago and has gotten progressively worse, what are some other things GN'R has done in the last 5 years that everyone should be positive about? 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I myself went to 3 NITL shows and was very positive about all 3 of them. It's funny to me that you label me as dismissive when you yourself dismiss my almost 20 year run of defending GN'R at nearly every move, up to and including the NITL tour itself when it started. 

So besides the NITL tour, which started 5 years ago and has gotten progressively worse, what are some other things GN'R has done in the last 5 years that everyone should be positive about? 

Wrong. The other day I reacted to the fact that in the last couple of years you have been mostly negative regarding anything GnR related. And I remember several posters agreeing with me, so it's not like it's all in my head. I never commented on your support back in the nu-GnR days or whenever it was. You're just making that up.

I just gave three examples of things that fans can be positive about as a reaction to your claim that ''GN'R never gives anything to their fans to be positive about''. Again, just because you cant be positive about it, doesn't mean other people can't. I'm not going to repeat myself over and over, dude.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yes, okay I get you now. You laid that out well! Cheers! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Things to be positive about:

1. GNR are clever enough not to do something high profile like the Superbowl, so only the hardcore fans know how genuinely terrible Axl sounds 2018-20.

2. Fernando's kids book

3. Slash making up the guitar solos to CD songs on the fly cuz he can't be assed to learn them properly.

4. Melissa is easier on the eyes than Pitman

5. Bumblefoots mental health and productivity has improved tenfold since 2014.

6. They are so desperate for deep cuts now we may eventually hear a live rendition of My World.

7. They don't put out mediocre material, because they don't put out any material at all.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Care to list off all the things GN'R fans have to be positive about? 

I wouldn't say fans have to be positive about anything, but I wouldn't find it surprising if fans were positive about the fact that Guns N' Roses has released great music, played some killer concerts, keeps touring with a really entertaining show, and will likely release original music at some point in the future.

Of course, one can always be negative about the small discography, the declining quality of the shows, absence of favorite members, and all the missed opportunities throughout history, but some people tend to focus on the positives and not the negatives and when all things are considered acknowledge that the band has given them more than most other bands.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Just because a percentage of the fanbase likes those things doesn't mean the fanbase at large should be positive about them though. What everybody wants is music - just check out the comments on their social media.

I also went to 5 shows between 2016-17 and GNR is my favourite band... that doesn't mean I won't call them on their bullshit. The 2017 shows were a noticeable decline and it's only gotten worse since then. The Selects videos were rightfully mocked by the casual audience. Children's books and tasteless t-shirts appeal to a very, very small portion of GNR fans.

Meanwhile, Slash is getting ready to release his 2nd solo album since the reunion began. If anyone has a real reason to be positive, I guess it's Slash fans. :shrugs:

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

It's just that GN'R never gives anything to their fans to be positive about.

Great music and great shows? What else is there really to care about when it comes to music groups? Sure, they haven't released anything in too long and the shows are not exactly getting better (speaking as a guy who even thinks the 90s shows were shit) but we can't just forget the reasons why we like the band just because they are not doing what we want right now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

See, this "defending" shit is the problem I reckon. People have actually defended a band -- as if any band needs their fans defending them -- and thus invested emotionally in the band to the extent of putting their own integrity on the line, and then, when it turns to ash in their mouths, when the band fails to live up to the expectations, they get this emotional backlash that results in them overcompensating by being overly negative. It is like a cognitive dissonance needs rebalancing and this must be done by atoning for stupid previous defending by going far in the other reaction. Stop getting emotionally invested in a band, stop caring so much.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Just because a percentage of the fanbase likes those things doesn't mean the fanbase at large should be positive about them though. What everybody wants is music - just check out the comments on their social media.

I also went to 5 shows between 2016-17 and GNR is my favourite band... that doesn't mean I won't call them on their bullshit. The 2017 shows were a noticeable decline and it's only gotten worse since then. The Selects videos were rightfully mocked by the casual audience. Children's books and tasteless t-shirts appeal to a very, very small portion of GNR fans.

Meanwhile, Slash is getting ready to release his 2nd solo album since the reunion began. If anyone has a real reason to be positive, I guess it's Slash fans. :shrugs:

But that's your opinion, though. And that's cool. I'm not attacking Russ' opinion on not being positive about anything either. That's up to him. It's all subjective anyway. My only argument is that he can't speak for other people. There are plenty of people who are positive about the things I mentioned. Sure, a lot of them aren't, but that's beside the point.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Great music and great shows? What else is there really to care about when it comes to music groups? Sure, they haven't released anything in too long and the shows are not exactly getting better (speaking as a guy who even thinks the 90s shows were shit) but we can't just forget the reasons why we like the band just because they are not doing what we want right now. 

Some of you need to stop ass licking this pathetic band so much. No other major band has pulled the kind of shit GNR have since 1993. One album 94-2020 is downright lazy. It's only because they managed to capture lightning in a bottle from 87-93 that they have gotten away with the shit they have. 

Axl deserves to be called out for the fraud he is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

People aren't forgetting the reasons they like the band though. They're just saying that, right now, things are a bit grim - the shows don't look like the band care much anymore, and that's about all we're getting. 

It's totally normal to be not very happy about that, as fans, and still love the band isn't it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Some of you need to stop ass licking this pathetic band so much. No other major band has pulled the kind of shit GNR have since 1993. One album 94-2020 is downright lazy. It's only because they managed to capture lightning in a bottle from 87-93 that they have gotten away with the shit they have. 

Axl deserves to be called out for the fraud he is.

Sorry, did I say it wasn't lazy? I bet it is VERY lazy. What I said amounted to: I am not going to slag one of my favorite bands just because they haven't been able to release music in a long while and because they are not as exciting live today as they was in the 80s when I kind of preferred them. That would be a bit silly of me. It is what it is and all things must come to an end. Doesn't affect my appreciation of the band's music one tiny little bit. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Sorry, did I say it wasn't lazy? I bet it is VERY lazy. What I said amounted to: I am not going to slag one of my favorite bands just because they haven't been able to release music in a long while and because they are not as exciting live today as they was in the 80s when I kind of preferred them. That would be a bit silly of me. It is what it is and all things must come to an end. Doesn't affect my appreciation of the band's music one tiny little bit. 

Isn't saying "all things must come to an end" like writing them off though? Saying they WERE a great band, but aren't anymore? Is that how you view them? 

I mean, no problem if it is....just wondering! 

Just now, allwaystired said:

People aren't forgetting the reasons they like the band though. They're just saying that, right now, things are a bit grim - the shows don't look like the band care much anymore, and that's about all we're getting. 

It's totally normal to be not very happy about that, as fans, and still love the band isn't it? 

I personally haven't enjoyed the shows much since the 80s and stopped caring for anything but new original music back then. I just find the concept of complaining about an artist not being as good as they were a bit strange. It suggests that people are emotionally invested in the band's development. And I am just not there. The retort would be to claim I am not really much of a fan, but of course I like the music and I will be thrilled when I get to hear new music. 

Going back to the original question: yes, of course there are tons of stuff to be positive about GN'R right now, if you like what is happening. If you don't, that's fine too. I just don't get how people get so emotional over stuff like this. That a band gets worse is the natural progression. Just accept it and listen to other bands.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Wrong. The other day I reacted to the fact that in the last couple of years you have been mostly negative regarding anything GnR related. And I remember several posters agreeing with me, so it's not like it's all in my head. I never commented on your support back in the nu-GnR days or whenever it was. You're just making that up.

I just gave three examples of things that fans can be positive about as a reaction to your claim that ''GN'R never gives anything to their fans to be positive about''. Again, just because you cant be positive about it, doesn't mean other people can't. I'm not going to repeat myself over and over, dude.

Had to use the laughing emojii again when I know how much that upsets you. Your continued attempts and complete failures at insults just require that as a response lol

36 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Things to be positive about:

1. GNR are clever enough not to do something high profile like the Superbowl, so only the hardcore fans know how genuinely terrible Axl sounds 2018-20.

2. Fernando's kids book

3. Slash making up the guitar solos to CD songs on the fly cuz he can't be assed to learn them properly.

4. Melissa is easier on the eyes than Pitman

5. Bumblefoots mental health and productivity has improved tenfold since 2014.

6. They are so desperate for deep cuts now we may eventually hear a live rendition of My World.

7. They don't put out mediocre material, because they don't put out any material at all.

Sadly all of those are true but I have to say I'm most happy about #5 :)

31 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I wouldn't say fans have to be positive about anything, but I wouldn't find it surprising if fans were positive about the fact that Guns N' Roses has released great music, played some killer concerts, keeps touring with a really entertaining show, and will likely release original music at some point in the future.

Of course, one can always be negative about the small discography, the declining quality of the shows, absence of favorite members, and all the missed opportunities throughout history, but some people tend to focus on the positives and not the negatives and when all things are considered acknowledge that the band has given them more than most other bands.

Right and my point is that the users on here (myself included) are happy to be positive about the positive things. It's not any of our fault that GN'R gives their fans more things to be negative about it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Isn't saying "all things must come to an end" like writing them off though? Saying they WERE a great band, but aren't anymore? Is that how you view them? 

I mean, no problem if it is....just wondering! 

As far as live shows go, I was a huge fan of the sleazy, hard-rocking AFD lineup. When it was a club band. When they were young and hungry. I stopped caring about the live shows in the 90s when I felt they had lost it, when I felt they became a bloated circus. I still liked the albums though. And I haven't written them off as recoding artists, funnily enough! I still believe we will get to hear new music, and knowing there is unreleased music, I would actually be really disappointed if we didn't.

As a live force, though, I don't really care much. I recognize that they are getting poorer and I expect this to continue. As long as people still attend the shows I expect it is still entertaining enough. So respect to them for that.  

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Had to use the laughing emojii again when I know how much that upsets you. Your continued attempts and complete failures at insults just require that as a response lol

Sadly all of those are true but I have to say I'm most happy about #5 :)

Why are you so sensitive? I'm sincerely asking, Russ.

Not once did I insult you. Not once. 

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The great music and great shows GN'R provided for their fans has been discussed to death ages again when they actually happened. Even when those things come up, they're still spoken highly of. 

Just now, EvanG said:

Why are you so senstive? I'm sincerely asking, Russ.

Not once did I insult you. Not once. 

I didn't say you've insulted me. I said you've attempted several times and failed :)

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

See, this "defending" shit is the problem I reckon. People have actually defended a band -- as if any band needs their fans defending them -- and thus invested emotionally in the band to the extent of putting their own integrity on the line, and then, when it turns to ash in their mouths, when the band fails to live up to the expectations, they get this emotional backlash that results in them overcompensating by being overly negative. It is like a cognitive dissonance needs rebalancing and this must be done by atoning for stupid previous defending by going far in the other reaction. Stop getting emotionally invested in a band, stop caring so much.

You think GN'Rs track record doesn't need defending or justification? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

The great music and great shows GN'R provided for their fans has been discussed to death ages again when they actually happened. Even when those things come up, they're still spoken highly of. 

I didn't say you've insulted me. I said you've attempted several times and failed :)

Yes, so how exactly did I try to insult you? Come on then... tell me, I'm dying to know.

Just now, RussTCB said:

Right and my point is that the users on here (myself included) are happy to be positive about the positive things. It's not any of our fault that GN'R gives their fans more things to be negative about it. 

That's all fine, just accept that some people actually don't agree with you on this. Some fans appreciate the live shows and the merch. God knows why but it takes all kinds and all that. It was the notion that one cannot possibly like GN'R anno 2021 without being mad or something, that came off as a bit blockheaded. We are all different. And in general, and despite feeling myself a bit on the outside since I haven't really been emotionally invested in the band for a long time, I appreciate people who either look at the glass as half-full or go somewhere else if they don't, more than people who are just negative over and over. Both because it sets a sour mood but also because of what is suggests of themselves and how emotionally attached they are at something as insignificant as a rock band and its inevitable end times.

• Like 1