Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

But why would you want to? I don;'t really understand why, if (as you say) you don't really care, it matters if people that do care are pissed off? 

Because it sets a sour tone that results in people staying away from expressing their positive opinions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why on earth would I defend why a band I have no connection with has failed to release more music than they have? The idea of me defending a band is entirely alien to me. It is not MY band. It is not my job to defend their decisions.

Do I think the band ought to defend their poor productivity? No, because they don't owe us anything. There is nothing to defend. An artist is free to release as much as they want. There is no obligations to us. I would appreciate some explanations for why it is so hard for them, though, but I think I know the reasons already.

Haha the old "they don't owe us anything" argument again. At no point have I said GN'R owes us anything. 

And I guess that's a difference between you and I (which is fine of course, different strokes and all that): personally I feel a very strong connection to music as an art form, enough so that I have strong opinions on the artists that create it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoulMonster said:

Because it sets a sour tone that results in people staying away from expressing their positive opinions?

So we should all be positive about the poor shows, in case it stops people saying they like them? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

So you can't even tell me? Haha... I figured.

I'm not going to list off your attempts to insult me because it's not worth the time to go back and find them for you. Your post history is out in the open though, so you should he able to re-read them for yourself. 

Just now, allwaystired said:

So we should all be positive about the poor shows, in case it stops people saying they like them? 

 

Apparently? Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm not going to list off your attempts to insult me because it's not worth the time to go back and find them for you. Your post history is out in the open though, so you should he able to re-read them for yourself. 

Apparently? Lol

You can't find them because they're not there. The only name I called you on here was ''dude'', which was meant to be positive, and other than that I haven't said anything that isn't true. You don't have to agree with me, but don't say things that aren't true. That's not the proper way to have a discussion, Russ.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You can't find them because they're not there. The only name I called you on here was ''dude'', which was meant to be positive, and other than that I haven't said anything that isn't true. You don't have to agree with me, but don't say things that aren't true. That's not the proper way to have a discussion, Russ.

Here again, you've attempted to call me a lair and then go on to suggest that I don't know how to have a discussion. Are these not attempted insults? 

And "you don't have to agree with me" is rich coming from the person who stops by the thread just to tell everyone that they have to be positive about GN'R 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

And I would flip that around and say that those who can't comprehend that many, many people feel the opposite need to way need to understand that other people have a different opinion. It's totally OK for people to express a negative opinion of the band, just like it's totally OK for people to express positive opinions too. 

Oh, I think we comprehend why people complain :) It is not a matter of not comprehending why people are disappointed, but asking why they feel a need to so often express that negative opinion, as if they are personally insulted by a rock band not living up to their expectations. I don't see what is constructive about the n'th post about how shitty something is. It doesn't reflect well on the emotional state on whoever expresses them when what we are talking about is a mere rock band.  

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Haha the old "they don't owe us anything" argument again. At no point have I said GN'R owes us anything. 

And I guess that's a difference between you and I (which is fine of course, different strokes and all that): personally I feel a very strong connection to music as an art form, enough so that I have strong opinions on the artists that create it.

Oh, I don't care about artists one iota, I care about the music. It is the music that gives me an escape, the music that helps me in bad times, the music that gives me a high. Not the artists. I appreciate what they do, but that's about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RussTCB said:

Here again, you've attempted to call me a lair and then go on to suggest that I don't know how to have a discussion. Are these not attempted insults? 

And "you don't have to agree with me" is rich coming from the person who stops by the thread just to tell everyone that they have to be positive about GN'R 

You just refuse to react to what I actually said. If you actually bothered to read my posts you would know that I have said many times that I understand the criticism, the disappointment, the fact that people are negative, but that I don't understand why people repeat themselves over and over. 

As for calling you a liar. Wrong. You have put words in my mouth that I never said more than once. Yesterday during our conversation and today as well. I don't know why you do this. So again my advice is, stick to what is actually being said. It prevents a lot of confusion.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, I don't care about artists one iota, I care about the music. It is the music that gives me an escape, the music that helps me in bad times, the music that gives me a high. Not the artists. I appreciate what they do, but that's about it. 

Right on and that's totally fine of course. Different strokes, as I said. That's what makes the world go around. 

I love the hell out of the music GN'R has made. Where it gets to a gray area for me is where the artist has made claims about what's to come, etc. When that turns out to be untrue several times over, that's when many of us end up irritated with the artist. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

So we should all be positive about the poor shows, in case it stops people saying they like them? 

No, that's not what I am saying at all. It is the constant barrage of negative posts from single posters that is a bit over the top and unnecessary. This is a discussion forum and then one is allowed and encouraged to have different opinions, but when some negative people gets to set the tone and make posts that make it seem almost wrong to be positive, that sets a sour mood that might result in dissenting voices staying silent. And don't think for one second I am arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to complain, complain, complain, I am just asking them - why bother? Maybe this band isn't for you anymore? Maybe some stoicism would reflect better on yourself? Maybe find out what in life is bothering you so much you take it out on something as trivial as a band not being great anymore? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

And I would flip that around and say that those who can't comprehend that many, many people feel the opposite need to way need to understand that other people have a different opinion. It's totally OK for people to express a negative opinion of the band, just like it's totally OK for people to express positive opinions too. 

there's a nice balance here of both critical and positive opinions I've always thought. Some are more invested than others so they get more frustrated with the lack of progress.

I think a rock band can be a big part of someone's life cause not every special part of life that a person can be passionate about is always of great significance in the grand scheme of things.

There are more important things than music and there is a lot of it but no other band sounds like Gn'R so other bands don't provide me with the same thrill of listening to a new Gn'R tune for example.

Other bands give me what they have to offer and it's just a different flavor so I get why for some it's just a bummer when their favorite band doesn't do much and seeing how this is a fan forum I think it's ok to sometimes express frustration that the main new Gn'R product you can buy in 2021 is Slash's pinball machine.

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

You just refuse to react to what I actually said. If you actually bothered to read my posts you would know that I have said many times that I understand the criticism, the disappointment, the fact that people are negative, but that I don't understand why people repeat themselves over and over. 

As for calling you a liar. Wrong. You have put words in my mouth that I never said more than once. Yesterday during our conversation and today as well. I don't know why you do this. So again my advice is, stick to what is actually being said. It prevents a lot of confusion.  

You've now said I say things that aren't true in your last two posts. Is this not the definition of a liar?

For my part, there's no confusion so I'm all set. I understand if you're confused though seeing as you keep saying things, then saying you don't say them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I love the hell out of the music GN'R has made. Where it gets to a gray area for me is where the artist has made claims about what's to come, etc. When that turns out to be untrue several times over, that's when many of us end up irritated with the artist. 

Sure, I get that. You have every right to call an artist out over failed delivery. I am certainly not defending Axl's inability to release music or his many suggestions we would get to hear new music. I just don't get my panties in a knot over it, especially considering that I got used to it back in the 90s, and you aren't exactly a new kid on the block, either. But we have had this discussion before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

there's a nice balance here of both critical and positive opinions I've always thought. Some are more invested than others so they get more frustrated with the lack of progress.

I think a rock band can be a big part of someone's life cause not every special part of life that a person can be passionate about is always of great significance in the grand scheme of things.

There are more important things than music and there is a lot of it but no other band sounds like Gn'R so other bands don't provide me with the same thrill of listening to a new Gn'R tune for example.

Other bands give me what they have to offer and it's just a different flavor so I get why for some it's just a bummer when their favorite band doesn't do much and seeing how this is a fan forum I think it's ok to sometimes express frustration that the main new Gn'R product you can buy in 2021 is Slash's pinball machine.

Totally agree with all of this. The only thing I even argue about on here anymore is when people accuse me and a few others of always being negative. I don't even the time or energy for the rest of it anymore 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Sure, I get that. You have every right to call an artist out over failed delivery. I am certainly not defending Axl's inability to release music or his many suggestions we would get to hear new music. I just don't get my panties in a knot over it, especially considering that I got used to it back in the 90s, and you aren't exactly a new kid on the block, either. But we have had this discussion before.

Yeah, I certainly don't get upset over it at all. What a waste of my life that would be! Getting all upset over Axl's failure to live up to his own potential? That's not something for me to waste my life on lol 

However, I will definitely call a spade a spade when I stop by to post. Doesn't mean I'm mad and it certainly doesn't mean I sit around wasting my life worried about what GN'R may or may kit do. On the other hand, it doesn't mean that I'm going to pretend all is good with them when I stop by the forum. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You've now said I say things that aren't true in your last two posts. Is this not the definition of a liar?

For my part, there's no confusion so I'm all set. I understand if you're confused though seeing as you keep saying things, then saying you don't say them. 

Too many times now have you put words in my mouth that I never said. I'm not saying you do that on purpose, hence saying ''I don't know why you do this'' in my previous post. When you're not posting in the GnR section I find you most of the time reasonable, but here you often seem to be different during a discussion, so I really don't know why you do this. That is not me claiming you to be a liar. Maybe you're having problems understanding what I am saying? Again, I don't know.

But I'm getting a bit tired of this. I only reacted to your initial post because your claim was incorrect and I know this because I know enough people who have been very positive about the band, even in the last couple of years. But I guess you can't comprehend that. Oh well. Too bad. Bye for now.

(don't forget to react to this again by using the laughing emoticon like you do with all my posts. I'd be disappointed if you didn't.)

Edited by EvanG
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, that's not what I am saying at all. It is the constant barrage of negative posts from single posters that is a bit over the top and unnecessary. This is a discussion forum and then one is allowed and encouraged to have different opinions, but when some negative people gets to set the tone and make posts that make it seem almost wrong to be positive, that sets a sour mood that might result in dissenting voices staying silent. And don't think for one second I am arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to complain, complain, complain, I am just asking them - why bother? Maybe this band isn't for you anymore? Maybe some stoicism would reflect better on yourself? Maybe find out what in life is bothering you so much you take it out on something as trivial as a band not being great anymore? 

For most people a band isn't something trivial. It's something that has had a significant meaning throughout their lives. It's something they feel connected to emotionally. Not getting these kind of emotions is just beyond me - especially when it comes to ones favourite band. I think people who are emotionally invested in their favourite band as much as they are in their tax reports are just weird.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Too many times now have you put words in my mouth that I never said. I'm not saying you do that on purpose, hence saying ''I don't know why you do this'' in my previous post. When you're not posting in the GnR section I find you most of the time reasonable, but here you often seem to be different during a discussion, so I really don't know why you do this. That is not me claiming you to be a liar. Maybe you're have problems understanding what I am saying? Again, I don't know.

But I'm getting a bit tired of this. I only reacted to your initial post because your claim was incorrect and I know this because I know enough people who have been very positive about the band, even in the last couple of years. But I guess you can't comprehend that. Oh well. Too bad. Bye for now.

(don't forget to react to this again by using the laughing emoticon like you do with all my posts. I'd be disappointed if you didn't.)

Looks like you're going to be disappointed this time out :) also, another solid attempt at insulting me with your "maybe you're having problems understanding me" bit. In case you're looking for examples of where you attempted to insult me, you can start with this one. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I certainly don't get upset over it at all. What a waste of my life that would be! Getting all upset over Axl's failure to live up to his own potential? That's not something for me to waste my life on lol 

However, I will definitely call a spade a spade when I stop by to post. Doesn't mean I'm mad and it certainly doesn't mean I sit around wasting my life worried about what GN'R may or may kit do. On the other hand, it doesn't mean that I'm going to pretend all is good with them when I stop by the forum. 

That's an interesting thought: That you have to be negative otherwise you come across as pretending everything is good. What I do, is simply not to usually express my negative opinions and to hell with people who think this means I am all positive about it. Mostly because my opinions re: Gn'R aren't really strong to the extent where I would start complaining on a fan forum -- I mean, I have real negative stuff in my life to deal with, stuff that actually affect me, not the inevitable decline of a rock band -- but also because I don't want to come across as negative. Negative people are the worst. Sorry! Especially when one knows how great they are when they are positive. And sure, if pressed I will be entirely honest about the negative sides about Guns N' Roses, they way I see them, I just don't think it is necessarily worth always expressing them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

 

 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, that's not what I am saying at all. It is the constant barrage of negative posts from single posters that is a bit over the top and unnecessary. This is a discussion forum and then one is allowed and encouraged to have different opinions, but when some negative people gets to set the tone and make posts that make it seem almost wrong to be positive, that sets a sour mood that might result in dissenting voices staying silent. And don't think for one second I am arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to complain, complain, complain, I am just asking them - why bother? Maybe this band isn't for you anymore? Maybe some stoicism would reflect better on yourself? Maybe find out what in life is bothering you so much you take it out on something as trivial as a band not being great anymore? 

But my point is that while you may see it as 'trivial' a lot of people are really passionate about GNR. Hence why they're on a forum, discussing them. I don't see this "constant barrage of negative posts from single posters" at all. I see a lot of discussions going on, involving a lot of different people. It's absurd to claim that dissenting voices stay silent - there are constant debates on here, about all sorts. 

If a lot of people are unhappy, well, that's just going to be represented by what people are saying. And the truth of the matter is that most people seem unhappy at present. They complain because they care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't be here. That you don't care is fine, and good for you, but if people do care, and they're pissed off, then they'e going to say so. The 'why are they here' argument is simply that - because they like/care about what GNR are doing. 

Hey, if you want to see negative, go and have a look at some other GNR places - most notably their social media platforms! Absolutely brutal. This forum is arguably one of the most positive places online for GNR discussion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Looks like you're going to be disappointed this time out :) also, another solid attempt at insulting me with your "maybe you're having problems understanding me" bit. In case you're looking for examples of where you attempted to insult me, you can start with this one. 

 

How is that an insult? It can be just as easily my doing. Especially when I'm typing fast (like I am doing now) I can be confusing in my writings. And English not being my first language, sometimes my grammar, or whatever, not always being perfect and causing confusion. See, this is what I mean, sorry, but you're really pushing it now. I'm done with you, man. Fucking hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

For most people a band isn't something trivial. It's something that has had a significant meaning throughout their lives. It's something they feel connected to emotionally. Not getting these kind of emotions is just beyond me - especially when it comes to ones favourite band. I think people who are emotionally invested in their favourite band as much as they are in their tax reports are just weird.

I think people who get emotionally invested in either a band or tax reports are weird. I get emotionally invested in music, or more like music emotionally moves me. But that is something different, I think.

Still, I think it is possible to like the band yet not be overly negative when things aren't exactly going as you want. And again, I don't have a problem with the occasional negative posts, either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

That's an interesting thought: That you have to be negative otherwise you come across as pretending everything is good. What I do, is simply not to usually express my negative opinions and to hell with people who think this means I am all positive about it. Mostly because my opinions re: Gn'R aren't really strong to the extent where I would start complaining on a fan forum -- I mean, I have real negative stuff in my life to deal with, stuff that actually affect me, not the inevitable decline of a rock band -- but also because I don't want to come across as negative. Negative people are the worst. Sorry! Especially when one knows how great they are when they are positive. And sure, if pressed I will be entirely honest about the negative sides about Guns N' Roses, they way I see them, I just don't think it is necessarily worth always expressing them. 

No, I wasn't saying that you must be positive or negative. What I was saying is that if people aren't posting only positive things, other users seem to think they must be negative. 

I totally agree that negative people are the worst. I myself try to surround myself with as many positive people as possible. That's why it's hilarious to me when I come on here get accused of being a negative person by a very few people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

How is that an insult? It can be just as easily my doing. Especially when I'm typing fast (like I am doing now) I can be confusing in my writings. And English not being my first language, sometimes my grammar, or whatever, not always being perfect and causing confusion. See, this is what I mean, sorry, but you're really pushing it now. I'm done with you, man. Fucking hell.

You continue to attempt to insult me, but I'm the one pushing it? Are you just posting jokes for lulz now? 

As far as being done with me, you're always welcome to use that block button :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...