The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'd be very much keen on that scenario! Not that it's remotely going to happen of course....but if it were to, it would be great. 

I do sometimes wonder if Slash was to leave again whether that would make new material more likely. Without him any draw they have as a nostalgia act is gone. 

What, why, how!? The band has released one single album without Slash! The 2002 line up literally managed a few gigs and then split. In the 5 years before Slash rejoined the band, they were literally just touring. There was no new music, concert attendances were low and it didn't sound all that happy a camp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

What, why, how!? The band has released one single album without Slash! The 2002 line up literally managed a few gigs and then split. In the 5 years before Slash rejoined the band, they were literally just touring. There was no new music, concert attendances were low and it didn't sound all that happy a camp. 

Well, my thinking was that without Slash they'd simply HAVE to do or release something, as they'd have no other option. Touring would be of so little interest to people that it might force them to make progress in other areas. 

Just a theory obviously! I fully realise it would never happen! 

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I do sometimes wonder if Slash was to leave again whether that would make new material more likely. Without him any draw they have as a nostalgia act is gone. 

I wonder about that myself. 

If such an event happens, I wonder if they would use the CD-era guitar work from Robin, Bucket, Bumble, etc. 

I know my opinion is not shared by many here, but on an eventual new album, I believe at least some of Robin and Buckethead's material will be intact on that work. Much like many parts and even solos on CD were by Buckethead who had left years prior to release. Most casual fans won't know the difference anyways.

Best case, if all instrumental work is re-recorded, Slash does the Robin/DJ parts, and 4tus does the Buckethead parts. I hope they keep Brain on the drums like they did most of CD, but who knows. Frank will probably have a bigger presence on the next album. I didn't mind his work on CD, but it's really hard to replace Brain, who replaced Josh. What a mess of an album it will be, I fear. 

If the next album is CD2 material heavy (which I assume it is) many of the songs will be 15-20+ years old, so it will be worse than 2008's CD from an overproduction cut and paste standpoint, that is unless they strip the overly complex stuff down a bit, who knows. I would very much prefer they leave CD2 alone and do their own album, maybe turn both into a double album release. That would be a cool transition into the current lineup from an album standpoint. 

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'd be very much keen on that scenario! Not that it's remotely going to happen of course....but if it were to, it would be great. 

Well, it would take a huge blow out for Slash to consider leaving, so I think it's very unlikely... but still possible. IF he did leave GNR would never release anything again, and I wouldn't be confident that Axl would continue on without him. I think Axl prefers how people like him now, so going it alone and having people say he pushed Slash out for a 2nd time probably wouldn't be high on his list at his age, and with his current healthy bank balance.

Basically outside of some all encompassing CD era release 30 years from now, I really can't imagine hearing most of the material Axl has... there's still a chance he gets a flood of enthusiasm and releases the lot... but it's unlikely. OR he PMs me here and sends me a link to his google drive🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

If such an event happens, I wonder if they would use the CD-era guitar work from Robin, Bucket, Bumble, etc. 

I know my opinion is not shared by many here, but on an eventual new album, I believe at least some of Robin and Buckethead's material will be intact on that work. Much like many parts and even solos on CD were by Buckethead who had left years prior to release. Most casual fans won't know the difference anyways.

Best case, if all instrumental work is re-recorded, Slash does the Robin/DJ parts, and 4tus does the Buckethead parts. I hope they keep Brain on the drums like they did most of CD, but who knows. Frank will probably have a bigger presence on the next album. I didn't mind his work on CD, but it's really hard to replace Brain, who replaced Josh. What a mess of an album it will be, I fear. 

If the next album is CD2 material heavy (which I assume it is) many of the songs will be 15-20+ years old, so it will be worse than 2008's CD from an overproduction cut and paste standpoint, that is unless they strip the overly complex stuff down a bit, who knows. I would very much prefer they leave CD2 alone and do their own album, maybe turn both into a double album release. That would be a cool transition into the current lineup from an album standpoint. 

Well, if Slash leaves again, it's over.

And with all due respect, they (Axl) really can keep his CD 2 shit. The window for that is closed. He had 6 years to release that shit. If they do a new album with Slash, I want nothing of that crap and certainly no recordings of other musicians on it (wouldn't they have to pay those other musicians if they put out the stuff they've recordet?). I want a new album, played from scratch, by the people who are in the band now. Otherwise it's just better they keep on touring on the old stuff and release nothing at all.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

What if they break up again, Bucket and Brain return, they go back and finish what they started with the Village material and release a double album.

Since money is in touring more than albums, I think that the combo of a near-60 Axl without the people everyone wants to see in GNR in the form of Slash, would kill them off.  Axl was able to keep it going in the late-90s and early 2000s because after quite a few years of nothing his version of GNR was the closest anyone could get to the "real thing" (public perception wise)

But nobody would be interested in a version of GNR with a near-60 year old Axl without Slash when they have just had 5 years of nonstop Slash being in the band, beyond the hardcore fans here who would download the Village Session stuff in the first place

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

This sounds absolutely awful! A cut and paste jobs of songs recorded with musicians who have been out of the band for 20 years, who had zero connection sonically to the original GNR, updated with new contributions from current band, sprawled over a double album!? This does not sound a good idea!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Well, my thinking was that without Slash they'd simply HAVE to do or release something, as they'd have no other option. Touring would be of so little interest to people that it might force them to make progress in other areas. 

You could have made that argument at any point over the past 30 years. The reality is, one album in that time... and lots of touring in the past 15 years.

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

But nobody would be interested in a version of GNR with a near-60 year old Axl without Slash when they have just had 5 years of nonstop Slash being in the band, beyond the hardcore fans here who would download the Village Session stuff in the first place

You mean the greatest never released album of all time that would have undoubtedly rocked the world to its core had it been released at any point ever!? Haha! 

6 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well, if Slash leaves again, it's over.

And with all due respect, they (Axl) really can keep his CD 2 shit. The window for that is closed. He had 6 years to release that shit. If they do a new album with Slash, I want nothing of that crap and certainly no recordings of other musicians on it (wouldn't they have to pay those other musicians if they put out the stuff they've recordet?). I want a new album, played from scratch, by the people who are in the band now. Otherwise it's just better they keep on touring on the old stuff and release nothing at all.

I don't see how that's better. You seem to prefer nothing over something that you haven't even heard yet. Chinese was basically the same thing with Brain and Frank replacing Josh and Bucket, Fortus, and Bumble added to what was supposed to be only Paul and Robin initially. Maybe Slash can make it sound more organic just because he is a big part of the classic Gn'R sound.

some ideas look terrible on paper but they're just an approach that is taken for a good reason. (in Axl's case, I think that maybe he wants to connect a good idea with a good idea and he might not care that both are from totally different eras)

I wish Axl would just release the completed second half of Chinese without adding anything to it and would let the current lineup play new shit from scratch like you said, but my guess is Axl might view his best unreleased material as just good tunes that deserve to be a part of the next Gn'R album. Really gave the vibe in the China Exchange interview that if Slash and Duff want to be a part of it cool, if not, he's not going to scrap CD era material.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I don't see how that's better. You seem to prefer nothing over something that you haven't even heard yet. Chinese was basically the same thing with Brain and Frank replacing Josh and Bucket, Fortus, and Bumble added to what was supposed to be only Paul and Robin initially. Maybe Slash can make it sound more organic just because he is a big part of the classic Gn'R sound.

some ideas look terrible on paper but they're just an approach that is taken for a good reason. (in Axl's case, I think that maybe he wants to connect a good idea with a good idea and he might not care that both are from totally different eras)

I wish Axl would just release the completed second half of Chinese without adding anything to it and would let the current lineup play new shit from scratch like you said, but my guess is Axl might view his best unreleased material as just good tunes that deserve to be a part of the next Gn'R album. Really gave the vibe in the China Exchange interview that if Slash and Duff want to be a part of it cool, if not, he's not going to scrap CD era material.

I wouldn't even mind using old ideas. If a song is good and fits within the GNR context, use it, by all means (only though if it is written by Axl). But rerecord it. Have current members give their input and not use shit by members who aren't in the band since +/- a decade.

As for CD2... that window has closed and only will open itself up again after Axl's death.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I wouldn't even mind using old ideas. If a song is good and fits within the GNR context, use it, by all means (only though if it is written by Axl). But rerecord it. Have current members give their input and not use shit by members who aren't in the band since +/- a decade.

As for CD2... that window has closed and only will open itself up again after Axl's death.

why is the window closed if almost no one has heard it? what does it matter who wrote it if they were a part of Gn'R at some point or it's like a West Arkeen situation? if Paul for example wrote a great tune that Axl finished, I think it should be released. Slash and Fortus can rerecord.

I think it's likely Axl will rerecord some stuff like he did with Bucket, Frank, and Bumble but why would he rerecord something like a Beltrami orchestration if it's great?

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I would agree with all that. Axl had 20+ years to validate the post-Slash era by releasing new music. It didn't happen. The time, and indeed band members, has now passed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Draguns said:

With all due respect, people really need to stop wishing for  Buckethead and Finck to return. The reality is that if Slash leaves for a second time, GNR would be over. 

Agreed. I really don't understand all this chat from folks lavishing praise on the 2002 line up like it achieved anything great. This is the same line up that gave the disastrous VMA performance. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Agreed. I really don't understand all this chat from folks lavishing praise on the 2002 line up like it achieved anything great. This is the same line up that gave the disastrous VMA performance. 

not much to understand if you like Chinese and/or the 2002 shows. That 1 album is a great achievement cause I like it. The 2002 lineup was a big part of it and the fact that Axl had a happy accident and found 2 guitar players that sound that good together to my ears at least (Bucket and Robin) and they both agreed to join Gn'R is pretty great imho.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not much to understand if you like Chinese. That 1 album is a great achievement cause I like it. The 2002 lineup was a big part of it and the fact that Axl had a happy accident and found 2 guitar players that sound that good together to my ears at least (Bucket and Robin) and they both agreed to join Gn'R is pretty great imho.

Fair play if that's what ya like. It's obviously subjective. To my ears, there are some really good tracks on the album (e.g. Better, There Was A Time, Madagascar, and Sorry), but there is a load of utter stinkers too (e.g. Scraped, Rhiad & The Bedouins, This I Love, and Catcher In The Rye). I generally find the production pretty hideous as well, however accept that it would not have been an easy job to mix that album. There's just too much going on in places. I don't think the 2002 lineup can really be considered a success though? Overall, in context of GNR history.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I don't think the 2002 lineup can really be considered a success though? Overall, in context of GNR history.

commercial success? no. I believe Axl had big plans for that lineup. Artistically? for me, definitely.

29 minutes ago, Nesret said:

That would be a nightmare... no regular albums and singles anymore, no stunning live performances to experience... oh wait - that was another band.

Say what you will. Fact is that NITL tour gave stunning performances. Also we do know that there has been work done on a new GNR album with Slash and Duff on it. The question is that when will that album be released.  

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It would be cool if they released a double album, one side titled 'Guns' and the other 'Roses". They could chuck the new stuff on the first album and the rehashed CD stuff on the latter. It's also sort of a throwback to what they did with AFD.

A man can dream, lol.

That is really good idea!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That is really good idea!

Double albums are rarely a really good idea, in my opinion! But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've not had as much as a single, and now there is talk of a double album!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Double albums are rarely a really good idea, in my opinion! But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've not had as much as a single, and now there is talk of a double album!  

look at it this way: Chinese was supposed to be a double album (or at least more than 1 cd according to Tommy)

Duff has said more than once that Axl got a ton of unreleased material and by now I believe most of it is already completed (Chinese era version)

also only 1 album released in 30 years and Axl is not getting any younger. The advantage of releasing double the amount of material could be significant to the live shows too instead of waiting 5 or 10 more years to release another album that might never come and Axl could be too old to sing the shit out of it live like he did in 2006, 2007, and 2010 with Chinese.

it's not like they have to write another album just to make it a double release so if Axl releases just 1, it probably means a lot of great tunes would be just left in his hard drives.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

look at it this way: Chinese was supposed to be a double album (or at least more than 1 cd according to Tommy)

Duff has said more than once that Axl got a ton of unreleased material and by now I believe most of it is already completed (Chinese era version)

also only 1 album released in 30 years and Axl is not getting any younger. The advantage of releasing double the amount of material could be significant to the live shows too instead of waiting 5 or 10 more years to release another album that might never come and Axl could be too old to sing the shit out of it live like he did in 2006, 2007, and 2010 with Chinese.

it's not like they have to write another album just to make it a double release so if Axl releases just 1, it probably means a lot of great tunes would be just left in his hard drives.

Artists are tending to release albums that are shorter in length these days. Case in point - latest Foo Fighters album; clocks in at just under 40 minutes. Just like the old days. Young folk are not buying CDs and whilst there is an increase in vinyl, it doesn't compete against streaming services. Saturation is generally not a good idea. The idea that GNR can release a double album and succeed commercially in today's climate is not all that aligned to reality, in my view. Personally I hate double albums for the very reason that they are just too bloody long! 

In all honesty, do you see GNR touring in 10 years time? It had not occurred to me until now that he will be approaching 70!