The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

look at it this way: Chinese was supposed to be a double album (or at least more than 1 cd according to Tommy)

Duff has said more than once that Axl got a ton of unreleased material and by now I believe most of it is already completed (Chinese era version)

also only 1 album released in 30 years and Axl is not getting any younger. The advantage of releasing double the amount of material could be significant to the live shows too instead of waiting 5 or 10 more years to release another album that might never come and Axl could be too old to sing the shit out of it live like he did in 2006, 2007, and 2010 with Chinese.

it's not like they have to write another album just to make it a double release so if Axl releases just 1, it probably means a lot of great tunes would be just left in his hard drives.

But instead of releasing a double album it would just make more sense to release one album now and the other next year. They also can't just dump 10 new songs into a live set.

• Like 1

If they released one side of new stuff and the other old revamped stuff, Axl would inevitably expose himself to severe comparisons. And I don't think that's something he'd want, especially considering the whole NuGNR/CD was his personal baby of a sort... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

But instead of releasing a double album it would just make more sense to release one album now and the other next year. They also can't just dump 10 new songs into a live set.

but this way Axl can just change his mind after he releases just 1 album for many reasons. They can rotate the songs like they did in the past and the NITL lineup sometimes played 8 Chinese tunes in 1 show. They can play 5 new tunes every night from the new album.

Edited by Rovim

9 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Artists are tending to release albums that are shorter in length these days. Case in point - latest Foo Fighters album; clocks in at just under 40 minutes. Just like the old days. Young folk are not buying CDs and whilst there is an increase in vinyl, it doesn't compete against streaming services. Saturation is generally not a good idea. The idea that GNR can release a double album and succeed commercially in today's climate is not all that aligned to reality, in my view. Personally I hate double albums for the very reason that they are just too bloody long! 

In all honesty, do you see GNR touring in 10 years time? It had not occurred to me until now that he will be approaching 70! 

those other artists have released so much material compared to Axl/Gn'R that releasing short and concise albums seems like a logical idea. For Gn'R though at this stage in their career though? with 'a shitload of material" just sitting there according to Dizzy? I personally don't want to wait even more and statistically speaking, there is probably more chance of me enjoying more of the material if I have 30 songs to listen to instead of 10-12.

Axl had a very long time to finish a lot of great tunes and I think that's exactly what he did so it would be ideal for me if he just released as many Guns tunes as possible but would still make it feel like a cohesive album. It's possible.

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but this way Axl can just change his mind after he releases just 1 album for many reasons. They can rotate the songs like they did in the past and the NITL lineup sometimes played 8 Chinese tunes in 1 show. They can play 5 new tunes every night from the new album.

Are we listening/talking about the same band here?! The typical GNR set list has been pretty much static bar the odd surprise here and there for the past few years! (NOTE: I did however welcome with open arms the addition of Locomotive back in the set!) 

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl had a very long time to finish a lot of great tunes and I think that's exactly what he did so it would be ideal for me if he just released as many Guns tunes as possible but would still make it feel like a cohesive album. It's possible.

I admire your faith, but I'm not sure it is realistic. Unfortunately. 

Just now, 19AT5 said:

Are we listening/talking about the same band here?! The typical GNR set list has been pretty much static bar the odd surprise here and there for the past few years! (NOTE: I did however welcome with open arms the addition of Locomotive back in the set!) 

I'm specifically referring to Axl sometimes performing 8 Chinese tunes with Gn'R in 1 night on the NITL tour and he almost played the entire album in 2009 I think. So it could happen again with a new album. The stale setlist talk is not really relevant to the point I was trying to make but at least they played Coma on a regular basis, brought back Locomotive, and played Slither.

9 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yep. It's also entirely possible that none of these songs are really finished. ;)

possible, but not likely. Especially since Axl said CD ll was completed "a long time ago" and that was about 8 years ago iirc.

8 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I admire your faith, but I'm not sure it is realistic. Unfortunately. 

it's just so many people have said Axl got a lot of finished material. He had most of the tunes that made it on Chinese and the 2019 leaks as far back as 1999. Brian May talked about it saying the songs had vocals. (in 1999 as well)

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

possible, but not likely. Especially since Axl said CD ll was completed "a long time ago" and that was about 8 years ago iirc.

it's just so many people have said Axl got a lot of finished material. He had most of the tunes that made it on Chinese and the 2019 leaks as far back as 1999. Brian May talked about it saying the songs had vocals.

He may well do. But reality is... one album in almost 30 years, and he ain't getting any younger. 

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

which is exactly why I think he should release 2 albums in 1 day.

Right. So... the dude releases one single in almost thirty years, and here we are discussing the possibility of a double album in one day. In an age where people don't consume music the way they did when this band was last relevant! Okie dokie. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Right. So... the dude releases one single in almost thirty years, and here we are discussing the possibility of a double album in one day. In an age where people don't consume music the way they did when this band was last relevant! Okie dokie. 

if the foundation is already laid for a lot of the material and I believe it is, then we are discussing the possibility of Axl completing it with the current lineup (Slash and Susan both confirmed the current band has worked on it) and giving a single release date for a double album when it's ready. If anything it should make it easier to release more tunes since Axl had 20 years to amass material.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

if the foundation is already laid for a lot of the material and I believe it is, then we are discussing the possibility of Axl completing it with the current lineup (Slash and Susan both confirmed the current band has worked on it) and giving a single release date for a double album when it's ready. If anything it should make it easier to release more tunes since Axl had 20 years to amass material.

If the album is ready, they could also release it half a year or a year apart. Which would make way more sense.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

If the album is ready, they could also release it half a year or a year apart. Which would make way more sense.

I don't think the album is ready, I think most of the material is completed by previous lineups and Axl seems to want to update it again with Slash and Duff so who knows how long it would take Axl to complete it again.

it would make way more sense to not trust Axl when it comes to multiple releases just cause he changes his mind often. I just don't trust him to follow through on a year apart release of a double album. Why give him the chance to not release half of it if there is enough material for a double.

We know the band has worked on material post 2006. So it's reasonable to expect at least 2 albums worth of material exist. (Not including 2008's CD, and not including the remix album) I'm talking the second half of Chinese, and tracks from the "third record".

I'm sure the current lineup has some new stuff too, they could easily do a double. 

I really wish CD had been a double, or had the follow-up released before the reunion, that would be have been a great way to end that chapter. 

I'm sure CD2 would have been as overproduced as 2008's CD was had it been released in 2010 (or whatever)

Maybe, just maybe if they touch-up or re-work material from those sessions, they will strip it down a bit, much like how the village stuff sounds from 2000ish vs the 2008 album.

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I don't think the album is ready, I think most of the material is completed by previous lineups and Axl seems to want to update it again with Slash and Duff so who knows how long it would take Axl to complete it again.

it would make way more sense to not trust Axl when it comes to multiple releases just cause he changes his mind often. I just don't trust him to follow through on a year apart release of a double album. Why give him the chance to not release half of it if there is enough material for a double.

Geez. When you're set to release a double album, you have to have at least 20 finished songs. So why not release 10 of those released songs now and put 10 away to release a year later?? If the songs are finished, they won't be meddled with either way, so you might as well hold some back and release them later. A contract that states as much and there would be no changing of the mind.

33 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Seems like the set list is static from tour to tour or each era of the band. They do usually add a song or two each time out. Otherwise it’s the same order. That’s being said, people come out to hear Jungle and the hits and there’s only a handful of albums to choose from. The majority of people don’t want to hear Locomotive let alone stuff from CD. It’s a good thing that stuff gets played and it does cater to core fans 

I think fans here in this community would enjoy it more if the order of songs were just more spontaneous. Just opening with different songs makes you think you’re witnessing a different show. Even if the set is still 80/90 percent the same each night. 

As far as anything new? I think it’s obvious they have stuff that’s completed. That’s always been the case though since the late 90’s. Having a reason to let it go is historically something different 

This is a touring/legacy act now. Releasing something maybe potentially gets them to continue playing large shows, stadiums and more importantly the same payday. As a result the possibility of new songs will always viewed as potential fuel for the mechanism so that they can go out and play Jungle to PC 

The previous incarnation didn’t release anything and as a result of their disfunction, label disputes and over saturation, the act dwindled to Vegas and club level shows. That’s opposed to releasing something that gets a tepid response and the act dwindled to Vegas and club level shows due to just over saturation 

Which scenario is more reassuring to the ego? Which scenario spreads out blame and protects from rejection? Chinese Democracy...something that may sound good in theory but in reality will never see in our lifetime 

Geez. When you're set to release a double album, you have to have at least 20 finished songs. So why not release 10 of those released songs now and put 10 away to release a year later?? If the songs are finished, they won't be meddled with either way, so you might as well hold some back and release them later. A contract that states as much and there would be no changing of the mind.

a contract that prevents Axl from tinkering with Gn'R material? I'm sure he's going to sign no questions asked.

Why? cause you just can't know for certain the songs won't be tinkered with, or if Axl would be in the mood to release another 1 if the reception of the first album is poor and we already waited 12 years and are probably going to wait more. for 10 songs with an option for more later going by your idea.

I also want Axl to have the chance to perform as much of the unreleased material as possible, asap. The way I see it other bands can afford to do the short and sweet 10 tracks thing, not Gn'R.

20 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

As far as anything new? I think it’s obvious they have stuff that’s completed. That’s always been the case though since the late 90’s. Having a reason to let it go is historically something different 

This is a touring/legacy act now. Releasing something maybe potentially gets them to continue playing large shows, stadiums and more importantly the same payday. As a result the possibility of new songs will always viewed as potential fuel for the mechanism so that they can go out and play Jungle to PC 

The previous incarnation didn’t release anything and as a result of their disfunction, label disputes and over saturation, the act dwindled to Vegas and club level shows. That’s opposed to releasing something that gets a tepid response and the act dwindled to Vegas and club level shows due to just over saturation 

Which scenario is more reassuring to the ego? Which scenario spreads out blame and protects from rejection? Chinese Democracy...something that may sound good in theory but in reality will never see in our lifetime 

the reason for releasing another Gn'R record could be artistic, the legacy of the band and adding to the catalog. Axl seemed to not be pleased with the fact Gn'R only released 4 full albums of original material.

there is also more demand for an album from the current lineup imo and they are not really dysfunctional, they do what they do well enough and I think that even if a potential album won't sell millions, the reception of it would be better compared to Chinese.

imagine this lineup with Slash just fizzles out with no album. I hope that's not what Axl wants so it's worth taking that risk of releasing new music.

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

a contract that prevents Axl from tinkering with Gn'R material? I'm sure he's going to sign no questions asked.

No. A contract that gives a record company these 20 songs at a certain time, for release at a set time. A deadline by which time tinkered songs have to be resubmitted, in case reception of the first album is piss poor and they want to change something, for release at the previosuly set time. Seriously now. Stop being so complicated.

What do you wanna play? What do you wanna play? Huh? 

We kinda pick them as we go. 

Don't wanna stand up here playing Appetite round and round, that would feel like jerking off, you know. 

We got two... no, that's four records coming up soon. 

Etc. Hey, they've handled it before, they'll manage now, no?  :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Guns N Roses album with Ax/Slash/Duff on it sure as hell will not be under UYI/AFD standard/masterpiece.

What other main ingredient (key as Canter has put it) did they have on those albums?  Izzy.

Secondly, sure as hell Axl, no matter how loyal and cheap Frank is, won't have Frank ruin his album with Slash and Duff on it.

This is something completely different to that album with Chickenfoot, Cashba, who else not.  THey want to get this as close as possible to UYI/AFD, if anything ever comes out.  No other chance to correct if they slip on this one.

No. A contract that gives a record company these 20 songs at a certain time, for release at a set time. A deadline by which time tinkered songs have to be resubmitted, in case reception of the first album is piss poor and they want to change something, for release at the previosuly set time. Seriously now. Stop being so complicated.

stop being so simple. Why would Axl relinquish control? how does that serve him? "there's no fuckin' deadline" Axl once said if I'm not mistaken. Unrealistic to expect Axl to agree to this contract imo.