The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

stop being so simple. Why would Axl relinquish control? how does that serve him? "there's no fuckin' deadline" Axl once said if I'm not mistaken. Unrealistic to expect Axl to agree to this contract imo.

To be fair mate... Equally unrealistic is your belief he should or will release a double album.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

stop being so simple. Why would Axl relinquish control? how does that serve him? "there's no fuckin' deadline" Axl once said if I'm not mistaken. Unrealistic to expect Axl to agree to this contract imo.

As unrealistic to expect or demand a double album.

Edit: And well, some people need a deadline. Or you end up having an album every 30 years. Axl would be way more productive, if he actually had a deadline.

Edited by PatrickS77

49 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

As unrealistic to expect or demand a double album.

I don't expect or demand anything. It's just the ideal scenario for me and I've explained why I think it's plausible. A world apart from what you're suggesting.

I'll be happy with just 1 new album from Gn'R, I just think Axl got enough material for 2 and they're running out of time to make it glorious.

Edited by Rovim

54 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Edit: And well, some people need a deadline. Or you end up having an album every 30 years. Axl would be way more productive, if he actually had a deadline.

maybe so, but some people, like Axl, are in a position of power that allow them to make their own deadline. For better or worse.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

A world apart from what you're suggesting.

You said it's impossible to be done. I merely showed you how it could be done. It's not unreasonable for whoever distributes the album to have a contract that specifies these specifics.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

maybe so, but some people, like Axl, are in a position of power that allows them to make their own deadline. For better or worse.

Yes. And that power made him ruin his career and front a band which only has released 4 albums in 34 years.

14 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well, if Slash leaves again, it's over.

And with all due respect, they (Axl) really can keep his CD 2 shit. The window for that is closed. He had 6 years to release that shit. If they do a new album with Slash, I want nothing of that crap and certainly no recordings of other musicians on it (wouldn't they have to pay those other musicians if they put out the stuff they've recordet?). I want a new album, played from scratch, by the people who are in the band now. Otherwise it's just better they keep on touring on the old stuff and release nothing at all.

I feel the same way.

6 hours ago, Draguns said:

With all due respect, people really need to stop wishing for  Buckethead and Finck to return. The reality is that if Slash leaves for a second time, GNR would be over. 

I know right? 

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

But instead of releasing a double album it would just make more sense to release one album now and the other next year. They also can't just dump 10 new songs into a live set.

That would be a good plan.

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

You said it's impossible to be done. I merely showed you how it could be done. It's not unreasonable for whoever distributes the album to have a contract that specifies these specifics.

Yes. And that power made him ruin his career and front a band which only has released 4 albums in 34 years.

Axl said that he made changes to Chinese until the very last moment. I think maybe he'll want to keep the option to do that.

I believe when Axl talked about a trilogy or  about releasing extra tracks, he meant it but then of course nothing happened for years. He's just not the kind of musician that follows through on all his promises for whatever reason which is why I believe he likes to keep it open, not share information about new music.

limitations can be a powerful tool for a musician, but Axl doesn't seem to want to use it. His approach is the opposite of that.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

limitations can be a powerful tool for a musician, but Axl doesn't seem to want to use it. His approach is the opposite of that.

He should though. Because otherwise he'll never get anything done and completed.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

Do you think Slash could improved tracks like Zodiac 13, Quick Song, Atlas, Hardschool, Soul Monster, etc.? I really do like a lot of his work on his 2010 solo album, and Velvet Revolver, so I have hope (assuming he re-records everything) but I'd hate for him to do some of the shit he does live with the CD stuff. I don't think Axl would tolerate shit.

He very well could copy most of Robin's work note for note with his "feel", maybe some Buckethead material too, or have Richard do the harder guitar parts from Bucket/Bumble.

regarding the comments that if slash leaves, it's over- I agree.  but I doubt Slash is in a financial situation where he can afford that.  he's got to pay Perla a TOOOOOOOOON of money every year.

I guess I'm in the minority of people that believes the new album is done and they just want to wait to release it prior to a tour to help sell tickets.  bc there no way an album relased these days is going to make any money- not unless they sign some kind of exclusive deal with Spotify or something.  

On 3/8/2021 at 3:01 AM, PatrickS77 said:

Well, if Slash leaves again, it's over.

And with all due respect, they (Axl) really can keep his CD 2 shit. The window for that is closed. He had 6 years to release that shit. If they do a new album with Slash, I want nothing of that crap and certainly no recordings of other musicians on it (wouldn't they have to pay those other musicians if they put out the stuff they've recordet?). I want a new album, played from scratch, by the people who are in the band now. Otherwise it's just better they keep on touring on the old stuff and release nothing at all.

I have a feeling IF we get a new album, you are going to be very disappointed😅 It's pretty much guaranteed from what Slash, Duff and er... Duffs wife have said that "Axl has a lot of great songs"... so, IF we get a new album we're getting material that was written by people who may or not be in the band any longer (Finck, Bucket, Pitman).

It's unlikely to be all one-sided though, at the end of the day Axl has to please both the record labels desire for a "reunion" record with Slash as a co-writer, and he has to appease Slash just a little too by getting some of his ideas on the record. Slash doesn't see himself as a background musician who just plays the parts, or fills a space and the fans definitely don't either. I'm going to guess and say that a potential Guns record will be 70% Axl/CD era and 30% the current incarnation/Slash ideas (based on no evidence, but who cares).

Also, they will have to pay royalties to anybody who wrote credited parts for the songs (unless somehow stipulated in the hired musician contract that GNR owns the rights to any materials written and the writers are paid then and there?), so don't be surprised when those CD era names pop up. If there's a song on the album with AXL/Slash/Tobias I'll explode with laughter🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I have a feeling IF we get a new album, you are going to be very disappointed😅 It's pretty much guaranteed from what Slash, Duff and er... Duffs wife have said that "Axl has a lot of great songs"... so, IF we get a new album we're getting material that was written by people who may or not be in the band any longer (Finck, Bucket, Pitman).

It's unlikely to be all one-sided though, at the end of the day Axl has to please both the record labels desire for a "reunion" record with Slash as a co-writer, and he has to appease Slash just a little too by getting some of his ideas on the record. Slash doesn't see himself as a background musician who just plays the parts, or fills a space and the fans definitely don't either. I'm going to guess and say that a potential Guns record will be 70% Axl/CD era and 30% the current incarnation/Slash ideas (based on no evidence, but who cares).

Also, they will have to pay royalties to anybody who wrote credited parts for the songs (unless somehow stipulated in the hired musician contract that GNR owns the rights to any materials written and the writers are paid then and there?), so don't be surprised when those CD era names pop up. If there's a song on the album with AXL/Slash/Tobias I'll explode with laughter🤣

There are many options. Axl could use just the lyrics. Maybe show them to the boys and let them start from scratch with the music. Etc. 

56 minutes ago, jamillos said:

There are many options. Axl could use just the lyrics. Maybe show them to the boys and let them start from scratch with the music. Etc. 

There are indeed many options. Including one that nothing is ever released! 

31 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

There are indeed many options. Including one that nothing is ever released! 

Sure, there’s that, but honestly, I don’t really believe it. Even if Axl was fine with touring the greatest hits forever, the Slash/Duff duo wouldn’t be ok with this for much longer. I know they have vents like solo albums, but still, there’s certain legacy that got them where they are now. Plus they’d get bored sooner or later. We’ve had enough of NITL; I say something regarding UYI will happen this year, and once the C-19 problem is tamed, they’ll come up with something brand new, and this time it won’t be just cartoons or merchandise! 

I have just read through the threads on 'Yesterdays' which begins at 2002.  From 2010 onwards one would be forgiven for thinking they are actually recent threads as exactly the same refrain is being repeated over and over again:  new music, new music, new music and same old reasons as to why we may  not be getting any yet but it will come.  Twelve years on does anybody, in their hearts, really believe there is going to any new music released.

All of Slash's remarks regarding music with Guns are ambiguous to say the least as were the comments from band members over the years...its on its way etc.  When you watch the interview from a long time ago where Axl says he wants to bury Appetite and not let it define his life but obviously this is exactly what ifs going to happen as I dont think music is his driving force any more.  But there is always a spark of hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I have just read through the threads on 'Yesterdays' which begins at 2002.  From 2010 onwards one would be forgiven for thinking they are actually recent threads as exactly the same refrain is being repeated over and over again:  new music, new music, new music and same old reasons as to why we may  not be getting any yet but it will come.  Twelve years on does anybody, in their hearts, really believe there is going to any new music released.

All of Slash's remarks regarding music with Guns are ambiguous to say the least as were the comments from band members over the years...its on its way etc.  When you watch the interview from a long time ago where Axl says he wants to bury Appetite and not let it define his life but obviously this is exactly what ifs going to happen as I dont think music is his driving force any more.  But there is always a spark of hope.

Yes, with one huge difference, though: NuGNR was Axl's project, where he was the sole captain at the helm. But when talking about the Reunion, we need to take the force of Slash (and Duff) into consideration. They do have their say; the decision-making power has been diluted (into at least halves, if not thirds).

Edited by jamillos

I don't think a new album is close to imminent, a 2-5 year timeframe is about as optimistic as I'll allow myself to be, but that's been the case since 1987 I guess.

I think we're far more likely to hear new music through leaks. Roll on The General.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

people can change their mind a lot in 30 years. Or even in a week. So the whole burying Appetite thing... I think Axl felt extra motivated to realize his artistic potential with newer releases cause maybe he didn't believe the peak of his career at the time was Appetite and it was such a monster of an album. (commercially and artistically)

NR and Don't Cry didn't make it for example and he always was interested in exploring the more bombastic side of the epic ballad thing. I think he always wanted to incorporate different styles into the sound of the band too so maybe Appetite, as good as it still is, was viewed as just the beginning by Axl back then.

It must not be a pleasant feeling at all when you're that young and successful, to think the best is now behind you. That's kinda fucked up so the natural thing to believe in and to tell yourself and others is maybe "I need to nail it so hard next time just to make sure there is no way anyone would think I've peaked with my debut album".

Axl's self importance seemed to have fueled his motivation in the past so maybe that line was just a way to explain what his goal and approach was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I cant help but think Slash and Dufff reunited for the money not making new music, unfortunately, they have their own bands to do that with.

Well after 5 years you could be forgiven for thinking that!

41 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

From 2010 onwards one would be forgiven for thinking they are actually recent threads as exactly the same refrain is being repeated over and over again:  new music, new music, new music and same old reasons as to why we may  not be getting any yet but it will come.  Twelve years on does anybody, in their hearts, really believe there is going to any new music released.

Nope! Not at all. All faith has been lost in that regard.

When Susan Mckagan said the new albums coming maybe she got confused and it was just Duffs pre gnr band.....

At this stage I am beginning to hope Velvet Revolver reunite (along with Izzy taking Kushners spot) with a decent new singer (not myles) instead because I have no faith in Axl releasing anything.

3 minutes ago, vloors said:

When Susan Mckagan said the new albums coming maybe she got confused and it was just Duffs pre gnr band.....

At this stage I am beginning to hope Velvet Revolver reunite (along with Izzy taking Kushners spot) with a decent new singer (not myles) instead because I have no faith in Axl releasing anything.

Myles Kennedy! :P

26 minutes ago, vloors said:

She did say they were working on new music "fastidiously" though. So if they really are putting a lot of effort and detail into it, maybe that does explain the long wait.

• Like 1