The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

An actual Better video was planned. It was weird, as far as I know it never left the previsualization stage. 

I believe one was planned for Chinese Democracy too. (CD was an awful single and video idea, IMO)

The intro killed it. What radio station were gonna play that 1 minute intro 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

The intro killed it. What radio station were gonna play that 1 minute intro 

Haha yeah no kidding, I think they had a radio friendly edit though for radio play.

The MSL leak of Chinese Democracy was my favorite, overall. 

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

An actual Better video was planned. It was weird, as far as I know it never left the previsualization stage. 

I believe one was planned for Chinese Democracy too. (CD was an awful single and video idea, IMO)

I think Axl mentioned on the chats here that he wasn't interested in the big production videos anymore. The leaked video was a solid confirmation. I only remember him saying as an afterthought that if he did do a non live video it would have been for shacklers based on the dark humour of dexter

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sledge said:

I think Axl mentioned on the chats here that he wasn't interested in the big production videos anymore. The leaked video was a solid confirmation. I only remember him saying as an afterthought that if he did do a non live video it would have been for shacklers based on the dark humour of dexter

That would have been a cool video!

Gonna voice a presumably unpopular opinion here: I think I’d rather a Chinese box set over a new record from these guys. That era holds so much intrigue for me.

of course, the chances  of us getting either are rarer than finding rocking horse shite! 😅

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Gonna voice a presumably unpopular opinion here: I think I’d rather a Chinese box set over a new record from these guys. That era holds so much intrigue for me.

of course, the chances  of us getting either are rarer than finding rocking horse shite! 😅

Agreed. Assuming any new album would be mostly CD-era songs anyway, I'd rather hear them in their earlier form.

Plus I want as much music from Axl and Buckethead as possible. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If "Dummy" is actually Cuban Skies, I wanna hear that one... and any more solos like TWAT or ITW would be nice.

Perhaps just go and listen to a Buckethead album then!? You have several hundred options to choose from.... which is actually mental in itself! Agree both solos in those songs are really good. But, as good as Buckethead is, he didn't fit into GNR... for what GNR was. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Perhaps just go and listen to a Buckethead album then!? You have several hundred options to choose from.... which is actually mental in itself! Agree both solos in those songs are really good. But, as good as Buckethead is, he didn't fit into GNR... for what GNR was. 

As much as theres chinese fan boys here, the CD album itself was panned by a majority and sold well below expectations. It was underwealming. 

It would make no sense releasing the next guns album by the past CD lineup.  A lineup nearly 20 years old where the average casual fan these days has no idea who made up the band at that time. What are they going to sell like a thousand copies?

21 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I don't care about "what GNR was" lol. Of course they didn't make AFD 2.0 (honestly, who would want that?) but Axl and Buckethead sounded good together and I'd like to hear more of their songs. Stuff like The General or Prom Violence with vocals would be interesting to hear, plus whatever else is in the vault.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't care about "what GNR was" lol. Of course they didn't make AFD 2.0 (honestly, who would want that?) but Axl and Buckethead sounded good together and I'd like to hear more of their songs. Stuff like The General or Prom Violence with vocals would be interesting to hear, plus whatever else is in the vault.

What GNR became around 2002 was a joke. The VMAs was a disaster. And Chinese Democracy became the longest running joke in the rock press. You have 3 songs (I think) on CD which were co-written with Buckethead, one of which is a bloody car crash (Scraped, albeit cool solo), another of which has a catchy hook to it, but is neither one thing or another (Shackler's Revenge) and another which sounds like a Bond theme (If The World, which I actually don't mind). This is hardly a great selling point here! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vloors said:

It would make no sense releasing the next guns album by the past CD lineup.  A lineup nearly 20 years old where the average casual fan these days has no idea who made up the band at that time. What are they going to sell like a thousand copies?

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

I'm not convinced by that. However, when folk showed up at the gig, and saw a dude with a fucking upside KFC bucket on his head, I'm sure people would twig that "hey, did Slash always have the chicken hat on his head or this a new thing?!"

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I'm not convinced by that. However, when folk showed up at the gig, and saw a dude with a fucking upside KFC bucket on his head, I'm sure people would twig that "hey, did Slash always have the chicken hat on his head or this a new thing?!"

Sounds about right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

What GNR became around 2002 was a joke. The VMAs was a disaster. And Chinese Democracy became the longest running joke in the rock press. You have 3 songs (I think) on CD which were co-written with Buckethead, one of which is a bloody car crash (Scraped, albeit cool solo), another of which has a catchy hook to it, but is neither one thing or another (Shackler's Revenge) and another which sounds like a Bond theme (If The World, which I actually don't mind). This is hardly a great selling point here! 

None of those things were Bucket's fault. And although he "co-wrote" those songs they are vastly different from his original demos which were just riff ideas copied and pasted beyond recognition. Bucket was the best thing about CD by a large distance. Had they consolidated that line up and focussed more on the Bucket + Axl duo (like Ozzy and Randy) rather than all the layers and complexity I'm convinced that would have landed big style.

23 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I realize what the public perception was, and that has no effect on how much I want to hear the rest of the music lol. I honestly couldn't care less about the name issue, what "is" or "isn't" GNR is subjective (they either only made 1 album, or they changed with every album, but all the music is good so I don't care about the name on the album cover). I never said the songs would be hot sellers, but again, I don't care how much they sell, I just want to hear them. The Village leaks gave us only a small taste of the Buckethead stuff in the vault.

Also, Sorry is the best Bucket song on CD ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gnrjanus said:

Managers went wrong. 

Robin leaving straight after the release must have hurt a lot. 

Yup. Axl said (or, insinuated) that Azoff pushed Robin out to make room for Slash.

Not that Axl's reclusive ways and apparent lack of band member communication off-road had anything to do with it.

53 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I realize what the public perception was, and that has no effect on how much I want to hear the rest of the music lol. I honestly couldn't care less about the name issue, what "is" or "isn't" GNR is subjective (they either only made 1 album, or they changed with every album, but all the music is good so I don't care about the name on the album cover). I never said the songs would be hot sellers, but again, I don't care how much they sell, I just want to hear them. The Village leaks gave us only a small taste of the Buckethead stuff in the vault.

Also, Sorry is the best Bucket song on CD ;)

For me it's Shacklers, but besides that every word is perfect. Love Sorry too though, incredible song even the Dracula BVs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

None of those things were Bucket's fault. And although he "co-wrote" those songs they are vastly different from his original demos which were just riff ideas copied and pasted beyond recognition. Bucket was the best thing about CD by a large distance. Had they consolidated that line up and focussed more on the Bucket + Axl duo (like Ozzy and Randy) rather than all the layers and complexity I'm convinced that would have landed big style.

I don't know what you're basing that on? I've never heard a single thing to suggest buckets (or anyone elses) riffs were chopped up and changed. Obviously the solos were chopped and changed around, and obviously they tweaked song ideas from the initial demos though... I mean that's just how the majority of bands work these days. 

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

You joke, but I honestly met people in the Nu-GNR era gigs that thought Slash was onstage, even after they'd seen the gig. They wouldn't even hear the idea that it wasn't. I even met one who genuinely believed Buckethead was Slash in disguise. 

Astonishing really. I don't know what you do with people like that! 

2 hours ago, vloors said:

As much as theres chinese fan boys here, the CD album itself was panned by a majority ...

Except ... it wasn't. 

Spin, AV Club, Sputnikmusic, Boston Globe, Billboard, Rolling Stone, LA Times, Entertainment Weekly all gave favorable reviews. Chuck Klosterman's review of Chinese Democracy is by far my favorite.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't know what you're basing that on? I've never heard a single thing to suggest buckets (or anyone elses) riffs were chopped up and changed. Obviously the solos were chopped and changed around, and obviously they tweaked song ideas from the initial demos though... I mean that's just how the majority of bands work these days. 

The original Village leaks version of Shacklers is completely different to the released Shacklers Revenge.

55 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

The original Village leaks version of Shacklers is completely different to the released Shacklers Revenge.

Didn't know there was leak of that. BUT, the point remains that, a demo is highly unlikely to remain as is right up to the release of an album. Sometimes all that gets taken from a demo is 5 seconds of an idea, and from there the idea is developed. Like I said, that is just how 'some' records are made.

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

They did care. CD dropped off the charts after release and is gnrs weakest selling album. Lots of people stopped following the band and was dismissive towards the new cd era members.

The cd era concerts ticket sales dropped dramatically and they started having to perform in arenas or clubs even having to do a las vegas residency.

The only reason they could sellout stadiums again was bringing Slash and Duff back into the band. 

Same as the only reason they will have high record sales/streams again is if its a reunion of slash with Axl on a song.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1