Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If "Dummy" is actually Cuban Skies, I wanna hear that one... and any more solos like TWAT or ITW would be nice.

Perhaps just go and listen to a Buckethead album then!? You have several hundred options to choose from.... which is actually mental in itself! Agree both solos in those songs are really good. But, as good as Buckethead is, he didn't fit into GNR... for what GNR was. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Perhaps just go and listen to a Buckethead album then!? You have several hundred options to choose from.... which is actually mental in itself! Agree both solos in those songs are really good. But, as good as Buckethead is, he didn't fit into GNR... for what GNR was. 

As much as theres chinese fan boys here, the CD album itself was panned by a majority and sold well below expectations. It was underwealming. 

It would make no sense releasing the next guns album by the past CD lineup.  A lineup nearly 20 years old where the average casual fan these days has no idea who made up the band at that time. What are they going to sell like a thousand copies?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Perhaps just go and listen to a Buckethead album then!? You have several hundred options to choose from.... which is actually mental in itself! Agree both solos in those songs are really good. But, as good as Buckethead is, he didn't fit into GNR... for what GNR was. 

 

I don't care about "what GNR was" lol. Of course they didn't make AFD 2.0 (honestly, who would want that?) but Axl and Buckethead sounded good together and I'd like to hear more of their songs. Stuff like The General or Prom Violence with vocals would be interesting to hear, plus whatever else is in the vault.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

I don't care about "what GNR was" lol. Of course they didn't make AFD 2.0 (honestly, who would want that?) but Axl and Buckethead sounded good together and I'd like to hear more of their songs. Stuff like The General or Prom Violence with vocals would be interesting to hear, plus whatever else is in the vault.

What GNR became around 2002 was a joke. The VMAs was a disaster. And Chinese Democracy became the longest running joke in the rock press. You have 3 songs (I think) on CD which were co-written with Buckethead, one of which is a bloody car crash (Scraped, albeit cool solo), another of which has a catchy hook to it, but is neither one thing or another (Shackler's Revenge) and another which sounds like a Bond theme (If The World, which I actually don't mind). This is hardly a great selling point here! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vloors said:

It would make no sense releasing the next guns album by the past CD lineup.  A lineup nearly 20 years old where the average casual fan these days has no idea who made up the band at that time. What are they going to sell like a thousand copies?

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

I'm not convinced by that. However, when folk showed up at the gig, and saw a dude with a fucking upside KFC bucket on his head, I'm sure people would twig that "hey, did Slash always have the chicken hat on his head or this a new thing?!"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I'm not convinced by that. However, when folk showed up at the gig, and saw a dude with a fucking upside KFC bucket on his head, I'm sure people would twig that "hey, did Slash always have the chicken hat on his head or this a new thing?!"

Sounds about right.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

What GNR became around 2002 was a joke. The VMAs was a disaster. And Chinese Democracy became the longest running joke in the rock press. You have 3 songs (I think) on CD which were co-written with Buckethead, one of which is a bloody car crash (Scraped, albeit cool solo), another of which has a catchy hook to it, but is neither one thing or another (Shackler's Revenge) and another which sounds like a Bond theme (If The World, which I actually don't mind). This is hardly a great selling point here! 

None of those things were Bucket's fault. And although he "co-wrote" those songs they are vastly different from his original demos which were just riff ideas copied and pasted beyond recognition. Bucket was the best thing about CD by a large distance. Had they consolidated that line up and focussed more on the Bucket + Axl duo (like Ozzy and Randy) rather than all the layers and complexity I'm convinced that would have landed big style.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

What GNR became around 2002 was a joke. The VMAs was a disaster. And Chinese Democracy became the longest running joke in the rock press. You have 3 songs (I think) on CD which were co-written with Buckethead, one of which is a bloody car crash (Scraped, albeit cool solo), another of which has a catchy hook to it, but is neither one thing or another (Shackler's Revenge) and another which sounds like a Bond theme (If The World, which I actually don't mind). This is hardly a great selling point here! 

I realize what the public perception was, and that has no effect on how much I want to hear the rest of the music lol. I honestly couldn't care less about the name issue, what "is" or "isn't" GNR is subjective (they either only made 1 album, or they changed with every album, but all the music is good so I don't care about the name on the album cover). I never said the songs would be hot sellers, but again, I don't care how much they sell, I just want to hear them. The Village leaks gave us only a small taste of the Buckethead stuff in the vault.

Also, Sorry is the best Bucket song on CD ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gnrjanus said:

Managers went wrong. 

Robin leaving straight after the release must have hurt a lot. 

Yup. Axl said (or, insinuated) that Azoff pushed Robin out to make room for Slash.

Not that Axl's reclusive ways and apparent lack of band member communication off-road had anything to do with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I realize what the public perception was, and that has no effect on how much I want to hear the rest of the music lol. I honestly couldn't care less about the name issue, what "is" or "isn't" GNR is subjective (they either only made 1 album, or they changed with every album, but all the music is good so I don't care about the name on the album cover). I never said the songs would be hot sellers, but again, I don't care how much they sell, I just want to hear them. The Village leaks gave us only a small taste of the Buckethead stuff in the vault.

Also, Sorry is the best Bucket song on CD ;)

For me it's Shacklers, but besides that every word is perfect. Love Sorry too though, incredible song even the Dracula BVs 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

None of those things were Bucket's fault. And although he "co-wrote" those songs they are vastly different from his original demos which were just riff ideas copied and pasted beyond recognition. Bucket was the best thing about CD by a large distance. Had they consolidated that line up and focussed more on the Bucket + Axl duo (like Ozzy and Randy) rather than all the layers and complexity I'm convinced that would have landed big style.

I don't know what you're basing that on? I've never heard a single thing to suggest buckets (or anyone elses) riffs were chopped up and changed. Obviously the solos were chopped and changed around, and obviously they tweaked song ideas from the initial demos though... I mean that's just how the majority of bands work these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I'm not convinced by that. However, when folk showed up at the gig, and saw a dude with a fucking upside KFC bucket on his head, I'm sure people would twig that "hey, did Slash always have the chicken hat on his head or this a new thing?!"

You joke, but I honestly met people in the Nu-GNR era gigs that thought Slash was onstage, even after they'd seen the gig. They wouldn't even hear the idea that it wasn't. I even met one who genuinely believed Buckethead was Slash in disguise. 

Astonishing really. I don't know what you do with people like that! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vloors said:

As much as theres chinese fan boys here, the CD album itself was panned by a majority ...

Except ... it wasn't. 

Spin, AV Club, Sputnikmusic, Boston Globe, Billboard, Rolling Stone, LA Times, Entertainment Weekly all gave favorable reviews. Chuck Klosterman's review of Chinese Democracy is by far my favorite.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't know what you're basing that on? I've never heard a single thing to suggest buckets (or anyone elses) riffs were chopped up and changed. Obviously the solos were chopped and changed around, and obviously they tweaked song ideas from the initial demos though... I mean that's just how the majority of bands work these days. 

The original Village leaks version of Shacklers is completely different to the released Shacklers Revenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

The original Village leaks version of Shacklers is completely different to the released Shacklers Revenge.

Didn't know there was leak of that. BUT, the point remains that, a demo is highly unlikely to remain as is right up to the release of an album. Sometimes all that gets taken from a demo is 5 seconds of an idea, and from there the idea is developed. Like I said, that is just how 'some' records are made.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

They did care. CD dropped off the charts after release and is gnrs weakest selling album. Lots of people stopped following the band and was dismissive towards the new cd era members.

The cd era concerts ticket sales dropped dramatically and they started having to perform in arenas or clubs even having to do a las vegas residency.

The only reason they could sellout stadiums again was bringing Slash and Duff back into the band. 

Same as the only reason they will have high record sales/streams again is if its a reunion of slash with Axl on a song.

 

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Didn't know there was leak of that. BUT, the point remains that, a demo is highly unlikely to remain as is right up to the release of an album. Sometimes all that gets taken from a demo is 5 seconds of an idea, and from there the idea is developed. Like I said, that is just how 'some' records are made.

Yeah - it’s called Shanklers Revenge however. In terms of the demos it’s the one that is most different to the final version.....it’s quite something to see how it was reworked to what we know now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

If Chinese Democracy was the first album by GNR, do you think they would be selling out stadiums now? Just purely based on the song quality alone. 

Not at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme was interviewed the other day. By the way, their last album was out 2008 (the same as Chinese Democracy)

He said that the album was finished and ready to be released march 2020, but was stopped by the pandemic. He said they are a touring band and wants to tour and promote the album on the road. Ha said further that when to world re-opens - lets celebrate it with this new music and that we all can gather on a concert again. 
It might be that GNR thinks in a similar vein, I believe the album is done!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, vloors said:

Not at all. 

Agreed. In fact I can just imagine a 17 year old me, seeing a band on TV with a ginger singer with cornrows wearing a pork pie hat, looking like a gangster, backed with one guitarist wearing a yellow rain coat with an upside down KFC bucket on his head whilst wearing a Michael Myers mask, another guitarist with half his head shaved with a pale white make up, dressed in leather, and another... ah fuck it, you get the gist! The mere fact the band had 3 guitarists would've likely put me on, let alone two keyboard players! The AFD and UYI-eras were generally pretty cool, but the nu-Guns-era was anything but. As good a player as Buckethead is, it's not the right fit for GNR. 

4 minutes ago, betterman said:

Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme was interviewed the other day. By the way, their last album was out 2008 (the same as Chinese Democracy)

He said that the album was finished and ready to be released march 2020, but was stopped by the pandemic. He said they are a touring band and wants to tour and promote the album on the road. Ha said further that when to world re-opens - lets celebrate it with this new music and that we all can gather on a concert again. 
It might be that GNR thinks in a similar vein, I believe the album is done!

I would love it if you were correct, sir! :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

Bullshit

People either didn't care for GNR anymore at that time and thought they have split up or they had so much knowledge as Rock music fans and knew Slash isn't part of that circus.

Remember Slash and Duff were relatively successful with VR and Slash released his first solo record in 2010 and played almost every big festival in Europe that summer in front of hundreds of thousand people.

Some people argue CD (as it is) would have been more successful with Slash on it and people didn't give it a change not for the music, but for the lack of Slash.

Now you argue knowbody knew Slash wasn't part of it.

CD simply failed because it lacked quality. It didn't hit any zeitgeist or had this big great tracks on it. Most of those who were waiting years for CD got dissapointed at the end. 

Eventually CD was a big let down.

Everybody who loves this record can be happy, it's personal taste, but you are a minority. Don't search for excuses why it didn't reach the success it should have in your opinion. It would have been a success if it was that good.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

CD simply failed because it lacked quality.

but you don't actually know that. It's funny cause I think it is at least comparable in quality to Contraband which was a far more mainstream release with an easier to digest sound and catchy choruses and riffs with a simpler production.

Chinese had more than enough big tunes with strong solos, and the album is now seen by many rock/metal listeners as a good album. Critics thought it was pretty good too. It isn't as accessible as AFD or Contraband, and Axl chose to sing a lot of parts of it in a clean voice so not even his iconic rasp was there for people to connect to it more easily.

I think it would have done just fine had Axl released it in 2000-2002. I believe most of the damage was done by just waiting too long. 

 

Edited by Rovim
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That's the beauty of it. If they released CD2 as it was in 2010 or whatever, most casual fans would think Slash is on it. Much like many thought he was on 2008 CD. If they hear Axl, they are happy. They won't care if it's Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Slash, Buckethead, etc. would they even be able to tell the difference? Buckethead would stand out the most. Most fans do not have as keen of ears as we do for the various players.

I dunno, most people who are rock fans who I talked to about GNR over the years, of which there were many, were definitely aware that it was "the Axl Rose show" during that time and knew Slash was not there.

Which make sense because Slash is one of the most famous and one of the last truly singled-out guitarists of the last 30-35 years that capped the "guitar god" era.  From my perspective the lack of Slash in GNR in the 2000s was more well known than the actual music of Chinese Democracy to the average rock music fan lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...