The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh those things are undeniable. 

There was a discussion a while back about this though in terms of what makes an album a 'success'. If fans liked it.....I'd say it was a success. Others see it differently, from a commercial view, or a critical view. 

The fact they've musically just stagnated since then is the worst bit for me. 

You're spot on that success isn't defined by one factor. Commercially it didn't do all that well comparatively to rest of the albums in the catalogue or other peer albums of the same time. Personally (for Axl), I'd assume it was a success to finally release the bloody thing! Critically (and this is obviously purely subjective), but most reviews were generally favourable. I think most general fans, critics etc just struggle to accept it as a GNR album, which is understandable. 

10 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

As a huge fan of the OG ChiDem lineup, I totally want to hear their take of AFD

We  you more or less can by listening to any live shows from that period. Pretty much every song was played bar Anything Goes. I had actually forgot they played Think About You until I watched/listened to Rock In Rio 3 the other night. Was great to hear it!

On 3/19/2021 at 7:10 AM, Rovim said:

I think it was a good idea for the band to record it so they could cover it better, but it seems Axl thought about actually releasing the entire rerecorded Appetite and he did release the SCOM hybrid. You can't do that with certain albums imo, the fans would never accept it.

it made more sense for Live Era, at least it was Axl's own work that got rerecorded but this was too out there for Gn'R with Appetite imo.

Yeah, ultimately I think that using it as a way for the band to get the "GNR" feel in the recording studio and nail down parts for future live performances is a cool idea but to actually release it?  I don't think many people outside of hardcore fans would even care about an Appetite re-recording by the actual lineup that made Appetite let alone a bunch of random dudes lol

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

My interest in the re-recorded AFD mainly revolves around me hearing how Axl sounds on it. I thought his vocal performance on what we heard in the second part of SCOM sounded fantastic. 

Honestly I kind of dig that era of Axl's voice and wish we got more of it.  One of my favorites is how dark his vocals sound on the Live Era re-recording of YCBM

• Like 2

A rerecorded AFD, especially without Slash and Duff on it is COMPLETELY the wrong thing to do. 

Many bands have recorded material that NEVER see the light of day, for one reason or another.   This should be once of those that is lost forever.   Unless, for some Godawful reason, Slash and Duff left the band.   That's perhaps the ONLY way that a recorded AFD would be acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It would definitely fit in there more than the AFD box, as was suggested earlier. 

At this stage a CD boxset would be a great idea- and I think would be costly well received as an 'archive' piece. 

I can't see it happening though due to the crossover between this material and the 'new material' that is inevitable. The reaction to the leaks suggest this would be th case. 

Assuming they want to release another album, they should set aside 15-20 CD era songs for the current lineup to work with, and release everything else in a box set after they've called it a day. A box set of CD era material is pretty much the grail at this point... honestly the 2019 leaks were pretty much a "2000 Intentions" box set but I'd still like to hear everything from 1999-2010 eventually.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

We  you more or less can by listening to any live shows from that period. Pretty much every song was played bar Anything Goes. I had actually forgot they played Think About You until I watched/listened to Rock In Rio 3 the other night. Was great to hear it!

Yeah but there's not many good quality performances to listen to ... And Think About You was awesome in '02!

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

My interest in the re-recorded AFD mainly revolves around me hearing how Axl sounds on it. I thought his vocal performance on what we heard in the second part of SCOM sounded fantastic. 

The biggest reason I would love to hear re-recorded AFD if Axl actually put down proper vocals for each track ... His vocals on '99 SCOM were killer 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The biggest reason I would love to hear re-recorded AFD if Axl actually put down proper vocals for each track ... His vocals on '99 SCOM were killer 

Have you heard the whole thing or just the extremely weird mash up from the Big Daddy soundtrack?

I'd argue that his vocals on the original Appetite are also killer.

Edited by 19AT5
  • Like 1

The only way how that "re-recorded Appetite" from 99 could ever be officially released while making at least some sense (a leak would be a different thing) would be if there was a major, huge box set with old pro-shots, demos from all eras (i.e. not just a UYI box) etc., where just a part of the audio portion would be this AfD footage. It couldn’t constitute like a half of the content, as that would draw too much attention to it, creating inevitable comparisons etc., which Axl definitely wouldn’t want. But if it was like "oh yeah, and this is what we kinda did between the CD recording sessions back then", and there would be another 3 or 4 other, completely different audio chunks (like UYI, CD 2 or whatever), then yeah, that could work. 
And I somehow can't really see this happening in the foreseeable future. 
But releasing something like this as a sole B-side / bonus of some single recording wouldn’t be a good idea. 
All this provided that the footage exists in some "completed" version at all, because as far as I know, we know nothing about it apart from that Axl’s "we’ve re-recorded Appetite" bit from the Loder interview. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Honestly I kind of dig that era of Axl's voice and wish we got more of it.  One of my favorites is how dark his vocals sound on the Live Era re-recording of YCBM

I've never given that album a proper listen. I should. Hopefully we get more '99 Axl vocals on the next album. It's more than likely we will. Haha

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Isn't the first half just a live performance from '92?

Yeah it was a REALLY odd mish-mash mix. The first half is live with the Illusions line-up and then halfway through, just before the solo kicks into gear, it segways badly into the '99 re-recording. It is beyond reasoning how that was approved as being appropriate! The live recording even features some pretty rough Axl vocals. The outro '99 part sounds alright to be fair, but not better than the original. 

Somebody has done a mashup mix of the '87 and '99 versions though! 

Edited by 19AT5

1 minute ago, 19AT5 said:

Yeah it was a REALLY odd mish-mash mix. The first half is live with the Illusions line-up and then halfway through, just before the solo kicks into gear, it segways badly into the '99 re-recording. It is beyond reasoning how that was approved as being appropriate! The live recording even features some pretty rough Axl vocals. The outro '99 part sounds alright to be fair. 

Definitely is a really weird mix ... Maybe the thought process was exemplifying the transition into NuGnR? But regardless, I do find the '99 re-recording of the 2nd half from the music to Axl's vocals very good and is the main reason why I want to hear the rest of the album. Also, yes Axl's vocals on the original Appetite recordings are without a doubt some of the most powerful rock vocals ever laid down 

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Definitely is a really weird mix ... Maybe the thought process was exemplifying the transition into NuGnR? But regardless, I do find the '99 re-recording of the 2nd half from the music to Axl's vocals very good and is the main reason why I want to hear the rest of the album. Also, yes Axl's vocals on the original Appetite recordings are without a doubt some of the most powerful rock vocals ever laid down 

I don't like Robin's guitar solo in SCOM '99 or the drum sound. Releasing a re-record is in my opinion disrespectful to the other guys who helped create a classic album. People know and love the songs the way they are, how they were recorded by the original 5 guys... who wrote them. Not reinterpretations by the singer and however many hired hand helped complete the re-recording.

Ian Gillan actually did a re-recording of his greatest hits from throughout his career about 15 years ago. Gillan's Inn was the name of the album. There were one or two tracks from memory that were likely better than their original counterparts, primarily due to better mixing and recording techniques. But those songs were not from out and out stellar classics. The re-recording of Smoke On The Water from machine was conversely crap!   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I don't like Robin's guitar solo in SCOM '99 or the drum sound. Releasing a re-record is in my opinion disrespectful to the other guys who helped create a classic album. People know and love the songs the way they are, how they were recorded by the original 5 guys... who wrote them. Not reinterpretations by the singer and however many hired hand helped complete the re-recording.

Ian Gillan actually did a re-recording of his greatest hits from throughout his career about 15 years ago. Gillan's Inn was the name of the album. There were one or two tracks from memory that were likely better than their original counterparts, primarily due to better mixing and recording techniques. But those songs were not from out and out stellar classics. The re-recording of Smoke On The Water from machine was conversely crap!   

But it wasn't technically released and do you think Axl in 1999 was worried about disrespecting the other guys? 

I assume Brasky is full of shit but I could really believe this one is true :D

Great  News guys.

GNR has not done shit in almost a whole year.

No studio time , no rehearsals  and fuck i don't  think they been in the same room since the Mexican show.

Rock and Roll Gunners

Also Axl is remodeling his home !

Exciting times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePreacher said:

I assume Brasky is full of shit but I could really believe this one is true :D

Great  News guys.

GNR has not done shit in almost a whole year.

No studio time , no rehearsals  and fuck i don't  think they been in the same room since the Mexican show.

Rock and Roll Gunners

Also Axl is remodeling his home !

Exciting times.

GNR haven't done shit in over a decade. Doesn't take an "insider" to tell me that.

• Like 2