The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

We have multiple confirmations by Slash and Duff that recording has been done to some extent. We know Slash recorded at Axl's house. We have confirmation of new material by Susan, Fernando et al, and we know the band has rehearsed Hardschool. We have reports from some trusted people who have connections that something is brewing. Clearly, recording has been done to some extent - we just don't know what.

Do we though? I can't remember any specific quotes about recording. I just don't see anything to suggest they've done more than 'played each other ideas'. I don't remember anyone ever really specifically mentioning recording......

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I have had a feeling that they have already completed the album are just doing a very good job keeping it under wraps... Why they are waiting for to release it? That is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Do we though? I can't remember any specific quotes about recording. I just don't see anything to suggest they've done more than 'played each other ideas'. I don't remember anyone ever really specifically mentioning recording......

I think it's one of these situations. Either there's nothing or it's all done already.

I think all we have is speculation and connecting our own dots, however grim that may be.  If I were to wager a guess Slash has simply recorded guitar parts for whatever Axl's working on, or has completed, like Hardschool or whatever else.  It would be a complete rewiring to expect him to just bang out an album in 2 years (ample time for anyone else) from scratch, or even to do that with a handful vs what he wants.  It's tracklist is likely already predetermined pretty much before Slash or Duff records one note, give or take a song or two, much like Chinese.  Axl's probably revered as a generous god by pretty much all involved, so no one barks too loud.

Whatever has continued to delay said release I think can be chalked up to whatever manufactured issues are being waded through between Axl and Universal.

Slash deffo confirmed he had his original AFD Les Paul out of storage for GNR recording.....he stated that during an interview for a guitar convention in sure?

Is it really being contested whether Slash has recorded extensively for Guns?  It's pretty well documented that he has, so far I've seen.  The only question is what material it was.  I think it's safe to bet that its Axl's stuff.  And while that may not mean we're close to a release, at least it's an important item completed on the check list.  That's as close to positive as I can get.

57 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I think all we have is speculation and connecting our own dots, however grim that may be.  If I were to wager a guess Slash has simply recorded guitar parts for whatever Axl's working on, or has completed, like Hardschool or whatever else.  It would be a complete rewiring to expect him to just bang out an album in 2 years (ample time for anyone else) from scratch, or even to do that with a handful vs what he wants.  It's tracklist is likely already predetermined pretty much before Slash or Duff records one note, give or take a song or two, much like Chinese.  Axl's probably revered as a generous god by pretty much all involved, so no one barks too loud.

Whatever has continued to delay said release I think can be chalked up to whatever manufactured issues are being waded through between Axl and Universal.

Yeah I think so too- everything is speculation. I'm struggling to think of examples where anyone has actually said they are recording with GNR, rather than something evasive like 'jamming' or 'playing with ideas'. 

I could be wrong here, but I think everything is just people taking something and running with it.

44 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Is it really being contested whether Slash has recorded extensively for Guns?  It's pretty well documented that he has, so far I've seen.  The only question is what material it was.  I think it's safe to bet that its Axl's stuff.  And while that may not mean we're close to a release, at least it's an important item completed on the check list.  That's as close to positive as I can get.

I'm not sure what this documentation is. Any examples you can think of? 

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash has mentioned that he has recorded stuff for GnR (besides jamming). From the most recent interviews:

January 2020 (so pre-quarantine): 

Jude Gold: Do you play the original Appetite guitar that much? Does it sit behind...

Slash: No, actually I just took it back to the locker the other day. I had it in the studio working on some Guns stuff, so...

Jude Gold: And so what is the plan for Guns? There is a tour coming up?

Slash: There’s everything!

Jude Gold: You still didn’t put something new, I mean...

Slash: No, there’s a new... We’re doing a show for the Super Bowl series and then we’re doing a South American tour, and a European tour in the summer and also coming back to the States. And it is not the Not In This Lifetime Tour. So it’s not labeled that.

Jude Gold: Are you tracking right now? New stuff?

Slash: Oh, there’s all kinds of stuff going on.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4674-2020-03-16-no-guitar-is-safe-podcast-a-chat-with-slash

June 2020:

Slash: I’ve been pretty much a homebody, but I’ve been back and forth between my studio and the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own. I’ve been jamming with Duff, and I’ve been jamming with Axl, and I’ve been doing stuff like that; so we’ve been getting some work done that way. But I haven’t been doing much else. I haven’t been doing any collaborations with the odd artist and whatnot. I’m basically just focusing on writing new music, and recording demos, and recording guitar stuff for Guns and whatnot.

November 2020:

You’re making an album with Myles (Kennedy) and the Conspirators, right?

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

When do you think we’ll hear some of this music?

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5230-2020-11-21-the-oakland-press-slash-talks-guns-n-roses-pinball-machine-touring-new-music#21039

You’ve spent so much of the past few years on tour with either Guns N’ Roses or with Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. Has being at home afforded you the time to just sit and write new music?

Slash: [...] So yeah, I’ve worked with Guns, worked with the Conspirators, worked on a bunch of other ancillary shit outside of those two bands and have just kept myself pretty much playing all the time.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5234-2020-11-24-spin-slash-on-his-love-of-pinball-making-new-music-while-at-home

Thanks - I was sure I wasn’t making up the bit about the original guitar when responding to @allwaystired....you start to wonder sometimes 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Thanks - I was sure I wasn’t making up the bit about the original guitar when responding to @allwaystired....you start to wonder sometimes 🤣

Thanks! 

I think I read these quotes a little differently though with "working on" not necessarily meaning "recording" in my mind. 

"Working on" can mean anything I think. But I'm deliberately choosing to see the glass half empty here, so as not to disappoint myself when nothing happens! 

9 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Thanks! 

I think I read these quotes a little differently though with "working on" not necessarily meaning "recording" in my mind. 

"Working on" can mean anything I think. But I'm deliberately choosing to see the glass half empty here, so as not to disappoint myself when nothing happens! 

If it makes you feel any better....the above bit did say ‘recording’! Recording what...that’s another question i guess!

June 2020:

Slash: I’ve been pretty much a homebody, but I’ve been back and forth between my studio and the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own. I’ve been jamming with Duff, and I’ve been jamming with Axl, and I’ve been doing stuff like that; so we’ve been getting some work done that way. But I haven’t been doing much else. I haven’t been doing any collaborations with the odd artist and whatnot. I’m basically just focusing on writing new music, and recording demos, and recording guitar stuff for Guns and whatnot.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

If it makes you feel any better....the above bit did say ‘recording’! Recording what...that’s another question i guess!

June 2020:

You're right- hadn't spotted that! 

That is cause for optimism. Very cautious optimism mind! 

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You're right- hadn't spotted that! 

That is cause for optimism. Very cautious optimism mind! 

Cautious optimism is the absolute best we can hope for with GNR to be honest! 🤣

• Like 2