The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Forget about CD2 or whatever, the new Dirty Honey record is out today and it's killer.

I never understood why aging legacy bands don't actively work with a talented younger up and coming band that wants to play their style.

It's inevitable that aging will prevent you from doing what you used to do but why not mentor a young group of musicians that CAN pull off what you no longer can.

Like the second editions of a band (like a Guns N' Roses II)  where the old one passes on the torch to the next.

This band seems like they WANT to play with the GNR attitude.....why not work with them?

Then when the time has come..they no longer need the mentors ad can hopefully repeat the process to a Guns N' Roses III

They ARE hungry to release music and the HAVE the chops to deliver...Axl lost those a long time ago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

I never understood why aging legacy bands don't actively work with a talented younger up and coming band that wants to play their style.

It's inevitable that aging will prevent you from doing what you used to do but why not mentor a young group of musicians that CAN pull off what you no longer can.

Like the second editions of a band (like a Guns N' Roses II)  where the old one passes on the torch to the next.

This band seems like they WANT to play with the GNR attitude.....why not work with them?

Then when the time has come..they no longer need the mentors ad can hopefully repeat the process to a Guns N' Roses III

They ARE hungry to release music and the HAVE the chops to deliver...Axl lost those a long time ago.

They opened for GNR (and SMKC) in 2019... that's pretty much all you can hope for with up and coming bands 'working with' GNR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bailey15 said:

I agree with you. One band that I don't get is Halestorm. By now, they should be a stadium/arena act, but they are not. I know they toured with Alice Cooper and Lita Ford, but it was for smaller venues. I think they would be a great opening act for GNR, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, or Metallica. Yet, they are not. In fairness, I was supposed to see Halestorm at the Prudential Center, but it got postponed due to Covid. That's the only time I heard them performing at an arena.  

I mean have a band, like Guns N' Roses as an example,  select a musicians to form a band to be THE next generation/version of their own band and then help mentor them to play like the style of Guns

N' Roses. Help them write, arrange music, produce, teach them about performing, etc.  and then , at some point, have less and less involvement and let them evolve then that band , at some point, find the THIRD Generation of Guns N' Roses.

Like a monarchy succession of Rock!

21 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

I mean have a band, like Guns N' Roses as an example,  select a musicians to form a band to be THE next generation/version of their own band and then help mentor them to play like the style of Guns

N' Roses. Help them write, arrange music, produce, teach them about performing, etc.  and then , at some point, have less and less involvement and let them evolve then that band , at some point, find the THIRD Generation of Guns N' Roses.

Why the hell would any band do that? Why the hell would any fan of a band care about them doing that? What kind of crazy concept is that supposed to be?? I'm a fan of a band. I don't care what musicians they are a fan of. I don't care if they want to turn other musicians into them. I don't care if they form the "Be like GNR school". I'm a fan of the original. I don't care about wannabes. And why would anyone want to give up their own identity to be turned into a knock off of another band?

54 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Why the hell would any band do that? Why the hell would any fan of a band care about them doing that? What kind of crazy concept is that supposed to be?? I'm a fan of a band. I don't care what musicians they are a fan of. I don't care if they want to turn other musicians into them. I don't care if they form the "Be like GNR school". I'm a fan of the original. I don't care about wannabes. And why would anyone want to give up their own identity to be turned into a knock off of another band?

You think the new Guns N' Roses, IF there is a new album, will be as crisp as AFD? There are multiple threads about Axl's deteriorating voice and lack of releasing music. Sometimes you can't do what you used to do but this would be a chance to work with musicians who can and you would still be involved.

4 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

You think the new Guns N' Roses, IF there is a new album, will be as crisp as AFD? There are multiple threads about Axl's deteriorating voice and lack of releasing music. Sometimes you can't do what you used to do but this would be a chance to work with musicians who can and you would still be involved.

But it's not GNR. So why the fuck would anyone care?

And no, I don't think it will be as good as AFD or UYI. So I'm not really in a rush to get a new one. But I'm also not interested in other people sounding like GNR.

Edited by PatrickS77

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

But it's not GNR. So why the fuck would anyone care?

And no, I don't think it will be as good as AFD or UYI. So I'm not really in a rush to get a new one. But I'm also not interested in other people sounding like GNR.

The closest example that I can think of is Oasis...they were known as the New Beatles. Were they the Beatles NO!

They had their own take on it but they worked very hard at being an evolved version of the Beatles.

Many Beatles fans listened to Oasis not because they were them but because they were an original next generation take on them.

32 minutes ago, Bailey15 said:

The closest example that I can think of is Oasis...they were known as the New Beatles. Were they the Beatles NO!

They had their own take on it but they worked very hard at being an evolved version of the Beatles.

Many Beatles fans listened to Oasis not because they were them but because they were an original next generation take on them.

I'm sorry, but that is bullshit. Maybe 15 year old Beatles fans, who discovered the Beatles in '90 (which is kinda like Nu-GNR fans, who discovered GNR in '02). But to suggest that real Beatles fans listened to Oasis because they supposedly sounded "like" the Beatles is ridiculous.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Sometimes I feel like there's nothing that's stopping me
All things are possible, I am unstoppable

The only way you may get more CD with originals is if they were to release a cd box set. Doubtful though since its gnrs least successful record sales wise

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Forget about CD2 or whatever, the new Dirty Honey record is out today and it's killer.

The singles haven't done it for me so far, but I'm hoping there's some great stuff once I check out the rest. Really liked the EP.

6 hours ago, Bailey15 said:

Hell no. I hate this idea. It's like something the Disney corporation would do🤣

I know KISS are talking about the KISS band continuing after Gene and Paul retire, and it might be cool? but would I want to hear new material? no. Why? because KISS without the songwriters, musicians and singers is basically an entirely new band. Concerts? ok if you have to continue the brand; besides that why would people care? it's a new band even if they sound alike.

I believe in letting bands die gracefully, like Rush! No big farewell, just a quite wave and buh-bye! GNR can't really do anything gracefully though😄 There's tribute acts out there too, If you really need a GNR fix after they call it quits go see them. Fortunately I think Axl would never allow such an idea to see the light of day... like how he prevents new music releases

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The singles haven't done it for me so far, but I'm hoping there's some great stuff once I check out the rest. Really liked the EP.

The album is pretty much an extension of the EP... some good stuff but nothing that's really great. There's a thread on it in My World ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vloors said:

The only way you may get more CD with originals is if they were to release a cd box set. Doubtful though since its gnrs least successful record sales wise

That is a good point. Sad, but true. :(

I'm sincerely wondering, is it even probable for Slash to improve on songs that have Robin and Bucket guitar parts on it? I hate to think of what amazing material is in the vault from the CD era, that will have parts once solidified for an album, be re-recorded and brought down a few notches. I suppose it will all come down to Axl. As we saw with CD, he likes all current members to have their parts on the album. So at the very least, of the next album is CD2 (which is likely) it will have some, or all lead guitar parts re-recorded with Slash. 

I'm hoping some of the songs stay as they were pre-reunion with Buckethead, it makes more sense for Slash to re-record Robin's parts. Maybe we will get a few gems with Bucket and Robin's work on the album. That is possible, but I think many or most will be re-recorded by Slash. 

I'm fairly certain Bumblefoot and DJ will be totally removed from anything they have touched that hasn;t been released yet. Axl did like DJ though, seemingly, so you never know...

Edited by Sweersa

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I'm sincerely wondering, is it even probable for Slash to improve on songs that have Robin and Bucket guitar parts on it? I hate to think of what amazing material is in the vault from the CD era, that will have parts once solidified for an album, be re-recorded and brought down a few notches. I suppose it will all come down to Axl. As we saw with CD, he likes all current members to have their parts on the album. So at the very least, of the next album is CD2 (which is likely) it will have some, or all lead guitar parts re-recorded with Slash. 

I'm hoping some of the songs stay as they were pre-reunion with Buckethead, it makes more sense for Slash to re-record Robin's parts. Maybe we will get a few gems with Bucket and Robin's work on the album. That is possible, but I think many or most will be re-recorded by Slash. 

I'm fairly certain Bumblefoot and DJ will be totally removed from anything they have touched that hasn;t been released yet. Axl did like DJ though, seemingly, so you never know...

you do realize that most of us aren't even remotely interested in seeing a note released under GNR moniker unless it has Slash/Duff, Gilby/Izzy or Matt/Steve on it, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

you do realize that most of us aren't even remotely interested in seeing a note released under GNR moniker unless it has Slash/Duff, Gilby/Izzy or Matt/Steve on it, right?

They have to wait. UYI stuff is first on the list.

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Oh Ron and Dj are both scrubbed from the record. Robin and Buckets ideas will make it, but Slash will either re-record them or add another part altogether. 

Like when you think about it the CD sessions were made with the intension of 3 guitar players, so the bands 2 guitars now so at the minimum they have to rearrange and take some parts out so they can recreate it live. I think Slash and Richard will be doing 90% of the guitar work minimum. Would love to hear the untouched album though, but like I've said a bunch I'm happy just hearing an album!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

I got into the band because of and during the CD era, so the nostalgic stuff isn't something I appreciate as much.

• GNFNR 1

On 4/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, Bailey15 said:

My band is probably the closest to GnR II but without being completely derivative. You'll see once we release our EP later this year.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

They opened for GNR (and SMKC) in 2019... that's pretty much all you can hope for with up and coming bands 'working with' GNR.

Yeah

On 4/23/2021 at 3:10 PM, Draguns said:

I agree with you. One band that I don't get is Halestorm. By now, they should be a stadium/arena act, but they are not. I know they toured with Alice Cooper and Lita Ford, but it was for smaller venues. I think they would be a great opening act for GNR, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, or Metallica. Yet, they are not. In fairness, I was supposed to see Halestorm at the Prudential Center, but it got postponed due to Covid. That's the only time I heard them performing at an arena.  

Probably because imo they've kind of run their course. Their best material is on the earlier albums and I feel like most people don't really care anymore. I know I don't, and I used to listen to them religiously back in the day. Now to me they're just another generic modern rock band, nothing really all that unique about them.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:25 PM, Bailey15 said:

What, like KISS? That's called a tribute band and those already exist. Besides, didn't Axl already try to do that with the CD lineup?

On 4/23/2021 at 8:40 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

The album is pretty much an extension of the EP... some good stuff but nothing that's really great. There's a thread on it in My World ;)

I think it would've benefitted from a couple more songs, and something like when I'm gone that just hits it out of the park. They're not bad songs though, but imo the best new rock album this year is the Dead Daisies one with Glenn Hughes. Killer songs and playing, no tracks that you'll want to skip.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sosso said:

I couldn't care less about Gilby and Matt and it's pretty bold to speak for the marority of this forum. 

That is ok, we don't need to agree on the same subject.

Most of us don't consider or care much about post Buenos Aires 17/7/93 or post TSI, for everything post was a tribute band to Matt/Gilby era or epic fail (Chinese Democracy).

Matt played on 3 GNR albums, biggest tour and together with Gilby was a replacement of original band memeber.

Everyone else post Matt or Gilby was just their replacement in a cover band, playing the parts they recorded (Matt), if you can live with that - fine, if not - fine.

30 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Matt played on 3 GNR albums, biggest tour and together with Gilby was a replacement of original band memeber.

The original drummer in Guns N' Roses wasn't Steven, it was Rob Gardner ;) After Rob left, Steven was reluctantly added to the band when they sorely needed a drummer for the Hell Tour and his puppy-eagerness settled the deal. Great drummer and integral to my favorite GN'R lineup, but he wasn't the original drummer of the band :)

Izzy, though, was an original member of the band.

Just being a pedantic ass.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The original drummer in Guns N' Roses wasn't Steven, it was Rob Gardner ;) After Rob left, Steven was reluctantly added to the band when they sorely needed a drummer for the Hell Tour and his puppy-eagerness settled the deal. Great drummer and integral to my favorite GN'R lineup, but he wasn't the original drummer of the band :)

Izzy, though, was an original member of the band.

Just being a pedantic ass.

Of course he's the original drummer of GNR. Only because there was another drummer during the identification stage of the band, while they were changing members and bandnames more often than their clothes?

It klicked when they did the Hell Tour. That's when GNR was born. It was the AFD 5 that singed the deal with Geffen, they wrote the majority of the songs, they were the band which became successful. What did Rob Gardener do? Played two gigs and three rehearsals? That's a technicality IMO. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Of course he's the original drummer of GNR. Only because there was another drummer during the identification stage of the band, while they were changing members and bandnames more often than their clothes?

If we agree that "original" means "the first" or "the initial", then Steven wasn't the original drummer in Guns N' Roses :).

You might dislike it as much as you want, just like I dislike many facts of the world, but it is what it is.

• Like 1