The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

10 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I don’t see any of those leaks as single or even album material. Hardschool has too many lyrics so wouldn’t be a success. Atlas is just a bit boring, lots of repetitive gibberish about being a man. Eye on You is worst GNR song ever. SOG sounded unfinished. 

New material will hopefully go back to the original GNR formula. Riffs and memorable hook chorus.

In my opinion Hardschool would work. About too many lyrics that's what Mutt Lange said about You Shook Me all Night Long and well we know how big of a hit that came. The rest I agree with you, and hopefully new material will go back to the original GNR formula.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I really think a single drops in two weeks before the show.  I feel it in my bones.  Now or never boys and girls.

Eminem just dropped an album out of the blue. We live in hope GNR will. 2020 is a pivotal year for them I think. Do they just want to be a nostalgia touring band or actually a band with some creativity 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, axljungle said:

SOG sounded unfinished , it’s true, but is a great song. A finished version could be unbelievable 

Absolutely. Especially when it's been Slashed up. I always think music sounds better when you have the CD or LP package in your hand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WildStar said:

Eminem just dropped an album out of the blue. We live in hope GNR will. 2020 is a pivotal year for them I think. Do they just want to be a nostalgia touring band or actually a band with some creativity 

Based on history option 1. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Hardschool has too many lyrics so wouldn’t be a success.

There's a song called Paradise City that was even released as a single and has way more lyrics than that.

The thing is: if everyone is hoping for a new release to be a success, this will be a disappointment. It won't matter how good (or bad) the song/album will be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

There's a song called Paradise City that was even released as a single and has way more lyrics than that.

The thing is: if everyone is hoping for a new release to be a success, this will be a disappointment. It won't matter how good (or bad) the song/album will be. 

But wasn't Paradise City released one and a half year after the release of Appetite? I mean, the album had topped the charts by then. I'm not arguing with your point, just your example. Feel free to educate me.

7 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

But wasn't Paradise City released one and a half year after the release of Appetite? I mean, the album had topped the charts by then. I'm not arguing with your point, just your example. Feel free to educate me.

Not sure when it got released, but does that matter? My point was more towards the "too many lyrics" argument. Sure, PC is a way better song, and that's what matters at the end of the day. 

The thing with Hardschool isnt even the ammount of words on it, its a moody song compared to Paradise City that has a very “party” feling overall with an iconic and catchy intro and chorus and a fantastic outro. I dont think we can compare these songs at all.

The chorus on hardschool is great and kinda catchy, but it needs a complete revamp on the intro and verses to get there. Intro and verses are uninteresting at best.

Edited by default_

5 minutes ago, djones1225 said:

For hardschool, cut the first 40 seconds, before the song kicks in, do a intro kinda like Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be not as long though, cut the part 2:23 to 2:45 out, fix the verses & add a badass Slash solo. That's how'd I fix Hardschool.

It also needs a middle eight section.

17 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Ultimately I have to agree

I enjoy the leaks, and when they happened I think the sheer excitement of them really made them more elevated than they really are, in my eyes.  There are some cool ideas there, but I recently revisited them in their entirety and there were not any real "wow" moments for me beyond a chosen few (State of Grace, HS, Atlas, Perhaps) and the early mixes of CD tunes

I think the breakup really proved that the sum of the parts have always been greater than the individual band members.  Cool ideas and moments, however man, the CD demos and CD the finished album, just make me appreciate Izzy's contributions more because those 5 guys really nailed the balance between hit-making melodies and good rock music.

I always laugh at these comments.  You do realize they are DEMOS, ideas, things not meant for us to hear.  Atas has great potential IMO. But no way to tell from some un finished material

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

I always laugh at these comments.  You do realize they are DEMOS, ideas, things not meant for us to hear.  Atas has great potential IMO. But no way to tell from some un finished material

Which is why I also included Chinese Democracy itself in my comment there as well :) 

I don't think it is controversial at this point to say that it is hard for any one of these guys to capture the magic that they all had together, by themselves - and of course it is just my own personal opinion/assessment

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, default_ said:

The thing with Hardschool isnt even the ammount of words on it, its a moody song compared to Paradise City that has a very “party” feling overall with an iconic and catchy intro and chorus and a fantastic outro. I dont think we can compare these songs at all.

The chorus on hardschool is great and kinda catchy, but it needs a complete revamp on the intro and verses to get there. Intro and verses are uninteresting at best.

Personally I love verses in Hardschool but yeah this intro has to go

I really don't get the love for State Of Grace, I can't hear Slash doing anything on that song. Not in a million years.

I'm not a fan of Slash doing CD songs either, it's not up his alley at all.

The one leak I feel like it could be a true GN'R song is Oklahoma. I'm not saying all leaks sucked, not at all. But I can't imagine Slash on any of it.

So I really want to hear what the next album would bring, if there even will be an album. 

47 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

I really don't get the love for State Of Grace, I can't hear Slash doing anything on that song. Not in a million years.

The one leak I feel like it could be a true GN'R song is Oklahoma. I'm not saying all leaks sucked, not at all. But I can't imagine Slash on any of it.

So I really want to hear what the next album would bring, if there even will be an album. 

I can see Slash doing something with Perhaps, theres a nod to Estranged on its guitars but without Slash, that could never work.

10 hours ago, WildStar said:

Out of nowhere, featuring a ton of collabs too. Fuckin' GNR, man. GIVE US MUSIC!

It's crazy how much music GNR gave us from 1987 to 1993 (Appetite, Lies, Use Your Illusion I, Use Your Illusion II, Spaghetti Incident). And we've gotten ONE album from 1993-2019. Holy fuck.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I could easily see Slash on

Perhaps

Atlas Shrugged

Hard School

Devious Bastard

Quicksong

The General (from what we heard)

The rest feels definitely more Finck/Bucket

How about Oklahoma and Elvis? I can totally see him on these two too

2 hours ago, UcudBmine said:

I agree on State Of Grace, altough the chorus has huge potential. But i can definitely hear Slash and Duff doing Hard School, Perhaps and Atlas. Instrumentals like Quick Song, Oklahoma, Monster Of Soul, Tonto etc. could all work in my opinion. Then there are supposedly the tracks from '96, a full unreleased Velvet Revolver album, god knows what other tracks Axl's band finished since 2001 (The General) and who knows, some new songs(they rehearsed some unknown jams in 2017). Let's face it, the material is there. It's just a matter of making a cohesive record out of them. But i fear that the only way to do that is rerecord those songs completely with this line up. That way it will sound fresh and organic. Not that that will happen.