Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"YOU WANTED A NEW ALBUM? WELL THEY DIDN'T FUCKIN' MAKE IT. SO HERE'S WHAT YOU GET, FROM HOLLYWOOD"

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Dean said:

You can bet Tobias will be all over a new record also, which I would be incredibly pleased to see. 

As in playing on it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

As in playing on it?

Naa, as a songwriter much like what happened with Shadow. I'd be surprised if any parts from ex band members are kept this time around, but who knows?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to put something in perspective......Jimi Hendrix has managed 3 albums of new studio material in the last 11 years, that all charted Top 10 in the US, ...and he died 50 years ago.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Euchre said:

Just to put something in perspective......Jimi Hendrix has managed 3 albums of new studio material in the last 11 years, that all charted Top 10 in the US, ...and he died 50 years ago.

Yep and from 66 to 69 he had released 3 studio albums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kranich said:

Maybe we can try writin the new album here ourselves?  More likely to come into fruition.

All we need is Evader and a couple more horribly quality phone recordings of CD era tunes :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Funnily enough, a few years ago when I still made music and my friend had a studio so we could record whenever we wanted I thought about making my own Cd2 going from the titles we knew and trying to make my own guns album.

Atlas in my head before the leak actually sounded a little like the real thing weirdly just slower in my head. I had a great idea for Elvis Presley and the Monsters of Soul that would have had lots of thick rhythm guitars with a really fuzzy distorted lead line that was horrible catchy. Like Iron Maiden meets disco and Thyme was gonna be a sort of satanic ballad with big sweeping strings in the chorus.

 

I was gonna do it in true guns style and have 4 guitarists on each track, sub bass as a Pitman tribute and maybe two drummers playing on each song for no reason. There would be annoyingly long intros to songs that should have been short and fast rockers. And the General would have been 8 minutes, naturally. 

 

Sadly my friend wasn't a Guns fan and had no interest doing this just for fun

Edited by rumandraisin
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Funnily enough, a few years ago when I still made music and my friend had a studio so we could record whenever we wanted I thought about making my own Cd2 going from the titles we knew and trying to make my own guns album.

Atlas in my head before the leak actually sounded a little like the real thing weirdly just slower in my head. I had a great idea for Elvis Presley and the Monsters of Soul that would have had lots of thick rhythm guitars with a really fuzzy distorted lead line that was horrible catchy. Like Iron Maiden meets disco and Thyme was gonna be a sort of satanic ballad with big sweeping strings in the chorus.

 

I was gonna do it in true guns style and have 4 guitarists on each track, sub bass as a Pitman tribute and maybe two drummers playing on each song for no reason. There would be annoyingly long intros to songs that should have been short and fast rockers. And the General would have been 8 minutes, naturally. 

 

Sadly my friend wasn't a Guns fan and had no interest doing this just for fun

Sounds like a lot of work with little reward, just like what Axl's probably thinking. :D

PS: I would like to hear your stuff. :)

Edited by El Guapo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard a ton of interviews recently and the majority of bands with albums ready that are on major labels are being told not to release the album yet. So the labels are saying to wait until it can be promoted. 

So... no gnr album during 2020/2021, fine! But next year has to have a release. There's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't have an album ready by now. 

Korn wrote an entire new record from scratch and recorded it, while the entire band was in different states. Metallica have written at least 10 new songs over zoom and got together in person to flesh out ideas. Slash has had the conspirators come to LA to work on parts. There's clearly so many more examples of acts that are dying to make new music. When gnr come back if they don't also come back with a firm plan for an album release, then they are absolutely not interested in releasing music. 

There will be some who say "let them finish up their touring commitments, then they'll get in the studio, album will be next year" I call BS on that, there's no more waiting next year is 14yrs since the last guns record... that's a long time, longer than the time they were working on Chinese AND they already have the fucking songs recorded 🤣 gnr are just fucked

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I've heard a ton of interviews recently and the majority of bands with albums ready that are on major labels are being told not to release the album yet. So the labels are saying to wait until it can be promoted. 

So... no gnr album during 2020/2021, fine! But next year has to have a release. There's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't have an album ready by now. 

Korn wrote an entire new record from scratch and recorded it, while the entire band was in different states. Metallica have written at least 10 new songs over zoom and got together in person to flesh out ideas. Slash has had the conspirators come to LA to work on parts. There's clearly so many more examples of acts that are dying to make new music. When gnr come back if they don't also come back with a firm plan for an album release, then they are absolutely not interested in releasing music. 

There will be some who say "let them finish up their touring commitments, then they'll get in the studio, album will be next year" I call BS on that, there's no more waiting next year is 14yrs since the last guns record... that's a long time, longer than the time they were working on Chinese AND they already have the fucking songs recorded 🤣 gnr are just fucked

If they can't or won't release a real new studio album next year it will all fall apart surely. Fans and casuals WILL lose interest quickly. It's super boring already. Tickets won't sell cause they have nothing exciting to offer. They are not the Rolling Stones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If they can't or won't release a real new studio album next year it will all fall apart surely. Fans and casuals WILL lose interest quickly. It's super boring already. Tickets won't sell cause they have nothing exciting to offer. They are not the Rolling Stones.

Even the stones have a new record recorded and ready to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, vloors said:

Even the stones have a new record recorded and ready to go.

Hell even Tool managed to put one out in 2019, when Tool beats you to releasing material you know you are in a dire situation lmao

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, vloors said:

Even the stones have a new record recorded and ready to go.

Stones are pretty damn amazing. Must be the best aging band of all time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kranich said:

Stones are pretty damn amazing. Must be the best aging band of all time.

Mick still sounds great too unlike many singers in their late 70s.

Im looking forward to the new album with all new material. The last covers album blue and lonesome sounded great

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, vloors said:

Mick still sounds great too unlike many singers in their late 70s.

Im looking forward to the new album with all new material. The last covers album blue and lonesome sounded great

Yeah the new song with Grohl is also great.

Hope they will do one more tour since i only saw them once and that is the that you want to see multiple times. The things that Mick does on stage. Fuck me man, no frontman can do better.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 8:23 AM, Tom2112 said:

I've heard a ton of interviews recently and the majority of bands with albums ready that are on major labels are being told not to release the album yet. So the labels are saying to wait until it can be promoted. 

Weezer already released two records in 2021. The Struts just released one at the end of 2020. Foo Fighters had a new record. Plenty of bands are releasing records. It's a copout for GNR to delay a record into 2022 if they're blaming coronavirus.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, GnR Chris said:

Weezer already released two records in 2021. The Struts just released one at the end of 2020. Foo Fighters had a new record. Plenty of bands are releasing records. It's a copout for GNR to delay a record into 2022 if they're blaming coronavirus.

Not to mention Taylor Swift's two albums, an AC/DC album, Eminem, Lady Gaga etc etc. Basically, all the big artists you can think of. 

I asked this before and didn't get a response really......who are all these bands that AREN'T releasing music because of Covid? I'm yet to hear of one that had an album planned and haven't released it. 

Anyway.....that argument could vanish like a puff of smoke in about two months if the America tour happens. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vloors said:

Mick still sounds great too unlike many singers in their late 70s.

Im looking forward to the new album with all new material. The last covers album blue and lonesome sounded great

Mick was smart enough to sing in what is pretty much his speaking voice. It didn’t suffer much, plus the dude is still in great shape.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Mick was smart enough to sing in what is pretty much his speaking voice. It didn’t suffer much, plus the dude is still in great shape.

Well weighing 1/3rd Axl's weight surely helps in running around onstage. Even more so when you are almost 80 years old.

Edited by Kranich
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Not to mention Taylor Swift's two albums, an AC/DC album, Eminem, Lady Gaga etc etc. Basically, all the big artists you can think of. 

I asked this before and didn't get a response really......who are all these bands that AREN'T releasing music because of Covid? I'm yet to hear of one that had an album planned and haven't released it. 

Anyway.....that argument could vanish like a puff of smoke in about two months if the America tour happens. 

Exactly. There are definitely some artists who delayed their records. But then a lot eventually saw release once the pandemic started going into 2021. If there's really a GNR record — and let's be honest, there isn't — then the perfect time to drop it would be next month right before the US tour.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Weezer already released two records in 2021. The Struts just released one at the end of 2020. Foo Fighters had a new record. Plenty of bands are releasing records. It's a copout for GNR to delay a record into 2022 if they're blaming coronavirus.

We all know that, but we also know that it's gnr and they are the Kings at the cop out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...