The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

15 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

It is genuinely extremely impressive how this band seemingly wants nothing to do with the idea of releasing music. 

Plenty of other big rock groups and artists have been cranking out music during this pandemic. Hell, even System Of A Down finally got into the studio to record two singles to raise funds for aid groups working in Armenia during the conflict with Azerbaijan last year. 

I don't know if I'd use the word "impressive"....

Well if there was going to be new music now would be the perfect time but as there is no indication of this (and has not been for years apparently) I give up hope of there being any.  I shall not be going to see tham as I want to go to a concert not a sing a long.  The GNR that I came across a year ago is the group of long ago.  But they seem happy, they get big audiances and lots of cash so be it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Well if there was going to be new music now would be the perfect time but as there is no indication of this (and has not been for years apparently) I give up hope of there being any.  I shall not be going to see tham as I want to go to a concert not a sing a long.  The GNR that I came across a year ago is the group of long ago.  But they seem happy, they get big audiances and lots of cash so be it.

Agreed. Though I will admit I bought a ticket for the Glasgow gig but realistically my expectations are so low by this stage - start with ISE, end with PC, lots of Slash guitar wanking, lots of covers and in between song jams, Axl looking and sounding unrecognisable, mixed with the odd moment of "oh aye that's no bad" giving me false hope!

When the Dublin show originally got announced I spoke to a friend of a friend working in PR for either Live Nation or MCD (can't remember which). 

He'd been told that the tour was going to coincide with the reissue of the Use Your Illusion albums and that the setlist would draw more heavily from those albums.

I don't think there's a new album, and I think the best you can hope for are "lost tracks" from the UYI sessions that would inevitably appear on the reissue like Ain't Going Down.

Hardschool could theoretically fall into that category, which could also explain why it was rehearsed.

• Wow 1

19 minutes ago, jamillos said:

How would this guy know what the band may have been rehearsing in the privacy of their studio, provided they've been rehearsing at all? 

That's how they'd been told to promote it.

Edited by SilverMachine

58 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

When the Dublin show originally got announced I spoke to a friend of a friend working in PR for either Live Nation or MCD (can't remember which). 

He'd been told that the tour was going to coincide with the reissue of the Use Your Illusion albums and that the setlist would draw more heavily from those albums.

I don't think there's a new album, and I think the best you can hope for are "lost tracks" from the UYI sessions that would inevitably appear on the reissue like Ain't Going Down.

Hardschool could theoretically fall into that category, which could also explain why it was rehearsed.

A respected person on this forum who knows people in the Australian promotions scene said there was talk of a possible new GNR album before the Aussie tour. Who knows what's happening at this point, lol.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I'm inclined to disagree with Marc on that one. Tracii and Axl (and possibly Izzy) founded the band, i.e. decided to start a new band and came up with the name. Rob was part of the first (=original) lineup, though.

Ha ha - I just saw the post on Twitter and automatically thought of the discussion on here. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

A respected person on this forum who knows people in the Australian promotions scene said there was talk of a possible new GNR album before the Aussie tour. Who knows what's happening at this point, lol.

Who dat?

Just now, SoulMonster said:

If they are going to release an album this year, it is remarkably silent. Before the release of CD there were lots of rumours, leaks and discussions. Now: complete silence.

Yep. People will come up with all sorts of things like "so and so did a surprise release, so GNR might" and all that type of thing, but it's just wishful thinking.

It would also be absolutely ludicrous to try and sell a tour without the tagline of a new album if a new album was coming. No promoter with any sense would do that, whatsoever. They're desperate for a hook for consumers, as any business minded entity are. That they have no hook whatsoever is pretty telling. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yep. People will come up with all sorts of things like "so and so did a surprise release, so GNR might" and all that type of thing, but it's just wishful thinking.

It would also be absolutely ludicrous to try and sell a tour without the tagline of a new album if a new album was coming. No promoter with any sense would do that, whatsoever. They're desperate for a hook for consumers, as any business minded entity are. That they have no hook whatsoever is pretty telling. 

This. Unless they start promoting the upcoming shows very soon in a completly different way it's clear as fuck what we'll get: a different Duff song and Pretty tied up :D

Edited by El Guapo

Just now, El Guapo said:

This. Unless they start promoting the upcoming shows very soon in a completly different way it's clear as fuck what we'll get: a different Duff song and Pretty tied up :D

Yeah, absolutely. And I think people should really expect that and choose whether they want to attend accordingly. I'd say if you go along, pay the high ticket price and are then disappointed, it's on you at this stage. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, absolutely. And I think people should really expect that and choose whether they want to attend accordingly. I'd say if you go along, pay the high ticket price and are then disappointed, it's on you at this stage. 

100%.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SilverMachine said:

This seems far more likely than a new album, with new music.

Maybe 2022 will be the year of CD2?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

If they are going to release an album this year, it is remarkably silent. Before the release of CD there were lots of rumours, leaks and discussions. Now: complete silence.

That is true, we knew at least a few or more months in advance something was happening. It's almost impossible these days to keep a secret with social media these days. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I was all in back in 2016.  Was at the tour opener in Vegas, and front row at Soldier Field in Chicago.  I paid...a lot of money, and did so happily.  But now?  No way in hell I'm paying that kind of money again to see essentially the same setlist give or take a song or two by the same guys, now 5 years older and less interested in sounding great.  No fucking way.  New album or bust.

• Like 2

Just now, sofine11 said:

I was all in back in 2016.  Was at the tour opener in Vegas, and front row at Soldier Field in Chicago.  I paid...a lot of money, and did so happily.  But now?  No way in hell I'm paying that kind of money again to see essentially the same setlist give or take a song or two by the same guys, now 5 years older and less interested in sounding great.  No fucking way.  New album or bust.

I feel the same. I never thought I'd want to skip a GNR tour.....but the combination of prices, and total lack of change or forward motion has pushed me towards it. As you say - I don't see the point in seeing a lesser quality version of something I've seen before. I wish I felt differently. There's a strange mentality that sometimes does the rounds of "the bigger fan you are the more shows you see", and I don't buy into that at all. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Seems like now they're getting what they wanted for quite a while. Get rid of the hardcore fans, please the casuals with as little effort as possible.

Not overly arsed about a reissue of the Illusions.

I'd only really be interested if they remixed and remastered the records and maybe also released decent quality demos and live material.

Still above all would prefer to hear new music.

Edited by Bansidhe