The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

I just came across this quote from Pitman right before the release of CD when asked why GN'R continues to be so popular: 

"It’s snowballed with each generation. If you are committed to what you do and dedicated with no expense spared, then I think people like that. They like the energy of not knowing what’s happening. As long as you come through on your end and put on great live shows and release albums, then people will support you" [Leith FM 98.8, October 23, 2008].

49 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I just came across this quote from Pitman right before the release of CD when asked why GN'R continues to be so popular: 

"It’s snowballed with each generation. If you are committed to what you do and dedicated with no expense spared, then I think people like that. They like the energy of not knowing what’s happening. As long as you come through on your end and put on great live shows and release albums, then people will support you" [Leith FM 98.8, October 23, 2008].

I bet he's happy he's not in the band anymore. Wouldn't like to be a GNR member and have that quote thrown back in my face🤣

56 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The most uncomfortable interview I have ever seen was Pitman, with his arm around the young woman doing the interview for the entirety of it, claiming that a band like Guns N' Roses doesn't need to release albums. This was about 4 years after the quote you mention. Then following that up with him branding NITL a nostalgia tour and cash grab. 

"It's like raaaa-aaaaain on your wedding day..."

• Haha 3

On 5/18/2021 at 8:31 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I wonder what the reaction will be here when the "Ain't Goin Down (remastered) available for streaming" thread drops.

I am still mad we got the instrumental when the version with vocals has been out there forever.

But yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s on a UYI boxset.

According to this article: Slash has been recording demos for the new Guns N’ Roses album using AmpliTube | Guitar World Slash says that he anticipates new music from GN'R this year and that he has made a bunch of demo songs for the band. After listening to the video in the article, though, the part of new music wasn't there and I don't believe those demos were necessarily for GN'R.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

According to this article: Slash has been recording demos for the new Guns N’ Roses album using AmpliTube | Guitar World Slash says that he anticipates new music from GN'R this year and that he has made a bunch of demo songs for the band. After listening to the video in the article, though, the part of new music wasn't there and I don't believe those demos were necessarily for GN'R.

That makes you wonder if the part where he says new GN'R music is coming this year is pure fabrication from Guitar World or is it something that was cut?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

That makes you wonder if the part where he says new GN'R music is coming this year is pure fabrication from Guitar World or is it something that was cut?

It says, "Slash has said..." I believe it's just based on what Slash has said in other interviews. The most recent interview when he said something was this one from last December:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/12/slashs-new-pinball-game-brings-concert-experience-to-guns-n-roses-fans-in-a-new-format.html

• Like 1

Here we go again:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/slash-has-been-using-amplitube-for-new-guns-n-roses-demos

But where does he state that those songs are for GNR?

And another one:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/slash-amplitube-demos

"Slash has said he anticipates new Guns N’ Roses music to arrive this year, but writing has taken place far from the LA rehearsal rooms that would have once played host to the hard-rock icons’ fresh ideas – instead, the guitar legend has been turning to IK Multimedia’s AmpliTube to write and record riffs for the highly anticipated effort."

Edit: Sorry, late!

Edited by ThePreacher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

"pushing forward with things". Just classic GNR lingo. 

To Chris' defense, I believe he was hoping/expecting that the release of CD in November 2008 was the start of something great and that they would follow-up with more releases over the next few years. It wasn't just an empty sentence to please fans. And I think Chris, like Robin and Bucket are probably more disappointed than us that all that has been released so far is one album.

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

To Chris' defense, I believe he was hoping/expecting that the release of CD in November 2008 was the start of something great and that they would follow-up with more releases over the next few years. It wasn't just an empty sentence to please fans. And I think Chris, like Robin and Bucket are probably more disappointed than us that all that has been released so far is one album.

I know, I know, I'm just kinda alergic to all these vague phrases. God knows we're fed them on a regular basis. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think one possibility might be that Axl is simply not a very prolific songwriter, or that that he is prolific for the most part in spurts, like late 1999 when he wrote most of CD. In December 2008 Axl said there were enough CD era tracks to make a double album. Let's say he really did release CD II "next bat time, next bat channel" in November 2009. He could have been left with nothing left in the tank after that, and since he wouldn't know when his writing muse would hit again, that could be a daunting feeling for a man who planned on not retiring for decades to come.

I know we've heard from DJ that Axl was writing songs on the piano around 2010 but we don't know how many of these songs are ever actually finished or how many he actually writes in general. Since it seems from his China exchange interview in 2016 and Slash/Duff's 2018/2019 interviews the bulk of the material for the next record is still CD II, I think he may have been afraid to release that material because that's all he has.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 7:56 AM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Since it seems from his China exchange interview in 2016 and Slash/Duff's 2018/2019 interviews the bulk of the material for the next record is still CD II, I think he may have been afraid to release that material because that's all he has.

That's an interesting thought. With the village, and other leaks, we have heard a third or more of CD2, and others whom are more privileged than most who have or had access to all/most material of that era say if they think of CD era material as being a double album, the 2008 CD was a sampler between the two, in other words, CD2 is of the similar level of quality and type of material that CD had.

Thinking positive here, if the next album is mostly or all CD2 with Slash and Duff (most likely case IMO) maybe their involvement will help dial them back a bit, to a level similar to the village mixes and less overproduced than the later leaks and eventual album in 2008. The 2008 album, which I love, does suffer from overproduction. Long, elaborate intros, cricket sounds in TWAT, low bass guitar and cool elements buried that were featured more prominently in previous demos, all comes to mind.

And I know this is a long shot, but for the love of God, please, please keep the best of the Buckethead and Robin Finck parts, and as much of Brain's drums tracks as possible. Assuming CD2 has some heavy Bucket type songs as CD did, Slash wouldn't fit those very well, Richard could pull it off. Maybe they are going that route. I could live with that. Slash doing Robin's parts, and Richard doing Bucket's parts. It could work. Maybe Frank can pull a miracle or two in the studio too. He seemed OK on the 2008 album.

• Like 2