The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

54 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This thread is like a long running gag. Just as everyone sorta got their fix of seeing GNR live and some dwindling ticket sales they now had the pandemic to gather up interest in live shows again, and can tour on that alone now for another 1-2 years without needing a new album. And they also got the UYI anniversary to promote in September, lol.

IMO, if they didn't finish an album during the time since March 2020 to today, when no one had anything to do, they will never release an album. There is just no logical reason left then, except that Axl doesn't want to release anything.

Yep. As each week goes past I think it's less and less likely anything happens. 

Still....best to keep the thread lively! 

The first show in July should be the telltale sign.

If they introduce a new song, everything points to a new LP, or EP.

If they play the hits and a few deep cuts from yesteryear, it’s another nostalgia tour, and there’s nothing new coming.

That’s why I’m on the fence about going to the Fenway show. I don’t need a rerun of the Gillette Stadium shows from 2016.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I'm only 25 so I've only seen GnR live a few times in the 2010s ... I will go to any show I can to see my favorite band live no matter how repetitive the show itself is ... Axl will be 60 next year and I don't see him touring much longer

Yeah and one third of his life was spent touring Chinese Democracy….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

The first show in July should be the telltale sign.

If they introduce a new song, everything points to a new LP, or EP.

If they play the hits and a few deep cuts from yesteryear, it’s another nostalgia tour, and there’s nothing new coming.

That’s why I’m on the fence about going to the Fenway show. I don’t need a rerun of the Gillette Stadium shows from 2016.

GnR generally adds to the set as the tour goes on.  If nothing new is played in Hershey that doesn't mean that it isn't coming later in the tour.

2 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

GnR generally adds to the set as the tour goes on.  If nothing new is played in Hershey that doesn't mean that it isn't coming later in the tour.

My thoughts as well. I also remember Fernando saying in his chat that Hardschool likely would’ve been performed at a later date had the 2020 tour not been cancelled

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

My thoughts as well. I also remember Fernando saying in his chat that Hardschool likely would’ve been performed at a later date had the 2020 tour not been cancelled

As somebody going to the first show of the tour this is a bummer lol. But it's the only one I can attend.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

I just wish they don't tour for another year with just Hardschool as the "new" song.

They should start testing out new material to familiarize the casuals in the crowd.

• Like 2

They had an entire year off to polish up and complete an album. No excuses such as touring too much.  They all have studios in their homes and access to anything they need, so Covid can’t be used as an excuse either.  If a new album doesn’t happen this summer, it’s not going to happen.  5 years into this tour and 13 from Chinese democracy is more than enough time.  I think any hope is just about gone for new music. 

Edited by yourcrazy
Spelling
  • Like 2

Man opening the first show with Hardschool would be so killer ... Almost nobody in the crowd will have any idea what it is and they'll go nuts as the guitar riffs & drums come in and the song picks up then Axl runs out deep low voice "All cautions made..." 

That would be so cool & not corporate though so it'll never happen ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Man opening the first show with Hardschool would be so killer ... Almost nobody in the crowd will have any idea what it is and they'll go nuts as the guitar riffs & drums come in and the song picks up then Axl runs out deep low voice "All cautions made..." 

That would be so cool & not corporate though so it'll never happen ...

I disagree.  When I saw GnR in 2006 and they played unreleased songs like Better for example the crowd was dead and just looking around at each other because they didn't know what song was being played.  You want your opening song to hype up the crowd.  Playing something that 99% there won't know isn't going to hype them up.  Save any new song for like the 4th song in the set and talk about it first.

• Like 2

It's So Easy is such a great song to open up with because it's not until 1,5 minute into the song that Axl hits that high ''FUCK OFF'' scream and that's what everyone is waiting for. When I saw them a few years back everyone started cheering as soon as he hit that scream. And no, it didn't sound like Mickey. He actually sounded good that show.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

When i saw them at Wembley '91 they opened with Perfect Crime and half the concert was unreleased UYI material, it worked really well. 

We had to wait another few weeks to get the albums.

Different times...in 91 pretty much everything they played on stage sounded great ..now, it would probably be better to release new stuff before it gets played live, I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Same. A self-titled album during the CD era would have been a great statement. 

Absolutely not. Nobody in the press regarded CD as a legitimate GNR album, and for obvious reasons. Trying to bring legitimacy to an ever changing line up by releasing a self titled album would not have been well received! When people generally think of GNR, they don't think of a man with a yellow rain coat on, with an upside down KFC bucket on his noggin, and a Michael Myres mask!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's about time to change this thread's name.

A name that's not related to music and that's not related to anything new.

Maybe 'Big ol' fart' would be a proper name by now...

Yeah we might as well just call this thread “The New Album That’ll Never Happen.”

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Nobody in the press regarded CD as a legitimate GNR album, and for obvious reasons. 

We must not be from the same timeline.

By that logic, the next album will be partially legitimate as a GN'R album since Slash will probably just shit on CD2 a bit. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

We must not be from the same timeline.

By that logic, the next album will be partially legitimate as a GN'R album since Slash will probably just shit on CD2 a bit. 

I could be mistaken here, but I don't recall at any point during the nu-Guns era, many/any journalists accepting the ever changing line ups as legitimate GNR lineups. Most people saw it for it was; an Axl Rose solo band. And that's perfectly fine like. Had he managed to get his act together after the Rock In Rio 2001 relaunch then there is a chance people would have potentially accepted the band as a legitimate follow on from the Slash-era. But we know how that worked out!

• Like 1