The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

At this point I’m fine with there only being four albums (AFD, UYI1, UYI2, CD), as I feel all four of those tell a complete “story” together.

And yeah I see Lies as just an EP/ mini-LP and not a studio album (I know the first half isn’t really live but it’s still “presented” as such). And I don’t count TSI either cause I feel an album should consist of at least half originals to be considered a proper studio album and not just a covers album.

I would feel the same if we got CD as a double or CD2 shortly after. There's some tracks on there that would have wrapped it up a bit better than CD.

Just now, Sweersa said:

I would feel the same if we got CD as a double or CD2 shortly after. There's some tracks on there that would have wrapped it up a bit better than CD.

Maybe if the new album really is a mix of old and new (assuming it even happens, which it probably won’t) it might bring things “full circle.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

At this point I’m fine with there only being four albums (AFD, UYI1, UYI2, CD), as I feel all four of those tell a complete “story” together.

And yeah I see Lies as just an EP/ mini-LP and not a studio album (I know the first half isn’t really live but it’s still “presented” as such). And I don’t count TSI either cause I feel an album should consist of at least half originals to be considered a proper studio album and not just a covers album.

I kinda get what you are saying but MetallicAs Garage Inc is very much an album for me (hell - it’s a double 🤣) and it’s an absolute cracker too.

Just now, Sweersa said:

One of many, many missed opportunities of this band. I was thinking about that as I organized my CD shelf with their albums a day or two ago. Lies and TSI, I don't really count those as albums really, they barely qualify, and one isn't original material.

So you have AFD and the Illusions and CD. So basically a 4-5 album band. Nothing new since 2008, and prior to that, 1993. Pretty pathetic. At the very least, CD2 being released prior to the "reunion" would have made it a way easier pill to swallow. Just to get the best out of that era out there and pave the way for a proper, actual new album with the current lineup.  

Oh for sure. Sadly, one of the main things that I think now with GNR is the missed opportunities and wasted potential. It's just genuinely sad. 

History will remember them in two ways; for big fans the wasted chances will probably dominate, and for casual fans they'll be remembered as doing a good album in the 80s then being largely irrelevant 

Ah, it makes me too annoyed to think of it. I still hope it won't end this way. This band are too good for it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Free Bird said:

The Illusions are too big, sold way too much and produced too many hits to be irrelevant in any shape or form. And that's without considering the trilogy videos and the notorious UYI-Tour. They will be remembered as the biggest band in the late 80s and early 90s and probably as the last real rock n roll band.

Even talkin about AFD as one 'good' album is bullshit and you know that.

Well yeah, of course....but in the eyes of a lot of people, it's AFD they'll be remembered by for sure. There were people around me on the NITL tour who thought Illusion tracks were unreleased material, mad as that sounds! 

• Wow 1

16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Well yeah, of course....but in the eyes of a lot of people, it's AFD they'll be remembered by for sure. There were people around me on the NITL tour who thought Illusion tracks were unreleased material, mad as that sounds! 

Wow

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I know a guy who thinks GnR was a Sex Pistols type band that broke up after only one album. Tho I imagine most people out there know what the UYI albums are.

There's an interesting thing to think about actually- if they had done that (one album and split), I wonder how they would now be regarded? 

One of the greats, or, without all the promotion and following years, would AFD just be a totally niche overlooked classic to some people? 

Edited by allwaystired

It boggles my mind that even casuals overlook the UYI albums - their release was probably one of THE biggest events in regards to promotion and anticipation. Plus they sold ridiculous amounts too. So it always get me that folk go to the gigs and barely recognise the stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

It boggles my mind that even casuals overlook the UYI albums - their release was probably one of THE biggest events in regards to promotion and anticipation. Plus they sold ridiculous amounts too. So it always get me that folk go to the gigs and barely recognise the stuff.

I mean, technically, it was like four albums all at the same time. It probably overwhelmed people. Too much all at once usually excites people in the moment but then doesn’t have as much lasting power. Kinda like the 1978 Kiss solo albums, I suppose. But the good news is that is diehards got more material.

Edited by rocknroll41

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There are Illusion tracks that aren't much known in public, for sure. But if those people you met thought that November Rain, Don’t Cry and KOHD were unreleased material, than it tells more about them than about the popularity of GNR.

I know A LOT of people who aren't interested in rock music in the slightest and even they know the big hits. These are people who wouldn't consider going to a GNR concert at all.

I'm pretty sure people like those you met wouldn't even know You're Crazy, or Think About You. That doesn't make AFD to a worthless record within the music history.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

There are Illusion tracks that aren't much known in public, for sure. But if those people you met thought that November Rain, Don’t Cry and KOHD were unreleased material, than it tells more about them than about the popularity of GNR.

I know A LOT of people who aren't interested in rock music in the slightest and even they know the big hits. These are people who wouldn't consider going to a GNR concert at all.

I'm pretty sure people like those you met wouldn't even know You're Crazy, or Think About You. That doesn't make AFD to a worthless record within the music history.

Hold on- that's not really what I was saying. 

My point was that GNR's legacy could well be a lot of "what if" or "AFD" now. I think those are the two main things to people. 

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

The Illusions are too big, sold way too much and produced too many hits to be irrelevant in any shape or form. And that's without considering the trilogy videos and the notorious UYI-Tour. They will be remembered as the biggest band in the late 80s and early 90s and probably as the last real rock n roll band.

Even talkin about AFD as one 'good' album is bullshit and you know that.

I would agree that the Illusions are great albums. But the number of threads and conversations around 'the ideal single album Illusion tracklist' alludes to the fact that they are not held in the same regard as AFD, even by GNR fans. There are some great tracks on them for sure, but there is some utter shite as well. Though to be fair, I don't think they are held in anywhere near the same disdain as say The Stones Roses' Second Coming album (which is unfairly panned), but AFD is viewed by critics as 'the one'.

There

2 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I would agree that the Illusions are great albums. But the number of threads and conversations around 'the ideal single album Illusion tracklist' alludes to the fact that they are not held in the same regard as AFD, even by GNR fans. There are some great tracks on them for sure, but there is some utter shite as well. Though to be fair, I don't think they are held in anywhere near the same disdain as say The Stones Roses' Second Coming album (which is unfairly panned), but AFD is viewed by critics as 'the one'.

There are great albums that aren't as great as AFD. UYI I and II belong to this group, imo. I never said they're on the same level as AFD but they still had a big impact. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

There

There are great albums that aren't as great as AFD. UYI I and II belong to this group, imo. I never said they're on the same level as AFD but they still had a big impact. 

I'd say they probably had more impact at the time (didn't they sell more?) but history has come to hold AFD in much higher regard among people who aren't so interested. 

In my view though, the Illusions are better AFD.....but that's just a personal choice thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I'd say they probably had more impact at the time (didn't they sell more?) but history has come to hold AFD in much higher regard among people who aren't so interested. 

In my view though, the Illusions are better AFD.....but that's just a personal choice thing. 

They had more immediate impact for sure. AFD took a year or so to take off. But when it did... 

For many years I never listed to Appetite as I had just played it to death when I was younger. But I stuck it on again recently and I was right back in there, like a child! But I think I would likely agree with you on the preferring the Illusions. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

I prefer the Illusions albums but can appreciate that AFD is a more solid effort.

You just don't get the same variety on AFD,

I like variety, and I like GN'R seemingly released their vault of listenable material at the time with the double illusions. I've given both albums many fair listens, and I still feel like they have a lot of filler, but I usually skip those tracks and enjoy the ones I like, which includes the big hits and some of the deeper cuts.

• Like 2