Jump to content

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Maybe they were referring to the filler songs between those two albums, and not the hits like NR.

Pretty much what I was trying to say as per above! ūü§£

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"YOU WANTED A NEW ALBUM? WELL THEY DIDN'T FUCKIN' MAKE IT. SO HERE'S WHAT YOU GET, FROM HOLLYWOOD"

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Posted Images

On 6/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, 19AT5 said:

Oh aye, band lineups do change and sometimes those changes are better! I'm a huge fan of Sabbath and Purple fan, and both bands have had multiple lineup changes over the years (big fan of the Gillan and Coverdale-eras as well as Ozzy and Dio-eras). But rarely do bands have 2 such iconic figures in the same vein as Axl and Slash (and to lesser degree Duff) which really come to define the band's public persona. Axl's public credibility was low after the early 90s diva years and he made a big statement basically firing everybody and starting afresh. Or attempting to. For all the hurrah over the 2002 lineup, they basically played the entire AFD album, a few tracks off the rest, along with 4 or 5 new tracks. If he wanted to do a Fleetwood Mac and completely reinvent the band, he didn't exactly embrace it by playing all the old material. But why did he do that? Because that's what the broader fanbase wanted. Bar a few people on GNR forums, most people didn't know who was in the band. I'm not sure how much worse the CD-era could have gotten, because there were points which were eye wateringly cringey (e.g. Leeds 2010, Bridge School, Rock in Rio/yellow rain coat, Dublin walk off, multiple cancelled tours, 2002 MTV VMAs, the list goes on). Had the CD-era been more cohesive, more people would take it seriously as a genuine follow on from the original-era. 

 

What was Leeds 2010?

Huge Purple and Sabbath fan as well. I'd sort of argue both those bands also had two big hitters at least initially (Gillan and Blackmore, Ozzy and Iommi) but the key difference was when those bands continued they continued to release a lot of music. I'm a massive Morse-era Purple fan for example, and love Cross Purposes, Headless Cross and Tyr. Your last sentence is the reality - they should have been more cohesive but when Robin and Bucket started dropping away due to inactivity that opportunity was gone. They were the main "artists", with hindsight it was a lost cause then onwards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

What was Leeds 2010?

Huge Purple and Sabbath fan as well. I'd sort of argue both those bands also had two big hitters at least initially (Gillan and Blackmore, Ozzy and Iommi) but the key difference was when those bands continued they continued to release a lot of music. I'm a massive Morse-era Purple fan for example, and love Cross Purposes, Headless Cross and Tyr. Your last sentence is the reality - they should have been more cohesive but when Robin and Bucket started dropping away due to inactivity that opportunity was gone. They were the main "artists", with hindsight it was a lost cause then onwards.

When they played Reading the weekend prior, Axl showed up late,¬†and then the festival organizers shut the sound system down halfway through¬†the setlist. So¬†then Axl grabbed a megaphone and told the crowd ‚Äúwe will not be playing Leeds next weekend.‚ÄĚ But then I guess the promoters must‚Äôve threatened to sue¬†him or something cause he still showed up to Leeds, but was once again late and totally phoning it in and, once again, the organizers cut the sound system off about halfway through¬†the set. NuGnR became an even bigger joke than they already were after that.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Wow 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Has anyone listened to Duff's and Susan's show on Sirius to verify this?

 

Quotes like this are giving hope everytime until the reality strikes back and we realize there just isn't a new record coming. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Has anyone listened to Duff's and Susan's show on Sirius to verify this?

 

New album is coming / lots of material. It's the same info. I'd like for him to say "we were in the studio tracking in May, there's work going on on and off" this "there's lots of material written" thing holds no water with me, is it recorded past your garage band demo? They'll never answer this directly though. Mystique! Maaaan!

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Quotes like this are giving hope everytime until the reality strikes back and we realize there just isn't a new record coming. 

I think there is an intention, it's just the follow through vs the touring prospect. I guess they can't tease this album forever, but they will try!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Quotes like this are giving hope everytime until the reality strikes back and we realize there just isn't a new record coming. 

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

New album is coming / lots of material. It's the same info. I'd like for him to say "we were in the studio tracking in May, there's work going on on and off" this "there's lots of material written" thing holds no water with me, is it recorded past your garage band demo? They'll never answer this directly though. Mystique! Maaaan!

Yeah, I know, but even that is better than no updates at all.

I was just wondering if anyone listened to it and could verify that Duff even said that or what what he said exactly.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I know, but even that is better than no updates at all.

I was just wondering if anyone listened to it and could verify that Duff even said that or what what he said exactly.

 

I agree. I couldn't listen to that many Duff jokes, it wouldn't be conducive to good healthūüėÄ

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rocknroll41 said:

When they played Reading the weekend prior, Axl showed up late,¬†and then the festival organizers shut the sound system down halfway through¬†the setlist. So¬†then Axl grabbed a megaphone and told the crowd ‚Äúwe will not be playing Leeds next weekend.‚ÄĚ But then I guess the promoters must‚Äôve threatened to sue¬†him or something cause he still showed up to Leeds, but was once again late and totally phoning it in and, once again, the organizers cut the sound system off about halfway through¬†the set. NuGnR became an even bigger joke than they already were after that.

Yep, I was there for that particular treat! It was the same weekend though - reading was friday, leeds sunday (if memory serves!) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom2112 said:

New album is coming / lots of material. It's the same info. I'd like for him to say "we were in the studio tracking in May, there's work going on on and off" this "there's lots of material written" thing holds no water with me, is it recorded past your garage band demo? They'll never answer this directly though. Mystique! Maaaan!

I think there is an intention, it's just the follow through vs the touring prospect. I guess they can't tease this album forever, but they will try!

I'd probably take "to be honest, we've barely even thought about it, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon" now, if that's the truth. Which I feel it probably is. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yep, I was there for that particular treat! It was the same weekend though - reading was friday, leeds sunday (if memory serves!) 

You’re right. My bad!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I know, but even that is better than no updates at all.

I was just wondering if anyone listened to it and could verify that Duff even said that or what what he said exactly.

 

If he has said it exactly that way, then it's a statement. No "I guess", "I hope", "I think"... then again, we're talking about GNR here. Experience told us not to be optimistic.

But I would be lying if I would say that I don’t care for this informations. Everytime I visit this forum I hope to read something like that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

If he has said it exactly that way, then it's a statement. No "I guess", "I hope", "I think"... then again, we're talking about GNR here. Experience told us not to be optimistic.

But I would be lying if I would say that I don’t care for this informations. Everytime I visit this forum I hope to read something like that. 

Yeah, that's mostly why I brought it up - and also because he wasn't answering a question (since it's a show he and Susan host, where he puts music and they talk a bit in between). Otherwise I wouldn't have taken notice.

3 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Surely some bloke called Ryan tweeting second hand information he heard from a Sirius show is not how the album updates will get announced?!

Yes, this is why I asked if someone else has heard Duff saying it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Surely some bloke called Ryan tweeting second hand information he heard from a Sirius show is not how the album updates will get announced?!

Nobody's saying that, but it would surely be nice to know that exact Duff's wording. It's not like the guys talk about this kind of stuff on a daily basis anyway, is it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, I know, but even that is better than no updates at all.

I was just wondering if anyone listened to it and could verify that Duff even said that or what what he said exactly.

 

Just for the sake of argument, Even if Duff used those words and someone could verify, so what? He doesn't have the last word. Maybe not even Axl has the last word. There is the record company, publishing rights and things like that. And the band has to deal with those issues. Who called the shots when the AFD box set came up? How we got the official news about it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I don't really know what Sirius is, can we not just go back and listen like a podcast recording?

https://blog.siriusxm.com/duff-mckagan-is-back-with-three-chords-the-truth-show-on-ozzys-boneyard/#:~:text=Duff McKagan%2C legendary Guns N,Truth on Ozzy's Boneyard (Ch.&text=McKagan recently collaborated on Ozzy,Andrew Watt and Chad Smith.

According to this page, there's a new episode of the show each week and they broadcast it Friday through Tuesday. If Duff did mention something about a new album in the last episode, I think we may have missed our shot at hearing it assuming that there's a new episode each Friday and the show won't be broadcast tomorrow (Thursday).

That being said, I have no idea how SiriusXM works and if there's a way to listen to past episodes on demand or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

https://blog.siriusxm.com/duff-mckagan-is-back-with-three-chords-the-truth-show-on-ozzys-boneyard/#:~:text=Duff McKagan%2C legendary Guns N,Truth on Ozzy's Boneyard (Ch.&text=McKagan recently collaborated on Ozzy,Andrew Watt and Chad Smith.

According to this page, there's a new episode of the show each week and they broadcast it Friday through Tuesday. If Duff did mention something about a new album in the last episode, I think we may have missed our shot at hearing it assuming that there's a new episode each Friday and the show won't be broadcast tomorrow (Thursday).

That being said, I have no idea how SiriusXM works and if there's a way to listen to past episodes on demand or not.

Last week's episode is currently on the Sirius XM app but it looks like it's 5 hours long?  So I'm not going to bother lol 

35 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I don't really know what Sirius is, can we not just go back and listen like a podcast recording?

Sirius XM is satellite radio.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




√ó
√ó
  • Create New...