The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is how I felt up until the last record.... Garbage from beginning to end... I though AL had some great songs.. WOF was pretty damn solid even with Myles but the last one was terrible to my ears..  The first solo album had some great stuff too... even the two Myles songs. 

I just can repeat myself here ;)

I felt the same as you about the last record based on the singles that were released prior the album itself. But when hearing the actual record I complete changed my mind. Still don't like the first singles but the rest is a bit "bluesier" compared to the metal sounding WOF. The guitar solos are well structured, more GNR like, I think, and even Myles doesn't penetrate my ears on the ballads and on songs like Read Between The Lines and Boulevard of Broken Hearts.

I have to agree to Gravedancer. That was always my favorite song on Libertad.

Edited by Free Bird

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Scott was definitely phoning it in, to me the Stone Temple Pilots "reunion" album with him in 2010 suffered from the same lack of emotional connection and energy.  Libertad and that album are just completely lackluster compared to what Scott was capable of which is a damn shame because that dude in his prime IMO was one of the greats of his generation

The self titled STP record shits all over Libertad. Between The Lines, First Kiss On Mars, Fast As I can, Huckleberry Crumble... all great Weiland moments.

Only decent track to come from Libertad was Messages which they were too dumb to even put on the actual record. 

4 minutes ago, siraddam said:

When did this thread start? Still no sign of an album coming anytime soon.

instead of starting a million threads to talk about 1 topic (new music) most of the discussion is concentrated here.

8 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Libertad is full of uninspired, bland sounding songs, that don’t go anywhere, and the guitar tones are rubbish. Which to me, when you have Slash in the band, is completely inexcusable.

Contraband is a pretty great modern hard rock album, with some nods to classic rock. And it showed so much promise too.

But then we got the half-assed Libertad that didn’t really build on the potential that Contraband showed...

And yes, this is where the discussion about a new GN’R album is going... to discussing the wasted potential of VR’s second album

I think Libertad was supposed to be a darker record, a bit more ploddy. I don't think they were trying to recreate Contraband, but obviously there's a few attempts with songs like Let it roll etc. I do agree that there are some half assed moments on it. But then you get songs like Mary Mary, Gravedancer, for a brother, the last fight etc. She builds quick machines would have been a great song had we not heard Slither, set me free and all those other type riffy songs from contraband, it is still good though just not great.

They were clearly on their way out as a band though, relapses, in-fighting. I really wish I had seen them, but it nay wasn't ta be!

14 minutes ago, vloors said:

New song with Frank on drums. He always sounds so flat. Really hope his replaced in gnr. 

The drum mix is horrible, for whatever reason they've made the snare bone dry. I think if the snare was replaced with a snappier one and they gave it a bit more reverb/compression he'd sound much better. Now... his closed h-hat on the verses, that's a stylistic choice which is fine, but I hate it😄 

As for him being replaced, unless Frank's caught on a webcam like David Ellefson there's zero chance of him going anywhere.

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, vloors said:

New song with Frank on drums. He always sounds so flat. Really hope his replaced in gnr. 

Sounds like another AC/DC ripoff, just like the previous songs they released last year. Also the lyrics and singing are terrible.

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

As for him being replaced, unless Frank's caught on a webcam like David Ellefson there's zero chance of him going anywhere.

True, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sounds like another AC/DC ripoff, just like the previous songs they released last year. Also the lyrics and singing are terrible.

True, unfortunately 

Agree absolute garbage

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 5:28 AM, Tom2112 said:

The drum mix is horrible, for whatever reason they've made the snare bone dry. I think if the snare was replaced with a snappier one and they gave it a bit more reverb/compression he'd sound much better.

I couldn't agree more. Needs more ambiance on drums. :)

More on topic... what a sin it will be if Frank re-records all of Brain's drums on CD2. Hopefully, it will be like 2008's CD and they give him one or two songs for a full drum take, with bits of others and leave Brain (or Josh) on the rest. I realize this is unlikely, but one can dream...

I'm most concerned what will happen to the heavy Bucket and Brain contributions. Probably best to leave them off, and keep them as-is and save for a future anniversary release of CD.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I couldn't agree more. Needs more ambiance on drums. :)

More on topic... what a sin it will be if Frank re-records all of Brain's drums on CD2. Hopefully, it will be like 2008's CD and they give him one or two songs for a full drum take, with bits of others and leave Brain (or Josh) on the rest. I realize this is unlikely, but one can dream...

I'm most concerned what will happen to the heavy Bucket and Brain contributions. Probably best to leave them off, and keep them as-is and save for a future anniversary release of CD.

Yeah, I think it's up in the air as to how Frank would play on a full Guns record could easily go either way! I have a feeling they'd reel him in if he was going way off the register.

I think to silence the naysayers the best bet is to replace everything... unfortunately that would mean basically starting from scratch! and that Axl spent millions on really high quality demos😄 Ah well, he can only blame himself for letting the band that wrote the record fall apart. 

I think any GNR record would benefit from the basic tracking being cut with a live band. I love CD, but when you heard those songs live for the first time that was a whole other energy kinda missing from the record, which is recorded and edited to perfection (by edited, I mean zero squeaks, hisses etc. not arrangements).

If they were really nice they'd release the album with Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank, Dizzy, Melissa and Axl and then as a bonus edition a year later release the "alternate extended edition" with the album that was basically ready to go in 2014. One can dream!😄 I'd happily pay €50 for that release.

• Like 1

Just now, El Guapo said:

I hope everything Chinese will be thrown away for now, he can release it later for those who want to hear it.

100% yes. Fully agree. People advocating a spliced drum track from 1997 and 2006, a vocal track from 2002, with newly recorded guitar and bass parts mixed with guitar parts recorded in 1998, 2001, 2005 and 2010 are off their bloody heads!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

100% yes. Fully agree. People advocating a spliced drum track from 1997 and 2006, a vocal track from 2002, with newly recorded guitar and bass parts mixed with guitar parts recorded in 1998, 2001, 2005 and 2010 are off their bloody heads!

It's impossible to create great music this way, it would be such a turn off and most likely end up being shit. So that's probably exactly what will happen.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

It's impossible to create great music this way, it would be such a turn off and most likely end up being shit. So that's probably exactly what will happen.

It's hard enough trying to apply that approach when it is the same player(s) on all recordings. Let alone different players with different styles, recorded in different studios, in different decades!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I hope everything Chinese will be thrown away for now, he can release it later for those who want to hear it.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Yes 100%

Also if that's what we're going to get with Frank on a new GnR record then they need to have someone else play for the studio, or just not do a new album at all. I don't want it ruined with whatever it is he's doing there. Get Fitzy or better yet Adler/Matt.

• Like 1

Not sure if you guys heard but a group of scientists just found a worm that had been frozen for 24,000 years and when they thawed it out it was still alive, so we now have proof that you can freeze living organisms and keep them alive for long periods of time.

So that being said, if I freeze myself right now, will one of you come thaw me out when the new GnR album is finally released? I mean, it’s not like it’ll still take 24,000 more years, right?… Right?…

Is the current lineup even capable to making an entirely new album? Instrumentally, of course. But creatively, one wonders. Frank's parts on the 2008 album were ok, I thought, but Brain was on a large bulk of the record so that didn't hurt. It would be nice if they could get Josh or Matt to record for them in the studio again, maybe have Steve play on a few fitting tracks too. As for Josh, mostly because it would be hilarious for Josh to re-record Brain parts that were re-recorded from 20 year old Josh tracks. :D

As much as it would be great to have an actual new album, comprised of all new material by the 2016-Present band, I'd say at best we may get one or two new songs from them on an eventual new album, with the rest being re-re-recorded CD era songs. 

If it was up to me, I'd say hold on to the 2.5-3 albums worth of CD era material for the 2028 20 year edition, with the three covers of CD1-3 being the boring bike, the cool red hand, and awesome grenade covers. They can have a super deluxe edition with a flash drive containing all of the various unfinished songs, remix album, bonus tracks, pre-bucket song versions, bucket songs, and the shit DJ and Bumble did.

If they ever decide to release a new album, it should be a back to the roots, straight-forward rock album. No quantized drums, or endless layers of keyboards, vocals and guitars. And make sure the guitars are alive, not processed or copy and pasted in a loop.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the over-the-top arrangements from the CD era. It's just that they should be back with something to prove now - that they are still capable of making fun music. And if it's not good, fuck it, work harder on the next one or try the experimental shit again. 

I know, I know. I'm not new here. Just an old man yelling at the clouds, I guess.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

If they ever decide to release a new album, it should be a back to the roots, straight-forward rock album. No quantized drums, or endless layers of keyboards, vocals and guitars. And make sure the guitars are alive, not processed or copy and pasted in a loop.

As much as I like AC/DC, I'm glad GN'R at least didn't go the route of releasing similar albums for their entire existence.

• Like 1