The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

54 minutes ago, Popcorn crew said:

That is why I think Axl is scared of singing new songs for Duff and Slash because he doesnt want to be judged or rediculed for his singing voice. If arrangement of the songs will be Axl suitable than he will bust his encouragement and record new album.

What a bunch of pseudo-psychologic bullshit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Popcorn crew said:

I think that Axl cant sing GnR songs anymore due to his voice damage. Now his voice lean or suites much more in Ac Dc playlist. So new material must be vocaly different than previouse records. Now even Duff has better voice range and Slash is using Myles for creative work or to be precise GnR type of songs.

That is why I think Axl is scared of singing new songs for Duff and Slash because he doesnt want to be judged or rediculed for his singing voice. If arrangement of the songs will be Axl suitable than he will bust his encouragement and record new album.

Otherwise it will be just nostalgy, money grab tours every few years.

This is huge exaggeration.He has been up and down for years, he could come back worse or he could come back sounding really good again. Do I expect shows that are great from ISE through to Paradise city? I wish it would happen but it's just not happening. There are a few songs within the catalogue that they need to work on (change keys, slow tempo, drop) but it seems the general idea is to fire ahead... hopefully that changes. 

I hope the Vince Neil coverage scared Axl a bit, nobody wants to come back and straight away be a negative story. He really just needs to come back at passable levels, that's a bit of mickey but generally good on the major hits.

Does anyone else feel as I do- that Axl's voice isn't as big a problem to them? 

Obviously I'd rather it was great....but if they brought the energy, new songs, looked like they weren't really bored etc, Axl not singing that well would just wash over me. It's low on my list of problems with their current situation really. 

Anyone else feel this way? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Obviously I'd rather it was great....but if they brought the energy, new songs, looked like they weren't really bored etc, Axl not singing that well would just wash over me. It's low on my list of problems with their current situation really. 

Definitely. I am all for new music. 

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's actually above new music, lethargic performances and everything else in my opinion. If the voice is poor, the band sucks. Doesn't matter how many rarely heard songs they add in or if Duffs jumps through a ring of fire, If Axl isn't on form the band is misfiring. They can disguise it from some people at the show, but if there's a broadcast there's no hiding it.

Do I think the band consider it a problem? I don't think they've given it first thought, nevermind a 2nd!  It should be a huge concern though especially if they are planning on sticking around for maybe another 10yrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

This is huge exaggeration.He has been up and down for years, he could come back worse or he could come back sounding really good again. Do I expect shows that are great from ISE through to Paradise city? I wish it would happen but it's just not happening. There are a few songs within the catalogue that they need to work on (change keys, slow tempo, drop) but it seems the general idea is to fire ahead... hopefully that changes. 

I hope the Vince Neil coverage scared Axl a bit, nobody wants to come back and straight away be a negative story. He really just needs to come back at passable levels, that's a bit of mickey but generally good on the major hits.

I agree that changing some of the song keys would help a lot. Idk why they haven’t done that yet. Like you said, hopefully the Vince Neil meltdown has scared Axl into taking a different performance approach for this tour. Maybe now he’ll be motivated to prove that he isn’t as washed up as Vince or something.

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I agree that changing some of the song keys would help a lot. Idk why they haven’t done that yet. Like you said, hopefully the Vince Neil meltdown has scared Axl into taking a different performance approach for this tour. Maybe now he’ll be motivated to prove that he isn’t as washed up as Vince or something.

you're assuming Axl thinks he needs to improve. That might not be the case. He could be thinking he sounds fine or good enough, delivering 3 hour shows or he doesn't care.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

If they put any amount of effort into the shows, they be much better regardless of Axl's voice. 

They could play the exact same songs, just in a different order every night and that alone would bring a whole new energy to each show. 

They won't though because it's much easier to go through the motions every night, put as little effort in as possible and just count the money afterwards. 

• Like 2

Exactly, just changing the order every night would do a lot. Plus choosing different songs, which suit Axl more, instead of that stubborn idea that all the current songs must be played no matter what, even if he doesn't sound good on them (there are about three songs that really should be played; the rest can at least alternate). Changing a key is not the way - Axl would thus admit he can't handle it any more. And god knows how it would sound in general. Plus, that would be the more complicated way. I hope the upcoming tour will be different - not only the playlist but the approach in this sense as well... 

I even do not have problrm with show voice. As I singalong it doesnt effect me. Yes, band energy and presence will be probably different. 

I was just saying and this is only my point of view, that if Slash put on table riffs that he uses for Myles, Axl will not be confortable in singing it unless  lyrics are suitable. 

On the other hand to be honest there is only few good songs on their albums so maybe it is other way around.

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

(there are about three songs that really should be played; the rest can at least alternate)

I think they have to play at least 10 songs and that's excluding shit like Civil War, Estranged, Rocket Queen, Don't Cry and Patience.

(WTTJ, ISE, Nightrain, Brownstone, KOHD, YCBM, PC, LALD, SCOM, NR)

have to be played in order to make non hardcore concert goers satisfied imo. The band is not exactly adventurous. The core of the show is tried and true and hasn't changed in a long time. They just play what they think most fans want to hear.

If Axl comes back and sounds like 2019, in my opinion it will be a huge problem. If he doesn't sound better now after a long break, it's hard to expect that he will sound better in some future period, the man will soon turn 60! But luckily Axl always sounded better after long breaks (except 2010-2011) 2002-2006, 2007-2009, 2014-2016. If that is the case, I can't wait for their return and new songs. :slash::axl::duff:

1 minute ago, We love Axl Rose said:

If Axl comes back and sounds like 2019, in my opinion it will be a huge problem. If he doesn't sound better now after a long break, it's hard to expect that he will sound better in some future period, the man will soon turn 60! But luckily Axl always sounded better after long breaks (except 2010-2011) 2002-2006, 2007-2009, 2014-2016. If that is the case, I can't wait for their return and new songs. :slash::axl::duff:

I saw Axl in 2016. I thought he sounded great in 2011 and 2012 (saw him months apart) when I saw him, better than 2016. He sounded best with AC/DC in 2016, also months apart from GN'R in the same year, so who knows. 

1 minute ago, We love Axl Rose said:

If that is the case, I can't wait for their return and new songs:slash::axl::duff:

New songs?

C'mon man. At some point, you can't keep being pissed at the band for no new music. Some fans never learn. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I mean, his voice would be good on an album. He brings the rasp when he wants to (see: AC/DC, a few sweet moments in the shows, 'It's So Easy' with Foo Fighters), but he's said it hurts him to sing that way so it's better for him to sing clean. He knows fans prefer his rasp, but not much can be done.

On 6/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, allwaystired said:

Haha - I love the fact they've included 'japanese bonus tracks'. Nice touch. Other than that it's probably the worst fake-tracklisting yet! 

Japanese bonus tracks? What is this 1998? :lol:

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think they have to play at least 10 songs and that's excluding shit like Civil War, Estranged, Rocket Queen, Don't Cry and Patience.

(WTTJ, ISE, Nightrain, Brownstone, KOHD, YCBM, PC, LALD, SCOM, NR)

have to be played in order to make non hardcore concert goers satisfied imo. The band is not exactly adventurous. The core of the show is tried and true and hasn't changed in a long time. They just play what they think most fans want to hear.

No, no they don't. I've discussed this here numerous times and don't wanna get into it again. The problem is, we're too close and too used to the stale list. I'm not saying they should drop everything all at once, but had they started alternating the stuff as early as 2001, you would barely think of some of the songs now. Their catalogue isn't big enough, and that's the problem. But other bands have handled this - a good argument for any excuses regarding GNR - and so would they. Lots of bands don't even play their biggest hits any more, and I haven't noticed the fans massively leaving the shows, making shitstorms on social media because the band didn't play a particular song. It's just our perpetuated illusion. 

I think I've even created a long post about what could be alternated with what. Guns wouldn't lose any fans if we only heard RQ or LALD a few times a year/tour. That's ridiculous. At least there would be some excitement. And I don't know of any other band of this magnitude that absolutely has to play like ten songs every fucking time. Preposterous. The least they can do is alternating, if not phasing it out altogether. In any case, this whole "must-play" concept is absurd. 

EDIT:

Plus, NITL was for the casuals, to tick the box. Now it's time to do something for us, no? 

Edited by jamillos

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No, no they don't. I've discussed this here numerous times and don't wanna get into it again. The problem is, we're too close and too used to the stale list. I'm not saying they should drop everything all at once, but had they started alternating the stuff as early as 2001, you would barely think of some of the songs now. Their catalogue isn't big enough, and that's the problem. But other bands have handled this - a good argument for any excuses regarding GNR - and so would they. Lots of bands don't even play their biggest hits any more, and I haven't noticed the fans massively leaving the shows, making shitstorms on social media because the band didn't play a particular song. It's just our perpetuated illusion. 

I think I've even created a long post about what could be alternated with what. Guns wouldn't lose any fans if we only heard RQ or LALD a few times a year/tour. That's ridiculous. At least there would be some excitement. And I don't know of any other band of this magnitude that absolutely has to play like ten songs every fucking time. Preposterous. The least they can do is alternating, if not phasing it out altogether. In any case, this whole "must-play" concept is absurd. 

EDIT:

Plus, NITL was for the casuals, to tick the box. Now it's time to do something for us, no? 

A band relies on nostalgia when they have nothing else to offer. The fact that they play these bloated 3hr sets and wear it like a badge of honour, cramming in as many tracks as possible with no regard for the quality of each individual performance goes to show how uninspired Axl is. He thinks he's going above and beyond with the 3hr sets, but it's just a case of quantity over quality. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

37 minutes ago, jamillos said:

EDIT:

for us, sure. I'm all for changing the stale setlist that is played more or less in the same order. I must have missed the debate on this topic or forgot. I just meant that from a commercial standpoint, it makes sense and Gn'R is a commercially aware band. There must be a reason why they're playing the same 10 songs in every show for at least 20 years now. I think the catalog is limited and these 10 songs are such classics now that it's kind of a blessing and a curse: a lot of people expect to hear these songs when they go see a Gn'R show. That's just how it is imo.

a show without these tunes could be considered weak to many fans who don't go to multiple shows cause of their iconic status. How many people want to hear Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied Up compared to SCOM and NR? this is a question that I think Axl and the band ask themselves. The band can do whatever they want to do, but this is not Pearl Jam. The product's worth diminishes if you don't play the hits. Gn'R is not the only band from that era that does this. A big part of the attraction to many is the nostalgia factor and the most immediate connection to it is through these tunes for the casual/semi casual fan imo.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

A band relies on nostalgia when they have nothing else to offer. The fact that they play these bloated 3hr sets and wear it like a badge of honour, cramming in as many tracks as possible with no regard for the quality of each individual performance goes to show how uninspired Axl is. He thinks he's going above and beyond with the 3hr sets, but it's just a case of quantity over quality. 

Right. 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

for us, sure. I'm all for changing the stale setlist that is played more or less in the same order. I must have missed the debate on this topic or forgot. I just meant that from a commercial standpoint, it makes sense and Gn'R is a commercially aware band. There must be a reason why they're playing the same 10 songs in every show for at least 20 years now. I think the catalog is limited and these 10 songs are such classics now that it's kind of a blessing and a curse: a lot of people expect to hear these songs when they go see a Gn'R show. That's just how it is imo.

a show without these tunes could be considered weak to many fans who don't go to multiple shows cause of their iconic status. How many people want to hear Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied Up compared to SCOM and NR? this is a question that I think Axl and the band ask themselves. The band can do whatever they want to do, but this is not Pearl Jam. The product's worth diminishes if you don't play the hits. Gn'R is not the only band from that era that does this. A big part of the attraction to many is the nostalgia factor and the most immediate connection to it is through these tunes for the casual/semi casual fan imo.

I maintain they can change it - or start working on it - any time without losing fans. There definitely are not 10 songs that need to be played at every gig. SCOM is one of the 3 biggest hits I had in mind, but if Axl sounds horrible on stuff like RQ or YCBM, they can just skip it, alternate it, whatever. Anyway, I hope the greatest hits era is behind us. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1