The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

47 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Why would he use Slash's material but not his own? That doesn't even makes sense 

Slash wrote it for the old GN’R as we know it, more or less blues doesn’t change a lot about it. Axl’s NuGNR ideas originated during the NuGNR era, developed with musicians playing differently and adjusted for these musicians to fit their style and the overall direction, whatever it was. 
I’m definitely not saying Axl shouldn’t use his own ideas, but I’d expect it to concern more lyrics rather than music, which should be more Slash-based. 
Anyway, a good mixture, good balance is what we need. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Good points. It will be interesting how the album is marketed. (If it ever happens)

My fear, I suppose, is that Slash will not be able to match the quality of the contributions of Buckethead and Robin, especially on tracks featuring the former GN'R guitarists heavily. In such a case, we may not know what we were missing out on (if anything) unless CD era versions of songs on the eventual next album leak, which is more likely than not seeing how GN'R stuff seems to leak all the time. I'd guess a fair number of the songs from the Village leaks that were not on CD will be on the next album in some form, so we can use those for comparison. 

If the instrumentals of CD2 tracks are completely re-done by the current lineup, best case is Frank is made to sound great in the studio (He sounded pretty good on his parts on the 2008 album, IMO), Duff, I'm sure can handle the bass, Richard can play some great guitar for songs that suit that Bucket style of excellent playing, and I hope Slash can play parts as good, if not better than where Robin was playing.

Richard told me that any of his parts on new material will be his, so much like Bumblefoot's playing where Buckethead was, Richard will be playing unique tracks perhaps where previous members played.

Well I think you kinda hit the point. We haven't heard the material with Robin, Bucket, Bumble, Brain etc. so when Slash & co redo everything it really isn't changing much for us, because we don't know the material at all at present. Now, there is of course the village leaks but those songs were recorded as demos in 1999? there's almost no chance that those songs are released in the same state as we've heard them, parts? of course but from start to finish, absolutely not... so, just like with CD leaks, best advice is not to get attached.

I can't see a GNR record (in general) that is going to have guitar work from Slash on this song and then the next is guitar work from Robin. I think there's a good possibility of Robin & co having song credits, but the performances are almost definitely replaced and the riffs are going to be tweaked for Slash's style. As much as I liked the Chinese direction, this really is the only logical direction I think they can go.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I would love to hear some of that.

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well, you can always look at the bright side. Whatever Slash does with Atlas Shrugged (assuming it will be on the album) can't be worse than what Bumblefoot may have done with it, considering what he did with Catcher in the Rye and on CD in general :lol:

Apparently there were additional riffs and ideas Slash had come up with that Axl liked, judging from these and other quotes:

Slash: We've got tapes of what Axl considers great songs, which from my point of view is just me playing the guitar! I haven't heard any lyrics or any vocals, so I don't know what a song is until then. [Metal Hammer, November 1995]

Axl: I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of [Slash] were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith's Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don't know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It's not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that's the reason why that material got scrapped. [Press release, Aug. 12, 2002]

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Those  must have been written in 1994: After Slash went on to record Snakepit 1 and he and Axl had a fight over that, they came to an agreement that Slash would split his time between working on GN'R and Snakepit (at least according to what Slash said back then). But soon after they clashed again over Paul Huge, Slash halted the rehearsals and, with the exception of the Zakk Wylde sessions in January 1995, he practically didn't take part in any rehearsals until the fall of 1996.

Before he returned in 1996, he said they had about 80 songs, which I assume included the stuff Slash had written in 1994, as well as the Duff/Izzy demos in 1995, what Duff and Matt wrote in 1996 and whatever Axl had written with Paul Tobias, Dizzy etc.:

Slash: We have tons of songs. Between the three existing members, you know, like Duff and Axl and I, we've got probably about 80 songs, you know. We just haven't sat down and actually done it because there's been so much political crap going on and I know that kids don't want to know about it but it does go on in this business and sometimes you have to deal with it directly because you can't, there's no other way around it and so, you know, we finally, you know, took the bull by the horns and just said, "look, we don't want to around anymore, let's just do it." [MTV Headbangers Ball, August 1996]

Apparently the vast majority of that was not completed songs, but, at least as far as the Slash stuff went, just riffs and ideas. So the current band would have to build songs around them.

The mid-90s stuff is really the most ‘mythical’ as there did seem to be a lot of activity regards to writing/riffs etc yet almost nothing has leaked from that time.

Its why I hope someone can interview Sorum as he was there AND would likely have loads of information as to what was written. I’m sure he said there was at least 8 fully written songs? And TBH - if there was a chapter in his book covering that time it would bump up the sales of his book!

I wonder if there has ever been a discussion on picking up any of the material from the failed '96 sessions? Central Park has always intrigued me, but for the most part, I'm all for a new record being completely filled with music from the Chinese sessions.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dean said:

I wonder if there has ever been a discussion on picking up any of the material from the failed '96 sessions? Central Park has always intrigued me, but for the most part, I'm all for a new record being completely filled with music from the Chinese sessions.

yeah, that would not disappoint me in the slightest. Bottom line is I just want them to release another album that is great. Richard mentioned they worked on something that originated from a Slash idea so at least 1 song has been contemplated it seems.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

The mid-90s stuff is really the most ‘mythical’ as there did seem to be a lot of activity regards to writing/riffs etc yet almost nothing has leaked from that time.

Its why I hope someone can interview Sorum as he was there AND would likely have loads of information as to what was written. I’m sure he said there was at least 8 fully written songs? And TBH - if there was a chapter in his book covering that time it would bump up the sales of his book!

There was a chapter in the leaked book, but it was a bit of a mess and not too many details.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There was a chapter in the leaked book, but it was a bit of a mess and not too many details.

Yeah - he has always kinda regurgitated the same info. But as someone who was actually there during that time, no longer in the band AND isn’t one to shy away from questions…….I just wish someone could get more info. I know he was on @Gambit83 podcast a while back so if he is ever on again if we could ask him about that time it would be a goldmine of almost unheard of information.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

yeah, that would not disappoint me in the slightest. Bottom line is I just want them to release another album that is great. Richard mentioned they worked on something that originated from a Slash idea so at least 1 song has been contemplated it seems.

I have no qualms about the quality of a new Guns N' Roses record - especially if it's filled with the music that was created in arguably Axl's most creative period as an artist. I was speaking with my friend who I haven't seen throughout this lockdown, nor have I messaged him frequently either due to life getting in the way for both of us, but he's a massive mark for Slash and told me Slash's last two records have been two of the worst Rock records he has heard in years. I can't comment, as I haven't heard them (was never a fan of VR bar a few tunes or his solo stuff), but I loved Slash's solo on Ozzy's Ordinary Man and all of his work with Guns is stellar, so I'd be foolish to think he wouldn't be at the top of his game on a new record, despite some concerns we all seem to have about the band, whether individually or collectively, in a live setting. 

Hopefully this show next month offers insight as to what lies ahead. New music being unveiled would certainly give us all a morale boost I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

but he's a massive mark for Slash and told me Slash's last two records have been two of the worst Rock records he has heard in years. 

If he thinks World on Fire is one of the worst rock albums he has heard in years he isn't listening to to many rock albums 

Even Living the Dream is a decent album at it's worst

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

If he thinks World on Fire is one of the worst rock albums he has heard in years he isn't listening to to many rock albums 

It's all subjective, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1

I would argue that Chinese Democracy had less "filler songs" than World on Fire.

Scrapped and Riad would make two fillers out of 14 songs while World on Fire only had the lead singles as "big guns". 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I would argue that Chinese Democracy had less "filler songs" than World on Fire.

Scrapped and Riad would make two fillers out of 14 songs while World on Fire only had the lead singles as "big guns". 

apples to oranges comparison though. It took Axl a lot longer to complete Chinese in its official form compared to the time it took Slash to complete WOF. (or any of his releases for that matter) one wanted to make a big, sweeping statement, the other just to capture the ideas that he composed at the time and turn it into songs. Much less ambitious.

what if Slash was motivated to work 10 years on an album? or even 5. Maybe he would've had the option to choose from more material that would have been even stronger.

take all the best stuff from each Slash release since 2010 until now and it's already a fairer comparison imo. That is what Chinese essentially is, but that's not how Slash works. Axl and Slash seems to be at the opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to their musical approach/process which is why I think they complemented each other so well.

having said that, it's good to have an album like Chinese to listen to. One of my favorites for sure while Slash's albums always leave me feeling like you can't get Slash's brand of hard rock anywhere else, but it could have been much better or it's simply undercooked.

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I mean that's like his opinion, man😁

But I agree with you, WOF is fairly stacked with great rock songs. Being hyper critical you still can't come away from hearing thinking there's at least 8 really good songs... minimum. I think there are some crazy standards out there. "Oh it just sounds like rehashed gnr... oh it doesn't sound enough like gnr". But yeah, nothing to lose sleep over!

17 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The first music Slash worked on in early 1994 was rejected and ended up on the Snakepit album. Slash came back to GN'R after touring with Snakepit, especially for some sessions in 1996, and they then worked on new music. I have written about these sessions and what came out of them here: (29) 19. DECEMBER 1994-OCTOBER 1996: AXL AND SLASH FIGHTS, SLASH QUITS - Page 2 (a-4-d.com) 

With Slash leaving the band and Axl unable to find a similar-style replacement, it is likely that at least some of the songs they had worked on were put aside at the time and not worked on further. 

EDIT: Axl actually said that material [they worked on] got scrapped.

That link is really handy. So it seems there was 7 full songs done - still amazed no material from that time has ever leaked. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sosso said:

Why would he use Slash's material but not his own? That doesn't even makes sense 

What? He'll put his own lyrics on it.

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Matt mentions it but doesn't give many details.

10 hours ago, Sosso said:

I don't think that Geffen would have agreed to release a new album without a world tour. They could do that with a cover album but not with a dozen of new songs. 

Well we're getting the world tour now, between this year and next.

6 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I actually think WOF and LTD and 2 of the best rock albums that have come out in the last 10 years or so, compared to other stuff in that time period. LTD is actually really good; I think a lot of people are clouded by the fact that it came before a new GnR album and it doesn't have Axl on it. They spent a lot of time on it and wrote some great songs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Just a live bootleg from Argentina, i believe. Bootlegs tend to get caught up in the search results of a new album, lol.

I remember that some time ago with a 2011 bootleg, haha. I wish CD2 came out by 2011...

47 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I view Riad & Scraped as "failed experiments" rather than "fillers".

7 full songs instrumentally, no vocals.

Even still though - it’s still quite a fete that literally nothing is known about these songs. After all the leaks over the years you’d think/hope something would have appeared!

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Even still though - it’s still quite a fete that literally nothing is known about these songs. After all the leaks over the years you’d think/hope something would have appeared!

Do we know to what extent Slash might have used these songs for his other projects? The obvious retort would have been that if these were songs written and demoes in 1995/1996 for GN'R, Axl would have sued Slash if he took them elsewhere. There is also that quote that they only worked on Axl songs, which obviously Slash couldn't have taken elsewhere. But then we have songs like Fall To Pieces that we know Slash worked on before he left GN'R and possible could have been one of the songs (except that it wasn't "one of Axl's songs"). Maybe Axl for whatever reason allowed Slash to take the songs when he left (assuming it was songs based on his riffs)? Sounds a bit atypical but you never know. And what about Hard School? This song was likely worked on in 1996 before Slash left the band. That could easily be one of the songs. This I Love? Hardly, since it is a ballad. Could be that some of the other songs from the locker leaks originated in this period.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Do we know to what extent Slash might have used these songs for his other projects? The obvious retort would have been that if these were songs written and demoes in 1995/1996 for GN'R, Axl would have sued Slash if he took them elsewhere. There is also that quote that they only worked on Axl songs, which obviously Slash couldn't have taken elsewhere. But then we have songs like Fall To Pieces that we know Slash worked on before he left GN'R and possible could have been one of the songs (except that it wasn't "one of Axl's songs"). Maybe Axl for whatever reason allowed Slash to take the songs when he left (assuming it was songs based on his riffs)? Sounds a bit atypical but you never know. And what about Hard School? This song was likely worked on in 1996 before Slash left the band. That could easily be one of the songs. This I Love? Hardly, since it is a ballad. Could be that some of the other songs from the locker leaks originated in this period.

I know - it’s probably why it’s one of the most interesting periods of the bands history for me as we absolutely know stuff was worked on but that’s about it.

Aside from Sorum…I don’t know who else would be able to shine a light on those sessions as it’s almost guaranteed the ‘big three’ won’t offer up any info (and certainly didn’t when Slash/Duff had their books).