The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Exactly what I thought of. That TIL version, omg. However, he might get himself into a pickle this way, because if the recording is too good and he's not able to be anywhere near it live, the difference will be too palpable and painful. 

Even if what you're saying corresponded with Axl's viewpoint, Slash is not the kind of guy who would just tour the same stuff endlessly. Not even for money - they've made the buck now and whatever family bullshit he had to pay, he's paid off. And GN'R never came off as the kind of people who would be in it just for money. Never in the history. Quite the opposite, they've always pursuited something higher even if that meant losing money (Axl refusing offers etc.). Call it integrity or whatever. 

So yeah, it may take a time, but a new record is coming out. Pure realism here. 

Slash from 1996 is not the same as Slash from now. He would ABSOLUTELY tour the same shit for the rest of his life for money. He did an episode of American Idol even tho he doesn’t know jack shit about signing. He went on stage in a glitter suit and played the tired SCOM riff with the Black Eyed Peas at the Super Bowl for fucks sake. Plus, look at the crazy alimony he has to pay now!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That's not an evidence for who wrote which part of which song. But this is an excuse by Slash that always bothered me.

"We didn't use him as a singer because it sounded too much like GNR"

"We don't use these songs, they're sounding too much like Guns"

As it's a bad thing to sound like GNR.

SLASH, MOST OF YOUR FANS WANNA HEAR EXACTLY THAT! The more it sounds like GNR the better.

I guess Slash wanted to fully promote VR at that point, which meant supporting Scott Weiland's view that the songs sounded too GN'R or like Bad Company.

But he did say in the same interview that those songs were "probably the best Guns N' Roses record" (he also said that Izzy brought them ideas he had been working on before):

Slash on Izzy's idea of makin' a little tour with him and Duff as singers:

No. We joked about it. I mean that's what Izzy. There was a point when Izzy was hangin' out with us, we already had Dave Kushner, but Izzy called up one day and he goes: ,I've been writin' some songs - what are you guys doin'?' And we said: ,We're just lookin' for singers and jammin' down at the rehearsal studio. So he came down and we hang out for couple weeks and we wrote probably (pause) about ten songs that I think would probably make. It's sort of fantasy for some people but probably the best Guns N' Roses record (notice: by the way - this sentence broke my heart) . All the music was very sort of. Because me and Izzy and Duff playin' together obviously it's gonna sound like that. But it was cool, we had a good time, it was very nostalgic and all that kinda stuff and I remember at one point Izzy was goin': ,Let's just roll all the shit and I will sing and Duff will sing, we'll go out'. And it sounds cute and everything but my aspirations were a way higher. So when Izzy took off we just continued on doin' what we were doin'.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Exactly. I struggle to understand how any long-time fan can truly believe at this stage that a new album is coming, other than clutching on to blind hope.

Apparently you forgot how long it took for CD to come out and how many people were saying it would never come out. I still remember the jokes about how Axl's great-grandchildren might release it one day.

I have no doubt a new album will come out. Maybe in two years, or maybe in 15 years from now, but there's no reason to think it won't happen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Exactly what I thought of. That TIL version, omg. However, he might get himself into a pickle this way, because if the recording is too good and he's not able to be anywhere near it live, the difference will be too palpable and painful. 

Even if what you're saying corresponded with Axl's viewpoint, Slash is not the kind of guy who would just tour the same stuff endlessly. Not even for money - they've made the buck now and whatever family bullshit he had to pay, he's paid off. And GN'R never came off as the kind of people who would be in it just for money. Never in the history. Quite the opposite, they've always pursuited something higher even if that meant losing money (Axl refusing offers etc.). Call it integrity or whatever. 

Yeah….. I’d be surprised if any vocals were that level of rasp throughout a song. However even if it did….I’d still take a solid gold studio version regardless of what it sounded like live - no guarantee it would be played live anyway either.

• Like 2

Just now, jamillos said:

He's got the best of both worlds. He can bring the money in by doing the GNR thing fairly effortlessly, then go off and do what he wants creatively on his own. 

I reckon most of us would be happy to maintain a lavish lifestyle by plodding around the world playing the same songs. It's the day job for him I'd wager. The 'fun' for him seems to be in SMKC, where he looks SO much more animated on stage. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Apparently you forgot how long it took for CD to come out and how many people were saying it would never come out. I still remember the jokes about how Axl's great-grandchildren might release it one day.

I have no doubt a new album will come out. Maybe in two years, or maybe in 15 years from now, but there's no reason to think it won't happen.

The difference then is, we knew Axl was writing/recording. There's zero evidence that he's written or recorded anything since 2008.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Yup! I sometimes wonder if people are just being highly sarcastic and I am not getting it - e.g. "I think the new album will feature Josh Freese's original drum tracks from 1998 along with Axl's 1999 vocals!" I mean I kinda hope I am being played coz that is verging on fucking mental!

The vocals on Chinese were for the most part at least 9 years old by the time the record dropped though, it's definitely not unreasonable to think that there is a strong possibility of those vocal recordings being featured on the majority of a new record. Would it be that bad if it were? Also, being mental and GNR in general very much go hand in hand!!

some people are acting like they can tell the future. No one knows what's gonna happen, at least not anyone in this forum. Maybe Axl and the band will release another album, maybe not. Just because it hasn't happened in a very long time, doesn't necessarily mean what some fans think it does.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

The difference then is, we knew Axl was writing/recording. There's zero evidence that he's written or recorded anything since 2008.

Fernando claimed otherwise, not that he'd be the definition of reliable source for most on here mind you, but he did confirm on Reddit that Axl has continued to write/record music since Chinese dropped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I guess Slash wanted to fully promote VR at that point, which meant supporting Scott Weiland's view that the songs sounded too GN'R or like Bad Company.

But he did say in the same interview that those songs were "probably the best Guns N' Roses record" (he also said that Izzy brought them ideas he had been working on before):

Slash on Izzy's idea of makin' a little tour with him and Duff as singers:

No. We joked about it. I mean that's what Izzy. There was a point when Izzy was hangin' out with us, we already had Dave Kushner, but Izzy called up one day and he goes: ,I've been writin' some songs - what are you guys doin'?' And we said: ,We're just lookin' for singers and jammin' down at the rehearsal studio. So he came down and we hang out for couple weeks and we wrote probably (pause) about ten songs that I think would probably make. It's sort of fantasy for some people but probably the best Guns N' Roses record (notice: by the way - this sentence broke my heart) . All the music was very sort of. Because me and Izzy and Duff playin' together obviously it's gonna sound like that. But it was cool, we had a good time, it was very nostalgic and all that kinda stuff and I remember at one point Izzy was goin': ,Let's just roll all the shit and I will sing and Duff will sing, we'll go out'. And it sounds cute and everything but my aspirations were a way higher. So when Izzy took off we just continued on doin' what we were doin'.

Ok, that was new to me. In his book Slash mentioned "the best GNR record" but more in the sense of what they've written together when Izzy was there iirc. It's the first time I read this quote and it's pretty obvious now that Izzy should have gotten writing credits for Do It For The Kids. 

But Slash does this often when he's involved in something new. It's the best feeling since GNR... It's the best team spirit since AFD... and so on. I have no doubts that it would have been a great record but the best gnr record ever? Probably not ...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dean said:

The vocals on Chinese were for the most part at least 9 years old by the time the record dropped though, it's definitely not unreasonable to think that there is a strong possibility of those vocal recordings being featured on the majority of a new record. Would it be that bad if it were? Also, being mental and GNR in general very much go hand in hand!!

Only the hardcore fans would care about the songwriting credits and liner notes anyway. Most of the casual fans would listen to the album once or twice. They couldn't care less if Izzy, Bucket or Brain are involved through archive material. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

He's got the best of both worlds. He can bring the money in by doing the GNR thing fairly effortlessly, then go off and do what he wants creatively on his own. 

I reckon most of us would be happy to maintain a lavish lifestyle by plodding around the world playing the same songs. It's the day job for him I'd wager. The 'fun' for him seems to be in SMKC, where he looks SO much more animated on stage. 

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Exactly. I struggle to understand how any long-time fan can truly believe at this stage that a new album is coming, other than clutching on to blind hope.

As long as GNR doesn't interfere with SMKC, I don't see why Slash would want to leave. 

I'm not saying he would leave, I'm saying there'd be some kind of pressure on Axl from his side should things keep going the same way endlessly. Sure, he can blow off steam with SMKC, but it's Guns that made him famous and iconic, and I still want to believe they (or at least him) want to do something with the legacy. Something else than 2018-2020. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

Just now, jamillos said:

I'm not saying he would leave, I'm saying there'd be some kind of pressure on Axl from his side should things keep going the same way endlessly. Sure, he can blow off steam with SMKC, but it's Guns that made him famous and iconic, and I still want to believe they (or at least him) want to do something with the legacy. Something else than 2018-2020. 

I get the impression no-one anyone puts pressure on Axl any more from any direction. It's probably why he seems a lot happier. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I get the impression no-one anyone puts pressure on Axl any more from any direction. It's probably why he seems a lot happier. 

I mean friendly, "pal, let's do something new for a change" pressure. Not "do this or I'm leaving" pressure. :) There has to be something going on. Has to be. 

35 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Only the hardcore fans would care about the songwriting credits and liner notes anyway. Most of the casual fans would listen to the album once or twice. They couldn't care less if Izzy, Bucket or Brain are involved through archive material. 

No doubt. There's casuals who thought Slash was on CD, so that's telling. 

15 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I mean friendly, "pal, let's do something new for a change" pressure. Not "do this or I'm leaving" pressure. :) There has to be something going on. Has to be. 

I admire your optimism!

I think you're where I was at about a year ago! 

• Haha 1

Perhaps new album has been recorded for a while but they are tinkering with it a lot trying to make it really good. Disputing which songs to drop, what arrangement/mix sounds best. Must feel a lot of pressure to follow on from 90s era Guns knowing the album is going to get loads of attention because Slash is on it. Axl is a known perfectionist. Or, very optimistically, the release date is already set and it’ll surprise us all….we can dream!

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

A new record has been mentioned several times last time I checked. You not having any evidence doesn't mean a thing.

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I'm sure Slash wants a new GNR album but I also doubt he is losing sleep over it. He has the freedom to put out new music how he sees fit outside of the band and I'd bet as far is he is concerned, he got his rightful place back in the band. I believe the rumors that he regretted his decision to leave, it's not like he showed up to Axl's house for no reason in the 2000s.

Slash gets his place in GNR back, Axl gets credibility and they all get to rake in obscene amounts of money without much effort. It's a win-win for them. They probably figure there isn't much inventive to put out a record. Their moment of cultural relevance has long passed them by, they are a legacy act and they know it. They probably figure why stir the pot and risk rifts over creative differences again?

It sucks for us die hard fans, but it's pretty clear they aren't going to put out a record again. They just had almost 2 years off, if they didn't do it then, then it just isn't going to happen

2016 was pretty good closure for me in terms of caring a lot. It's disappointing they won't do new music now that they are back together, and it's a missed opportunity, but things could have ended worse I guess

Please don't make an assumption based on your own perception. No one really knows what will  happen. You do have Slash saying that he has worked on a new GNR album. 

Additionally, people thought that GNR would NEVER reunite. I thought that as well after the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. 3 years laters, Axl, Slash, and Duff reunited. You just never know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I think he has proven more than enough that his words mean nothing.

It’s only one of two sources that have mentioned Axl continuing to write post Chinese, the other being Baz, who raved on about a tune DJ and Axl wrote together. 

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

Guns N Roses will never do another album. I really believe that, not just saying it for effect. It is what it is. I ain't even mad anymore. More than anything, I would like to know why it is the way it is. What is it that has stopped Axl from wanting to put out new music for so many years? We'll never truly know, as Axl is never going to answer that question honestly. If he ever is asked again about new music it'll be the standard horseshit answer, that he and his minions have been churning out for over a decade now. "We're always working on stuff." "New music is a priority." "We're weighing up our options, figuring things out for now." 

I'd love to know the truth. My guess is that Axl just can't be bothered. No insecurities, no perfectionism, no record label issues, he just can't be bothered.

What a waste then of time and talent.

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That's not an evidence for who wrote which part of which song. But this is an excuse by Slash that always bothered me.

"We didn't use him as a singer because it sounded too much like GNR"

"We don't use these songs, they're sounding too much like Guns"

As it's a bad thing to sound like GNR.

SLASH, MOST OF YOUR FANS WANNA HEAR EXACTLY THAT! The more it sounds like GNR the better.

I think at that point he was trying to differentiate VR from GnR and make it seem like VR was different and better than the old stuff.

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Slash from 1996 is not the same as Slash from now. He would ABSOLUTELY tour the same shit for the rest of his life for money. He did an episode of American Idol even tho he doesn’t know jack shit about signing. He went on stage in a glitter suit and played the tired SCOM riff with the Black Eyed Peas at the Super Bowl for fucks sake. Plus, look at the crazy alimony he has to pay now!

That American Idol episode was great. On a show that's all about pop/country and record label suits it was cool to see someone like Slash bring some real RnFnR to the show.

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

"It's just a gig."

I don't doubt that Axl has kept himself busy behind doors (even today). It's totally possible that he still writes new stuff. That was never the problem.

For all we know, Axl may have to this day (counting full albums, instrumentals, sketches, whatever), probably 3 or 4 full albums of different lineups rotting somewhere in his vault. 

The problem is that he doesn't release anything, not that he doesn't write. I think we all can agree that, after the Village leaks, the amount of written material is definitely not the problem.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 4